I Knew It

Her Foolish Heart

“Thank you, doctor.” Doo Joon said as Yo Seob was already rushing into the ward.

 

With Ji Hyun peacefully lying down on the hospital bed, her head was bandaged and eyes were still shut. Yo Seob frowned at the sight as his heart soured to see her like that. He made his way to the chair and shoved it away.

 

He took a seat on her bed instead.

 

With delicate hands, he tucked her hands under the blanket. He used the tip of the finger and touched the spot that she was hit. Her wound was recovered but his concern did not fade, “I’m sorry, Ji Hyun.”

 

Doo Joon witnessed the whole scene and smiled lightly. He scoffed and Yo Seob turned around to look at him, utterly confused, “Why are you laughing when Ji Hyun is hospitalised? Aren’t you worried for her?”

 

 “Look at you.” Doo Joon smirked and walked over to Yo Seob to mess up his hair like he was his son.

 

“What?”

 

Doo Joon sat on the chair and crossed his legs, giving Yo Seob another sly smile, “Can’t you see how much you care for Ji Hyun?”

 

Yo Seob blushed unwillingly and looked at Ji Hyun as an excuse to avoid Doo Joon’s stare. Yo Seob fiddled with Ji Hyun’s blanket, “Can’t I care for a friend?”

 

Doo Joon became serious in an instant, “The way you care for her is more than just caring for normal friend.”

 

Yo Seob froze. He regained senses again and mumbled, “You care for her too. More than a friend.”

 

Doo Joon sighed and muttered, “No wonder they say that itis not love that is blind, but jealousy.” He used his fingers and widened Yo Seob’s eyes, “Yo Seob, sometimes you can be so ignorant about your surroundings, especially for those who care for you. Please open up your eyes!”

 

He stood up and placed both hands firmly on Yo Seob’s shoulders, “Haven’t you forgotten that I have said that I like older women?”

 

Yo Seob rolled his eyes and shook his head, knowing what Doo Joon meant by that. They both laughed and the sense of tension disappeared.

 

Before Doo Joon took his leave, he said to Yo Seob, “Ah, I have a schedule now. Don’t worry, I’ll tell manager that you’re busy with… Erm… personal issues.”

 

Yo Seob stayed motionless sitting on the bed, trying his best not to wake her up from her beauty sleep. All he wanted to do was to stay by her side and be the first one she would see after opening her eyes.

 

Suddenly, her fists clenched and she frowned. Beads of perspiration started dripping down from her forehead which was bandaged. Her face turned pale but her eyes were still shut.

 

“Is she having a bad dream?” Yo Seob mumbled to himself.

 

“Don’t go!” Ji Hyun started muttering in her sleep, “Yo Seob, don’t…”

 

“Did she just call my name?” Yo Seob could not believe his ears but he was almost certain his name was mentioned.

 

He went over closer and tucked her hair behind her ear. He used a piece of tissue and wiped the perspirations off her face. Holding one of her hands tightly, he assured her everything was alright, “Ji Hyun, I’m not leaving. I’m not going anywhere.”

 

As if Ji Hyun could hear him, her facial muscles relaxed but her hand stayed firmly in his hand, not letting go.

 

-

 

Ji Hyun struggled to open her eyes. She flinched and moved her hands to block out the light that was shining into her eyes. Groaning at the pain felt on her arm, she got up unwillingly and tried to make sense of what had happened, “Where am I?”

 

“You’re up?” Yo Seob.

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

 “You fainted at the main entrance of the building,” Yo Seob explained stiffly and got reminded of the bloody scene earlier on.

 

Ji Hyun gasped and pointed at Yo Seob, “Your shirt…”

 

“Well, looks like you need to buy me a new shirt.” Yo Seob joked with her to lighten up the mood.

 

However, Ji Hyun was not glad at all. “Do you think this whole duet thing is a big mistake?” Ji Hyun tried to open up the subject, reminding herself of the crazy fans who attacked her today.

 

“No, don’t say that!” Yo Seob flared up suddenly but returned to his normal voice again, “Honestly, besides debuting with BEAST, doing a duet with you is the best thing that ever happens to me.”

 

Ji Hyun tried to make sense of what he was saying to her, “Yo Seob…”

 

“So that’s why,” Yo Seob cut in, “Don’t ever say that it’s a mistake. Life has no mistakes.”

 

Ji Hyun was confused with his words but they definitely made her feel so much better. Yo Seob always had this power to make her feel at ease. He was not a little boy like he seemed to be, in reality, he behaved so much like a gentleman if he could.

 

“Yo Seob…”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Why do you...” She bit her lips nervously, “Why do you want to do a duet with me?”

 

Yo Seob stiffened for a moment. He looked at the wall of the hospital ward, not making eye contact with Ji Hyun. Suddenly, he felt the corners of his lips curved upwards naturally as he remembered the first time he saw Ji Hyun recording a song in the studio.

 

“When I first heard your voice when you came into CUBE, I was thinking to myself, ‘Ah, this girl has an amazing voice. What would it be like to have her angelic voice against mine?’”

 

And then Yo Seob turned back to Ji Hyun, “I knew our voices will be perfect together. I just knew it.”