1

Behind These Masks

"Oppa, why do we have to act like nerds? No one knows us, dude," Taehee asked her twin brother. Despite Taehyun being two hours older, she still calls him oppa. You'd be wondering why, when she was younger, she got jealous when her friends had oppa or unnie to call to. She knew she have a twin brother so curious little Taehee asked their omma.

Flashback

"Omma, is Taehyun older or younger than me?" Little Taehee wondered.

"He's older my dear Taehee, why do you ask?" Mrs Hwang said while little Taehee's head who was then lying on her lap.

Little Taehee beamed as her mom said so and got up. "Then that makes him my oppa, right omma?!"

"Neh, wae my little baby? You are that happy cause you are younger?" 

"Neh omma! My friends keep calling their brother or sister, oppa or unnie. I was wondering if I can call Taehyun oppa too." Mrs Hwang chuckled at her princess expression who was then pouting. She was more than happy when she found out she got twins, a boy and a girl. A combo infact. She was so blessed to have them.

"Yes you can dear, but you have to ask him if he agrees since you both are two hours apart."

 

∞ 

 

"Taehyun ah!"

"Eh Taehee, why are you running so hard. Whats wrong?"

"Eh..Taehyun ah.. Erm..do you mind if.. I.. call you oppa instead"

Taehyun eyes widen and his jaw dropped.

"Wae so sudden, Taehee ah?"

"A-ani, it's just that my friends all have oppas and unnies. I...want to call someone oppa too. Though we're twins." Taehee look down while pouting. Taehyun than ruffle his twins hair and chuckled.

"Of course you can. I too want to feel like I have a much younger dongsaeng though you're my twin."

 

 

"Just wear these glasses Taehee ah. We need to blend with the background. I dont want to leave any trace. I dont want anyone to recognise us even if we dont have our masks on. We'll just pretend to be nerds, until the right time comes."

"Pssh, until the right time comes. People will find out eventually, why.are.you.so.paranoid? You pabo," Taehee just had to poke his brother on his arm with every word she said. 

"The right time where we will reveal, not when people find out. You pabo."

"Fine, I cant guarantee if my acting schools are still good..."

"Come on, we've gone through this for a year already and no one noticed. We'll be fine. We have perseverance skills dont we. We learnt how to fight too. If someone provokes you, just clench your fist tight, breathe in deep and breathe out heavy. Then unclench your fist, turn around, walk away but curse all you can in your mind," and they both laugh.

"Way to go Ssang Hwang," they both said in sync and hi 5 each other. Taehyun slung his hand on his twin shoulder while she grab onto his waist and head downstairs for breakfast with their parents.

"Good morning my dear twins. And what is up with those glasses?" Mr Hwang asked. Mrs Hwang turn her attention from the stove to have a glance at her children and smiled to herself

"Well, just trying doing what we've been doing appa. Not getting noticed in school," Taehee said.

"Yeah, getting noticed, in school. Nah-uh" Taehyun added.

"Not my way" the twins said in sync. Both taking a glance at each other and laugh it off. Mr and Mrs Hwang just looked at each other and laugh after a moment. They have been their source of happiness eversince birth, or before? Their personality and character never fail to amuse their parents.

"Not wanting others to recognize you again huh" Their parents knew they love dancing and each time a battle was held or just a random dance meetup, they never fail to turn up with their masks on. In fact, Mr and Mrs Hwang once tailed them secretly and was surprised with the talent their twins had. Eversince then, their parents have been supportive of what they do for they know, they have passion for dancing.

"Of course, cant afford to, only if we reveal ourselves. No one but us the twins."  

"So, no one in school appreciate your dancing skills, my dancing machines?"

Taehyun was hesitant to answer, but Taehee just had to tell their parents. "Well, we didn't dance like how you've always seens us. Like what we said, we dont wanna get notice while there are still..." Taehee nudged Taehyun to complete her sentence. Mr Hwang looks back and forth at the twins, waiting for them to answer.

"Well you see, the kingkas of our school, Infinite, are like the bestest dance group anyone have ever seen. 99.9% synchronization. Guys in school are head over heels over 4minute, the queenkas in school for their y dance steps. If we suddenly just step up with our nerdy glasses, and tell them 'Hey, we are the Ssang Hwang', that's craaaazzyyyy~."

"And... so? It's not like you guys have no confidence. In fact I'm very impressed with your dancing skills. How you chereographed your dance steps, how in sync my twins are. You might just be another Infinite that you mention, but you are Ssang Hwang"

"Well the point is, we will be the Ssang Hwang when the right time comes. That's all," again, they never fail to amuse their parents. A short silence cam after and the whole family ended up laughing throughout breakfast.