Min Jee’s Story

Does true love exist for me?
 
Not that much later the two were seated in a little café only two streets away from their school. It was the farthest that Youngwoon could take her, before she was getting mad again. It hadn’t even been that hard to get her out of the school. He had told her that he would tell her everything if she just followed him and that after she had heard him out; she could decide what to do. She had looked around and saw that it was nine against one. It was a battle she probably wouldn’t be able to win.
 
Not long after they got seated, a waiter came to take their order. “A tea please.” Min Jee asked for after looking at the menu and deciding against taking a cake, although she would have let Youngwoon pay.  Youngwoon just ordered a coffee. When the waiter was gone, he kept staring at Min Jee and after a little while he said: “Wow, that’s unexpected. I thought that you were a coffee-person.” Min Jee didn’t even reply to that, except for rolling with her eyes. Why would she care about what that guy thought of her?
 
For her there was only one thing important at the moment and it irritated her that he hadn’t started talking already. He was just stalling. “What are you guys doing to my friend?” a more demand for an answer than a question was voiced. There was a really irritated tone added to the demand. Youngwoon looked unsure. He was bit scared of her reaction for when he would have told everything.
 
“Well..” He scratched his head. He really had to tell everything, right? Even though there was a big chance that Min Jee would tell it all to her best friend. “What are you waiting for? You said you would tell everything.” The glance in her eyes was not kidding. She would be able to storm out right now, if he wouldn’t tell. Then it would be eight against one and a strong opponent would be too late to keep her from her goal. She wasn’t even scared of most of the guys. They were more scared of her and she knew that really well.
 
Knowing all this, Youngwoon cleared his throat and decided to tell everything: “As you probably already know, we locked the two of them up in the classroom.” She just nodded. “Donghae really likes Yoon Hee and we just wanted to help him. He really need to come out of his shell and get a girlfriend, but he is too shy to do so himself.” They got interrupted as their drinks were coming their way. They stopped talking and thanked for the service.
 
Min Jee placed the teabag in her tea and played with it for some time. Youngwoon did not know how to continue with what he was saying. At the time she pulled it out; she had arranged her thoughts and knew what she wanted to know: “I get that, but is locking them up really necessary?” Surprisingly, her voice sounded peaceful with no underlying tone. But it couldn’t calm Youngwoon down. “It wasn’t my plan. Jungsoo came up with it.  So please don’t blame it on me.” He quickly defended himself. There was no way that we wanted trouble with Min Jee even though he participated in the plan.
 
The girl chuckled. She found it amusing that this strong and manly man was scared of her. The first meeting must really left an impression. “Alright. You don’t have to get in the defensive mode. I was just wondering.” She smiled. This did unexpectedly calmed him down and the nervousness he had been feeling since he was chosen to take her away from school was fading away. He himself didn’t really get how that did happen, but the smile on the girl’s face had some magical effect on him.  
 
“But couldn’t you just have let them figure things out themselves?” This was the last thing that she was curious of. It didn’t matter for her decision anymore. She already had decided to stay here and to just ‘forget’ that she knew of the plan. It was not that the boys would do something awful to her best friend. In the last few weeks had those Super Jerks changed to Super Jellies in her eyes. “For weeks now they have gotten themselves in the friend zone and I don’t see that changing without help anytime soon. Btw. we can all see that Yoon Hee likes him too. ” Youngwoon explained. He had changed his position so that he was seated more comfy. He also had noticed that she wouldn’t go running back to school anymore. “True,” Min Jee just bluntly said. Why hide that fact when everyone already can see it. Everyone, but those two.
 
Youngwoon had just nodded. After spending the last few weeks with the two girls he had learned that Min Jee was really straightforward. So it hadn’t come as a surprise that she hadn’t denied the fact. “Anyway, the method is still cliché. A bit more creativity shouldn’t be impossible, right.” They both laughed. It really was a cliché plan. “Then you don’t know the name that was made-up for this mission. Operation YoonHae, Action 3: Lock up.” That did crack her up. It was just too ridiculous. “Yeah, what to say to this..?” she sighed as she shook her head. Some idiots they were.
 
Somehow Min Jee now had gotten curious to what the boys had done already as it already was action 3 and she wanted to know if there had been any progress in the classroom. The boy told her everything and they both made fun of the actions of the boys even though he had been a big part of it. When he tells her about the zero progress and awkward sphere between to two nearly lovers in the classroom, Min Jee shook her head and chuckled: “I could have told you that from the beginning.” In the moment she poked with her finger in his arm like she normally would do to Yoon Hee. It took him by surprise and he was dumbfounded. In the last one and a half hour Min Jee had turned more and more girly in his eyes. Furthermore that last action had flustered his heart. He didn’t know what to say anymore and Min Jee also didn’t make an effort to break the silence. It was an awkward silence.
 
In the end he broke the silence as he couldn’t comprehend some of the behavior of this girl. She acted all tough, but underneath all that she turned out to be quite girly. She only doesn’t show it that much. There was also another thing. “What I was wondering; what do you have against guys?” Youngwoon asked her carefully, as he was scared that she didn’t like the question and would hit him for asking. In fact, she did not like the question as it was a somewhat painful subject for her. “Can you please forget that you asked this? I do not wish to talk about it.”
 
“I’m sorry. I was just wondering, but if you don’t want to talk about it, we won’t.” So she didn’t like the question, but at least she hadn’t hit him. That made him happy, although they were back to the awkward silence. Youngwoon was biting his lip to keep the smile from his face. It didn’t work out that well though. Min Jee had noticed it to and it was really cute in her eyes. Just like he had been pleasantly surprised by the things he got to know about her; she liked learning more of his different sides too. As much that she nearly forgot that he is one of the species she despises.
 
