Sorta, Maybe, Friends.

Robot Malfunction

Eunmi's POV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNuKY12raSc  // Imagine it's a girl. 

Here we go, come with me

There's a world out there that we should see

Take my hand, close your eyes

With you right here, I'm a rocketeer

I was in deep focused mode.

Let's fly. 

Up, up here we go

My body was popping and locking into hip-hop choregraphy.

Where we go we don't need roads [roads],
Where we stop nobody knows [knows],
To the stars if you really want it,
Got, got a jetpack with your name on it,

Dancing was natural to me. I self-taught myself when I was little. If I could, I want to become a professional choregrapher. The moment I realized I wanted to dance was when Jay was in this 'bboy' phase and dragged my 8 year old self to a showcase. So many talented artists, something inside of me burned with jealousy.

To put it simply, I was awed.

Right then and there, I knew it was something I wanted to do in the future upcoming years of my life. 9 years later, here I am. Still self-teaching and dancing just for the hell of it. It was my getaway drug. 

Ending the song with a chest pop, flailing controlled arm movements, and lowering my head.

Before the next song could come up, I pressed the pause button on the boombox then sat down on the floor, my back to the door, and stuck two pills in my mouth. I wiped the light sweat on my forehead with a gym towel that was around my neck and pushed up my slipping glasses. Just as I'm about to take a gulp of water-

CRASH !

"Ouch. Pabo door couldn't keep my weight." Someone muttered cutely. 

I looked back and there she was. The new student, here. In my territory. My secret hiding place. 

Why. How

She took notice of me staring at her with my usual blank face and striaghten up. She fidgited nervously and looked down as I continued looking at her. 

"Uhm, I-I-I didn't have a-anywhere to sit at lunch and I saw you walking a-away so I followed you..." She turned her head upwards at me,  I-I wondered if you didn't m-mind me eatting l-lunch with you." 

Expressionless, I just took a drink.

Seeing my lack of reaction she looked back down and nervously wrung her hands. 

"You're very good at dancing," she said quietly without stuttering. 

No one has told me that before, well because I kept my dancing a secret. Just like this place. Until now. Seeing her squirm uncomfortably though made me feel something. Her being pretty was going to be a problem and incentive. She was going to be popular but have to face Fei, and the other 3 dumbos because they get intimidated when somebody prettier shows up and steals their spot as Queenkas. 

Without noticing it, words slipped out of my mouth, " Lunch's almost over." Turning away from the girl I hid my slighty, embarassed face. Lunch started 10 mintues ago. 

Surprised, Minhee looked up. She couldn't believe I let her sit here and eat lunch with me. Beaming with glee inside, she closed the door behind her then walked to where I was and sat a few steps away from me. 

It was quiet as she began taking out her lunch from her lunchbag and I was putting my dance stuff inside my backpack. Once done, I laid down on the floor and listened to my ipod. Minhee thought. My ipod was off, I just stuck the earphones on making her think I was busy and didn't want to be interrupted. 

She was on my right so I could glance at her easily from my right eye. Doing so, I could see she had a bento filled with cute food. What was this, Japen? After a second I turned my gaze on the ceiling up above me. 

The atmosphere was quiet but not awkwardly quiet. 

Glancing back in her direction, it seemed I startled her because she jumped a little. She had looked at my direction the same time I decided to. 

Regaining her composure, she spoke trying to cover up. "U-Uh I'm Kim M-Minhee." I just looked back at the ceiling. She realized I had my earphones on and concluded that she made a fool of herself seeing as I did not hear her. Flustered, she quietly nibbled on her rice trying to forget the embarassing incident.

"Lee Eunmi."

Lifting her head to look at me with wide eyes, a smile slowly crept up her face. "Nice to meet you Eunmi-ah." 

With that, everything was peaceful again. 

Minhee thinking, 'Omo, I think I made my first friend here!'

Me thinking, 'Great. Just great.' 

-

Every lunch, she was there. Watching me dance and eatting quietly to herself. The second time she came back, I was surprised. Why did she want to eat lunch with me? Didn't she find other people to eat with? The fifth time, I was not startled by her presence anymore. Soon, it was unknowningly official that she was going to keep coming back here day after day after day. 

Not that I complained. She kept the music room a secret from others. 

I ignored her everytime she turns my way. Giving her blank stares and unanswered questions. 

Didn't she make new friends already? I seen the way boys looked at and greeted her, and how the other girls admired her nice personality. She had a bunch of people to talk to in class, why didn't she go to them at lunch.

This had me thinking. Did she feel pity for me for always being alone? I'm sure she heard rumors about me. That's it, she was feeling pity. With her nice personality, she was feeling bad someone like me has to be all alone. 

I liked it that way, why does she not see it?

