A Regretful Past

The Light in the Dark [Discontinued Indefinitely]

 

[Sooyoung’s POV]

After spending the night, the Jung house was still tense and rather gloomy. Jessica took special care of her sister and I had to admire their sisterly bond. I’ve never had any siblings as far as I remember and was a little curious to know what it felt like.

Seeing as neither of them were too keen on cooking, given the current situation, I decided to head out and pick up some food for the two. It shocked me how empty their fridge was, despite the recent “shopping” Jessica did. She only picked up some fruit and some random ingredients that couldn’t really amount to anything.

I simply chuckled under my breath as I wondered how they even survived so long on their own.

I sighed deeply. My somewhat light-hearted thoughts were shoved aside by the many thoughts of what happened with Amber. She was very loyal, and I could tell by her eyes that Krystal held a deep impression within her heart.

Eventually, I couldn’t take it anymore and decided to take a detour towards my old friend’s apartment.

~~~~~~~

Walking to the front door, I was about to knock. I barely tapped the wood before the door swung wide open.

“Krys! ...oh.” Amber opened the door only to have a disappointed look on her face. I couldn’t help but notice how dark the apartment was and there were dark, sunken rings around her eyes as if she hadn’t slept or eaten in days. It was rather odd, considering vampires didn’t need either of those things.

“You going to let me in?” I asked after we stood awkwardly staring at each other.

Amber seemed to snap out of her daze and nodded.  “Ah, right... sorry.  Come in.”

She moved aside and I walked passed. I raised my brow and observed how messy the entire apartment was. It was like déjà-vu. Paper and magazines were tossed everywhere, some even shredded and crumpled. Clothes were also scattered over lamps and tables. Garbage and other debris littered the floor and some things I just didn’t even want to know what they were. It somehow turned into a dump overnight.

“What happened here?” I asked, still a little taken back from the mess.

“Rough night.” She answered vaguely and I brushed off the couch to make room to sit as I watched her take a seat across from me, not bothering to clear any space and merely sat on top of it all.

“Well I think I’ve gathered that much... Krystal had a rough night herself.” I mumbled.

At the mention of her girlfriend’s name, Amber perked up and looked at me with desperate eyes.

“Y-you talked to her? I-is she okay? I tried to contact her b-but her phone was off.” She began to bombard me with worry and questions. I eventually had to drape my hand over to stop her from talking.

“She’s fine... physically. Emotionally, she’s a little unstable. She thinks you cheating on her.” I explain calmly.

Amber’s eyes widen. “W-what? I’d never cheat on her! You have to believe me!” She buries her face in her palms.

“I know, so care to explain why you bailed on her so suddenly?” I ask, hoping to finally get some answers.

Amber sighed, looking up at me with her deep, red eyes. She hadn’t even worn her contacts, which made me all the more curious to know what happened.

With that, she began to explain everything. From the deal she had with this Hyuna girl, and the whole meeting at the club last night.

I had to say that I was a little surprised. I knew Amber had to get her “fix” somewhere, but to keep this secret from Krystal for so long was a bit much.

“Have you even thought of how Krystal is feeling?” I raised my tone a little. 

“Of course I have! But it’ll only be worse if she knew the truth...” Amber’s voice cracked slightly.

I raised my brow, a little confused. “She knows you’re a vampire right? So she obviously knows your nature... why must you hide this from her?”

Amber lowered her head and mumbled something rather inaudible, even my hearing couldn’t catch.

“What?”

Amber looks up, staring me straight in the eyes.

“I don’t want her see the blood thirsty monster I am.” She finally spoke clearly.

It was my turn to lower my head. I fully understood where she was coming from. Everyday I resented what I was until I met Taeyeon, Tiffany and the kids. Being with them made me feel a little more... human.

“I don’t want to hurt her,” she continued, while I remained silent. “Even though she’s accepted that I’m a vampire, she hasn’t fully accepted our true nature.” She emphasized her last words and I just nodded.

“I’m not like you Soo... I can’t go a few days without getting cravings. I don’t know how you’ve done it, but I’m a little envious.” She

I just cringed.

 

{Flashback}

I was sitting at a local park bench, watching my prey go by. I just crossed my arms, casually examining and scoping out my next meal.

A small school of neighbourhood children from the local day care passed on by. All that fresh and active blood pumping madly as they giggled.

I felt a hard tug on my pant leg and turned my head to see a small girl looking at me innocently.

“Uhm miss... can you help me get my balloon?” she asked, pointing up at the large, yellow balloon caught in the tree above me.

I raised my brow and was ready to tell her off, but a young woman came up and pulled the small girl away.

“Jiyoung! What did I tell you about wandering off?” she scolded softly before turning her attention to me. “Sorry to bother you miss.” She apologized politely.

I observed her a little more. She was rather young, maybe in her mid-to late twenties. She had a soft, motherly gaze and really gave off a kind aura. Best of all, she looked rather... delicious.

I grinned widely and stood up.

“No worries.” I politely smiled and looked up at the balloon, easily reaching up and grabbing it.

“Here you are.” I passed it to the little girl who gave me a bright smile. I had to fight back the disgusted expression wanting to show itself.

“What do you say?” the young woman asked the child.

“Thank you!” she said before skipping back to the group.

“Thanks again for doing that.” The woman smiled gently.

I smiled back. “It was nothing.”

She was about to walk off, but I stopped her. “Actually, sorry to be a bother, but I’m a little new around here. Do you mind showing me where the café is? If you have a moment.” I lied rather smoothly, hoping she’d take the bait.

She thought for a moment. “There is one nearby actually. I can show you after we drop the kids back off at the day care if you want.”

I nodded, still smiling. “That would be great.”

