A Close One

Her Foolish Heart

|October 2009|

 

Two days had passed.

 

However, still no fan letters. Sometimes, Yo Seob would secretly go to the CUBE mailbox by himself to check for his fan letters but the mailbox was only filled with letters mainly for Doo Joon and Ki Kwang. Even the rest had letters. Except him.

 

He was utterly dejected. He spotted Ji Hyun behind him through the reflection and sniggered, “See, I told you I wouldn’t have any fan letters. Admit it, Ji Hyun. You lost the bet.”

 

“Wait, it’s only been two days. You still have one more day!” Ji Hyun argued with him again and faced him towards her face. “Yang Yo Seob, get this in your head. Even if you don’t have any doesn’t mean the world ends! Life goes on and remember why you want to be a singer!” Ji Hyun tried to talk him out.

 

Yo Seob, yet again, dropped her hands down and stepped back, “Ji Hyun, don’t try to encourage me anymore.”

 

With that, he gave a weak smile to her and walked away.

 

“I can’t believe I have to come to this decision.” Ji Hyun talked to herself and went back to her dorm. She took out her papers that were hidden in the closet and held her pen. She held it for a really long time.

 

She was getting frustrated with herself already, “Come on, Ji Hyun! It’s just faking a damn fan letter; it’s not too hard for you. Just duplicate any of the fan letters you got from your own fans!” She pulled her hair and breathed in and out. She laid back on her seat and sighed, “I can’t do it, it’s too corny.”

However, her mind flashed back the images of Yo Seob’s disappointed face. She could not give up. Suddenly, her television was running a programme and the female lead said something, “Just go with your heart.”

 

“Just go with my heart.” Ji Hyun repeated to herself, “Just go with my heart.” That’s it. She just had to write whatever feelings she had for Yo Seob. She had to think how much she supported Yo Seob from the beginning when he entered CUBE and how much he practiced for this. She just had to encourage him and push him to move onto greater heights.

 

Hello Yo Seob-sshi,

 

I have seen you. I have seen you since you have entered CUBE Entertainment, even way before you debut in BEAST. I have been struggling with myself whether I should write a letter to you. Today, I saw the perspiration on your face as you performed on Music Core stage; I felt your sincerity in the performance. Therefore, I have decided to write a fan letter to you.

 

Yo Seob-sshi, no other idol has ever caught my heart like this. You are passionate and determined. I just want you to know that you have fans that love you and will support you in the long run. You may not remember me afterwards when you get more fans but nevertheless, Yo Seob-sshi, I will be the fan that supports you from the start till the end.

 

Congratulations on your debut in BEAST. Please take care of yourself.

 

-N.J

Your number 1 fan ;)

 

Ji Hyun ended the letter. Was it too corny? She could not be bothered anymore. All of these words, these corny words, were what she had always wanted to tell Yo Seob but had not have the courage to do so. By writing it all down made her feel better.

 

The next morning, she hesitated and held onto her letter every so tightly in front of the CUBE mailbox. Should I put it in, she thought to herself. She was already placing the letter inside but she could not bear to let go.

 

Suddenly, she heard voices around the corner. Out of shock, she let go and the letter slipped into the mailbox unknowingly. She cursed in her head mentally and hurried away from the mailbox. It was too late for her to escape so she sat down on the couch and pretended to read some books on the table.

 

BEAST members came into the building and Yo Seob spotted Ji Hyun at the couch, “Ah! Ji Hyun. Today’s the last day…”

 

“Yeah…” Ji Hyun was nervous. Was he going to realise her plot?

 

Yo Seob went over to the mailbox and exhaled loudly enough for Ji Hyun to hear his breathing. He opened the mailbox to only find one letter. He checked the letter to find out it was addressed to Yang Yo Seob. He was ecstatic and opened the letter to read it, “Yah, boys! I have a fan letter!”

 

The BEAST members surrounded him and read the letter with him. Ji Hyun stood up and went nearer to them. Yo Seob kept the letter to himself and went to Ji Hyun with a weird expression. Ji Hyun became nervous as Yo Seob grabbed her shoulders tightly and looked into her eyes intently. Did he find out about Ji Hyun’s plot? Maybe he had figured out Ji Hyun wrote the letter?

 

All of a sudden, Yo Seob hugged Ji Hyun and screamed into her ears, “Ah! You were right! I do have fans after all!” Yo Seob broke away from the hug and Ji Hyun looked bewildered, “Sorry, Ji Hyun. I won this bet!”

 

Ji Hyun recovered her senses and smiled at Yo Seob, “I’m happy for you, Yo Seob.”

 

“Ah, I have a fan! I have a fan letter. Bye, Ji Hyun, we’re going off now.” Yo Seob waved goodbye to Ji Hyun and walked away with the guys.

 

After they had left the place, Ji Hyun wiped her perspiration away and collapsed on the floor after a scare of her life, “That was close.” She remembered the hug from Yo Seob and grinned from ear to ear. She blushed as she remembered how Yo Seob looked into her eyes with happiness. She could still smell his scent on her shirt, “As long as he’s happy.”