None For Me

Her Foolish Heart

“Ji Hyun-ah! What are you doing in your room again?” Ga Yoon asked after barging into Ji Hyun’s room without any permission. Ji Hyun quickly hid whatever she was doing from Ga Yoon and turned to Ga Yoon.

 

“Yah, I told you to knock before you come in! It’s not good to barge into someone’s room like that!” Ji Hyun reprimanded her like a grandma and crossed her eyebrows.

 

Ga Yoon was suspecting something as she stretched her neck over to see what Ji Hyun was doing, “I’m sorry but what is that you are hiding from me?”

 

Ji Hyun stuttered as she clustered the papers away from the table and folded her arms, “Eh?” Ji Hyun went over to the door where Ga Yoon was and stuck out her tongue, “Nothing! I’m just… reading a book!”

 

“Read? You never read!” Ga Yoon raised her eyebrow as Ji Hyun’s lies were getting from bad to worse each day.

 

Ji Hyun was slightl embarrassed that Ga Yoon caught her red-handed and shook her head, “Now stop teasing me and go watch TV or something!” After that, she closed the door on Ga Yoon and locked the door. She leaned against the door and sighed heavily, “That was close.”

 

She  cleared the clutter of things and took out the piece of paper again. She was not done writing her letter. She smiled as she read the letter again and continued writing with her pen she had always used. After writing, she sealed the letter into a beige coloured envelope and placed in safely in her cupboard. “Goodnight!” She smiled at the letter again and closed the cupboard. She snuck into her cosy bed and slept the night through.

 

|October 2009|

 

“Hello, my boys!” The BEAST manager greeted the members enthusiastically.

 

“Hello…” However the members were like zombies lying on the floor, exhausted from the busy schedule they already had after their debut just mere two weeks ago.

 

The manager chuckled as he witnessed his boys being like old men, “Yah, get up. I know it has been tiring for the six of you but I have a present for everyone.”

 

Upon hearing the word ‘present’, everyone’s mood lit up and their eyes sparkled like a dog waiting for its reward after a fetch. The manager smiled and explained, “The fact you’re hardworking is the reason for you being exhausted. Thus, all of your hard work pays off and this is just a beginning of a reward you will receive.”

 

“It has only been two weeks but there’s a reward for us already?” Yo Seob questioned.

 

The manager nodded and took out a bag. The members were still confused. What could be in the bag? It looked heavy. The manager ped the bag to reveal many papers falling from it. “Oh my goodness!” The members’ eyes widened with surprise as there were at least 50 letters out of the bag.

 

They were fan letters.

 

Every celebrity’s dream.

 

“Oh my goodness, fan letters! And we just debuted two weeks ago! I can’t believe we have fan letters just after two weeks!” Hyun Seung exclaimed as he took the ones that had his name written on it.

 

The others did the same and took the ones that had their names scribbled on it. They read the letters one by one and started sharing it with every member. Everyone was laughing and sharing – except for one person.

 

“Yo Seob, why are you so quiet?” The manager asked.

 

Yo Seob was flipping through the fan letters which were left on the floor. He gave up and gave a weak smile, “I don’t have… I don’t have any.”

 

“What?” The members were startled by his words. “There has to be at least one! I help you find!” The members offered their help but it would make Yo Seob look even more pathetic.

 

“That’s fine.” Yo Seob stood up and said, “I’ll get something to drink.” He left the room half-heartedly and went straight to the CUBE rooftop.

 

-

 

“Boo! Guess who am I?”

 

“Ji Hyun, stop messing around. I’m not in a good mood to play.” Yo Seob answered blatantly and removed her hands off his eyes.

 

The cool breeze brushed against their skin. Ji Hyun’s face was revealed after Yo Seob’s eyes were uncovered but he didn’t take a second look at her after what had happened to him. “What happened?” Ji Hyun asked him with a gentle and smoothing voice.

 

“Nothing,” Yo Seob looked at the blue sky.

 

Ji Hyun folded her arms and demanded, “You just mentioned to me that you’re not in a good mood, Yang Yo Seob.” She made her voice gentler as she felt she was being too tough, “Have we known each other for years? Come on, we’re friends right? You can tell me everything.”

 

Yo Seob was feeling helpless and he didn’t want to worry s. Maybe Ji Hyun would be his listening ear for a while. He picked up the courage to speak out his mind, “We just received fan letters a moment ago.”

 

“That’s great!” Ji Hyun interrupted without hearing further.

 

Yo Seob turned and smirked, “I didn’t get any. Not even a single one.”

 

“Oh.” Ji Hyun added awkwardly.

 

Yo Seob chuckled and sighed, “I’m the main vocalist. I have the most lines in the songs but what’s the use? No one notices me… because I’m not as good looking as the rest. I’m the shortest and the ugliest. The cruel reality of showbiz. Talent is nothing.”

 

“Nonsense! Absolute nonsense!” Ji Hyun answered back. It startled Yo Seob slighty and he looked at her with confusion. Ji Hyun placed both hands on his shoulders, “How can you doubt yourself like that? You’re great at singing. You’re cute. You’re talented. You have no idea how many people out there are willing to trade for your voice. These people don’t recognise you just yet. Be patient.”

 

He removed Ji Hyun’s hands from his shoulders and tilted his head, “I know very well myself, Ji Hyun. How I can ever shine? People look at appearance first; they look at something that I don’t have. If they are not even the least interested, how can they even judge my talent? Fans? Who am I kidding?”

 

“What if I say you will get your first fan letter by three days from now?” Ji Hyun challenged him but she was feeling unsure. What if she had given him false hope?

 

“That will never happen.” Yo Seob was being disheartened again.

 

“I bet you will. Just wait for it. Your time will definitely come.” Ji Hyun placed her hand on his shoulder again to give him strength. However, she knew it wasn’t enough to gain his confidence back. She had to do something to get Yo Seob back up.

-

 

Author's Note:

Check out the awesome poster done by Rifa_Namstar! :)