I Can't Hear You.

Robot Malfunction

Second Floor

                  |   >                | Taecyeon + Nickhun | | Bathroom | | Chansung + Junho |

                  |                     | Jay |                | Junsu + Wooyoung |              | Eunmi |

                  Stairs

                  |

                  |

First Floor                   Stairs

                                      V                                                      

| --------------------------- |                                                  | ------------------------------- |

|          Kitchen                                                                   Living Room        |                         

| --------------------------- |                                                  | ------------------------------- |                           

                                                      |       |

                                                  Front Door 

 

Eunmi's POV

Desert. In the middle of no where, sun blaring it's death rays onto me. No water. That's what it felt like when I came into focused of my surroundings. It took a while for my head to realize I woke up from sleep, getting up I rubbed my eye. I felt terrible. I did not like being sick. At all. Just then puslating flashes appeared in my head. Groaning, my hands instinctly went up to my eyes to get try to get rid of it. 

"Thank god it's Saturday." I muttered reaching inside the drawer beside my bed. 

Opening the container I got out two pills and popped them in my mouth. Same routine almost everyday. Looking in I saw I only had a few left til' I run out. Capping the cap back on I mentally noted down to go to the doctor soon. Grabbing the water bottle I chugged down the rest of the water and swallowed down the pills. 

It was 5:03pm, last I remembered it was 2:00pm. Just three hours of sleep? It felt like three whole days had past. Once I manage to get up, I made my bed and got out fresh new clothes. Thinking a cold shower will tone down the heat radiating off me.  A few steps and I felt something warm under my feet. It was a rag. I did not remember this here. Thinking nothing of it I picked it up and slipped out the door. I made my way to the bathroom. Only to find it occupied.

'Great.' I thought. 'When will he finish up.' As if he read my mind, I heard the squeak of the shower caps turning and shutting off the water. About a minute later the door opened.

Wooyoung came out in a grey shirt and jeans. Wiping his hair with a towel in one hand and the other casually by his side, before he could take a few steps he noticed me standing there rubbing my eye. I was trying to make the tiredness go away somehow again. 

He just looked at me with a bewildered expression. For the first time in a long while, I slightly pouted which caused his eyebrows to shoot up. "Eunmi...?" he trailed off when I asked him, "Make me chicken noodle soup please." In a timid voice. What the hell.  What was wrong with me. Normally I could control my actions before I did them, but now it just shows whenever I feel like it. Oh god, this fever has got. to. go. 

Wooyoung frozed up. This was the first time I showed something other than a blank face to him. And to ask him for a favor as well? This was not me. Not me at all goddamnit. This was Delusional Eunmi. I needed that shower to give me a wake up call. Now

Pushing him to the side so I can enter the bathroom, I quickly locked the door and leaned against the frame scolding myself. While on the other side of the closed door Wooyoung was battling inside him if he should listen or wonder what was wrong with me. 'Did she just use aegyo on me?' Dismissing that thought away, 'she would never use that, she's already cute.' Wooyoung slightly grinned and made his decision. He went downstairs to make my soup. 

After 20 minutes I felt refreshed. I felt better. And myself. But that quickly died down after a few minutes while I was brushing my teeth. Groaning my frustrations away, I opened the door and went to put my clothes in my laundry hamper that was in my room. Once done, I remembered to call Mrs. Yang to tell her I was going to be a bit late for work. She somehow noticed my voice was weird and exclaimed and asked if I was sick. I lied and said it was alright, if only that cloud of coughs didn't come my way at that moment. She told me if was fine to take the day off. More like forced. 

"Aigoooo, Eunmi you work too hard everyday. You should take this day off and relax. To get better! I'll get someone to cover your shift don't you worry. Come back to work when you're feeling better!" I could not get out of it, I had to 'rest' like she said. After a while I gaved in and said goodbye. Guess that means no work for me today. 'Then what the hell do I do now?' I thought to myself. 

Just then another cloud of coughs overtook me. Again. Today is not my day. Suddenly my stomach rumbled with hunger. Huh. That got me thinking if Wooyoung actually made me my soup. I overlooked that thought, he would not. I went downstairs in an over-sized hoodie, leggings and socks. As I got closer to the kitchen I could hear Taecyeon and Junsu yelling. What were those idiots doing now.

"EUNMI LOOK AT THIS!" Junsu took my arm and dragged me over to where Wooyoung was cooking. Soup. He was making chicken noodle soup. From scratch. "WOOYOUNG'S COOKING. WE NEVER SEEN HIM COOKED AND WE'VE KNOWN HIM SINCE WE WERE 3 YEARS OLD. I DIDN'T EVEN THINK HE KNEW HOW TO COOK!" Taecyeon exclaimed. But then he noticed something. "Eunmi, you're not wearing your glasses!" My hands instantly went up to my face. Crap. I forgot that wannabe prince Nichkhun took them. "No don't cover up, you look fine." Junsu took my hands away and pulled them down. I looked away from his gaze. 

