My Vitamin

Misconception

The two pairs of co-workers sat awkwardly as they looked through their menus. When Hee Jin had come to Jeju on a business trip with her ex-boyfriend Young Jin, she had no idea Park Seunghyun would show up. To add insult to injury, he had brought Hana with him. The two "couples" tried to make small talk and Hee Jin tried her best to keep smiling at Young Jin. But anytime she turned her head, she could feel his stare piercing through her. It was no use. They could all feel the tension between them. How much longer could she keep this up?

Yoona stood at the edge of the walkway in front of the resort, breathing in the refreshing ocean air and thinking about all of the filming they had gotten done the night before. She watched the leaves of the palm trees calmly sway in the breeze as the waves hit the cold sand. She hadn't slept much, but she was up earlier than everyone else. The sun had barely risen up over the horizon and she was relieved to get a moment to herself. It wasn't everyday that she had this opportunity. The walkway she stood on was atop a small grassy hill. She decided against getting closer, or else she'd have the urge to jump in the water, regardless of the temperature.

As she began to wonder what the girls were doing, she heard a faint scream in the background. She was a bit worried, but she figured she'd stay put unless it was something really serious. It was a man's voice. He sounded like he was in trouble. She stood still, trying to figure out what was going on. The shrieks got louder.

There are hotel staff walking around the hotel. Someone has to have noticed by now.

She felt like the noise was getting closer. She began to make out words.

"AHHH... MOVE!!"

Move?

"GET OUT OF THE WAY!!! I CAN'T STOP THIS THING!!"

"WHAT? AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yoona had turned around and was screaming at the top of her lungs. A man riding some sort of gliding scooter was coming at her, full speed. She didn't have time to think and she was frozen in her tracks. Right before the man crashed into her, he managed to steer away and somehow stop the thing he was riding. However, it stopped so abruptly, that he was thrown off onto the grass.

"OW MY KNEE!!"

Yoona quickly ran over to help the man out when she realized who it was. How could she have mistaken a man wearing a bright, flower-patterned suit in 80 degree weather?

"TOP-SSI!"

"OW OW OW OW OW!!!" TOP was holding on to his knee and yelping in pain.

"Would you stop being a baby about it? It was your fault! What is that thing anyway?"

TOP whimpered. "It's a segway."

"Segway?"

"Yeah I got up extra early after the staff told me I could rent one last night. It looked like so much fun. But they didn't show me how to use it!"

"PABO!! How could you just take it without knowng how to use it!? Now you went and hurt yourself. How can you do such a thing?"

Yoona realized she may have sounded a little too concerned. That's not what she wanted.

"So... what are u doing riding around like a mad man this early in the morning anyway?"

"What are you doing standing here by yourself this early in the morning."

"Watching the sunrise... something any normal person would do! Not that you would know!"

"Normal person? Sounds a little funny coming from you."

"Well... where did you get that anyway?"

"What, you want one?"

"Well..." Yoona hesitated, but in the end her desire for fun won out," yeah, but I'm not going to ride it like I'm drunk."

"HA. I want to see you ride one of these. I will leave you in the dust."

She laughed at that. "Oh, please. What are you, 12?"

"Five."

Yoona shook her head. "I wouldn't be caught dead trying to keep up with a child anyway. I will get my own and go my OWN WAY."

TOP smirked. "That's right. You know you wouldn't stand a chance."

She glared at him. "Nope. You're not getting to me. I'm not going to play your childish games."

Twenty minutes later, the resort was beginning to come back to life. Families who wanted to get to the beach as early as possible were now beginning to gather as they put their blankets, towels and umbrellas down on the sand. A bunch of children were running around giggling and forming a group.

"You guys have to come see this!" yelled out a 10 year old boy to his 4 younger siblings. The group of children ran over to join the crowd of kids that had formed on the walkway near the children's clubhouse.

"Whoa." The boy's 5 year old sister pushed her way through to the front to witness what all the children were cheering about.

There they were. A grown man and woman on segways, ready to race to the edge of the long walkway.

"I think the ahjussi's going to win!" A small child exclaimed.

An older child laughed. "That freak? No way. My money is on the noona."

"HEY!" TOP didn't mind being called a freak, but he was sure he'd win. "I'll be the one laughing when I make it across the finish line, you'll see!"

"OHHH I hope you eat pavement!" Yoona exclaimed and cackled loudly.

They had the children count down for them in unison. "3..2..1... GO!"

And they were off! Both Yoona and TOP leaned forward and their segways propelled forward. The high-pitched screams of young children filled the air as each child cheered for their favorite competitor. Adrenaline flowed through their bodies, both experiencing a sensation they hadn't experienced in such a long time. Pure, unadulterated fun. The wind was flying through their hair and their surroundings were a total blur. The racers were having such a good time that they had almost forgotten they were competing.

