008.

Is It Too Late?

His phone rang. Looking at the number, his smile widened. He really missed her.

 

"Hello? Omma?"

 

"Jongin-ah, how are you? We've missed you so much." he could hear his mother's excited voice.

 

"Really? I thought you were happy for me being gone." he teased his mother.

 

"Aigoo, this boy, you haven't even changed one bit, have you?"

 

Jongin laughed. He loves teasing his mother. "So, why are you suddenly calling? Did something happen?"

 

"Nothing. I just wanted to tell you that we're having a family gathering tonight and I want you to come. Besides, your sister is leaving soon. Her semester break is over." Mrs Kim explained.

 

"Oh, really? I thought noona still has three weeks more. Her semester won't start until next month right?"

 

"She needs to get back two weeks earlier, as she's the president of the student affais. They need to prepare a lot for the new comers."

 

"Alright, alright. I'll drop by later." a smile crept on his face. He really missed his family. It has been about a month since the last time he visited them.

 

"Make sure you're on time. You need to be here before 8:00pm." his mother warned.

 

He chuckled. "Yes, omma. Don't worry, I'll be there. See you later, bye."

 

Just then, he dialled a number.

 

"Hello?" the angelic voice answered.

 

"Soojung-ah, where are you?" he couldn't help but worry about her. He hoped that what he saw just now was a mistake.

 

 

Soojung's POV:

 

"Soojung-ah, where are you?" Jongin sounded like he was really worried about me. I can't just tell him I'm in a car with someone I barely know, he'll kill me for sure!

 

"Oh, I'm with an old friend. They dropped by at the campus. Where are you?" I'm sorry Jongin, I have to do this. I don't want to be flared by you.

 

"Still here. Who's your friend? Is it a guy or a girl?"

 

"I-it's a girl." Jeez, why am I lying to him?

 

"Oh..." he paused for a while. "Okay. Take care then. Please take care of yourself. Just give me a call if anything happens." Jongin sounded frustrated.

 

"Yeah, alright. See you tomorrow." I said in guilt as I hung up first.

 

"Why are you so silent? Are you that uncomfortable with me?" I turned to the voice.

 

"Nothing, it's just a bit awkward." I honestly said.

 

"Don't be, I'm an easy going person." Minhyuk assured.

 

 

Jongin's POV:

 

She lied to me. Why did she do that? Since when did she learn how to start lying? Which girl would open a door for another girl? It's clearly a guy. Out of all guys, why must it be him? Is he really ruining my life? Didn't he have enough of what he did last time?

 

How do they know each other? How long have they known each other? Does Soojung like him? Is that why she didn't see me more than her best friend? Damn it!

 

My chest hurts so much, I can barely breathe. Why is it so painful to see them together?

 

 

Author's POV:

 

Minhyuk stopped his car. He decided to have lunch with Soojung ina  restaurant across the street. While crossing the road, Soojung was a little afraid. She usually crosses the road with Jongin. Her best friend knew she wasn't good in this matter so he was the one who held her hands, leading her to the other side. She was unwilling to say these things to Minhyuk, afraid he would laugh at her.

 

When the road was a litle bit clear, she saw Minhyuk crossing first. She followed him but she didn't realize a car was coming near her. The car almost hit her when she suddenly felt someone grabbing her hands and pulling her. The reflex was so strong, she hugged the person who pulled her, assuming it was Jongin.

 

"Yah! You should be careful next time! You almost gave me a heart attack!" Minhyuk said in worry and anger.

 

Aware of the voice, Soojung quickly released her hands. "I'm sorry." that's all she could manage to say.

 

 

- - -

 

 

During lunch, both of them didn't say a word. Soojung was thinking about thanking him, but she was out of words.

 

"I'm so sorry for yelling at you. I didn't mean to do that." Minhyuk apologized.

 

"No, it was really my fault. I'm sorry." she said with her head down. "And... Thank you for saving me."

 

"It has been my responsibility. I don't know what I would do if I lost you just now. I... I would like to ask you something, if it's okay with you."

 

Soojung raised her head. She waited for Minhyuk to continue.

 

"I... liked you from the first day I saw you. The incident where I bumped into you keeps on repeating in my mind. Since then, I can't get you off my mind. I would like to get to know you better. Who knows, when we know each other better, we could start a serious relationship? Is it possible?"

 

Soojung felt herself blushing. 'Finally... someone confessed to me. He said he likes me!' Her smile widened hearing the confession.

 

"I don't think it would be a problem." she said shyly. She could feel sudden butterflies in her stomach. This is such a new experience for her.

 

Minhyuk smiled hearing Soojung's response. "Great... Thank you so much. First of all, let's drop all formalities." he suggested with a smile which never faded from his face.

 

Soojung nodded, agreeing to him. 'He's not bad at all. I have a feeling that he's a nice guy.'

 

After lunch, they went to the zoo, appreciating the nature. Then later, they went for an evening walk at the park. The sunset view was so calming.

 

Soojung grinned. So this is how people usually do on their date. She never went to a date before. She felt giddy all day long, since the moment Minhyuk confessed he liked her. She finally felt the feeling of being wanted, admired. Minhyuk is quiet caring actually.

 

Later that evening, Minhyuk sent her back home. He walked Soojung to the front door.

 

"Thank you so much for today, I really appreciate it."

 

"My pleasure. Thanks for accompanying me." he said with that side smile on his face.

 

Soojung was about to get inside when Minhyuk suddenly pulled her wrist, turned her around. Soojung's eyes widened. Minhyuk moved his face sloer to her. He planted a kiss on her cheek then he gave her his sweetest smile. Sooung felt her face blush.

 

"See you again, soon. I'll call you later." he said.

 

Soojung nodded. She was too speechless about the incident. She went Minhyuk off with a smile and waved as his car elapsed.