What Would I Do

Her Foolish Heart

“Yo Seob, what are you doing?” Ji Hyun approached him who was bobbing his head to some music in one of the rooms of CUBE.

 

“Ah , Ji Hyun-ah! You’re here!” Yo Seob messed her hair like a brother would do to his younger sister. Until now, her heart would beat faster every time she saw Yo Seob. Yo Seob grinned and plugged the ear phones to his phone.

 

“Come over.” He held Ji Hyun’s hand and led her to sit down. He placed the ear phones over her ears and moved closer to her. She could not concentrate but tried to listen to the music that he played.

 

“What do you think?” Yo Seob asked eagerly after the music had stopped. The music was unusally short, not long enough to be a full song and it had no one singing.

 

Ji Hyun tilted her head, “The beat is nice and it’s addictive.”

 

Yo Seob clapped his hands and punched his fist in the air, “Yes!”

 

“What is it about?” Ji Hyun was confused since he hadn’t answered her question.

 

“I composed the song myself, Ji Hyun!” Yo Seob explained.

 

“Really?” Ji Hyun exclaimed and replayed the song and danced along to the beat, “I can’t believe you composed this song!”

 

“Me neither!” Yo Seob laughed.

 

“So is this song going to be on BEAST’s new album?” Ji Hyun asked.

 

“Well…” Yo Seob hesitated and pursed his lips while thinking to himself, “Honestly, I don’t think the song fits the concept of our new album but I really want the public to hear my creations.”

 

“I see,” Ji Hyun nodded to his explanation and gave a suggestion, “How about releasing a digital single for this? It’s neither sounds like a ballad or a dance song. I think if you complete the whole song, it will be successful!”

 

Yo Seob’s eyes lit up as he heard Ji Hyun’s idea, “That’s a great idea. Ji Hyun-ah, why are you so smart?” Yo Seob pinched her cheeks hard and she winced in pain.

 

“Are you going to complete the song or what?” Ji Hyun frowned.

 

Yo Seob smirked and pouted, “Are you going to help me with it?”

 

 

"What?"

 

 

“Come on, Ji Hyun. You know you have been a great help to me all the time. You’re like my lucky charm! Every time you appear, you come up with some kind of solution to solve my problem. It won’t hurt helping me again right?” Yo Seob pleaded cutely.

 

Ji Hyun thought it was irony. If only he knew how she had helped him write letters as N.J. It was true then. Ji Hyun had been like a guardian angel to Yo Seob ever since he had debuted. As she looked at his warm eyes, she could not help but give in to him, “Alright, what do I have to do?”

 

“Ji Hyun, what would I do without you?” Yo Seob thanked her profusely.

 

-

 

After a week of finalising the song, CUBE CEO had decided to proceed to release Yo Seob’s newly composed song but the lyrics were not done yet. Although Ji Hyun had helped him to complete to song, he hadn’t had the inspiration to do the lyrics yet. He pondered for so long but he could not find the right feeling to do it.

 

“Yo Seob, why are you staring into space?” Ji Hyun asked him with concern and poked his back with a pen. He was taken aback but went back to his bad mood again.

 

“I can’t think of the lyrics.” Yo Seob explained.

 

“Hmm…” Ji Hyun pondered as she played the song in her head, “The song is seemingly happy and cute. How about writing the lyrics reflecting your own feelings? Just put in your feelings in the song, Yo Seob.”

 

“I know that but it’s hard. I know how Jun Hyung feels now.” Yo Seob whined.

 

“Yah, don’t give up now! You’re halfway there! Yang Yo Seob cannot give up like this.” Ji Hyun slapped his back and led him to straighten his back.

 

“Have you been in love before, Yo Seob?” Ji Hyun asked him tenderly, avoiding his eyes.

 

“What? Well, not really.” Yo Seob confessed, “But I really want to have a taste of love once.” Yo Seob suddenly started laughing and whispered to Ji Hyun, “I’ll tell you a secret! Don’t tell anyone, alright?”

 

“What?” Ji Hyun moved closer to him.

 

“I even planned out what I want to do with my future girlfriend!” Yo Seob glanced at Ji Hyun to check her reaction. He did not want her to think that he was such a weirdo for imagining such stuff. Ji Hyun was expressionless so he defended himself, “Hey, don’t judge me. I just start daydreaming and made a list…”

 

“So what do you want to do with your girlfriend?” Ji Hyun interrupted.

 

“Oh, hmm…” Yo Seob thought and continued, “Since I’m an idol now, I can’t bring my girlfriend in the daylight so I want to bring her to late night movies. Oh yes, and the amusement parks where we can ride all the rides but I’ll have to wear a mask! And when she’s having her birthday, I’ll hold a surprise event for her at a karaoke room.”

 

Ji Hyun smiled when she saw Yo Seob smiling as he described his perfect dates with his future girlfriend. Ji Hyun started adding more to the list, “And for me, I want to have couple rings with him, let him piggy back me on the streets without him feeling embarrassed…”

 

“Perhaps catching an early Chooncheon train with him?” Yo Seob continued her list.

 

“How did you know?” Ji Hyun was shocked at his words.

 

Yo Seob began to panic as he actually knew her thinking, “Well, lucky guess.”

 

 Yo Seob cursed himself mentally after he said that. He knew it wasn’t a lucky guess. Ji Hyun had said it before that she wanted to do that with her future boyfriend in passing but Yo Seob kept it in his mind until now for whatever reasons. Why did I remember her words so clearly, he thought to himself.

 

“Ah! Yo Seob!” Ji Hyun shook him vigorously, “I know what to include in your lyrics now!”

 

“Huh? What? What?” Yo Seob was confused by her sudden words.

 

Ji Hyun calmed herself down and said, “Whatever we have just said… They can be in the lyrics!”

 

Yo Seob finally got hold of what she was saying, “Ah! You’re right! All the things we want to do when we have our future partners… can be included as the part of the lyrics!” Ji Hyun nodded her head profusely and squealed.

 

Yo Seob complimented her and hugged her naturally, “Ji Hyun-ah, you’re so smart! You’re so smart!”

 

Ji Hyun hugged back and they stopped laughing after a few seconds. The hug… It felt strange. They could feel their hearts while being so close together like that. Their hearts were beating as one – really quickly. Yo Seob and Ji Hyun were baffled at how they were feeling as they remained in the same position.

 

They broke away awkwardly to find themselves staring into each other’s eyes. They had never looked at each other in that way before.

 

Ji Hyun cleared and stood up, “I have to be going. Yo Seob, good luck with the song.”

 

She was about to leave the room before Yo Seob called her again, “Ji Hyun!”

 

She stopped in her tracks, wondering what he could ask for more. Yo Seob spoke again but was very hesitant with his words, afraid that she would reject his idea, “Can you… do a duet with me for this song? With me?”

 

Yo Seob, stop confusing my feelings for you, Ji Hyun thought as she closed her eyes.