People.

What About Me?

Jieun watched her room-mate dress with envy. Naomi was wearing a black mini-skirt with red stiletto’s. She had long brown hair that fell down to her waist and which she was busy styling to perfection. Jieun looked down at her own clothes. She was wearing navy blue pumps,loose jeans and a long,slightly baggy grey shirt.

They were going to a party. A party which was going to be full of hot guys,lovey dovey couples and scantily clad girls. Jieun sighed inwardly. All those hot guys were probably just going to flirt with Naomi and she was just going to be taking up space. A lot of space. No,she wasn’t obese…but she was definitely a couple of pounds over-weight for a 20 year old. She had tried to lose weight several times and she had reduced a good deal but still. She was fat.

“The night’s gonna be fun eh?” Naomi swooned as she applied mascara.

Jieun hummed. She had let her hair down and applied the usual amount of makeup that she wore to parties in an effort to look good. But no matter what,guys still didn’t see it. Didn’t see the effort behind the dolled-up face,the pain of rejection behind the soft smile. All they saw was Naomi and her fat friend.

“Im so gonna hook up with someone tonight…I need to get over Taec..”Naomi pouted. Taec…the guy she had been dating. y as hell with chocolate abs and a friendly grin. But Taec had moved to America and Naomi was pissed as hell.

“You’ll find someone..you always do.” Jieun supplied. She knew Naomi had really cared for Taec and the breakup had been difficult. But seriously,Jiuen thought bitterly,she didn’t see the point of getting hurt when a girl like Naomi could just as easily get another guy with one shake of her hips. It had been 4 years since Jieun had a boyfriend. Four long years since someone  told her she was beautiful,since she felt special.  Her ex had cheated on her with an old school friend and left. These days he was gallivanting around with quite a number of girls. And Jieun was alone. If she ever ran into him,she always put up a bright smile and pretended to be texting. Faking a loud laugh as if “janalheru924ksf” was a compliment from an imaginary super hot boyfriend.

“And you’ll find someone too Jieun …”Naomi kissed her cheek. “And if you don’t…I’ll become lesbian and we’ll date eachother!”

Jieun laughed. Naomi was her closest friend and was well aware of all her insecurities. She loved her to bits even if at times she got extremely jealous of her friend’s good fortune in guys. They got ready to leave and Jieun glanced herself in the mirror. She didn’t look too bad. Maybe tonight would be the night?

*

The club was booming and dimly lit with colorful lights flashing around and bodies rubbing against eachother on the dancefloor. Naomi and Jieun made their way to the bar.

“See anyone you like?” Naomi called out over the loud bass of “Boom Boom Pow.”

Well duh! He was right there! Behind the DJ podium. Wearing shades,hair perfect and revving up the crowd with a smug smile. Naomi followed her gaze and moaned.

“He’s so y!”

Jieun turned to her,alarmed. Could Naomi have eyes on the man too?

“For you baby…”Naomi pinched her cheek. “Hands off rule remember?”

Jieun smiled. The Hands Off rule was simple. If one of them spotted a cute guy,the other wouldn’t even look in his direction and if the guy came to talk to the other one,she’d proclaim herself as lesbian and brush him off. Ofcourse,the rule didn’t really work with Jieun because the guy would never come to speak to her,all eyes were always on Naomi.

“Hey there…are you going to dance or just stand there and look alluring?” A deep voice came from behind them. Their eyes widened. If they thought the guy on stage was y…this man was a God! He had idol-looks. Thick dark hair,twinkling mis-matched eyes and a chiseled jaw. Drooping lips and a long nose.  His muscles were painfully obvious through the white t-shirt. He was frickin tall.

“Shim Changmin…” Jieun squeaked and covered .

“Hey cutie…”Changmin winked at her and Jieun felt herself melt into a puddle of goo. Heart pounding…could he…Shim ing Changmin…be talking to her? “Mind if I steal your friend for a bit?”

Ofcourse not. ‘Umm..not atall..have her back before the club closes.”

“I have to return her?” Changmin asked,eyes full of amusement as Naomi visibly blushed.

“Or not..” Jieun laughed,nudging her friend.

“Will you be okay?” Naomi asked in a low voice.

“Duh! Go! Have fun!” Jieun egged her on. Naomi sent her a grateful look before taking Changmin’s hand and going off to the dancefloor. She returned to the bar and bought herself a drink. She was rather used to this. Sitting alone and watching others have a good time. She watched Changmin buy Naomi a drink at the other end of the bar. He whispered something in her ear that made her giggle. Jieun blinked away the stupid tears that made their way into her eyes. She was a girl too. She wanted to be cherished aswell. Just because she was a fatty…no guy looked at her. But…she was a good person. Why didn’t guys ever look at that? She was intelligent,talented and not entirely bad-looking. Sure,she had issues dressing up in short skirts and tight tops and apparently guys liked that.

Jieun looked around for the guy she had seen and watched her dance with 3 girls at the same time. Wow..a player huh? Awesome. She watched him move. Never had she seen a man move with such grace and poise. She found herself creating a scenario in her head in which wasn’t Little Miss Fatty and was actually on the dancefloor with home. Those long fingers holding her hands,those sinful hips rocking against hers. Fast forward to sweet picnics and home-made lunches,long drives and shopping spree’s. A big wedding with a four tiered cake. A nice studio apartment,three kids. A happily ever after.

Jieun blinked. Wait, did he catch her looking at him? He did. ! Jieun immediately looked away,taking out her phone and pretending to call someone. Ugh! He must think of her as some kind of freak! She glanced back and to her utter dismay,found him making out fiercely with a blond,hands under her clothes,bodies pressed together. Perfect. Give me the worst reality check why dontcha?

