Paragraphs

Fanfic Peeves

{Submitted by JChannie}

 

Sometimes when I read a chapter if a fanfic, the paragraph is all bunched together and it makes it all difficult to read.

For example:
 

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock. I made my way to my bathroom. When I was done, I made my way to kitchen to see my mom cooking breakfast. "Eunhae-ah, I made breakfast. Would you like to eat?" "Of course umma!" "Okay then, go sit at the dining table." "Neh umma." I sat down at the table and started to dig in. "Bwoh?! I'm gonna be late! Aish!" "Go and get your things sweetie!" "Neh!" I quickly scrambled to my room to get my things. "Have a nice day Eunhae-ah!" "You too umma!" I quickly walked out of my house and made my way to then bus stop.
 

 

It's completely difficult to even begin reading this paragraph.

What is most bothering is that the speech is being clustered up as well. You get mixed up as to who is speaking and when they have stopped speaking.

 

This is a little to do with grammar because everytime someone speaks and you put in a speech mark, it NEEDS to go on a seperate line.

 

Maybe, two phrases maximum spoken can be seen on the same line.

 

The following example is a correct version of the latter example:

 

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock. I made my way to my bathroom. When I was done, I made my way to kitchen to see my mom cooking breakfast.

"Eunhae-ah, I made breakfast. Would you like to eat?" She said.

 "Of course umma!" I replied.

"Okay then, go sit at the dining table." My mom instructed.

"Neh umma." I sat down at the table and started to dig in.

I realised the time and blurted out, "Bwoh?! I'm gonna be late! Aish!"

"Go and get your things sweetie!" My mother said. 

"Neh!" I quickly scrambled to my room to get my things.

"Have a nice day Eunhae-ah!" She called out.

"You too umma!" I quickly walked out of my house and made my way to then bus stop.

 

 

^That is so much easier to read, and this way, you can add extra detail that was missing from the first example like 'said' and small actions leading to that speech.

 

 

 

 

-------

Thank you for submitting JChannie. I hope there will be many more to come from everyone~