Wooyoung spoked up, "You look better without them."

"Yeah!" Taec agreed. I twisted Junsu's hands off of my arms and went over to the glass table and sat down with my head on the glass. 

"What's wrong Eunmi?!" Junsu worriedly asked. He was as usual, wearing the lastest trends. From jeans, to shirt, to the perfect hairstyle. "She has a fever." Wooyoung replied for me. "That's why I'm cooking. She asked me to." 

That sentence right there caused chaos. 

"SHE ASKED YOU? SHE COULD HAVE ASKED ME!" Taecyeon exploded with outrage. "WHY WOULD EUNMI ASK YOU WHEN SHE HAS A HANDSOME LOVER RIGHT HERE?!" He boasted with pride by puffing his chest out. Oh god. I groaned which Junsu heard and made him chuckle. "Sit here, oppas will take care of you." He ruffled my hair. I swatted his hand away and gave him a stare. He just smiled back. These three, taking care of me? Where's Jay when you need him. I placed my head back down.

I should have gone to work. I haven't been in their company since ever. It was rare for me to be around them even though we live in the same house for more than 2 months now. 

"Hey, do you even know how to cook?" Junsu asked Wooyoung. "Mhmm." he responded. All of a sudden there was a clatter of pots and pans. I looked up and was met with a frantic Taecyeon who was trying to pick them all up. At the same time. "What are you doing?" Junsu amusly asked. "MAKING EUNMI SOUP WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE?!" 

Taec. Making me soup? He can't even make a sandwich. I banged my head against the glass. 

"Eunmi! Stop! What are you doing?! You're hurting yourself! " Junsu stopped me. "Oh ," he said once in contact with my skin. "YOU'RE BURNING UP! "

"FOR YOU BABYYYYYYYYYYY!" Taec interupted. Wooyoung stopped stirring the pot to stare at him. "What? I finished his sentence." Taec defended himself. 

"Freak." Wooyoung muttered under his breath going back to the pot and adding the finishing spices. "WHAT YOU CALL ME?" The sound of metal crashing onto the ground filled the kitchen, with his long legs Taec strided over to where Wooyoung was. "YOU'RE THE FREAK WOO."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." He replied while tasting the soup to see if it was finish yet. "A bit more salt." He muttered to himself. "ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?"

"Hmm."

"WOOYOUNG!!!" 

"HERE EUNMI, I GOT YOU AN ICE PACK!" Junsu hurridly came back, much to my displeasure, to my side. "PLACE THIS ON YOUR HEAD TO GET THE FEVER DOWN. THE IMPORTANT THING IS TO TRY AND COOL THE HEAT-..."

That was all I heard before the static came.

One second I'm hearing Junsu nag at me to take better care of myself and the next, an intense tsunami hits and floods my head causing me to grip onto something fearing I might collapse from the pain. All I could hear was that constant annoying, static sound you get from the tv when the signal is out. But just when I'm at the ends of my peak, the pain went away. Like a snap of a finger. 

Gone.

I hastily took a breath of air, in that last few seconds I been holding my breathe. 'What the hell was that?!' I thought while hungrily intaking glups of oxygen. After a few seconds, I calmed down. 'Strange. At least it's gone now.' Releasing my grip on the table's edges, I finally realized something. It was eerily quiet. What happened to all the nosie earlier?

I looked up. 

Junsu was still irking me, going on and on about the way I treat myself, and then he started to diss my clothing style saying how it's inappropreiate for a girl my age to wear guy clothes and concealing myself. Did he not see I was wearing leggings with a hoodie on top. I looked like a girl right now. What a fashion police.

Wooyoung was pouring my soup into a bowl while Taecyeon was aimlessly trying to get his attention. Completely forgetting his idea of making me soup. "WOOYOUNG, LOOK AT ME. WOOOOOOYOUNG, WHY WON'T YOU DO WHAT I WANT. WOOOOOOYOUNGGGG!!" But all that was futile as Wooyoung was carefully arranging my meal on a platter. Ignoring Taecyeon and his needs. "WHY. T^T" Taec wondered in his head while making a sad little frown on his face. 

All this was happening as I had looked up. 

But the problem was, I could not hear anything. 

It was dead silent in my perspective.

My eyes wandered everywhere, trying to figure out what was happening. Why could I not hear anything? My brain was immediately put into action, how did this happen? Was .. was it because of that random outburst of static? Could it have something to do.... oh.

As the realization hit, my tense position started to relax as it all fit together. 

Oh.

