The Next Day...

The Light in the Dark [Discontinued Indefinitely]

 

[Jessica’s POV]

I groaned and grabbed my throbbing head.

“Urgh, what happened? Where am I?” I blinked a few times to clear my vision as I lay in an unfamiliar surrounding.

“UNNIE!!!!!” I heard a scream and someone burst through the door tackling me.

“Ah!” I yelped and the one who tackled me quickly got off and backed away.

“W-who are you? W-where’s Unnie?!” the small girl asked.

“Unnie?” I asked and rubbed my forehead. I could barely focus on what was going on.

“Yeah! That’s Soo-Unnie’s bed!” she pouted and crossed her arms.

‘Aish, who is this kid?’ “Look kid, I don’t know what’s going on either…” I explained sitting up and swung myself over the bed.

“UMMA!!!!!” she screamed and ran away.

I groaned at the high-pitched yelling.

Soon the young girl returned with an older girl at her side.

“Omo! Who are you?” she asked looking at me.

I narrowed my eyes. “Who are you?” I repeated the question back.

She gave me a confusing stare then just smiled. “Sooyoung must have brought you home last night…”

I scratched my head. “Sooyoung?”

I stopped then suddenly remembered. “S-she brought m-me here?”

The older girl nodded. “That explains why she was sleeping on the couch then. I’ll go get her.”

The young girl stuck her tongue out at me and followed her ‘Umma’.

I just sat there looking around, trying to ease the painful headache. The room looked fairly normal like any other person’s room. There was a desk with a computer, a dresser, a small bookshelf and a bedside table…kind of like a college dorm room actually. There was also a mini-bulletin with pictures pinned on it. There were lots of two kids and Sooyoung. There were also a few with the ‘ummas’.

My lips curved into a smile as I viewed the photos. She really wasn’t like the other vampires.

I snapped back to the bed as I heard footsteps nearing the room.

Sooyoung entered with a glass of water and a couple pills. “Here, these should stop your headache.”

I eyed the glass and pills as if they were foreign objects. “Don’t worry, its actually water.” She teased.

I twisted my brows in confusion. “What do you mean?”

She simply shook her head. “Nevermind.”  She pushed the glass and pills towards me. I reluctantly took them and they were already having an effect in relieving the pain in my aching brain.

“Why did you bring me here?” I asked her after a few moments of silence.

“Well you kind of had too much to drink last night and passed out.” She explained rather blandly.

I really couldn’t remember much. All I remembered was trying to run out of the building and Sooyoung saving me from some creep.

“Did I drink? I don’t remember drinking.” I said trying to recall what I drank exactly.

She scratched the back of her head and chuckled. “Yeah, a little bit.”

“Where’s my jacket? I need to call my sister…” I mumbled, searching around the room.

“Oh about that… I kind of forgot it at the club last night.” She explained.

“Seriously? My phone and wallet were in there!” I put my head in my palm.

Sooyoung gently pulled my hand away from my face. “It’s okay, I called Hyo, she said she found it, so we can go pick it up later.” 

I stared at her for a brief moment. Why do I feel so calm around her? She’s a vampire! I should go running for the hills, but every time she’d stare at me with those eyes… Aish! Snap out of it Jessica Jung!

“Hyo?”

She smiled. “Oh Hyoyeon. She’s the co-owner and a friend of mine. That’s why I was at the club actually.”

My eyes widened, a little shocked at the coincidence. “Really? My cousin is the owner…she invited me.”

“Really? What a coincidence…” Sooyoung answered with a surprised expression herself.

There was awkward silence when the little girl that screamed earlier bounced into the room, jumping on Sooyoung lap.

“Breakfast is ready~!” she sang.

Sooyoung ruffled the girl’s hair. “Okay, thanks kiddo.”

Yoona smiled up at Sooyoung and pointed at me. “Unnie, who is this weird lady in your bed?” she asked innocently.  

“W-weird lady?” I was taken aback by her blunt comment.

Sooyoung chuckled. “She’s a friend.”

A friend? We barely knew each other… I gave her a confused look, but she just winked at me.

