Chapter 12 - Know Thy Enemy

Fate Brought Me You

Hey guys! I'm back! Sorry for the long wait! I'm so into the Vampire Diaries right now, anyone else watch it?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lay on my bed after an exhausting day at school. Kris had dragged me to the basketball court after my classes, claiming that they had a game today and as his girlfriend, I was obligated to cheer for him. I absolutely abhorred sitting under the blazing sun and cursed the team for not holding the game indoors. Weren't all official basketball games played indoors?

Of course, I had ranted my displeasure to Kris but he had only smiled and planted a kiss on my forehead.

With my boyfriend gone, I looked around only to see how utterly unprepared I was. Girls in short skirts were holding up signs with the names of their favourite basketball players (I noticed that Kris' name appeared VERY frequently). They even had elaborate cheers formed. Well, someone wouldn't miss my cheering. Turning my attention to the basketball team, I snorted. A team full of vampires. They wouldn't need any cheering to win. I bet they just wanted the attention.

I contemplated leaving for the library but a girl bumped into me - intentionally. "Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't see you there." The had the nerve to say. She saw me come with Kris, in fact, she had been outright starring as he had pecked me on the forehead. 

"Well then maybe you should open those tiny slits you call eyes." I snarled. I had no patience for people like her.

She seemed quite shocked at my snarky comment but then picked up the pom-poms beside her and sneered. "Are you here to cheer for the team? Your hands are a bit empty aren't they? I bet you didn't know there was a game today. So much for being Kris' girlfriend." She spat out the last one. 

Oh I was soooo mad. Who was she to tell me what I should do or not? She was just jealous that Kris had no interest in her.

I noticed that people had started to look in our direction. Well I would show her to keep her y comments to herself. I marched over to where Kris and the boys were discussing tactics. Kris had his back to me but Chanyeol saw me and gestured for Kris to turn around.

Kris turned, a bit surprised to see me, "Katrina, you're supposed to watch on the bleachers not here." I

ignored his comment and pulled him down for a kiss. He looked very shocked when I pulled away. "Good luck. You'll win right?" The boys whistled and I tried not to blush. Kris smirked and leaned in for another kiss. "Now I will." 

The referee blew the whistle, signalling the boys to get onto the court. I blew Kris a kiss before walking over to the bleacher. The girl with the pom-poms looked appalled. I smirked at her and walked over to the shade.

I laughed at the memory of the girl's face and rolled onto my stomach to pick up my phone. I wanted to call Kris but some unknown number was calling. 

I picked it up hesistantly, "Hello?"

"Hello Katrina. How are you?" I deep voice spoke from the other side.

"U-uncle Cain?" I stuttered. Uncle Cain wasn't really my uncle but I've been calling him that since forever. He was a family friend, one of the few to know our secret. I had always been intimidated by the strong aura he radiated. 

"Hello love. It's been a while hasn't it? Annabelle here tells me you've gone to college." That was weird. Aunt Annabelle really detested Uncle Cain. Why would they be together?

"Um. Yes I have." I replied warily.

"Well I'm sure it's lovely there. But I'm afraid you'll have to come home." Now that was even weirder. Who was he to tell me what to do?

"And why would that be?" I huffed.

"Because, love, Annabelle" there was a muffled cry, "is" and then some cracking sound, "dead."

The line dropped dead and I screamed.