It felt strange. I had to say. Not being able to hear anything. Junsu, not noticing my alarm a few seconds ago, was still talking. Was this boy oblivious or what. Even though it was weird to not hear a word come out of his moving lips, I found it quite amusing. Like being in one of those black and white movies. Always wondering what it was like to be deaf, I took advantage of the situation. I tried reading lip. As soon as I tried, I failed terribly. It was gibberish to me, I could not comprehend anything. 

Just then, Wooyoung interrupted my fun by placing the platter with my soup in front of me. Trailing behing him was a sad face puppy. I focused my attention on him. All he did was smile a tiny smile and left to go upstairs, not waiting for a word of thanks or approval of his cooking. 

Taecyeon pushed Junsu off his seat so he can plop his depressed self on the chair. "HEY!" Junsu shouted in outrage, "I was sitting there!" The sad thing just 'hmph' in response. In reply, Junsu stormed out of the kitchen but not before he laid the ice pack on my head. 

It was comical watching all this in mute mode. 

Taking the ice pack off my head I hungrily picked up the spoon and scooped up the soup's warmness into my mouth. I ended up coughing and choking on the spiciness. Chicken noodle soup was not supposed to be this hot or salty. Taecyeon, noticing my stuggle, helped by putting the glass of water to my lips and patted my back. 

"Ottoke?!" He asked.

But of course, with my new hearing I did not repond. But knowing he asked me something along the lines of 'if I was alright' I said, "I'm fine." Once he made sure I was okay and stopped choking, he sat back on the seat. Waiting for something. Not knowing that he had asked another question, I just sat there, continuing eating the soup.

Only then, when Taecyeon's hand was in my line of vision, that I realized he wanted my attention. My abilities of reading lip did not help, so I did the one thing I could. I stuck the sandwich, that Wooyoung made on the side, in his mouth to shut him up. He was stunned but enjoyed eating and stopped pestering me.

How was it that the sandwich had not gone horribly wrong yet the soup did? Maybe that's why Wooyoung quickly left, he knew his cooking skills weren't that good. 'But it's still edible.' I thought in approval, and with that I scooped up mouthful of the slightly dreadful, yet good enough to eat soup. It made me feel better. A bit.  'Better than Jay's cooking.' I cringed at the awful memories. 

Finishing off the last spoonful and placing the spoon into the empty bowl, I got up to put the dirty dishes in the sink and clean them. A hand gently, but firmly grabbed my wrist. Taecyeon, up out of his seat, grabbed the tray from me with his unattended hand and pushed me back onto the chair. 

"Sick patients need to rest. Don't worry, leave it to me." He said with his usual, dorky smile. Guess his depression mode went away. I just sat there pretending I heard him. He left with the tray.

Not knowing what to do, I grabbed the ice pack and went into the living room where Junsu was. His back was to me as he was seatted on one of the single couches. It seem like he was furiously trying to figure out something, not wanting to disturb, I quietly walked over behind him. Over his shoudlers, he was reading and looking over some papers.

Squinting my eyes, I saw the word 'stole' 'millions' and big numbers. Ending with lots of 0's. ' A bunch of bills? ' I thought. With the situation I was in, I did not hear Junsu mumble out a few things. "Damn theives, who the hell do they think they are. At this rate, I won't have any money to buy my clothes." 

Just then, the door bell rang. Junsu, absorbed in calculating, jumped in alarm. Which caused me to step back. He whirled around to get to the door. Not noticing me, he opened the door expecting Jay and the others. "YAH JAY, WHAT ARE WE-" his sentence trailed off as he grasped who he was talking to. A girl. A very pretty girl. 

She had him left speechless. His mouth was wide open. The girl was shyly looking down. 

Eunmi, not paying attention to the front door, laid down on the three cushion couch with the ice pack on her forehead. 'Damn this fever', I bitterly thought. 'When will the sound come back?' 

It actually scared me, how I could not hear. It felt like I was alone in the world. It sadden me how I could not listen to my music when I needed it the most now. Music always calmed me down. Music or dancing. Whichever one. Or a walk. I dug the palm of my hands onto my eyes.

"Keep waiting, it's going to be over soon." I muttered to myself. 

Just then I felt a hand clutch my arm. "Eunmi, everything alright?"

"I'm fine," was my instant reply. I stopped rubbing my eyes, did I just reply back? If I did, then that meant... I could hear the other person's question. Comfirming my thoughts, I could now hear the sound of cars passing by outside from the slighty open window and the running waters from upstairs. Taecyeon was taking a shower.

The person holding onto my arm let go. 

"Uh, Eunmi. There's this person..." Removing my hands away, I trained my eyes on the person that was not supposed to be in my line of view.

