Prologue

Misconception

T.O.P.

Choi Seunghyun took a big bite out of his American-style sandwich. He savored the delicious flavors that were usually off limits when his trainer was around. After his third bite, he had an epiphany. He quickly grabbed the pen perched upon his ear and a napkin lying around on the table. All the sights and sounds of his recent trip to New York took over his senses, and the sandwich inspired him to scribble rap lyrics furiously onto the napkin. He placed his hand on his head, still deep in thought, when he heard the scrambling of feet and the noises coming from the television screen that had just been . His thought process was temporarily interrupted.

“Ignore.” He thought to himself. He didn’t care that he was in the cafeteria. His writer’s block had lasted for almost a week, which was too long for someone like him. Noone was going to get in the way.

“Sowoneul marabhwa…” SNSD’s latest single blared from the television only a few feet away from him. Without looking up, he could only smile and reminisce on his days of girl group obsessions. He decided to ignore what were surely a group of young, male trainees and continued to write.

“Damn… nice legs,” commented a voice too familiar to be that of a trainee.

T.O.P. immediately looked up to find his producers, Teddy and Kush, along with his band mate, Seungri, glued to the television screen.

“YAH! Can’t you see I’m trying to get some work done over here?”

All 3 men continued to be engrossed by the images of young girls in heels and hot pants.

“It’s too bad that Yoona couldn’t perform today,” Kush commented.

TOP could only smirk. “There’s like 20 of them. What’s the difference if one is missing?”

But TOP was practically invisible, let alone audible, to these 3 fanboys. Frustrated with their maturity level, he got up and started walking towards the studio.

“He doesn’t know how to appreciate fine programming.” Seungri said, not moving a muscle.

Yoona


The room was filled with the flashing lights of photographers and the leads of the highly anticipated drama “North Star,” took their seats, ready for the press conference to begin. All 4 leads were big names, but the star that shone brightest on that day was Im Yoona of SNSD. She wore an elegant, white designer dress and her hair was styled perfectly. Questions were asked to all members of the cast, but the press was dying to get dibs on the “Nation’s Ideal Type.”

“I can’t believe she’s as beautiful as they say. Even more so in person,” a photographer whispered to the woman seated on his left.

“She’s very elegant and well-spoken. I’m a woman and I feel like I’m falling for her,” the reporter whispered back.

Yoona called on someone in the front.

“Yoona, what can you tell us about your character, Choi Hee Jin?”

A slight smile spread across her beautiful face and she slowly began to speak. The room fell silent.

“Hee Jin embodies the essence of the Korean woman. She is driven by the love of her lost family and her new-found romance. Regardless of what she lacks in material assets, her heart will never tell a lie. Thank you for asking.” Yoona gave a slight bow towards the reporter.

The crowd began to clap respectfully and oohs and ahhs could be heard throughout the room.

“Our nation’s ideal type has spoken,” the man in the front row proclaimed.

Yoona’s face held a bit of a solemn expression as she seemed to stare longingly into space.

“Do you think she’s picturing a lost love of hers or something?” the woman asked the man to her right.

Im Yoona’s head began to feel dizzy and her eyes seemed to gloss over.

“Why did I ignore maknae and skip my breakfast this morning?”

She began to picture a big, juicy cheeseburger. watered as she imagined how a bite would taste right about now. She looked straight ahead and sighed a bit.

“I can’t wait to get back home and eat.”