Day Four

Dear Diary,

Beep Beep Beep

I groaned but still managed to smack my alarm clock to stop the noise that kept playing over and over in my head forcing me to wake up and stop the dream I was having. I made sure to set my alarm for an earlier time than Byunghun who used his phone as an alarm so I could have enough time to read the next entry before he had any ideas of waking up for the first day of school. We both discovered we had the same English class in the morning so we promised to walk to class together since we actually were friends and all. It felt nice to have friends who cared and didn’t use me for girls, but I still felt that same empty spot in my heart where Soo Young currently was. I would give anything to see her right now even if it meant dropping everything just to see her for an hour, minute; second anything would be good as long as I saw her.

I felt the diary under my pillow and almost couldn’t grasp it when all I knew was that she was going to make me cry once more and torture me on my first day of school. Maybe I should wait until I’m settled into college, but I knew I couldn’t. It was like reading a thrilling story in a novel where putting the book down was almost impossible and wanting to read it was always on the mind. I slid my hand over the cover while it still remained under my pillow under I finally grabbed it and pulled it out. I didn’t have all morning to do this and I was on a limited time frame from when I needed to start getting ready to when Byunghun would wake up.

I could already feel the tears well up in my eyes as I flipped to the fourth page and braced myself for the entry ahead of me.

Dear Diary,

                Did I forget to write in you again? Oh well this isn’t going to be my life so I don’t want to worry about keeping track of it, besides it’s not like anyone else is going to be reading this but me. Time in school is going by slowly but something important did happen today in my math class which is why I had the sudden urge to write this down before I forget it. My secret crush, yes he is in my math class, talked to me! He turned to me with that amazing smile of his and he asked me what my name was and why I haven’t talked to him. I nearly froze and forgot my name! I’m pretty sure I was blushing up a storm but I actually responded and tried to laugh it off to make it seem like I wasn’t interested in him. I don’t want to come off as the clingy shy girl you know? He chuckled and he went back to his work but that isn’t all he did! At the end of class he handed me a piece of paper with his name and number on it saying ‘Call me some time’ OH MY GOD HE WANTS ME TO CALL HIM SOME TIME! I don’t think I can, I’d be a blushing stuttering mess if I tried calling him! Maybe I should just text him, or maybe give him my number and hope he calls me! I don’t know what to do but I’m so happy he noticed me that I can’t help but smile and grin and my mom was wondering why I was in such a good mood today, but wouldn’t you be in one if your secret crush showed interest in you? Whoa! I just realized this whole entry is about him…I guess I was a bit excited huh? Next time I promise to have more interesting things to talk about! Pinky promise and everything! Well I’ll write in you later my dear precious diary that is my escape from reality. Parting is such sweet sorrow, kekeke.

---Lee Soo Young

I knew I wasn’t crying this time, I knew I was smiling so widely that I thought my face was going to be stuck like this and I had no problem about that at all. She was that affected when I did that?! She even wrote about it in her diary and obsessed over it? I can barely even remember that day when I had the courage to finally talk to her and attempt to use my player skills on her in hopes that she actually liked me. If only I just asked her out then instead of waiting longer than I needed to; we could have been together even longer and shared more memories together.

I snapped out of my thoughts the second I heard a new alarm go off and I knew instantly that it was Byunghun’s phone making the noise so I immediately got up and ran for the shower before he could even hit the snooze button. I took a quick shower knowing that Byunghun would want to take one as well and got dressed as fast as I could before exiting the bathroom and walking towards my school supplies. When Byunghun stepped into the bathroom I took that time to gather my things together and make sure I held everything without missing a single book or pencil. College here ran a bit differently than High School did and it was a lot simpler and easier to understand. I took all my classes on one day to make things better on me so I only go to school every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for one hour each for a total of three credit hours in the week. I always got Tuesdays, Thursdays and the weekends off due to my schedule and as much as the free days sounded like relaxing time it actually meant it gave me time to find a job to fill in my extra free time. I wanted to be completely prepared when Soo Young goes to college and that meant having money for her to spend freely.

I was once again brought back to reality when Byunghun exited the bathroom and tossed his dirty clothes into his basket. “Hey why are you zoning out over there, we have to hurry to get to class before all the good seats are taken.” He quickly grabbed his backpack and I grabbed mine and soon enough we were out the door and heading out the building.

“Should we grab something to eat before we go?” I asked subconsciously touching my stomach to see if I was even hungry yet, but I was always told to eat breakfast in the morning.

“I’m sure the rest of the guys are over there, we can just grab a muffin or something to hold us out until later.” Byunghun replied and turned towards the direction of the dining hall and I followed him as fast as I could.

As expected the whole group was eating at the table that they seemed to always sit at and even had two muffins for us as if they knew we were going to show up and be hungry. Good thing because every line seemed long and would have taken way too long.

“Thank you!” I said and bit into the muffin, it was a banana nut muffin and it felt like I was eating heaven.

“Yeah well Ricky said if you guys didn’t show up he’d just eat them so we’re glad you showed.” Daniel chuckled and Minsoo chuckled as well when Changhyun looked offended and pretended like they were lying.

“That’s so noble of you Ricky.” Byunghun joined in and had already eaten most of his muffin already. It seemed like the whole crew was about to get up and leave so I immediately shoved the rest of the muffin in my mouth and followed them out after they threw away their trash and cleaned up their table.