“Jieun …”Naomi’s breathless voice distracted her.

“Whats wrong?” She turned and came face to face with her friend. Changmin right behind her.

“Umm…Im..going over to Changmin’s place.” Naomi bit her lip guiltily.

Jieun rolled her eyes. “Shim Changmin…don’t get her pregnant. Or I will hunt you down and kill you.”

“Cant make any promises Jieun -chan…”Changmin smirked.

“Take her..but on two conditions.”

“And those are?” Changmin leaned into her personal space. All y and smelling of expensive colonge.

“I want a nice autograph from Yunho and one of your hoodies.”

Changmin laughed. “Any favourites?”

“The grey one..with the stripes?”

“Ah..okay..promise.”

“Have fun!” Jieun jumped off the stool and got ready to grab a cab and go home.

*

“Yah! Wakeup!” Jieun was rudely shaken awake by Naomi.

“Why are you back? Jieun groaned.

“Last night with Changmin was so amazing..” Naomi giggled as she sat on the edge of Jieun’s bed.

“You don’t say?” Jieun replied,half asleep.

“He’s so amazing Jieun! I..I think I fell for him.”

“You did what?” Jieun sat up,hair an epic mess. Bllinking to adjust to the bright light.

“He’s really nice! And it wasn’t a one-nighter. He asked me out for lunch today and he wants you to come too.”

“I’d rather not..”

“He insisted. Said if you protested,he would come and drag you out himself.” Naomi shrugged.

“He doesn’t even know me.”

“He knew you’d say that and said he didn’t give a rat’s .” Naomi laughed. “Get ready pabo!”

Two hours later, Jieun was fuming as she sat across from Changmin and next to Naomi at an icecream parlour belonging to Hok Su Chun.

“You dragged me out for this?” Jieun arched an eyebrow.

“Actually…there’s someone I want you to meet.” Changmin grinned cheekily.

“Ugh! Naomi! Is this a blind date!? Ive told you I hate them.”

‘Oh calm your Jieun.”Changmin drawled. “You’ll like him.”

“He can himself.” Jieun said heatedly.

“Ah..there he is! Hyung~” Changmin called out to a man who had entered the restaurant.

Jieun’s eyes widened as Jung Yunho smiled and made his way towards them. He sat next to Changmin and nodded at the two girls.

“Hyung..this is Naomi…and this is her friend Jieun.” Changmin introduced.

“Hello.” Naomi smiled and Jieun bowed slightly.

This wasn’t happening! Changmin…had decided to set her up with Jung Yunho? Like..in what world was that even possible!?

“Nice to meet you..”Yunho glanced at her before turning his attention to Naomi. Jieun rolled her eyes. Predictable.

“Naomi…lets get some ice cream?” Changmin offered and the two slid out. Jieun knew the drill,leave them alone to talk. Maybe they’ll hit if off.

“So.. Jieun -ssi..what do you do?’ Yunho asked, a charming smile on his face.

“Im studying Business Administration at SNU. Naomi is doing some course in foreign affairs from Hangyuk.” Jieun stated. She knew he wasn’t interested. Maybe even disappointed. He probably expected some super y girl and here she was. A nothing. Someone he wouldn’t have even glanced at.

“Oh…SNU? You must be very smart..”

Like that matters. They were joined by Naomi and Changmin and the conversation began. Many times Jieun opened to say something but then didn’t. Yunho had his attention pinned onto Naomi. Laughing at all her jokes,teasing her with Changmin. And just a whole lot into her than Jieun.

“Jieun? Arent you gonna get some ice cream? Yunho oppa hasn’t gotten his either.” Naomi said,looking from her friend to Yunho.

“No..Im fine.” Jieun said meekily. She had had her eyes on a chocolate sundae when they had arrived but the last thing she wanted was Yunho to see her pigging out.

“I’ll go get some. Are you sure you don’t want any Jieun -ssi?” Yunho asked,getting to his feet. ‘Maybe a drink?”

“No really Yunho-ssi..Im fine.” Jieun managed a crooked smile before looking away.

“Naomi…would you like a drink?” Yunho asked her friend. Jieun bit her lip as his tone got a whole lot warmer when addressing her friend. He didn’t even add a ‘ssi’ at the end.

“Ah no thanks. Changminnie here owes me a vodka. Im saving up for that.”

Yunho smiled before going to the counter.

“You don’t like him?” Naomi whispered in Jieun’s ear. Disappointment thick in her voice.

“Its not about me not liking him. Its about him not even giving a about me!” Jieun snapped back.

“He’s talking to you..”

“Really Naomi? That’s all you see?” Jieun muttered through gritted teeth. Changmin was too engrossed in his ice-cream to eavesdrop.

“I think he’s making an effort…”Naomi began.

“Im leaving Naomi..”

“Why?’

“Because I hate feeling like this..”

“Feeling what?” Naomi said,half-laughing.

“Forget it. Bye.” Jieun grabbed her bag and left the parlor.

Stupid Naomi! She would never understand how it feels to be rejected. She had been crushing on Yunho since forever. And now that she thought about it…it had been Yunho at the party last night! STUPID STUPID STUPID! Why hadnt she seen that? He probably recognized her and thought she was a creep. Amazing! Jieun blinked back tears. She wished she didn’t exist. She stood on the curb,waiting for a taxi. No one came after her like in the movies. No one offered her a ride,everyone simply passed her by.  She sometimes hated the world really. Didn’t they see…didn’t  Yunho see..? Fat people were human too werent they?