012.

Is It Too Late?

Author's POV:

 

After having a heart wrenching conversation with poor little Soojung, Jongin tried to sleep, but he couldn't. He's been turning his body side to side to find his comfortable position. No matter how exhausted his body is, his eyes won't close. This is the first time he's having trouble sleeping.

 

Is he because he thought about Soojung too much? Yes, he missed her so much. He'd wish things didn't change between them both. But he can see Minhyuk changed after starting a relationship with Soojung. Well, he really hope that his cousin really did change.

 

Jongin stood up. he got tired of switching his body alternately. He pulled his shirt from the wardrobe and put on a hoodie and grabbed his car keys. He needed to drink something to help himself sleep. He woke up Luhan and asked him to accompan him.

 

He drove his car slowly, looking for shops available at this time. But unfortunately no matter where they went, there weren't any single shops open. They decided to go to a bar nearby. It's a bar they used to go with together. They'll have a few shots there then it'll be enough for him to fall asleep.

 

Entering the bar, they realized the bar was a bit crowded then before. 'Tsk. It's not even weekend, don't these people have work tomorrow?' Jongin thought.

 

They went to the bartender, asking for their drinks. Just then, two girls approached them.

 

"Hey, handsome. Lonely tonight?" said the brunette girl to Luhan.

 

Jongin examined their appearance. They're so simply dressed, yet him and Luhan are able to attract girls. He didn't mind the girls, he only kept on drinking. Then, the other girl landed her hand on his thigh. It made him a bit uncomfortable.

 

He turned to his rigt, to see the girl's face. But a group of people sitting behind the girl caught his attention. His eyes then widened. His eyes caught someone familiar sitting on a cough at the corner of the bar. The person was surrounded with more than three girls, holding drinks in their hands. He then saw the person kissing one of the girls and his hands trailing along her body.

 

He's still well aware of things happening around him, so he isn't hallucinating. The alcohol hasn't tipsified him yet.

 

'Minhyuk?' he thought. He recognized his cousin's face very well. He gripped his knuckles. 'He'll never change. A player will always be a player. I sacrificed my feelings for Soojung just to see her happy, but this is what he does in return? Flirting around with those s?!' Anger revolved in Jongin. He felt as if he'll explode anytime soon. Luhan realized his friend's mood change.

 

He dashed to the group of people and dragged Minhyuk out of the bar. He didn't car if Minhyuk was taller, and probably bigger than him. Minhyuk who was completely immersed with the alcohol was unable to defend himself. He followed the man's steps. Luhan was beside Jongin the whole time, tryng to calm his friend.

 

Jongin brought him to the back of the bar. He pushed Minhyuk roughly against the wall, causing him to wail a little. Without waiting any longer, Jongin punched the drunk man with all his heart, non-stop. He felt like he sacrified his love for nothing. He kept on beating Minhyuk, not caring about his bleeding knuckles.

 

"You ungrateful dog! Worthless bastard! What the hell do you think you're doing? How long have you been flirting with girls? Why are you doing this to Soojung?! Why?!" he shouted angrily.

 

"Yah, she's just a toy you know... She's boring. She was no experience at all... I hate those kind of girls!" Minhyuk tried to encounter Jongin, aiming his fist but Jongin managed to evade. He lost his balance and went down to the floor.

 

Jongin kicked his stomach a few times. He was in rampage too much. He pulled Minhyuk's collar. His bleeding face was just a few inches from Jongin's.

 

"Leave Soojung alone!" he once again pushed him to the wall, leaving him sliding down the wall.

 

"Yah, Jongin-ah. Stop it already. You don't want to be jailed for killing, do you?"

 

Minhyuk felt his face swelling. He tried to identify who hit him, but he couldn't. The alcohol he consumed was too strong.

 

 

- - -

 

 

Jongin went inside his car. He placed his hands on his steering wheel. That's when he realized his knuckles were bleeding. Only then, he felt the pain. He drove his car back to his house. Hos thoughts were filled with Soojung along the way. How would Soojung react if she knew the truth about Minhyuk? Could she face this situation? Could she bear the pain?

