Boyfriend On Contract

Diary (Collection Of One-Shot Fics)

Annyeonghaseyo, yeoreobun? Long time no write in here! Anyway, I will just give my update, but I will not be accepting one shots yet. Sorry for the very late update. This is my first update for 2013.

****

Yong Hwa got a text message from the car rental company that he was working for. This time, his customer is a woman who was severely drunk, and the location was a ritzy bar in Gangnam. He shook his head and breathed deeply. He knew drunk customers always give drivers like him a hard time, and most of them are often rude. But what can he do? He needed money.

Hired chauffers drive all over the streets in South Korea. They are often contacted for their services, and most of them go out of their way at night to bring passengers home. Because driving while being drunk is illegal and dangerous, chauffers like Yong Hwa are hired in order to safely bring passengers home. Due to the number of people passing time at bars, most of these drivers work during the graveyard shift. Sad to say, they are often treated rudely.

The company offered pre-reserved car rental with chauffer, but they also offer on-the-spot dispatch. And that is Yong Hwa's assignment for the night. He drove through the streets to Gangnam. He had to be careful because the car isn't his, and because it was a Friday, there were a lot of cars along the highway.

Finally, he arrived at the bar and parked. He got inside and asked the bouncer that he had been called for dispatch. Finally, after completing the details, the bouncer told the bartender that the hired chauffer had arrived.

"Ah, please come in," the bartender said.

Yong Hwa followed the bartender to the counter, where he saw a woman slumped on the wooden surface. She was really drunk, and two people had to assist her get up. Yong Hwa had developed muscles due to nights of carrying passengers heavier than himself, and he assisted the bartender in getting her to the car.

"She's a VIP here. Park Shin Hye's the name. Been our patron for the last four years," the bartender said.

Yong Hwa could not believe it. The bartender told him that about 98% of the time, she always ended up drunk, and the bartender had to hire chauffers to take her home.

"We offer pre-reserved services," Yong Hwa said as he gave him the calling card of the company.

"Ne, gamsahamnida," the bartender said before instructing him where to go.

Before Yong Hwa went on his way, the bartender, who had been so familiar with the Shin Hye girl, called up someone over the phone.

"Noona, I called a hired chauffer to take her..." the bartender said before removing his phone from his ear. "Aish, don't shout at me, Noona. I am just a bar... Noona! I am just a bartender!"

Yong Hwa chuckled a bit that the bartender and the noona were arguing over the phone. Finally, after letting the noona know, the bartender let Yong Hwa leave with his passenger.

"Noona will pay you once you get there," the bartender told him.

"Ne, annyeonghigyeseyo," Yong Hwa said.

****

Along the way, Shin Hye blabbled about how miserable her life had been, and she even told him why he was making her frustrated.

"Ne?" he asked, startled.

"Chauffers like you are reasons why my drinking sprees end up immediately, hick!"

And she began to hit him with her purse.

"Ya! Ya!" he screamed as he pulled over. Really, there is no way to get an accident along the way than being distracted while driving.

"Agasshi, how could I even make your life miserable?" he shot back. "I just knew you today!"

"Don't argue with the passenger. A passenger is a customer, and the customer is always right!" she argued.

"In a wrong way!" he finished before driving away.

"KYAAAAAAAAAaa!!!" Shin Hye yelped as she backed away to her seat.

*****

"Aigoo, why is nae dongsaengi drunk again?" a thirty-something woman cringed as she got out of the door of a pad.

Yong Hwa had a hard time getting his passenger off the car.

"Joesonghamnida, because of her vice, many chauffers are having a hard time," the woman said.

Yong Hwa smiled smugly. He was not under the impression that being maltreated was all right with him because, personally, being pleasant , and it was one thing he hated about being in a customer service industry. If only he could throttle rude passengers and scold them for being rude. If only THAT is permissible. What can he do? He needed money.

"Please bring my sister to the living room," the woman said, ashamed that a stranger had to bring her drunk sister home.

Yong Hwa carried the drunk Shin Hye inside and let her sit on the sofa, and the woman assisted him by propping her sister up with pillows to avoid aspiration of vomitus. After making the drunk woman comfy, the ajumma handed out some bills to Yong Hwa. It was the fair, all right.

"Aigoo, she should have made this bigger," Yong Hwa thought. "Her sister is heavy!"

"Gamsahamnida, Ajusshi," the woman said to Yong Hwa.