“A friend?” The young girl just sat and observed me. I felt a little intimidated by the way she was inspecting me. It was like she was silently judging me.

“So, why don’t you head on down, we’ll be down in a few minutes.” Sooyoung explained and the young girl happily obliged, skipping out of the room.

“Quite a character…” I commented as she left the room.

Sooyoung glanced at me. “You’re quite the character yourself.”  She said almost mockingly.

“What do you mean by that?” I narrowed my eyes at her.

She raised her hands innocently. “Nothing. Let’s go have some breakfast.”

I just nodded and got out of the bed, following her towards the scent of fresh eggs and hash browns.

-----

“American-style breakfast! Yay!” The young girl smiled happily, swinging her legs as she sat at the table.

I noticed there was another girl sitting quietly, not really giving much attention to anything else.

“Can you pour the orange juice honey?” A young woman asked as she was getting plates ready.

“Sure thing~” the other one, who I recognized as the one that walked into the room, ran around, pouring glasses of orange juice. Six of them to be exact, I guess that included me… a complete stranger.

I awkwardly stood by Sooyoung as she was the only recognizable person in the room.

“Why don’t you take a seat?” she offered.

I gave her a look of uncertainty. “Is it okay?” I asked.

She nodded. “Of course… you’re our guest.” She winked down at me.

I quickly averted my gaze to the ground, and shuffled over to the table, cautiously taking a seat.

Sooyoung soon followed, and soon everyone was seated. They all began eating and engaging in small talk. I glanced over at Sooyoung who was devouring her meal like there was no tomorrow.

“Don’t be shy, dig in!” The young woman smiled at me. Her eyes were in the shape of crescents. I nodded meekly and ate up.

It was surprisingly pleasant, both the food and the atmosphere. I’ve never had a real breakfast like this in a long time. It was always just my sister and I, and we hardly engaged in any conversation, let alone ate real home-cooked meal. The only time Krystal would actually cook was when Amber came over, and I couldn’t cook to save my life.

“So, are you going to introduce us to your friend, or are we just going to remain anonymous?” I broke out of my thoughts and glanced up at the expectant eyes, then to Sooyoung.

She swallowed her food and cleared . “Ah, right. This is Jessica.” She turned to me. “Jessica, this is Taeyeon and Tiffany.” She said, pointing towards the older girls. “And these little rascals are Yoona and Seohyun.” She concluded.

I bowed lightly. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“She stinks Unnie!” Yoona commented and my eye twitched with irritation at her blunt nature.

“Now, now, that’s not how you treat guests… Sooyoung doesn’t bring her friends over often, so let’s be respectful.” Tiffany scolded the small girl as she simply shrugged.

“So how long have you known each other?” Taeyeon asked curiously.

I looked to Sooyoung who was just as baffled. “Uh… we actually just met recently.” She concluded.

“Ah…” Taeyeon nodded and continued eating.

I mentally thanked her for not mentioning the details. There was a brief silence before Seohyun spoke up.

“What do you do for a living Jessica-shi?”

Everyone looked at me curiously, even Sooyoung turned to me.

I was completely taken back by her mature attitude. “I…uh…” I didn’t really want to mention that I lived off my parents will nor did I really want to make a bad impression either. “I’m a student at West Seoul University…” I half-lied. I was a student, but I dropped out after my parents passed away.

“Oh, what major?” Tiffany asked, clearly interested.

Sweat was forming and I had to think quickly. “Uh… business and accounting.” I have no idea where that came from, but it seemed to work as they all nodded their heads. I had a bad feeling that this would get me later, but I wasn’t worried about that now.

“Good for you, our Youngie wanted to enrol but…” they all went silent and glanced at each other.

“But…?” I urged them to continue.

“It’s too dangerous nowadays…” Sooyoung answered, looking at me. “For a vampire to go to school.” Her eyes showed a hint of sadness but she was smiling.

“She knows?” Taeyeon asked, a little surprised.

