Day Sixteen

Dear Diary,

It was different today. The setting wasn’t at that same school or in that same classroom but rather at a house I recognized vaguely to be my own. My dream-self looked happy for some reason unknown to myself and she immediately got ready for what looked like a date. I didn’t recall going on a date or dating anyone in high school so maybe this was just a fantasy I must’ve had when I was younger.

I ended up at the front of my school where that same cute boy was waiting for me. All I could make out of him was that usual smile of his that always seemed to warm my dream-self’s heart up. He winked when I got closer and said a few inaudible words before walking with me following alongside him. Was my dream-self going out on a date with this mysterious cute boy from her math class? Every time I try to think about this person my heart just hurts even more and I even up having to ask a nurse for some painkillers to null the pain.

He walked with her all over the town buying her—well me different snacks and seemed to be listened to every inaudible word that left my dream-self’s mouth. I wish I could know about what was going on and what made each of them laugh when they would tell a silent joke. It was irriating me and yet I still continued to go along with this dream—it wasn’t like I had much of a choice in the matter.

All throughout the day this boy was as nice as he could be, he even held my hand during the movie we watched and won me a small bear from a crane machine afterwards. He was being the perfect boyfriend and at the very end he said his goodbyes and left.

Just left. Without much of a sweet kiss on the cheek or even a silent invitation to do this again another time. He just left and my dream-self had a feeling of pure sadness right afterwards.

“Are you okay?”

I looked up at the nurse that had walked into the room without me noticing. I nodded my hand and smiled at her. “I’m fine, just a little woozy.”

“Do you want to take some painkillers?” She asked and I nodded once more. Maybe some painkillers will get rid of this feeling of sadness that I had felt from that very vivid day dream.

I just wish I could make out his face or even know his name. I want to know more about this dream boy I keep seeing and I want to know why he is so important to me.

Losing your memory really sometime!

Once I took some painkillers when the nurse came back I just smiled and hoped that my stay at this hospital will end soon or else I might go insane.

--------------------------------------

Riiiiing! Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing!

“Ugh!” Byunghun shouted and threw a pillow which initially woke me up.

“What?!”

“Your phone is going off and it’s annoying!” Byunghun whined and turned over in his bed to probably get comfortable once more.

I felt around for my phone until I finally heard the ringing as well and answered it right before it went to voicemail. “Hello?”

“Hello sir, Mr. Lee, right?” An unfamiliar voice asked on the other side.

“Hmm, yeah this is Lee Chanhee.” It felt weird to say my actual name when I’m usually known as Chunji in this school—or at least by my friends.

“I’m calling on behalf of a part time job you applied for earlier this month. We’re looking for a part-time waiter, would you be interested in an interview for the job?”  The unfamiliar voice explained and all I could do was smile as widely as possible.

“Yes! When do you want me to come over for it? I’m off for the weekend so I’m practically free anytime.” I immediately responded hoping to get an interview sooner than later.

“Anytime is fine by us, we’re on Taedong street, the small ramyun shop you applied for if you remember.” The voice concluded and it sounded like he was smiling from the way he spoke after hearing my enthusiasm at the job offer.

“Thank you!” I didn’t mean to shout but I couldn’t help it. The phone call ended after that and I was wide awake, ready to start this weekend. I have a lot going on for me right now, college, dance practice and now a chance at a part time job at that Ramyun shop I applied for back when we were all job hunting.

After that phone call I immediately got a text message so I flipped open my phone once more and noticed a message from Jonghyun. I wonder why he is texting me so early on a Saturday morning?

Did you get a job offer this morning?

Oh! I immediately texted him back saying I did and asked if it was for the same thing he was offered as. I forgot that we went job hunting together and turned in applications for the same places. If we could be co-workers that would be amazing!

He texted back a little after asking if we could go together for the job interview and I responded that I would have to get ready but to meet up in thirty minutes down in the lobby. I still had to get ready and read Soo Young’s diary entry for the day before even leaving my room.

So after I was done texting him I instantly went to get ready so that I would not to be too late. I hoped that Soo Young’s diary entry wouldn’t be bad but really I would just have to find out when I read it. I can only hope for the best when it comes to Soo Young. Last diary entry was about her sickness getting worse and I can only imagine it is the same sickness that sent her to the hospital.