"I'M GONNA WIIIIIN!!!" Yoona yelled out.

"OVER MY DEAD BODYYYYYYY!!!!" TOP replied.

TOP set his segway to his maximum speed. Yoona screamed. A knowing smile spread across TOP's face and he was first to cross the finish line. Although it took awhile to stop the segway going at high speed, TOP finally returned and a crowd of children surrounded him, cheering and congratulating him on the win. Yoona faced her segway the opposite way so she wouldn't have to watch.

"Oh... what was that Yoona?" TOP was enjoying every second of his victory. "Did you say you were gonna win?"

"SHUT IT!"

TOP laughed heartily and rode his segway over to hers. "I won. So now I want my prize."

"Prize? We didn't say there would be prizes."

TOP smiled. "Follow me."

Yoona was confused, but she followed him anyway. The two returned their segways and she continued to walk with him towards the docks on the opposite end of the resort.

"Umm.. where are we going?"

TOP simply put a finger up to his lips.

"OOOOH jjinja!!!" She acted cold on the outside, but on the inside she was excited to find out what the surprise was.

"Jan jan!" TOP exclaimed after they had stopped in front of a medium-sized motor boat.

"Sir, are you ready to ride?" the man in front of the boat asked.

"WE are ready to ride!" TOP was very proud of himself at that moment. He glanced over at Yoona to see what her reaction was. Poker face. Without complaining, she got into the boat. Until the man started walking away.

"Ahjussi!! Where are you going?"

"To have a few drinks! Don't worry, I'll be back here by the time you guys are finished. ENJOY!" The main continued to walk, eager to escape his post. And nothing Yoona could've said would've changed his mind.

"AHJUSSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Yoona could not believe she was alone in a boat with a "pabo".

"HEY! SHHHH. You don't think I can drive this thing or what?"

He started the motor and they were off.

"OMG OMG OMG we're gonna die!! You can barely ride a segway and now you're taking me in a boat?!"

"I resent that as the winner of the segway race."

The two bickered for awhile longer until Yoona finally relaxed. It really wasn't so bad. He seemed to know what he was doing and she thoroughly enjoyed coming along for the ride. She laid on the cushions at the back of the boat and let the sun hit her skin, for once not worrying about getting tan. She didn't care what anyone said. This was bliss.

"So... you had this boat ride planned?" Yoona was curious.

He looked back at her and laughed. "Yeah but not with you."

"Then with who??"

"By myself."

The two stayed silent as TOP rode out further and further. He decided to stop the boat and get some time in the sun himself.

"Move it, little girl."

Yoona put her legs down and he sat next to her.

TOP slowly looked her up and down. "Yoona-ssi. Your outfit."

Yoona began to feel uncomfortable and cleared .

"Jill Stuart," she said quickly, remembering the name on the tag of her dress. It was a long flowy summer dress with a green, floral pattern.

TOP began to chuckle as he clapped his hands.

"Wow. Did your stylist give you the name this time?"

"What?"

Yoona didn't understand until her mind suddenly flashed back to the drama crew outing at the bbq restaurant. When Minho had asked what she was wearing. She was annoyed.

"I know fashion!"

TOP ignored. "Whoever put this outfit together did a good job. Except for that tacky necklace you have on. Kind of cheapens it."

Yoona glanced down at her silver heart-shaped necklace. The one Minho had given her.

"Hey! This was a gift!" She blurted out. She immediately wanted to take it back.

"From who? You're getting all sensitive over it, so it must be someone important."

"Well... it's from my fans!"

"Ah..."

She sighed. "You caught me. I don't know anything about fashion. I could care less about it as long as I have clothes to cover my body. But I happen to work in an industry where looks are everything. So even if someone else has to put together all my outfits, I will do whatever it takes." She began to turn a bit pink. She had never admitted this to anyone outside of her company.

"But... you're known for your impeccable fashion sense..."

"Yeah well it's not mine."

"It would be interesting to see the Nation's Ideal Type's actual fashion sense."

"Sweatpants and a t-shirt. And that's all I need!"

TOP couldn't help but smile. He never expected it from someone like her. Someone that seemed so glamorous on-screen. On-screen. THE DRAMA! TOP quickly regained his senses when he realized what time it was. He had enjoyed the time he had with Yoona... not bickering for once. But it was time to get back to reality.

"We better leave now so we can make it back in time to film."

Yoona quickly nodded as TOP stood up and walked over to the driver's seat. He turned the key and... the boat would not start.

"What's wrong?" Yoona was concerned.

"It's not starting."

"WHAT?!"

"It's not my fault, ok? I have no idea what's wrong with this thing."