 

"Let's fix your hand when we arrive home, okay. It'll get infected if you don't." Luhan said worriedly. He's never seen Jongin throwing his rampage.

 

The next morning, Jongin reached for Soojung around campus. He spotted her in their campus lawn.

 

"Hey." he said with a smile on his face.

 

Soojung turned to him. Immediately her face brightened. She really missed her best friend.

 

"Jongin-ah! I haven't seen you for so long!" she said in her delighted tone. Her smile suddenly faded when she saw Jongin's bandaged hand. "Yah, what happened to you? Did you get yourself into a fight?"

 

Jongin smiled. "No, it's just a minor injury." he said, calming her. Soojung believed his words and nodded slowly.

 

Soojung's face filled with smiles again. "Jongin-ah, I wanna show you something. Well, actually I was about to introduce you to him, but he isn't here. He went to Japan for a meeting." she said naively.

 

'Japan? A few days? Huh. That bastard is lying again. It's too obvious he doesn't want her to see him in such state.' Jongin thought.

 

Soojung showed him her phone's wallpaper. It's Minhyuk and her. "Meet my boyfriend, Minhyuk. Minhyuk-ie, this is Jongin." she said, introducing them as if they were confrontating each other.

 

Jongin let out a sigh. He smiled forcefully. "Soojung-ah... T-there's something I need to tell you." he swallowed his saliva. He felt like there's something stuck in his throat.

 

Soojung raised both her eyebrows, waiting for his further words. "What's wrong?"

 

Again, a deep sigh escaped his mouth.

 

"What's wrong, Jongin-ah? Has something bad happened?" Soojung had an uneasy feeling.

 

"Soojung-ah... It's hard for me to say this, but believe me, I never want to see you hurt. You know I love you, right?" he said as hie ees were attached to Soojung's.

 

She nodded. She suddenly felt anxious. 'What is he trying to say?'

 

Jongin really couldn't say it out. He took a deep breath, and exhaled slowly. "Your boyfriend is only toying you, Soojung. He never loved you." he said unwillingly.

 

Soojung felt like her heart was stabbed by a thousand sharp knives. "W-what are you t-trying to say?" she stuttered. She couldn't interpret the information she just received.

 

Jongin sighed. He knew Soojung would be like this. He felt like he shouldn't have told her about it. "Soojung-ah..." he held her hands, calming her.

 

"What did you say about Minhyuk?" Soojung's right hand held against her chest, trying to endure the extreme pain she was feeling right now. She felt stuffy.

 

"He's cheating on you..." Jongin felt himself suffocating. Watching Soojung in her condition right now really made him weak.

 

Soojung stood up. "No! He isn't toying me! He loves me! Jongin, why are you saying things like this? If you really hate him, just say so! You don't have to make up stories like this! You don't even know him, yet you're bad mouthing him!" Soojung tried to stand on her voice. Her intonation went louder.

 

Jongin stood up to correspond with her. "It's because I know him too much, that's why I'm saying this to you. I've known him much longer than you ever have, so don't you dare say I don't know anything about him!" Jongin replied using the same tone.

 

Soojung's reflex went too much. Before she realized it, her hands landed on Jongin's face. She came to her senses when she self her calm numbbing. Soojung brought her hand to , realizing her overboard action.

 

Jongin was too shocked with Soojung's reaction. He held his cheek, abiding the pain. He can't believe his best friend would do such a thing to him.

 

"If you can remember, he's the cousin that I've always been taling about. Your Minhyuk is my cousin. The complete player." he said turning his back to Soojung.

 

"But he has changed..." Soojung lowered her voice, still backing Minhyuk up.

 

"NO! He has never changed. It's up to you, Soojung. Thank you for the pain you've given me. From now own, let's mind our own business. I won't interfere with your affairs again. Farewell, my friend." Jongin said as his vision became blurry. He immediately left Soojung, afraid his tears would burst out anytime.

 

Soojung was left dumbfounded. 'What have I done? It this really happening? Did I make the right decision?'