He smiled again and walked away. Strike two! Double jeopardy! Not only did the woman not give him a little extra, she also called him Ajusshi!

*****

For five months, Yong Hwa continued being a driver working at night shift, while studying to be an accountant in the morning. He had less sleep because of his load and stress.

And one night, after driving home a tired student to her manor, he went away...

And met an accident along the road.

His car was side-swept by a big rig truck, and the car hit the lamp post by the bridge. Good thing, the lamp post collapsed on the road, not on the car. And because of the airbag, Yong Hwa was saved. But so shocked was he, and so tired, that he fainted inside the car.

****

The next thing he knew, he was staring at a man's face.

"Hyung!" the man cried out with tears.

It was his roommate, Kang Min Hyuk.

Yong Hwa tried to get up, but his body ached. Min Hyuk told him that the driver of the truck was arrested for drunk driving, and Yong heaved a sigh. He thought he was the cause of the accident due to his exhaustion.

"Did you feel anything, Hyung?" Min Hyuk asked in concern. "Like painful back or neck?"

Yong Hwa often heard Min Hyuk say terms such as whiplash injuries secondary to motor vehicular accidents, for Min Hyuk was studying Law.

"Gwaenchanhta," Yong Hwa said to assure his friend. "Cham, how many hours have I been here?" he asked.

"Hours?" came Min Hyuk's reply. "You had been unconscious for two days!"

"MWO????"

"Like, you slept literally for two days!"

The door opened, and in came the physician. Min Hyuk greeted the doctor amiably, but Yong Hwa pointed a finger rudely at the doctor.

"Neo?????"

The doctor smiled and looked at him with all innocence.

"Ajusshi is very rude," the doctor said. 

"But you were that passenger who hit me with the purse one night!" Yong Hwa explained in exasperation.

"Mworaguyo?" the doctor asked innocently. "Joesonghande, jeon gi-eokhal soo eopseumnida (I'm sorry, but I cannot remember)."

Yong Hwa fumed. Did the doctor intentionally forget that she was too drunk, and that she hit him?

"Mwonsoriya (What are you talking about)?" Min Hyuk asked Yong Hwa. "Park-seonsaengnim is the doctor who saved your life that night."

Technically speaking, it was really not Shin Hye who acted as Wonder Woman and got him out of the car to be rushed to the hospital. In fact, she was the resident physician on duty that day. And a 24-hour shift at that. And she did all she can to make sure that he was not experiencing signs and symptoms that will make him permanently disabled one day.

"Will Min Hyuk-ssi leave us for a moment, please?" the doctor said.

Min Hyuk left, and Shin Hye began to discuss professionally all about the findings. He might not be feeling uncomfortable as of this time, but she was contemplating on referring his case to a neurologist.

"Ah, but Park-seonsaengnim has a lot of explaining to do," Yong Hwa said stiffly to avoid getting into her trap. "You were so drunk that night that you even forgot that you were so rude to me."

Shin Hye gaped.

"Joesonghamnida. I...I really cannot remember when I am drunk," she said. "What..what can I do to make it up to you?"

"Are you bribing me?" he asked.

Of course, with all the chauffers who had handled Shin Hye's drunken case, it was the first time she had talked with one face to face.

"N..ne.... I will do anything for you... pay for your bills, or refer you to the neuro with my own money," she begged. "Just forgive me for my rudeness."

"Dwaesseo," Yong Hwa spoke in banmal as he raised his hand. "You spoke a lot. I am sure you are a woman of promise."

"N...ne.... Even Eonni reprimanded me for being rude to hired chauffers...."

"Algesseoyo," Yong Hwa spoke dryly. "I have a lot of conditions."

"Ne...ne... Mwoyeyo?" she begged.

"First, you pay for my neurologist. Pay for my hospitalization. As you can see, my company cannot handle everything because our profit does not suffice."

"N...ne...."

"And third, you give me lots of money."

"Ne?????" Shin Hye asked, pallor evident on her face.

"Waeyo? Hal soo eopseoyo (Can you not do it)?" he asked. "Let's just say, I'll quit my driving job, and you give me an easier one that will give me lots of money. Accountants live on money, you know."

Shin Hye bit her lips. No patient had been this demanding, but she thought she deserved it.

"I can do with the first and the second, but..."

"You can't do the third?" Yong Hwa challenged her. "Take it or leave it. If you'll be drunk again, and your Noona will pay me, I'll ask for a bigger tip."

Shin Hye frowned. Why was this patient so rude? Not only did he speak in banmal, he did not address her properly. Why call her "you" instead of "Seonsaengnim?"

