The Devil's Words.

Robot Malfunction

Third Person’s POV

“EVERYONE PUT YOUR HANDS UP, AND GET YOUR DRINKS UP!” Chansung and Taecyeon were wildly jumping around the living room, causing havoc and objects to bounce around with their careless singing and movement. “PUT YOUR HANDS UP!” Chansung jumped on top of Wooyoung who was silently reading a book. “C’MON HYUNG, SING!”

Wooyoung rolled his eyes but the optimistic vibe coming from Chansung made him feel the fun, “Put your hands up.” “AND GET YOUR DRINKS UP!” Jay yelled, exiting the kitchen and holding onto snacks. “Yo man, who wrote that? So damn catchy.” He sat down next to Wooyoung and fed him strawberry pocky.

“I did.” Junsu cockily said, coming down the stairs with Junho in tow. Jay praised him some more, “I thought you were a fashion freak, seems like you’re a musical genius as well.” Taking Jay’s only bag of chips, Junsu sat down on the single seated chair. “Geez Jay, thanks.”

 Taecyeon was still jumping around, rapping the lyrics. Snatching a pocky that was about to enter Jay’s mouth he ran upstairs to bother Nichkhun. Junho moved out of his way and started singing along with Chansung.

“Remind me to tell Eunmi not to put sugar on his French toast in the morning anymore.” Jay stared at the hyper maknae, Wooyoung chuckled and threw a cushion at Chansung. But it accidently hit Junho who was in the way, “WOOYOUNG!!” Pouting, Junho threw the cushion back.

But being the only one out of 2pm to have poor aiming skills, Junho planted the cushion at Jay instead; making food rain down on him from the impact. “JUNHOOOOOO!!!!”

“Uh-Oh. DON’T KILL ME… JAY!!!!!”

-

Eunmi’s POV

Hearing a scream from downstairs, I ventured out of my room. I already had a massive headache; the amount of noise the guys were making only added more to my dizziness.

There was no work today or for the rest of the week, Mrs. Yang had to close down the shop because there was construction going on and it was happening right in front of the cafe. No one could past through the doors with the sidewalk uneven and refurnishing.

Since Amy and Henry were busy with their university stuff and I had no friends, I was confined in my room. Forced to think about Woohyun and Sungyeol, curse my mind. They were the ones giving me a headache, Woohyun and his stupid kiss and Sungyeol and his… I don’t know what but his stupid self for popping into my head.

Another addition to my infinite problems in my life.

As soon as I opened my door and stepped out, I walked into Taecyeon. “Oh my god, what are you, a metal brick?!” I groaned, rubbing my nose that hit his chest. “Just a good-looking guy with mighty abs.” He grinned at me, ruffling my hair.

I swatted his hand away, “What do you want.” He responded by pulling me to Nichkhun’s room. Pushing me inside, I spotted Nichkhun sleeping peacefully on his stomach. “Wake him up for me.” Taecyeon whispered.

“Why can’t you do it yourself?” I spoke in a normal tone; Taecyeon shushed me and covered my mouth. “SHH. NOT TOO LOUD! Nichkhun’s a monster when he’s woken up in the morning!” I removed his hand, “Why do I have to do it then?” I said again, not whispering. “SHHHHHH! Because in this house, he wouldn’t hurt you!”

Looking at his pleading eyes, I knew he wouldn’t stop bugging me unless I agreed. “Fine.” Going over to the sleeping form, I flicked Nichkhun’s forehead. “Wake up.” I dully said, while Taecyeon was watching from the corner.

Furrowing his eyebrows, Nichkhun angrily opened his eyes. “Who the f-“ Once he saw it was me, his words stop exiting from his mouth. “Eunmi? What are you doing here?” I pointed behind me. Seeing Taecyeon, who was sheepishly looking away and rubbing his neck, he said “I wanted you to play with me.”

“Child.” I mutter, walking out and going down the stairs, leaving Taecyeon alone with monster Nichkhun. “You got Eunmi to do the dirty work?” I could hear Nichkhun say. “Why are you walking closer to me…?!” Taecyeon yelped. “BUT I JUST WANTED SOMEONE TO PLAY WITH.”