Dear Diary,

                 It’s getting worse. My sickness has been around for a few months now and believe me it’s even hard to write in this even though I only write in her every once in a while. I don’t want to tell anyone. I don’t want Chanhee to worry about me and I don’t want to cost my parents any more money since I know going to a hospital would be expensive. I can handle this evil cold, it only drains my energy every once in a while and yeah it’s causing my grades to slip but I’ll make it up. Chanhee offered to tutor me if I don’t understand something but I just have to last another month before it’s the end of the semester. I only have one more year left of school at this point and I’ve talked to Chanhee about the idea of us going to college together, he absolutely loved it and said anywhere I want to go is where he wants to go. He really is the best boyfriend I could have at this moment.
Let’s just hope this sickness doesn’t pull us apart.

--Lee Soo Young

I think after reading so much of her diary I’ve finally picked up an immune system that allows me to have enough will power to not just immediately burst into tears when I read her entries. Byunghun could hear me sniffle and in a sob every once in a while when I read this because he asked if I was going to be okay during the middle of it but I completely ignored him so that I could continue to read it.

“Are you really going to be okay?” He asked once more when he heard the book shut and me move from my spot.

I looked up at him and nodded. “Yeah, I’ll be fine, I’ll be around for dance practice today so don’t worry about me, have a fun day with Ji Young okay?" He nodded back to me and smiled. I had to keep a smile on my face at this point or else I would most likely break down.

After that it was about time to meet up with Jonghyun in the lobby and I said my goodbye to Byunghun and left. I hoped that he would have a fantastic day with Ji Young and I also hoped that things worked out well for Jonghyun and me as well.

"Oh!" Right when I got to the end of the staircase Jonghyun noticed me and walked over with a smile on his face. "It's good to see you."

"You look almost relieved, anything going on?" I laughed at his surprised expression that went on his face and he laughed as well scratching the back of his head.

"Let's just say it was hard to leave my room by myself this morning." He chuckled and glanced up at the staircase as if someone else was going to go down as well.

"Are things going okay with Ricky?"

"Huh? Oh yeah they are but he's at this point where he doesn't want to leave my side." He sighed and lost the smile on his face. "I'm getting worried that he won't be able to do things on this own."

"Hmm." I didn't really know what to say in this sort of situation. From what I could tell Changhyun had some sort of attachment to Jonghyun but I didn't know if it was because they were best friends—or if Changhyun wanted to be more than best friends.

"Anyways! We have a job interview today." His smile rece more and he quickly grabbed my arm so that we could leave the building and soon enough leave the campus. It was great that we had the chance to be co-workers and we were not going to let this chance slide.

It didn't take us too long by bus to get to the small shop and when we came in it looked practically empty. I remembered putting in an application to this place thinking they'd probably not call back just because of how small it was and how there were no customers around.

"Oh! You must be Chanhee and Jonghyun, right?" An old man came from the back and gestured for us to follow him into the back to probably start the interview. We nodded to each other and walked in hoping for good results.

"So what do we need to do for the interview?" Jonghyun asked once we sat down in the chairs provided for us in the old man's small office.

"Nothing, I actually really need workers right now so I want to hire both of you right now." He smiled and pushed forward two pieces of paper for us to fill out in order to get the job. Great! I don't even need to be prepared for this!

It didn't take long for us to fill out the sheets and hand them back to him so that he could look them over. "Oh call me Mr. Choi from now on." He looked over the sheets and smiled at them saying they were good enough and we could start at any time.

Of course we had to explain that we were college students who could only work on certain days but he was fine with that and said that any time we could work would be perfect for him. He explained to us that his old workers retired and didn't want to work anymore and actually he only had one worker right now which was the person who had called us in. It was great that he needed the workers but I still felt bad that he lost almost his whole staff at once.

"Well we'll do the best we can." Jonghyun smiled at Mr. Choi and arose from his seat signaling to me that it was time for us to go. Looking at the clock I noticed it was almost time for dance practice so of course Jonghyun would want to leave soon.

On the way to the dance studio Jonghyun seemed worried about the job offer since dancing and school already took up most of his time, but he didn't want to lose this chance since the old man was really nice and accepting to any times he could come in.