"Arasseoyo," she gave up. "I have thought of a plan. This will benefit me, but this will benefit you too."

"Ah, good!" he jeered. "Mwoyeyo?"

Shin Hye bit her lips before answering.

"Please be my fake boyfriend," she begged.

Yong Hwa knitted his eyebrows.

"What good will it do me? Will it make me earn lots?"

"You see, I never wanted to be a doctor, that is why when I am frustrated, I drink... I wanted to be a fashion photographer... And I told my Abeoji that I want to be it, but he will not let me go."

"So, what does having a boyfriend got to do with me?"

Shin Hye scooted next to him.

"Rebelling against Abeoji," she whispered.

"Tsh... and you are not a good daughter," he pointed out.

"Jebal.... Jebal... I want to rebel already. I had always been the good daughter since then, but no one asked me what I wanted to be... Promise, I will pay you lots," she begged.

Without thinking, Yong Hwa sealed the deal with her.

****

"Eodi ga?" Abeoji asked Shin Hye the moment she stepped out of the house. "You just got home from work. Aren't you going to rest?"

"Byeongwon-e gago isseoyo (I'm going to the hospital)," she said.

"Dashi (Again)?" Abeoji asked. "But you just got from there..."

"Ganda (I'm going)," Shin Hye replied dryly before going out of the house.

"Shin Hye! Shin Hye!" Abeoji shouted after her.

As Shin Hye descended the stairs to her car, she fumed. What does Abeoji want again, she thought. Maybe he and her eomma had fixed another fixed date for her. They wanted her to get married to the sons of the chaebol friends, but she shunned her previous dates because the others were elitists, boring, or plain stupid.

But she just had to get Yong Hwa to play her boyfriend, and that might be enough to shut them up.

****

Okey, so she went back to the hospital to visit her fake boyfriend. When she got back home, Eomma was with Shin Hye's aunt, talking about possible dates. Even her eonni was there.

"Where were you?" Auntie asked.

"Byeongwon-eseo wasseoyo (From the hospital)," the young doctor said politely though in a dry mood. "Visiting my boyfriend."

At the mention of the word, Eomma dropped the teacup and the saucer that she was holding, and Auntie's eyes grew wide like the circular UFO. Eonni mouthed an "Oh my God."

"M-m-m-m-mwo??????" Eomma asked, raising her voice angrily. "Namchin? Have you forgotten that you have schedules to meet my friends' sons on weekends?"

"And have you ever asked me about my thoughts?" Shin Hye asked.

"A daughter ought to follow her mother!" Eomma screamed.

Abeoji heard the commotion and asked. Auntie answered, and it made Abeoji so angry.

"Neon michyeo! You are crazy!" Abeoji screamed at his daughter.

"That she is!" Eonni agreed. "I cannot believe that you have a chauffer for a namchin?"

Auntie tried to calm down and breathed deeply.

"I am as upset as your parents are, but if you can present your boyfriend to us, we will meet him," Auntie said.

"Mwo????" the couple asked Auntie.

"Geurae," Shin Hye said dryly. "But after he is discharged from the hospital."

She turned her back on them, leaving the elders dumbstruck.

****

Yong Hwa was finally discharged, and when he and Min Hyuk reached the house, they found Shin Hye there. How on earth was she able to know the place? Min Hyuk told her, of course. As the three of them settled in the living room, Shin Hye brought out something from her purse.

"Yeogi (here)," Shin Hye said, holding a neat envelop.

Yong took it, got a look, and counted the money inside. Min Hyuk was confused as to the whole affairs, so he just looked on with tolerance.

"What's the mission?" Yong Hwa asked dryly.

Shin Hye told him about the meet-the-parent thing, and he agreed. Hyukkie also agreed to support his hyung.

****

And so, Yong met with Shin Hye's parents and eonni one Sunday night at a dinner in a posh hotel. The elders did not approve of the boyfriend when he confessed that he was a chauffer to make ends meet. But Shin Hye defended her date, and Yong Hwa did his best to be impressive. Though Yong Hwa had the brains, his status did not influence the way the elders thought about him. He was a total failure in their sight. Even Eonni seem not to like him. She was shocked to know that the guy who brought her sister home after the drinking session became Shin Hye's namchin.

After the date, Shin Hye and Yong went to River Han to have their own date.

"Mianhae," she told him.

"You are as sullen as them, tsh," he chided her.