I strongly resisted the urge to kill her right then. Her bright and happy aura made me want to vomit. Such emotions were pointless. Especially when there is nothing in this world to be happy about.

I followed her until we finally reached the day care. All of the kids hugged her before running inside the small building.

“I can show you where it is now.” She smiled and I forced one back. She was really irritating me with all her smiles. She won’t be smiling much longer once I’m done with her.

I grinned as she led me down the street.

“So where are you from?” she asked and I raised my brow at her. “I just mean, we don’t get many visitors around here. It’s usually a pretty quite town.”

I nodded. “I’m from down east. Just out of town. In a small farming village.”

“Oh... must be even quieter there huh?” she giggled and I remained silent.

Taking it as a sign that I was done talking she too stopped. After walking a few more minutes, I noticed the street we were on was pretty abandoned. We were passing an alleyway.

“It’s just around the—“ she began but I forcibly pushed her into the dark alley.

She fell to the ground and whimpered.

“I think this is far enough.” I grinned wickedly.

“W-what are y-you doing?” she stuttered, sliding backwards as I neared her.

I took off my dark glasses and eyed her, revealing my teeth, my lips.

“V-Vamp—“ she didn’t finish as I charged her and roughly pinned her to the ground.

“You humans are so gullible...” I chuckled, as she just looked petrified. “You’re too kind for your own good. Now look at the position you’re in.”

“P-please...” she shook uncontrollably.

I just laughed, wanting to play with her a little. “Please what?”

She didn’t answer and just continued to shake under my gaze. I lowered my head towards her and whispered into her ear.

“Tell me, where is your smile now?” I mocked and she continued to sob and turn away. Angrily, I grabbed her face with my hand and forced her to look at me. “Where is that thing that you humans call hope? Huh?! Where is it!?” I hissed.

She continued to sob and that soft, sweet aura was now gone. It was consumed by fear... and I could only grin.

“S-stop this... please...” she finally spoke in a cracked voice. She was breaking down.

“I won’t.” I said solemnly. “You know why?” I didn’t wait for a response and just looked her dead in the eyes. “Because I hate humans... especially humans like you. All bright and happy... it makes me want to throw up.”

Her face was now unreadable. She was still fearful no doubt, but somehow it was different. It was then that I was caught off guard.

She smiled.

I tightened my grip on her face. I couldn’t understand it. She was in a near death situation, yet she still smiles. “How can you still smile?!”

“Because... I have something to love.” She answered calmly with that stupid, smug grin on her lips. “Something that someone like you will never understand.”

She really began to irritate me and I couldn’t hold back anymore.

“I’m done playing with you.” I gritted my teeth and didn’t hesitate to sink my teeth into her neck.

She let out a shrill shriek as I finished my business.

------ Next Morning ---

I was flipping through the television channels when one news station caught my eye.

[““In other news, the body of a young woman was found in an alley of downtown Busan early this morning. Witnesses claimed they could hear a loud screaming coming from the streets, calling the police. There was a search, and what they found was the body of Park Hyo-jin. It was found mangled, and there is currently no evidence or lead on the culprit. Investigations have yet to be made…”]

I grinned widely and continued to watch in amusement.

[“Reports about the woman was that she was a day care worker and single mother of two who are now at the St. Catherine’s orphanage...”]

It then proceeded to show blurry images of the kids crying.

I turned off the T.V. and just sat in the darkness of my apartment. For some reason, I didn’t have the urge to watch anymore.

I simply shrugged and got up to find my next victim of the day.

{End Flashback}

 

I tried to shake off the memory, but it burned deeply into my skull.

“Soo?” Amber asked, breaking my thoughts.

I finally raised my head furling my brows. “You know, it’s not that easy for me either. Every night, I can’t close my eyes without seeing the petrified faces of all the innocent people I’ve killed. All the people that I slaughtered mercilessly out of spite.”

Amber looked at me apathetically. “Sorry Soo.”

I sighed. “It’s alright.” I stood up. I needed to clear my head.

“I need to go... you should give Krystal some space for now. Then try to reconcile with each other. I’ll warn you that you’re on Jessica’s hit list though.” I smirked, lightening the atmosphere a little.

Amber chuckled. “Thanks bud, I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for coming over... it feels a lot better to get it all out.”

I smiled softly at her. “Anytime. If you ever need to talk, just give me a call.”

She nodded and put her hand on my shoulder. “You too. If you need to vent out anything, I’m always here.”

I nodded. “Thanks, but for now you should deal with your own problems. Starting with the apartment, this place is a dump.” I teased.

She hit me on the shoulder and we both laughed as I left.

-----

I sat in my car and just stared blankly at the steering wheel. The memories I’ve been trying to suppress for so long are starting to surface. The mere thought of it scared me. I could fully understand where Amber was coming from.

My phone buzzed and I stared at it, reading the message.

 

To: Me

[Are you coming back or what? I’m starving.]

From: Jesshika

 

I grinned and hit a reply.

 

To: Jesshika

[Yeah sorry, got stuck in heavy traffic, on my way back soon.]

From: Me

 

“I wonder... would you run away if you knew my past?” I thought out loud, staring at my phone.

I shook the thought and started up the car, pulling away towards the Jung house. 

 


 

Hey Awesome Readers! 

So here's a pretty angsty chapter (probably because I was listening to some dark/angsty music) ... but I hope you liked it! 

What do you think of past Sooyoung? Will Krystal forgive Amber? What will happen if she found out the truth? What are TaeNy up to? lol 

Also, I haven't had a chance to properly thank these lovely people who upvoted my story :

Kulsst, 99darkkiller, Recalbratin & LaizaL  ===> Thank you very much! ^^ 

Comments/Feedback much appreciated! 

Until next time~

~Rainey

RANDOM BONUS: 

Only Sica can fail hard, yet still win at the same time.. :P

Speaking of fails.....