Sooyoung nodded and laughed awkwardly. “It’s kind of a long story…”

“Well that doesn’t matter…” Tiffany seemed abruptly cheerful. “What really matters is that you brought a friend home, and a cute one! Don’t you think honey?” she asked Taeyeon who looked up and nodded.

“But you’re cuter~” she cooed and Tiffany giggled, nuzzling thier noses together.

Sooyoung groaned. “Aish! Don’t do that when we have a guest… it’s embarrassing!”

“Awh, you’re just jealous.” She reached over and pinched Sooyoung’s cheek.

I was now completely thrown off by this whole scene. Were Tiffany and Taeyeon her parents? No, they were far too young, and definitely not vampires. I was curious to know what their relation was but I didn’t want to ask.

“Ah, whatever… shall I drive you home now?” she asked me and I nodded.

~~~~~

I was at the door and Sooyoung was already getting in the car. I turned around to Tiffany and Taeyeon who were seeing us out.

“It was nice meeting you, be sure to come by again!” Taeyeon smiled.

I bowed. “Thanks for breakfast and the hospitality… it was really unexpected…”

“Don’t worry about it. In fact, we’re glad. Sooyoung usually stays away from other people… it was beginning to worry us. Do us a favour and treat her well. She may seem all strong and mighty at times… but deep inside that hard shell, she’s just a big softy.” Tiffany winked at me.

I had no idea why they were telling me all this but I took there words and nodded in understanding.

“Okay, you better get going before Sooyoung starts getting impatient.” Taeyeon lightly nudged me.

Before I could leave, I heard another voice call me.

“Goodbye weird, stinky lady!” Yoona shouted. Her words piercing my back like a spear.

‘That brat…’

I cringed at her words and could only grit my teeth wave back.

I got into the car and put my seatbelt on, remembering our first encounter.

“So let’s stop by the club, Hyo and Nicole should still be there.” Sooyoung started up the car and we zoomed off down the street.

~~~~

[General POV]

Sooyoung pulled up to the front of the club and parked the car. Without a word, the two got out and entered the building.

“Sooyoung-ah! About time you got here… I was about to… oh, hello.” Hyoyeon greeted them.

“Hi, I don’t believe we’ve officially met… I’m Nicole’s cousin, Jessica.” She greeted and Hyoyeon looked a little confused.

“It’s nice to finally meet you, but what are you doing with—oh wait a minute!” Hyoyeon clicked her fingers together. “You were the girl that Sooyoung was carrying on her back last night right?”

“C-Carrying on her back?” Jessica blushed at the thought of Sooyoung having to lug her all the way to her car and her house.

Sooyoung scratched her head, wishing Hyoyeon didn’t bring that up.

“Yeah… I knew you seemed a little familiar… anyways; Nicole is just cleaning up the bar… I’ll go grab your jacket.” Hyoyeon lead them to the bar and ran off to get the jacket.

“Jessica~!!” Nicole cheered and ran over to her cousin, giving her a big hug.

“Nicole! You abandoned me last night…” Jessica frowned.

Nicole laughed awkwardly. “I’m sorry Jess… I didn’t mean to… it was just so busy last night. I saw you run out last night… what happened?” she asked worriedly.

“Uh…” Jessica didn’t really want to mention the whole vampire incident. “Just needed some air…”

Nicole didn’t really seem convinced, but before she could question further, Hyoyeon returned with Jessica’s jacket and handed it to her.

“I believe this is yours…” she smiled and Jessica thanked her, relieved that her belongings were still there.

“Can I get you guys something to drink?” Nicole asked and Sooyoung shook her head.

“Just a water for me please.” Jessica asked, taking a seat at the table.

“Sure thing.” Nicole giggled and gave her a glass of water.

Before Jessica could take a sip, Sooyoung swiftly grabbed the glass and inspected it.

“Okay, you’re good.” She approved and gave it back.

They all gave her a weird look.

“You don’t want to know.” Sooyoung shook her head at the memory.

“So you’re Sooyoung then? It’s quite a coincidence to see you two together.” Nicole commented, sitting next to Hyoyeon.

“Yeah, Hyoyeon has only told me good things about you Nicole. I’m glad to see you so happy together.” Sooyoung smiled warmly at them.