So everyday she came and everyday I wondered if she wasn't going to come. 

-

It was a Friday, I was doing my usual stretching and Minhee was quietly working on her art. I learned she was taking as many art courses she could do to try to get into S.A.U, Seoul Art University.

Her dream was to become famous for her paintings and drawings. I found this dream utterly unreal because anybody could draw and get famous, yet as she showed me her book of sketches, I was amazed. This girl got talent, her drawings were realistic and had her own flaire to it that made it both original and unique. 

While taking a drink out of my water bottle, she suddenly stopped shading her lanscape of trees and asked a question. "Eunmi-ah, why are you always alone?" I closed the cap back onto the bottle and began to clean up.

Not hurt by my silence she continued on, "Don't you feel lonesome?" I was sorting out my backpack." When I was little, there was this person that was always alone and didn't have any friends. He said having friends was useless and bothersome."

She was speaking quietly now. "The moment I met him, I just knew he was lonely. No matter how much he said he prefered being alone, I knew he wanted a real friend. So my brother and I decided to be his friends." I stopped what I was doing. "It was hard getting through to him, but after some time spent with my brother and I, he loosen up. His cold features slowly soften."

I looked up at Minhee whose lips were curving into a smile while remembering the memory. "He changed and overtime, became my bestest and closest friend. He was my first love." Her smile reminded me of umma's smile at appa. "I believe you're lonely as well." 

I stared at her. 

"You don't know anything about me." My voice sounded empty. 

"I want to know more about you then," She replied.

"No." I went back to my bag. 

"C'mon, in order to become better friends, we got to talk!  Weren't you listening to that story about that friend of mines I was telling minutes ago?"

"Friends means nothing to me." This conversation was irritating me. I snatched up my bag onto my right shoulder and headed to the door that marked my escape from her. 

"A-aren't I your friend?" She asked confusely.

"We were never friends. I don't like you. It was a mistake letting you sit here that first day, I should have gave you to Fei and them. It's better being alone than being with you." 

I walked away but not before I saw a glimpse of hurt on her face. If she had not said anything and kept it quiet as usual, this would not have happen. What I said to her was mean but it was the only way to make her stop blabbering on about friendship and blahblah, stuff I did not care about. 

Tucking the guilt to a far corner of my heart, I went to third period.

As usual, Fei and her followers started throwing pieces of paper at me the moment I walked in. It was english class and yet again, the teacher, Mr. Thompson was late. Not acknowleding Fei at all, I walked pass her front row to the back. Then the entire class errupted into laughter. It seems I had 'tripped' and fell on my face. Fei was smirking in my direction, "Watch where you're going freak." Ignoring the howls, I got back up like nothing had happened and sat down in my chair. 

A few minutes later, the door opened. Everybody scrambled to their correct seats and waited for Mr. Thompson to being the lesson. He was a strict teacher. It was not him at the door though, instead Minhee came bursting into the classroom. "Opps! Sorry I'm late!" She spoke in english.

The others just laughed at her cuteness, "Yah he's not here yet." Someone replied. Minhee, who was sighing with relief, sat down in her seat in the second row. Fei scowled at how everyone was talking about how cute Minhee was. 

Looking at her, she was laughing and telling jokes with the people around her. Even though she wore a happy expression, I noticed her eyes were slighty red and puffy. Averting my eyes, my head landed on top of the desk. 

Why. Do. I. Still. Feel. Guilty.

Head down, I heard the faint sound of someone trying not to snicker. Thinking it was some idiot, I assumed it did not have anything to do with me. 

I was wrong. As always.

Head shot straight up, I was drenched in water. "Wake up, class is meant for learning." Fei told me innocently. Innocent my , she was holding a pail. 

At that moment, Mr. Thompson finally decided to show up. "Ahh, class sorry for being late. I was- What is this? Mrs.Lee, why are you soaking wet?" he asked me. 

Did he not see Fei holding the pail?

"It was hot." I replied. Fei, snickering loudly now, went back to her seat and quickly hid the evidence that it was her doing. I could see from the corner of my eye that Minhee was staring at me. 

"Well, go and get clean up then " He said unsurely but approved of the lame excuse. 

After trying to dry my clothes I went back to class. Time went by real fast and before I knew it, the bell rang signaling end of school. Grabbing my stuff I headed out the door before the other students could get up. 

Not before I yet again 'tripped'. 

"Mrs. Lee, are you okay?" Brushing off his hand I replied with a quick fine before I disappeared into the crowded hallway.

"Don't mind her Mr. Thompson, she's a little different." Fei's laugh faded behind me. 

Another day wasted here at school with these idiots I thought.

Before I could reach the handle of the front entrance door, Min and Suzy blocked me. 