"But thanks for being my boyfriend, anyway," she told him.

With silence, the two of them bonded while looking at the fireworks display. But then, since then, the two of them went on dates, and Yong Hwa maintained his part of the deal. He was just to receive money and act, that's all. Falling in love was out of the question.

****

One day, while Shin Hye was at work, Eomma surprised Yong Hwa by meeting him at a coffee shop. She wanted to insult him by showing him his place. And with a challenge, of course. She asked him a lot of questions, including how the two met, and Yong Hwa answered as honestly as possible, but leaving the details of the deal into the backseat.

"If you love my daughter, prove it," Eomma challenged him. "Let's see if you are as good as our Shin Hye thought you are."

"Why does Madame and the rest of the chaebol think that chauffers like me cannot succeed?" Yong Hwa asked dryly. His hatred for the rich grew more.

"Because we have the money! Money can buy everything, even success!" Eomma argued.

"But money cannot buy back time," Yong Hwa said. "If you only have listened to what Shin Hye had wanted to be, then you will know that she had just wasted her time being a doctor."

"But will being a photographer bring her lots of money? No!" Eomma interjected.

"It might not, at the start, but if the heart is into it, success will follow," Yong Hwa replied boldly.

Yet, even he was astonished as to why he even defended Shin Hye in the first place.

"Hmph!" Eomma proudly grunted as she stood up to go away.

****

And one event finally tipped the balance.

Shin Hye fell ill after 36 hours of duty, and she was admitted in the hospital. Yong Hwa brought flowers to her, and it was Shin Hye's Uncle, Auntie's husband, who took care of her at daytime. The Uncle, unlike Auntie and Shin Hye's parents, was a rather liberal person. He smiled at the young man and told him to sit down. It turned out that Uncle was very fond of Yong Hwa because they had the same hobby: accounting. Through all that, Shin Hye suddenly realized that Yong Hwa had a very sweet smile, and she stayed silent the whole time her boyfriend was there.

"We're only make-believe," she thought. "But... I had started to fall in love with him."

"Follow your heart," Uncle advised the two. Then, to his niece, "I understand how difficult it is to be in a career where your heart has never been into. Because my marriage with your Aunt is like that. So, go for what you want."

Shin Hye nodded in tears and with a smile. But for Yong Hwa, it would mean her leaving him, and it saddened him. He, too, had fallen for her.

****

Abeoji and Eomma fumed when they knew Shin Hye bought a high-end DSLR camera after her resignation. She would not listen to their threats, nor about the dates that she was supposed to have.

"How can I have a date when I already have a boyfriend?" she reasoned out.

She could not take it any longer that she stepped out of the house, leaving her parents at rage. Only Uncle understood her well.

****

Shin Hye left Yong Hwa wanting for answers, and she did  not even seek him before she went to France to be a fashion photographer. But five years later, as she strolled around the chic roads of Paris, someone blocked her view. Shin Hye looked up to the Korean guy, who looked at her with hurt in his eyes. The man hugged her and brought her close, making her confused.

"Ya!" she screamed.

"Is that how you treated me? After giving in to your demands, you won't even say goodbye properly?" the guy asked.

Shin Hye suddenly realized it was Yong Hwa. When the two of them released from the hug, Yong Hwa had tears in his eyes.

"Mianhande..." she started. "I did not have the courage to say goodbye way back then..."

"Wae?"

"Because leaving you will be difficult for me..."

"Geurae? You are mean and heartless," Yong Hwa said.

Tears started to fall from her eyes as well. "Yong, mianhae... and... saranghae..."

He could not believe that she confessed to him first. And she said that she started falling for him when he and Uncle talked in the hospital. That made leaving him difficult, so she opted to leave without saying a word.

"And I love you too," Yong Hwa said while explaining how he realized that he had loved her. It was also that day when he defended her after her Eomma insulted him at the coffee shop.

"Mian..."

But Yong Hwa did not allow her to say more as he pulled her closer for a hungry kiss. Shin Hye was shocked to be kissed like that, but hey, they're in the City of Love, so it was fine.

And the two of them reunited after that long time of absence.

 

~~~~

END

 

~~~~

 

Yeoreobun, thank you so much for reading all my one-shot fics. I had fun reading all your comments and being with you. However, sad to say, things have to end. This one-shot will be the end of this Diary series. Thank you so much for taking time to read and request, and please support my other YongShin fics.

Saranghaeyo ♥♥♥♥!!!! 

 

~~~~