Jessica looked at Sooyoung curiously, as she was eyeing the couple in front of her.

‘Was she envious?’ Jessica thought.

“Of course… Hyoyeonie has changed my life in so many ways, vampire or not.” She leaned her head on the other girl’s shoulder.

Hyoyeon pet Nicole’s head. “I can say the same.”

“So when did you two get together?” she asked and the two sat up stiffly.

“It’s not like that!” they said in unison.

“Oh? Then what is it?” Nicole asked, with a slightly mocking tone.

“No really, we are just acquaintances…” Sooyoung explained in a calmer tone.

“I see… Sooyoung, do you mind helping me with something while we leave these two cousins to chat.” Hyoyeon asked, nudging her head to the back room.

Sooyoung knew what she was getting at. “Sure.”

~~~~~

They walked to the back room behind the bar and Hyoyeon shut the door behind them. 

“So what is it Hyo?” Sooyoung asked, leaning on the wall.

“That Jessica girl… surely you noticed that she’s… different.” Hyoyeon asked.

Sooyoung chuckled. “Of course I noticed… maybe that’s why I’m so drawn to her.”

Hyoyeon narrowed her eyes at her.

“Not in that way Hyo…” Sooyoung assured her. 

“Well good, because I’m going to ask you a favour. Keep a close eye on her. I have a bad feeling since last night.”

Sooyoung twisted her brows. “What do you mean?”

Hyoyeon bit her lip, not sure if she should tell Sooyoung.

“What is it Hyo?” Sooyoung asked now more serious.

Hyoyeon sighed dejectedly. “I saw that woman…Yuri last night.”

Sooyoung’s eyes widened. “What? Where?!”

“She was on the balcony. She was watching you and Jessica leave. I recognized her and went to go see, but she disappeared.”

Sooyoung leaned on the wall and rested her head back. “She really doesn’t know when to quit huh?”

Hyoyeon tilted her head. “You mean, you met her recently?”

Sooyoung hit her head. She hadn’t told Hyoyeon about the incidents. “I guess you can say that. She’s really been pestering me nowadays.”

“Sooyoung, I think you should take Jessica home she—“

“AH!!!” a high pitched scream came from outside the room.

The two vampires immediately ran out.

“WHAT’S WRONG?!” Sooyoung yelled.

Nicole and Jessica were standing on the table and holding each other.

“M-mouse!” they shrieked.

The vampires nearly fainted due to the sudden panic.

“They are really related huh?” Hyoyeon asked and Sooyoung nodded, still catching her breath.

“Pabos! We thought something happened to you!” Hyoyeon knocked their heads with her fist.

 “Ouch! What are you talking about? Of course nothing happened… that mouse just came out of nowhere!” Nicole pouted.

Hyoyeon laughed and hugged her. “I’m just worried about you is all.”

“Jessica, I should get you home… you said you’re sister is waiting?” Sooyoung asked and Jessica hit her head, suddenly remembering.

“That’s right!” she turned to Nicole. “It was nice seeing you again… we should meet up sometime.”  Jessica hugged her cousin once again before leaving the club with Sooyoung.

As they got into the car, Sooyoung had a worried look on her face and tapped the steering wheel. “Is something wrong?” she asked.

Sooyoung shook her head and smiled. “Not at all… let’s go.”

She started the car and drove off towards Jessica house, unknown to the fact that she was being followed.

[Yuri’s POV]

I watched as the two got into her car and drove off.

I smiled deviously. “This may prove to be more interesting than I thought…” 


Sorry this chapter is kinda lame... my brain decided to lose all function after school finished lol 

I got a quick question: 

For this fic, what do you want to see more of? Action? Suspense? Romance? Taeny? Kryber? _____?  A mixture of everything? lol 

Feedback/suggestions are appreciated! 

See you soon! 

~Rainey 

On a totally unrelated note... 

KRYBER!!! 

hamnocchio:  Someone tell me what’s going on because I’m totally shocked  Someone save me…

OMG *spazzes* lol