I checked the time right before Byunghun and I headed into the Language Arts building and knew we were still early. Byunghun said the best seats in any school is always the middle seats when dealing with college classes. Everyone knows in a college lecture hall there are seats leading up the room and sitting in the front meant you’re a nerd, but sitting in the back meant you were a rebel. Sitting in the middle usually meant no questions asked in that direction or attention in that direction. When we got to class he found the perfect seats and soon enough he was on his phone and texting someone while I set up my school supplies and got ready for class. He forgot to mention that sitting in the middle meant getting away with texting on his phone.

“Hello everyone.”

I looked up from my notebook and noticed the whole class filled with people and the instructor up front getting the attention from all of the students. Even Byunghun put up his phone and started to look at the teacher.

“Welcome to most of your first semester of college. As for the rest of you who repeated this class or chose to take it at a later date I hope you enjoy the class and pass it this time. I am Mrs. Choi and I will be your English instructor for this semester of college. If you chose this class then you must be taking some form of language arts major and you will be encountering other languages along the way. I hope to help you learn your English this time around and do not be frightened when we start speaking only in English.” The instructor explained and from the nervous glances around the room anyone could tell they were going to have a hard time. Byunghun seemed confident in his abilities and was even smirking while Mrs. Choi was speaking.

“Mr. Blond over there seems a bit confident, are you sure you know as much English as you think you do?” Mrs. Choi turned her attention to the middle row which Byunghun bragged about being the hidden row and had her full attention on him.

He then said something in English, something about him knowing it or something but don’t quote me I don’t really know it that well. The teacher responded back in English and soon enough the whole morning of English Composition 102 was comprised of those two speaking and almost teaching the class a thing or two about the English language.

Luck was on my side when I entered my Survey of Eastern Civilization and saw two smiling familiar faces sitting close to the front of the class. I had forgotten that Changhyun and Jonghyun had history in their majors and most likely needed all of those classes for their basics. The class wasn’t too interesting to me but to them they stayed alert and listened to everything Mr. Lee had to say about the beginning topics of the Eastern Civilization. It was good to have these two in class because that meant sharing notes and doing homework together.

And luck continued to love me when I spotted Minsoo in my Algebra class and I couldn’t help but crack a smile when he waved me over to his seat. Math was no problem to me and I had a feeling this was going to be the easiest of all my classes this semester and most likely the one I’ll sleep in the most. Back in High school as said in Soo Young’s diary I did the assignment while the teacher was talking and was finished before she finished every time. This class was going to be no different and Minsoo being there just made the class a lot more tolerable and fun; though math could never actually be fun.

General Biology I knew I had Daniel in and met up with him before the class started and we grabbed something to eat before heading over. It was good to have so many friends and to be able to share my classes with them, back in High School my friends were barely my friends and only hung out with me at parties or outings away from school. At school all I had were the stares from multiple girls in each of my classes to keep me company—that is until I met Lee Soo Young. The first day of class nothing really happens and it was the same no matter where you go. In Biology Mrs. Park just spoke about the schedule of the homework assignments along with tests and other projects along the way. The class didn’t seem too hard but I never underestimate a class and with it being Biology I had to be extra careful for I was not the best when it came to science.

And here comes to the point in my day where everyone is waiting for me to talk about. The time in the day where I had to go to my last class and face whatever mysteries that were behind those doors. I had a feeling none of my friends were taking this class and I only knew one person who had this class, who blatantly said she had this class was Ji Young.

“Here goes nothing.” I sighed and opened the doors to the classroom and walked right into the loud classroom full of students—I didn’t care to get there early for a good seat, I just wanted this class over with and to never go to it again.

“Oh! Chanhee!” I knew it was her voice the second she shouted within the classroom and pointed to one of the only empty seats in the class. She planned this I just know it.

“I hate my life.” I muttered but my feet betrayed how I was really feeling and I felt myself walking towards her seat and sitting down.

“I’m so glad you came in time before someone took this seat.” She smiled sweetly and I knew just then that she was probably telling everyone that the seat was taken if they even dared sit next to her.

“Thank you for saving me a seat then.” I stated in an almost robot-like voice and kept my eyes on the front of the room in hopes for the instructor to come in any minute and start class. I purposely came almost late just so I didn’t have to converse with the girl sitting next to me with the disgustingly happy smile.

My luck must have run dry because in the end we were paired in groups of two, Ji Young picking me, and we had to come up with multiple story ideas and write them down before Wednesday. The nice thing was our instructor let us out early, but my luck was ruined once more when Ji Young followed me and asked me when a good time to meet up would be.

“How about tomorrow, do you have class?” I asked just wanting to get away from her for the rest of the day and be happy that I didn’t have any assignments besides this one.

“Sounds like a date to me.” She giggled and smiled sweetly. “You can come over to the language arts building around eleven and we can spend the day together going over ideas. Can’t wait to see you.” She gave me no room to answer her as she ran off when she spotted her friends and waved goodbye. When I said I didn’t want to see her today I regretted it because now my whole Tuesday was ruined by a girl who definitely had a crush on me and was not going to give up easily.

Yup, and that, my friends, was my first day of college. When does the semester end again?