After thinking it over, she opened : “Not many people besides Yoon Hee know the full story about why I don’t like guys that much.” She started, still a bit unsure if she wanted to tell him. “I guess that that is an understatement.” The guy mocked her. This comment earned him a strong kick his shins. He let out a cry and started rubbing the pain away. “Hey! I’m telling it you now.. So I got a little better.” The first part was yelled, but second part didn’t sound as impressive. Like she was not sure of what she was saying. “True, true. So you are going to tell me?” The girl shyly nodded. In a spit second she had made up her mind. It made Youngwoon wonder what had made her change her mind.
 
Min Jee herself also didn’t know why, but she did feel the need to tell. To share her story with someone else, even though Yoon Hee already knew of course and would always be her listening ear. She knew that she was misunderstood a lot because of her general dislike of men. Normally she didn’t care about that, but now… she wanted him to understand her point of view. She wanted share her feelings, problems and most importantly her story with him. She somehow trusted him. The only problem was that she didn’t really know how to start telling.
 
She was biting her lip trying to get all facts straight before she could start. Youngwoon remained silent. Just waiting for the girl to be ready to talk. He wanted to give her all the time she would need as he it seemed to be a difficult subject for her. After taking a big gulp of air she started telling. “There is one big reason why I’m not fond of men. It’s my dad.” She stated the main point. She saw Youngwoon looking confused and a bit shocked. Just like most people he thought of home as a safe and warm place and he had a good relationship with his parents.
 
“My parents are divorced. Basically, my dad left my mother because of another woman.” Youngwoon just silently nodded. He didn’t really know what to say. “I was nine years old when that happened. But even before that; the relationship of my parent wasn’t good. They did fight a lot. My father came home late when I would already be in bed, but I could never sleep. The arguments, I can still hear them. Even after all those years.” Her voice cracked. She really did her best not to let the tears fall. Even after all those years this still haunted her, mostly in her sleep. The only one that knew of her nightmares was Yoon Hee. She didn’t dare to tell her mother, because she knew that her mother was hurting as much as she was and she didn’t want to trouble her more.
 
The boy still kept silent. “But that’s not the worst thing. One time when I wanted to welcome my father home, things went wrong again. They were fighting again, but this time it was even worse. I saw my father hitting my mother and not just once. I felt so helpless as I didn’t know how to stop him.” Tears were now coming out as she remembers every feeling and happening of back then. “Even my crying didn’t stop him. He was dead drunk. Nothing could bring him to stop.” She stopped, whipping of her tears. She hadn’t wanted to look this pitiful, but the tears didn’t stop flowing.
 
Youngwoon wanted to go sit next to her and to comfort her. But something prevented him to put an arm around her and to tell her that it’s okay. He was afraid of her reaction. After all he is of the same species as her dad. “Later I found out that my mother had already found my father cheating and that she had confronted him with it the day before,” she sighed. She now had told the biggest part of her story and came out of her own world that she had been in for the last few minutes while telling. She found back control of her emotions and now realized that some people in the café were looking at them, curious of why she had been crying. Whispering to each other, wondering what the boy did to his girlfriend. That was how they were seeing them. Not liking this attention she excused herself and headed to the bathroom.
 
She cleaned her face, erasing all traces of her crying. She couldn’t understand herself as she was staring in the mirror. Why did she tell it to him? How could she have let him she her weak side. The side she only she had only showed to Yoon Hee as she was really feeling comfort and at ease whenever she was with her. It was not like she was close to Youngwoon, so why? How is it that she trusted him? She sighed and decided to head back. She didn’t say anything after sitting back at their table. In the end it was Youngwoon who broke the silence again. He had taken the time she was away to think over how he could react to her story. “So you hate all men, because of your father?” he asked cautiously, not wanting to say something wrong. The girl shook her head. “My dad is not the only man, who made my mother cry.”
 
A huge question mark was written on the boy’s face. “Not the only one?” He kind of blurted out, but fast after he covered his mouth. He mentally slapped himself. How could he just blurt that out? It seemed a bit inconsiderable in his eyes, but Min Jee didn’t mind. She just nodded. He put his hand back down on the table and looked at her with a curious look in his eyes. He really wanted to learn more about her. He wanted to be able to understand her.
 
She bit her lip again. She still couldn’t understand herself. Why was she telling it all to this man? Her whole story. Nevertheless, she still did continue. “I will not go in detail with this, but after my parents’ divorce I stayed with my mother, of course. So I have seen how heartbroken my mother was. After all, she really did love my father or so I believe. Her broken heart needed lots of love, but it never really got the chance to heal.” She sighed. Youngwoon could see the pain on her face as she told it.
 
“My mother has had a lot of boyfriends, but whenever she seemed to be really happy with those men, when her heart seemed to heal, it got broken again. She got dumped. Mostly after like half a year/a year.” She hadn’t been looking in his eyes, but instead focused on her teacup.  “Seeing my mother in pain because of men, I became to hate them.” She concluded while looking up right in his eyes. However there was no hate to be seen in her eyes. They were dark, but no emotion could be read in them.
 
After her hearing her story, he sympathized with her. It must have been hard to be going through such a situation at a young age. However he still didn’t understand all parts of her story and he also didn’t know how to react to it or how formulate the questions he had. All he could do was staring back at her, trying to figure out what she was thinking, but not finding anything.
 
 

~~~~~~

I noticed how much my writing style changed and how much longer the chapters got. Personally I do like it. But I was wondering of my readers also like the change. Therefore this poll xD:
 
Anyway, in this chapter Min Jee's characters background is explained. Although I only write in Yoon Hee's pov and the no one pov, Min Jee is an important character and she will get a bigger stage instead of just being the best friend.
I hope you liked the chapter ^^. And remember: comment make every writer happy!