"Yah robot, waasup!" Suzy asked me while smiling evily.

I wonder what they got in store for me today. 

Turning to the right of her, I tried getting past them. Suzy step-sided me.

"Nu-uh, why so mean? I'm just asking a question." Her sweet voice was making me gag. 

Turning to the left of her, I tried again getting past them. Min step-sided me.

"C'mon, we're just asking." 

I positioned myself stepping to the left, which made them think I was going that way, but actually I stepped to the right and tricked them. Earning me freedom from their presence. I opened the door-

SPLASH !

The water made my clothes cling onto me. It was cold outside. My clothes started to freeze instantly. 

Ahh, this was why they started a conversation, to stall me.

Jia's crazy laughter exploded, along with Min, Suzy, Fei, and people around us. 

"Can't get enough eh?" Fei asked.

"Doesn't water malfunction robots? Start breaking into pieces and exploding." Min leered.

I wondered how she got passed freshmen and sophomore year. 

"STOP IT!" A voice yelled out. We all turned in the direction it was heard at and in came running Minhee. "Stop doing these things to Eunmi-ah! "

What the hell is she doing. 

"Who do you think you're talking to?" Fei's laughter died down into a surprised, annoyed face. "A bunch of stupid girls that thinks they're better than everybody else." Minhee bravely replied. "Do you know who you're messing with?" Suzy shouted out. "I said, a bunch of stupid girls." Minhee repeated while emphasizing the word stupid. "What'd you call us?" Jia angrily asked.

Trembling, Minhee held her ground. "PABO" She shouted back. 

This stupid girl.

Fei stood in front of her and fiercely hissed, "You better watch your mouth-"  "HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING HERE?!" A teacher was walking towards us. "If you know what's good for you, you don't want to mess with us." Fei continued then left with the others.

The teacher, noticing the crowd dispersing changed his mind and left us alone. 

"You have to get out of those wet clothing otherwise you'll get sick!" I looked at the still slightly, shaking girl. " Hurry! The cold weather will only make it worse. " 

Moving my body out of her reach, I started walking. 

"Hey!" she said trying to keep up with me, "Wait for me!" 

I suddenly stopped in my tracks causing her to stumble and almost hit me in the back. Turning around, I angrily said, "Stop. Just stop. Don't touch me, don't talk to me, don't defend me of all things. Just stop getting yourself involved with me. I don't need your pity and I certainly don't need your help. I can take care of myself." 

With that, I left her standing there and hurried to work. 

-

"Goodbye Mrs. Yang." 

Water was beginning to form on my face and dried clothes the moment I took a few steps outside. Why was it snowing now, stupid inaccurate weather man. At least it's light snow falling I sarcastically thought. Slinging my bag closer to my right shoulder, bracing the snow I trudged my way to the bus. 

It was a couple minutes of walking along the sidewalk with the bright lights overhead me that I saw someone in need of help. Still dressed in her knee length skirt and uniform, there was Minhee being surrounded by two drunk men who was hoping for a little late-night fun. One could tell from her shaking figure she was frighten to death. 

'What is she doing here?' I furrowed my brows. This was not the safest part of Seoul to be at late at night. Especially for a pretty girl like her. 

Supposedly, a girl who were once in a situation like Minhee would know better than to get herself involved and instead call for help. I did not buy a new cellphone yet, there was no time for help. Nobody was around. That's how sketchy West Seoul was.

Without a second thought of running away, I ran and charged at the guy who was holding Minhee's wrist. High-kicking him right in the face, spilling some blood in the process. The next instance, I had grabbed hold of the other remaining guy's arm and pulled it behind his back then kneed his legs which then caused him to hit the ground. Or more like, me smashing him onto the ground. 

They wanted fun, I showed them. It's just that, I did not play fairly. 

Terrified that someone knocked them down in 10 seconds flat, they ran away yelping with pain. 

"Crazy drunks." I muttered.

Dusting my hands I picked up my bag that I dropped while beating the drunk's up, and continued my way home. Not until a still shaking Minhee said, "K-kamsahamnida." Bowing 5 times. 

I looked at her. She really was scared, 'well no duh' I retorted back in my mind. I should know. Suddenly remembering the cold words I said to her a few hours ago made the guilt that was tucked away in my heart come back again. 

Aish. 

"Where do you live." I monotoniously asked or more like said. 

Surprised at my words, Minhee just stared at me. 

"Where do you live." I repeated with a little force this time.

"O-over there by that b-block, then w-walk 20 minutes," she replied without trying to stutter but failing. 

She lives around here. Here. West Seoul of all places. The place where I work. Mentally sighing I made a decision.

