What If

Her Foolish Heart

Yo Seob came into the CUBE Cafe's rest area with a wide smile on his face. He was supposed to meet Ji Hyun to rehearse for their duet together. They were going to do the duet at an United Cube concert to surprise their fans with the newest single.

 

Ji Hyun was already sitting on the couch with cookies in her hands after her strenuous training with 4 Minute. She spotted Yo Seob coming into the room without realising her presence. Yo Seob sat down at one corner of the couch and continued smiling.

 

“Yo Seob, hello!” She said cheerfully but he did not respond to her.

 

“Yo Seob!” She called again but he did not flinch a bit and kept touching the piece of paper he was holding.

 

Ji Hyun got impatient with him and snatched the piece of paper away from him, “What are you reading?!”

 

Ji Hyun scanned through the paper quickly before Yo Seob responded and decided to snatch the paper back. She saw “N.J” signing off at the bottom of the paper and she froze in her position. She was not expecting that at all.

 

“Yah, Ji Hyun!” Yo Seob was annoyed by her childish manner and snatched the paper back. He kept the letter back in his pocket and sat down on the couch, “Don’t you know how to respect others’ privacy?”

 

Ji Hyun was slightly hurt by his spiteful comment. She knew Yo Seob would be harsh at times and spoke without thinking but she was in the wrong as well, “I’m sorry.”

 

Yo Seob noticed her apologetic expression and softened his tone, “It’s okay.”

 

“Yo Seob,” She sat beside him and bit her lips nervously, “N.J…”

 

“You saw the letter?” Yo Seob interrupted.

 

Ji Hyun was afraid of making Yo Seob angry again so she quickly shook her head furiously and denied, “No! I only saw the name.”

 

She did not need to read the letter to know what was inside anyway. It was her who wrote the letter and she had just placed the letter into the mailbox early in the morning way before Yo Seob made his way to the mailbox.

 

Hello Yo Seob-sshi!

 

You mentioned in your tweet that you have a surprise coming up. Is it a new song? Kekeke, I am looking forward to the surprise. Whether it’s a new song or a new show you have, I know I will not be disappointed. That’s because I am certain Yang Yo Seob will do his very best for every single thing he does. And I know Yang Yo Seob will never make his fans disappointed in him.

 

To reply to your tweet, yes, of course I will fully support you. ;)

 

Like you have said before – People who challenge themselves are beautiful. Hwaiting, my prince who always shine like a bright star in the night sky!

 

- N.J ;)

 

She recited the whole letter in her mind and chuckled softly. However, it was loud enough for Yo Seob to ask her, “What are you laughing about?”

 

“It’s nothing.” Ji Hyun was indeed very curious as to how Yo Seob treasured N.J’s letters, “Yo Seob, do you really keep every letter of hers?”

 

Yo Seob blushed slightly after hearing her question. Even Ji Hyun knew about his little secret. “Yes I do. The point when I think I am a little obsessed over a fan.” Yo Seob confessed honestly as he touched his pocket where he kept his letter.

 

“I am still holding onto the little chance that maybe one day, I should really see her in real life one day. Besides, she’s my fan right? She will be thrilled to see me in real life.” Yo Seob grinned as he thought of the fact.

 

Before this, he could not believe it was actually possible to yearn for someone he had never seen before in his life like that. N.J changed him and she would never be replaced in his heart.

 

Ji Hyun’s smile fell after hearing his words as she imagined his disappointment if he would find out he would never ever meet N.J. Ji Hyun pondered when he confessed. He was still holding onto the chance that maybe he could meet N.J one day. Ji Hyun questioned him cautiously, “Yo Seob, what if she turns out to be nothing like you have expected?”

 

“What do you mean by that?” Yo Seob argued with her, “Looks aren’t everything. Her heart is pure like gold and I don’t care how she looks like.”

 

“No, no…” Ji Hyun tried to make her point as clear as possible, “I was just saying what if it’s impossible for you to see her in real life? What if she doesn’t want to meet you up in real life? Things may not be as simple as you think.”

 

She knew that. She knew she was not going to meet Yo Seob as N.J.

 

“Ji Hyun, why are you discouraging me like this?” Yo Seob was appalled at Ji Hyun’s negativity.

 

“Yo Seob, I’m just hoping you won’t expect too much out of a fan. Things aren’t that simple…” Ji Hyun continued weakly.

 

“Things aren’t that complicated.” Yo Seob made a firm stand, “I will definitely meet her one day.”

 

Things became awkward after they had a minor tiff regarding N.J. Ji Hyun never knew N.J would be the sole reason for their disagreement. N.J was supposed to be a connection between them but now, things turned sour.

 

Despite that, Ji Hyun and Yo Seob had to remain professional about the duet. They had a short break after the rehearsal which turned out to be worse than they thought. They had no chemistry and did not look into other’s eyes as expected.

 

Nevertheless, they walked along the same path together, not knowing both of them are heading towards the vending machine at the same time. “Tsk, why does he have to go to the same place as I do?” Ji Hyun muttered under her breath.

 

“Yah, I can hear you pretty well! It’s not a very big place here so I can even hear a pin drop,” Yo Seob rebutted as they walked along the narrow path together. He tried to peek at Ji Hyun’s expression to see whether she was still mad over what he had said earlier but her hair was covering her face, impossible to detect her expression.

 

Ji Hyun walked off in a huff and quickened her pace towards the vending machine. Yo Seob was taken aback by her sudden speed and commented, “Aish, she’s still angry… like a little girl.”

 

He took bigger steps and stepped behind Ji Hyun. Ji Hyun felt him behind him and that made her heart beat faster for some reasons. She tried to calm herself down and inserted a few coins to get herself a cup of coffee.

 

Suddenly, Yo Seob placed both his hands gently on her shoulders.

 

“I’m sorry, Ji Hyun.”