First thing I see when I come upon the living room is Jay on top of Junho. Not a pretty sight might I add. The slight hesitation from seeing me gave Junho the advantage of pushing Jay off and running to my side. “EUNMI, HELP ME!” He hid behind me while Jay got up on his feet.

“Don’t be a coward. Come fight me like a man!” Junho stepped to the left, but Jay mimed him and mirrored his move. This went on for quite a while until Jay gently pushed me to the side and ran after Junho who raced up the stairs.

“Eunmi out of her hibernating? What a rare sight.” Junsu narrated my every move, pretending I was an exquisite animal out for a drink at a pond; I took a cushion and threw it at him. Laughing, Junsu went back to his iPad, checking out the latest fashion icons.

Wooyoung was still reading his book, idly tossing pocky at Chansung who was chanting, “HANDS UP!” I stood over Wooyoung’s shoulder, catching a glimpse of the book’s cover he was flipping through. He was a bookworm like me, despite our appearance.

Twilight. I almost laughed out loud. “It ain’t bad,” Wooyoung murmured, not taking his eyes off the page. He shoved a pocky in my face, “Eat.” I took it and started nibbling on the cookie stick goodness. Going into the kitchen, I decided to make some tea. My head was lying down on the island counter.

“What’s wrong Eunmi?” I jumped on my seat. Sungjong was innocently munching on a cookie, watching my every move. “Goddamnit Sungjong.” I was trying to restart my heart, “What are you doing here?” How did I not notice him?!

He fished out another cookie from the Chansung’s cookie jar, “Hyung and I were visiting.” The boiling pot started whistling that it was ready. I took the handle and started pouring the water into a cup with the tea bag in it. “Do you want a cup?” I turned around. Sungjong shook his head and puckered up his face. “Tea makes me gag.”

I put back the pot. Drinking the soothing warmth, my mind went back to Sungjong’s words before the interruption. “Wait. Hyung?” Sungjong nodded, “Yeah, Woohyun hyung and I.” I choked on the tea. Sungjong got up and patted my back, “Are you okay?!” I nodded, wiping my mouth with my arm.

“Where is he?” I nonchalantly asked, Sungjong thought nothing of my question and replied with, “Sleeping in Nichkhun’s room.” But I didn’t see him there… oh no. “How long were you guys here?” Eating another cookie, Sungjong raised 2 fingers, “2 hours. Woohyun wanted to suddenly drop by and I tagged along so here we are. Do you know you’re like a bear? I was waiting for you to come out of your room!”

Pouting, he scarf down another cookie. Amusedly, I wondered how many more until the jar was empty. Grabbing another cup, I poured milk into it this time. I gave it to the cookie monster, “You always need milk with chocolate.”

Smiling gratefully, Sungjong took the glass. Just then, a shriek was heard. Chansung was gaping at his empty cookie jar. “YOU DID NOT JUST EAT ALL MY COOKIES.” Sungjong downed the milk, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I left the kitchen and the two maknae to squabble, and went upstairs; ready to face one of my problems.

-

It was no surprise seeing Woohyun in my room. What was surprising was that he was lying on my bed reading my diary. My eyes went wide; I rushed and grabbed it out of his hands. “Never go through my stuff.”

The venom in my tone was dead serious.

Breathing in deeply and closing my eyes, I tried to control my anger. “What do you want Woohyun.” I gritted through my teeth, not happy to see him. “You been avoiding me.” He started, trying to be careful with his words. One wrong move and he thought I was going to explode.

I sipped some tea, hoping it would make me calm a bit. It helped. Kind of. “We don’t cross paths.” I placed the diary back inside my drawer. I looked at him, “Why.” Taken aback, he sat up. “Why what?” I walked to him, until our faces were only inches apart, “Why did you kiss me.”

Woohyun jerked back, his face beet red. “Oh that…” Sheepishly laughing, he continued, “I was caught up in the moment?” “Bull.” I sat down on my chair, resting my head down on my desk. Now that Woohyun was here in front of me and inside my head, the headache kept pounding and pounding until my brain was reduced into mush.