Turning my back on her I began to walk in the direction she pointed at. Hearing no footsteps behind me I said, "Hurry or do you want more drunks to come and take you away to be their toy." Snapping out of her muddled thoughts as to why I was walking the same way as her, she quickly followed after me afriad that my comment might happen in the next few seconds. 

It was a long 20 minutes. Long yet peaceful. That was the thing, whenever I was with Minhee, it's always quiet and nice. The snow was slightly falling harder down onto us. Great, my dried clothes were slowly getting wet again. I would not be surprised if I got a cold. 

Walking fast towards her house but slowing down when noticing Minhee could not keep up, I began to wonder just where have she been the past hour since school ended. If she had gone home straight after school, she wouldn't have had  to face pathetic erts at night. Knowing I could not ask her anything, I shook the curiosity out of my mind and concentrated on getting her home safe. 

"We're here." She spoke quietly stopping me in my tracks. 

Glacing up at a big mansion, I knew how she gotten into Seoul High without out-standing academic grades. She was a little slow-brained when it came to education. Guess she had her daddy to bribe his way in. 

Stepping back from the house, I waited for her to go inside. If I was going to bring her home safe, I see her all the way in. Realizing after a few seconds at my actions, she scurried to the front gates and locked in a code that made the giant, wrought-iron  barricades open. 

Seeing this I turned around and went away. Not before I said audibly but not loudly, "Mianhe." I fast walked out of there. Minhee, who jumped at the sudden voice, faced backwards and saw me walking away in the snow. "Mianhe?..." she thought confusedly. Replaying the events that happended the past few hours at school, she knew why. 

"Robots don't feel guilt." She spoke quietly to the open space that was once me. 

Taking one last look, she trudged her way up to the grande house.

-

It was 1:00pm when I got home. The light snowfall turned into a snowstorm caused traffic on the streets. My hoodie was soaking wet and the body parts that weren't covered from the icy precipitation were red and numb.

Huh, is this what it feels like to be in an anti-freezing chamber?

Inserting the key into the keyhole, I opened the door then quickly shut it before any of the snow could get inside. Sighing that I got away from the horrible weather. As I moved to take off my shoes and put them near the shoe rack, I stumbled upon somebody's pair of shoe. Make that pairs of shoes. Three pairs in fact.

'Who the..' I thought, Jay and them are never here whenever I get home, they usually come home at 4:00am.  

Neatly placing the shoes on the rack, I trudged my way upstairs. Being me, I had my gaze on the ground while walking up the stairs, shaking a little because of the cold I did not hear the booming footsteps walking downwards. 

BAM !

I bumped into something hard, the sudden collision caught me off guard so I fell back. Not before that person held my wrist and pulled me towards them. I instantly placed and gripped my unattended hand on their arm trying not to fall back. 

"Gwaenchana?" Asked a deep voice I quickly recognized.  

Looking up at Taec whose shirt was dripping wet because of the contact with my wet clothing, I noticed a cut near his eyebrows. 

"Gwaenchana?!" he worriedly asked again when I did not answer.

I was distracted by the position we were in. Him holding me against him. His brows creased with worry. 

"YAH YOU'RE FREEZING COLD!" He yelled while trying to wipe the snow-water off me. 

That made me snap out of my trance. 

"I'm fine." Knocking his hands aside and stepping away from him I raced up the stairs before he could say anything else and rounded the corner.

BAM !

"Mianhe!" Someone shouted, holding me upright. Junsu was inspecting me, "Your fingers are red!" He exclaimed trying to warm them up by placing his hands on top of mines and rubbing friction onto them. "Where have you been?!"

Pulling my hands back from his grip, I walked passed him and went striaght to my room. "I'm fine."

Opening the door I was met with a surprise. Someone was in my room. Going through my drawer. Where the container of pills were. Without thinking, I rushed towards the person before they could reach any further inside the drawer. Nichkhun was surprised at my actions. 

"What are you doing." I asked through gritted teeth. Nobody enters my room. Nobody.

"I was looking for pain killers, there wasn't any in the house. Your room was the last place to check for some. But I think I found it now." He replied cherrfully, like invading my space was not a big thing.

"Those aren't painkillers. I'll buy some tomorrow." 

Tilting his head, he asked amusedly, "Really? They look like pills. What are they then? I'm sure I can still use them." 

This guy irritated me. Months of living with him and I still can not get used to his damn personality. 

"Nothing important to you." I said, pushing him out the door and closing the drawer shut at the same time. 

"Aww, no fun. I just wanted to know miss grumpy pants." He pouted. 

I just slammed the door in his face. 

I need a lock.

Today's been tiring. It used up all my energy. Taking a quick shower and blow drying my hair, I rushed back into my room before any of the guys could see me. Next thing you know, I fell fast asleep the moment my head hit the pillow. Thank goodness it was Saturday tomorrow.