Yoona began to whimper. "Oh my god. What if we're stuck out here all day?? OH no, I can't. My drama!!"

"Will you just CALM DOWN FOR ONCE?!"

After about 30 minutes of trying to figure out the problem, TOP felt defeated. After yelling and berating him the entire 30 minutes, Yoona also felt defeated.

"Look... it's ok," she said, trying to console him," these things happen. We'll get out of here somehow."

TOP's eyes widened. "After hours of yelling at me at the top of your lungs, now you're being understanding?"

"It hasn't been hours!!"

"Yeah well it felt like it."

"I'm sorry. I should have been more helpful. Let's stay calm and hope that someone will come out to search for us." Yes, she had panicked. Yes, she had been angry at him. But the thing about Yoona is that she knew when to calm down and act rationally.

"I wonder what the girls are doing right now," she chuckled to herself. "I can't wait to get back to the dorm and tell them."

He glanced at her curiously. "Do you ever stop talking about them? How about your family?"

Her smile faded and her expression became blank. "They are my family."

He had nothing to say to that. He was close to s and they had become as close as ever after all of their recent controversies, but he had to admit it wasn't to the point that he wondered what they were doing at every time of the day. His real family wasn't perfect. But he did wonder what they might be up to at this very moment.

"I don't ever really go home," she said quietly. He looked up at her without reply, waiting for her to continue.

She brought her legs up to her chest and put her chin down on her knees as she looked out towards the water.

"There's nothing to go home to. A lot of fighting. A lot of anger. A lot of stress. But I strive to make them proud. I work as hard as I can so they will always be taken care of." She turned her head towards him. "Does that still count?"

He stared back into her somber eyes and kept his silence. All she needed was someone to hear her out. Someone that wouldn't feel burdened. He felt like he could be that someone at this moment.

She continued. "My members are always there for me. There are 8 of them. 8 girls I love with all my heart and soul. They know me inside and out. And as much as I love them... I could never trouble them with my problems. I am their vitamin. Him Yoona. I try as hard as I can not to break down."

She sat back in her proper position. She slowly bowed her head. "Mianheyo."

He shook his head. "Don't be sorry."

The silence consumed them for a few minutes until it was TOP's turn to speak.

"I admire this love you have for your members." He turned his body towards hers. "I admit... I'm not thinking about the members. I'm thinking... about how much my mother would love to be on this boat. She really loves the water." He smiled at the thought of his mother.

"Is that why you love the water, too?"

He nodded. "I don't swim very often. But I love to be around it. I just wish she could be here, too."

"And your father?" She immediately looked down when she said it. She felt she was being too intrusive.

"I... don't know him. It's silly to admit, right? But my only memories of the man are as a 3 year old. I don't really care about him. I'm just happy he hasn't tried contacting me since I've debuted."

Without thinking, she placed her hand on his arm.

"The man missed out. You turned out to be such a wonderful person."

He couldn't believe what he was hearing. They both looked eachother in the eyes.

"Anniyo.."

"Yes, Seunghyun. You're such a wonderful, caring and talented person. So many great qualities. I feel sorry for that man."

TOP began to feel tense. Not only had she just called him by his first name, but she was complimenting him. It was different from hearing it from his fans, or from the media. These words were making him feel extremely uncomfortable. Didn't she know that he was a cheater? A coward? An untalented person? He snatched his arm and looked away before she noticed the drops beginning to gather in his eyes.

"So, do you still think anyone will come out and save us?" he said, desperate to change the subject.

"I'm sure of it."

She kneeled onto the cushion and leaned forward to look at the motor.

"What are you doing?"

"Fishies!!!" She giggled as she pointed into the water. "Look at these enormous fish!"

Pabo. What is she thinking of at a time like this? He tried to hide his laughter.

"Oh!"

"What?"

He listened to her struggle.

"What is it?"

"Hold.... on...." Yoona began to tug and tug until she had removed something lodged in between the motor. She held up a stone.

"Look!"

She ran over to the control panel and tried to turn the boat on. It started.

"Do you know what could have happened to your hand if I still had one of the controls powered on!" TOP was steaming.

"Why are you mad at me? We're going to get out of here!"

"You could have sliced your hand off! Why didn't you tell me instead of trying to take care of it yourself?" He went over to the controls and powered the boat off.

"But it's fine! Look!" She held up her hand. Suddenly he grabbed it. Her body stiffened and she wouldn't move. He pulled her close.

"TOP-ssi..."

"It's Seunghyun."

"Seunghyun..."

"Let's stay here a little while longer, yeah? Just a few minutes. Hold me."

They stood together in the middle of the boat and her body finally responded as she rested her hands on his back. They felt happy. Happier than either of them had felt in a long time.