"Look if you can't handle it that’s fine, but at least give it a chance and maybe it won't be so bad." I smiled and reassured him that he'll be fine and I could help him with any sort of school problems or if he couldn't make it to work I could work his shift for him. He smiled at me and patted me on the shoulder saying I was the best kind of friend to have in this situation.

"Oh! Speaking of best friends I wonder how Ricky is going to take this since I won't be by his side all of the time now." He seemed generally worried about this but I was sure Changhyun would understand the situation.

"We'll tell him about it when we get to the dance studio, I'm sure he'll be fine and be happy for you." I answered.

But I spoke too soon.

"What do you mean?! How could you get a job and not even tell me about it?" Changhyun immediately folded his arms and frowned at his best friend. I was starting to think that Changhyun liked Jonghyun far more than just a 'best friend'.

"It was a great opportunity and I can work alongside Chunji, can't you be happy for me?" Jonghyun instantly retorted and frowned at his unhappy friend. Changhyun didn't look any less mad and only looked like he was about to blow up from anger.

"I'm not happy about this. I'm not happy at all and why couldn't I get an interview as well?" He continued to question Jonghyun.

"Look Ricky you never applied for it so of course you weren't going to get an interview, we're sorry for not telling you about it." I interrupted their argument but Changhyun still did not look very happy about it.

"Okay guys can we stop fighting?" Daniel finally joined in the conversation as well which got Byunghun and Minsoo involved as well.

"We'll talk about this later." Changhyun pouted and unfolded his arms walking away to the dance studio where his instructor was waiting.

At this time Daniel finally walked up to me. "What was that about?" I just shrugged and sighed. There was far too much drama going on for something as small as a job interview.

I really didn't know what else to do so I started walking towards where our dance instructor was and asked Daniel, "Do you like or hate it when two boys or girls get together?"

"Huh? Well uh I'm straight but I guess I don't mind if others aren't, why?"  He looked completely taken back by my question but that was only natural since I was asking about a very sensitive subject.

"I think Ricky has a crush on Changjo, but Changjo dismisses it as him being his best friend, but I think there is more to it than just that." I really didn't know for sure but I was starting to suspect it even more from what Jonghyun was telling me.

"Hmm." He thought about it for a second and nodded. "Yeah I see what you mean, but let's not assume anything too big yet since those two have been friends forever so maybe he is just a very sensitive best friend to Changjo."

"Yeah that's why I haven't said anything to Changjo yet, I just hope that things don't end badly for them." I sighed and opened the door to our practice room and tried to think of anything but this topic. I had to focus on dancing and getting my skills up so I could at least have a chance in the idol world.

I tried my hardest to not think about things involving college, my friends, family and even Soo Young but eventually I ended up on the ground with Hyeon looking at me like I was insane for falling from such a simple dance move.

"Should we just stop for today?" She asked but I just shook my head and continued to practice until Daniel had to drag me out of the room for a break.

"Look you are just not focused and that's fine, you can talk to me about it if you'd like." Daniel sighed and sat next to me after buying two bottles of water from a vending machine not far from where our practice room was.

"I'm fine, I just have a lot on my mind and a lot of unsettled business. I should keep just focus on my own life and not worry about everyone else's." I sigh and look at the water bottle absentmindedly. I couldn't help but think about the secret relationship between Ji Young and Byunghun and how much Daniel liked her. I couldn't stop thinking about the friendship between Changhyun and Jonghyun hoping that things work out.

And don't even get me started on my family matters and girlfriend. With this whole 'wanting to be a singer' thing going on I don't even know how my parents would react to me wanting to be an idol, and Soo Young still being in the hospital was completely unsettling.

But for now I'll just have to deal with my own problems and hope everything else goes into place.

"Shall we go back now? I'm fine, I promise." I smile and drink some of the water and stand up. I couldn't afford to take a break now, not with all the things I need to get done this semester.

"Sure." Daniel smiled and nodded, but mentioned one last time that if I ever needed anyone to talk to he will always be there for me. It was great to know that at least if everything else In my life went bad I could always count on my new friends to cheer me up.

---------------------------

I updated! Yay! Hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'm sorry if things are going slowly right now but I promise things are going to start speeding up into the main plot of the story soon! Stay tuned! :D Thank you for reading this far!