“You don’t have feelings me, because we barely know each other. You did that for a reason, for your own benefit.” Woohyun stayed silent as I went on. “Surely you didn’t do it because of pity. You’re not the type to do something foolish as that without thought,” I turned to face him. “So what’s your motive?”

“I like you.”

I rubbed my temples, “No Woohyun. You don’t.” “I do.” “You don’t even know me. How can you say you like me all of a sudden?” He went over to where I was, “Are you okay?” I glared at him, “Changing the subject won’t do. But no, I have a massive headache thanks to you.”

Woohyun smiled a bit, “You were thinking about me?” “Thinking about how I should torture you? Then yes. I was.”

-

Woohyun’s POV

“Thinking about how I should torture you? Then yes. I was.” I flinched, okay that hurt a bit. Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry Eunmi. I’m really sorry.” When she didn’t respond, I rambled on. “I really do like you. That’s why I did it… when I found out about your condition,” the words were hard to get out, “I freaked. I didn’t know what was happening. I was in shock.”

Lies.

All throughout my head, that one word ran through my mind.

Lies.

My voice went hoarse. “I like you so much.”

Lies.

Eunmi’s head rose from the desk, I looked at her. She looked back, “You’re lying.” How did she know? “I’m not.” My fingers were fidgeting by my side. She stood up and went right to me. I stiffen at the distance between us. “You are.”

I backed away, tripping on my own feet and landed on her bed. “Damnit Eunmi, stop doing that!”

The next thing she did was way unexpected.

She got on top of me. I yelped, “What are you doing?!”

Eunmi then proceeded to aim her face downwards towards mine. “I’m wrong. I like you too.” Her breathe tickled my face. One more movement and our lips would have touched. What the hell was she doing?! My head was dizzy from the closeness and her confession but I still managed to sprout out words.

“That must be a really big headache if it got you doing things like this.” I tried joking around, lifting the atmosphere. It didn’t work, Sunggyu was right. I always will be the silent type like Myungsoo and Sungyeol. 

The thought of him got my blood boiling.

I was just like Sungyeol yet she doesn’t like me at all. Exactly the same as him yet it’s not enough, why was I no good for her?

-

Eunmi’s POV

Something was wrong. Woohyun was tense underneath me.

I got up, getting off of him. He laid an arm over his eyes and quietly murmured to himself. “What’s wrong with me?” Not knowing the rhetorical question wasn’t for me, I answered him. “You’re a delusional brat that’s trying to use me.”

Woohyun stared at me, wanting me to explain.

“If you ‘like’ me as you supposedly say you do, you would have taken this chance and tried to woo me. Yet you didn’t. You spent all your time trying to convince me, that you liked me. Yet when the chance presented itself to you, you didn’t want to accept it.”

Woohyun was flabbergasted while I tiredly yawned. Lately, I have been feeling sleepier than usual. “If you don’t have anything else to say, get out. I’m tired.” It was only 5:00pm. He wordlessly left my room without a goodbye. I knew it. I could always tell whenever someone’s lying.

Closing the door, I laid down on my bed. My nose crinkled up as my face hit my pillow. It smelt like Woohyun. “You got to be kidding me.” I tossed my pillow on the floor, mentally noting to change my pillow sheets, and closed my eyes.

I was not going to think about him anymore.

I thought the Woohyun problem was done; it only just begun.

-

Woohyun’s POV

Woohyun you idiot.

Banging my head against my headboard, I tried knocking some sense into me. Just what am I doing? ‘I like you,’ the biggest lie of my life. Saying those words to the wrong person and still getting rejected doesn’t hurt as much as not saying it to the right person who doesn’t even know my feelings.

“Goddamnit Woohyun.” Closing my eyes, my mind visualized her.

The thought of her nice smelling hair, sweet smile and laugh, and mesmerizing eyes; I’m not supposed to be thinking like this. Not for her. Not for someone whom one of my best friend loves.

Minhee, you don’t even know how much I love you.

You don’t even know that the moment I first laid eyes on you, cliché as this may be but, I fell for you.

“Woohyun, get your downstairs. Minhee made dinner. “ Sunggyu poked his head in, giving me a questioning raise of an eyebrow. “And was it just me or were you banging your head like a moron a little while ago?” “Leave me here to rot and die.” I groaned into my pillow, covering my shameful face.