Junsu was a few steps behind a worried-eyed Minhee. Once she caught my attention, she hurridly ran to my side and crouched down to my level. "Eunmi-ah ottoke?! You should be in bed, with a warm blanket resting! Not out here!" Oh god, she was like a second Junsu. 

I could only stare at her. Wondering why and how was she here. 

In my goddamn house. 

Junsu was stunned on how a pretty girl like her knew an unsocial person like me. 

"What are you doing here." I asked with my dead tone voice. She slightly pulled away by still held onto me and replied, "My brother said to come here after I was done with things at home." I furrowed my brows, brother? I never met her brother. 

Seeing my confusion she was about to answer when the front door rang again. "I'll get it!" Junsu said and went to go answer it. And then loud noises happened. 

"JUNSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!" A familiar voice screamed out. "SUNGJOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG! " Junsu equally screamed out in glee. Wait. Did Junsu say...

I turned my head to the right to look at the front door. 

Oh. My. God.

What the hell is happening. 

The 7 guys stumbled in the house and said their hellos. "Oppa!" Minhee suddenly exclaimed. My eyes wandered over to her and then to the person that spoke. "Hey Minhee." Myungsoo replied and smiled.

Minhee. Myungsoo. Kim Minhee. Kim Myungsoo.

No wonder she looked familiar. Oh goddamnit. 

The guys then realized who else was in the living room. They were all curiously staring at me. Woohyun, noticing the ice pack on my forehead broke off from the group and came over to where I was. "Did you drink medicine yet?" He asked. I shifted my gaze away from his. I almost forgot I was not wearing glasses. Great. Just plain great. 

"No she didn't. She just ate soup Wooyoung made. Plus we don't have any." Junsu replied for me, seeing as I was not replying. "Woohyun brought Eunmi some medicine." Songjong then blurted out. Not minding the sudden silence, Woohyun went into the kitchen and came back with a spoon and water bottle. The Infinite gang was awkwardly sitting around in the living room as this was their first time being in 2pm's Jay's house. 

Minhee was still by my side, and Junsu was back at his spot sorting out the papers. 

I then felt Woohyun lifting my upper body into a sitting position. He unscrewed the cap from the medicine bottle and poured a bit onto the spoon's curved edge. He then placed the spoon in front of my mouth. "Ahhh ~" he said.

No.

I was not going to let him feed me. Grabbing the spoon out of his hands, I insterted it in my mouth and gulped down the medicine. Bitter-tasting as always. Woohyun then handed the water to me and I drank a large portion of it. I was thirsty and wanted to erase the pungent taste.

Minhee took the spoon and water bottle out of my hands and pushed me back down on the couch. "Rest Eunmi-ah." How could I rest when the girl I rudely yelled at yesterday and the guys I ran into months ago and disappeared all of a sudden were in my living room actting all normal.

It was silent yet again as Minhee shuffled over to the kitchen. 

Beisde me, Woohyun took over Minhee's spot and looked over me. Wooyoung then came down the stairs with a blanket in his hands, wanting to know what all the noise was before. Upon seeing Infinite, he gave a little wave of his hands and went over to where I was. He laid the blanket on top of me. 

"YAH, WHY DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT FOR ME WHENEVER I'M SICK?!" Junsu asked in jealously. "Eunmi's cuter." Woohyun replied. Wooyoung just grinned in agreement and sat himself down next to Junsu who was fuming. 

Minhee came back, noticing that her spot was taken pouted, and sat down beside Sungyeol. My stomach flip-floped at the mention of his name. Weird, why did it do that? I wanted to look at his direction but I found I could not. I did not know why I couldn't. I was mentally battling in my head. Look or don't look? Giving in, I took a glance at his direction. 

He was smiling at something Minhee said. 

It was my first time seeing his smile. I didn't know he could sprout out emotions too. 

Something burned in the pit of my stomach as I watched the two silently laugh and smile with each other. Why was I feeling like this? The fever, must be the fever I rationlized. I wanted to look away, but I couldn't. But then my vision was covered as Woohyun blocked my sight with his large hand. "Don't look," he quietly said that only I could hear. 

How did he know ?

Feeling weird, I knocked his hand aside, pushed the blanket off and walked towards the front door. The guys were surprised at my actions, "What are you doing?" Junsu asked me. "Going to work." I had to get out of here. "But you're sick!" He exclaimed.

Wooyoung, Woohyun, and Minhee was about to get up to pull me back onto the couch. I quickly and swiftly slipped on my shoes, "I'm fine." was my reply before I bolted out the door. 

Sungyeol did not notice I was gone as he deeply concentrated on his best friend Minhee. He didn't even look in my direction. All he could pay attention to was Minhee's pretty face causing him to smile and create a warm feeling in his heart.