“No can do, Myungsoo wants all of us to be there.” I felt him pat my back, “Don’t worry. Minhee’s food is always safe to eat if not yummy.” Sighing, I got out of bed. “By the way, have you seen Sungjong? That rascal was supposed to help me with something.”

Oh . The moment Eunmi told me to leave her room I dashed out of her house and ended up here sulking and re-thinking my aim. Not realizing I left the little maknae. The look on my face said all there was needed to be said. Sunggyu laughed, “You forgot about him? Oh man, he’s never going to let it go.”

“They’ll take care of him, 2pm likes him the best out of all of us.” I covered up my mistake.

As soon as we got to the kitchen, I saw the love birds. I ignored their presence and sat down next to Myungsoo. “Where’s Dongwoo and Hoya?” I asked, not seeing them at the table. “I’ll tell you where they’re going to be when I get my hands on them; in the toilet.” I chuckled at his threat.

“They ditched once they heard Minhee was cooking.” Sunggyu whispered into my ear, pulling a seat next to me.

“Alright oppas! I made kimchi soup for dinner!” Minhee exclaimed, bringing over a pot of boiling… substances. I felt Sunggyu shiver next to me. Sungyeol sat next to Myungsoo and helped give around bowls of rice.

“Too bad Dongwoo oppa, Hoya oppa, and Sungjong oppa isn’t here.” Minhee frowned, wondering where they could have gone. “Yeah too bad.” Sunggyu muttered to himself. Even though Infinite loved Minhee, they didn’t go crazy over her cooking.

“This looks great.” Myungsoo smiled at his sister, Minhee beamed at his words. Sunggyu tentatively took a spoonful of the soup into his mouth, he ended up choking. “Omo! Sunggyu oppa are you okay?!” Minhee ran over to pat his back, handing over a glass of water.”

“N-ne. I just ate too fast. It’s so good.” Sunggyu stuttered out, noticing Myungsoo’s and Sungyeol’s glare. What he wanted to say was ‘I’m so sorry Minhee but is this even edible?!’ “Aigo, take your time oppa! There’s plenty more where that came from.”

I glanced from the corner of my eyes and took in Minhee’s profile. How I wanted her to be mine. She got me staring and gave me a breathtaking smile, “Good Woohyun oppa?”I quickly removed my eyes from her, not answering but replied by eating up my portion.

Minhee, gleeful that Woohyun was eating a second helping, sat herself down beside Sungyeol. She then proceeded to feed him. As always, I ignored them and focused on something else.

My heart was hurting. Aching. I had to find a way to get over her, to find someone new. All these negative thoughts caused the devil inside of me to spitefully come out.

Find someone new like Eunmi huh?’ it said. I was annoyed at its taunting tone. ‘You’re such a liar Woohyun. You’re thinking about Minhee while hours ago you said to Eunmi, I like you.’ I felt my hands clenching. 

Can’t handle the truth? Eunmi was right. You only said that because you want to use her.

My abrupt standing up; caused eyes to be on me. I wordlessly went upstairs to my room, not paying attention to Sunggyu’s call. Locking my door, I planted my face down onto my pillow.

What’s wrong Woohyun? No more ideas?’

My hands balled up into fists.

I know! Since Eunmi is dying, you think she won’t mind pretending to be your fake girlfriend because she won’t be here in a few months. Making Minhee jealous instead of getting over her, naughty Woohyun.

“SHUT UP,” I roared. My words muffled so the others couldn’t hear me screaming.

But you know Eunmi wouldn’t agree. But wait, there’s a solution to your problems.’ I was inhaling and exhaling raggedly. ‘Blackmail her. Clearly no one knows about her condition, her being all secretive. Say you’ll tell everyone unless she complies with your offer.’

“SHUT UP!” I curled up into a fetal position. “Just shut up.” I whispered.

Minhee and Sungyeol will always be together. Face the facts, there’s no room for you.’ It paused for a second, ‘You know what to do if you want Minhee to notice you. There’s no way you can forget about her. The only option is…

I quietly whimpered, the banging outside my door was fading away as my mind overtook my senses.

Steal her away from Sungyeol by using Eunmi.’