Your Foolish Heart

Her Foolish Heart

It’s empty today. It’s been empty for weeks. ;(

 

It was from Yo Seob’s Twitter. He just tweeted with a ‘;(‘ so it meant the message was for N.J. Ji Hyun was almost to the brink of recovery now but she was still fairly weak. She came across Yo Seob’s Twitter. It was true but Ji Hyun was feeling hopeless.

 

“No, I’m not writing any stupid letters for him!” She shook her head vigorously and folded her arms in frustrations.

 

Yo Seob’s mailbox had been empty for weeks now. Ever since Yo Seob had a misunderstanding with Ji Hyun, she had never written another letter to Yo Seob under the name of N.J. She was too angry with what Yo Seob had done. She knew it was not completely his fault but she could not contain her anger to actually write another letter in disguise. She would end up throwing the letter away.

 

Moreover, she was sick and she did not have the energy. Now, it broke her heart when she saw Yo Seob dejected over his empty mailbox. “Why do I have to be vulnerable? Why do I have to be soft-hearted when it comes to him?” Ji Hyun blamed herself for being so weak.

 

After much consideration, Ji Hyun picked up the pen and started writing again.

 

-

 

She was at the mailbox again. It reminded her of the day when she slapped Yo Seob across his face. It hurt. It hurt on the inside but still, she wrote another fan letter to Yo Seob. She wanted Yo Seob to be happy before anyone else.

 

Before she could put in the letter, she found a post-it note stuck on the mailbox. She checked the mailbox to find it locked. She read off the words on the pink note: I’m curious. I’m curious about everything. ;)

 

“Curious? What is this?” She said to herself. She noticed another pink note at the wall of the entrance. She removed it from the wall and read it again: Why can't I go to sleep and can only see your face?

 

Things were getting weirder as she found more pink notes along the way out of the building. They seemed to be leaving a trail. She held onto her letter for the moment and followed her instincts to see what the rest of the notes would lead to.

 

She slowly walked along as she passed the paths. The pink notes were found on trees, floors, benches, walls and even doors.

 

Why is it that when I see you, laughter comes out first?

Is this what it feels like to be on top of a cloud?

If you feel the same way, have we already started?

So is it true that you really only see me?

 

By this time, she was already at the familiar park she frequented to. However, she remembered this park as the place where she saw Yo Seob cried for the first time and she gave him coffee to make him feel better.

 

Why do I keep shaking, why am I keep hesitating?

 

It was almost all made up of questions and questions that she found very strange. She was not sure whether she was being wrong in reading all these. They might not be for her and she was frightened of runing someone's plan of doing this for whatever reason.

 

She was nearing the bench that Yo Seob once sat before. It has four notes pasted on the bench in order. Again, she picked up the notes and read it one by one.

 

Who likes who more? Do I like you more?

That's not important to me.

If I extend my hand, will you never let go?

 

I won't let go of your hand forever, Nam Ji Hyun.

 

What was this all about? Was it all for me? Who did this? It did not make sense to her at all but her left hand was holding onto every note she had picked up along the way.

 

Suddenly she felt someone behind her. She turned around swiftly to find the person she wanted to avoid the most.

 

“Yo Seob!” She exclaimed.

 

Without saying any word, Yo Seob quickly took the letter from her hand and opened the envelope. She attempted to get back the letter, knowing her identity was about to be exposed, “Yo Seob, hand it back to me!”

 

However, Yo Seob began to read the letter, “Hi Yo Seob…

 

I am back with another letter. I apologise for the late letter this week because I am studying for my exams.

 

You have been looking very out of colour lately, Yo Seob-sshi. Is something bothering in your life? Remember to smile and look at the bright side of life. Your fans will be heartbroken after looking at your teary eyes and forced smile.

 

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

 

Yo Seob-sshi, I know you will conquer every obstacle in your life. Hwaiting!

 

Your number 1 fan

N.J ;)”

 

Yo Seob finished the letter and found Ji Hyun to be biting her lips and looking down at the floor, deliberately avoiding his gaze. “Ji Hyun, please explain. Or should I call you… N.J?” Yo Seob emphasised.

 

“You knew? You planned all these to make me write a letter and reveal myself?” Ji Hyun accused him directly. Yo Seob did not hesitate to admit his plot. He did try to lure her into writing another letter for him so she would be exposed by him.

 

Ji Hyun could not lie any longer. She wanted to slap him so much for deceiving her but she could not do so as she knew she was the one who deceived his feelings first. She had been exposed and Yo Seob did not look too happy, “Please tell me one thing: Have you been doing this for the past two years. From the start of the first letter… Was it you?”

 

As if she was committing and admitting to a crime, she nodded.

 

Yo Seob rested his head on the wall and sighed, “Ji Hyun, why?”

 

“It’s not important anymore. The reason is not important anymore.” Ji Hyun sobbed, “The point is you don’t need N.J anymore. Don’t worry, Yo Seob. N.J will cease to exist from now onwards. And as for Nam Ji Hyun…”

 

She spilled out her own name in disgust and continued with her last sentence with her very last strength, “I promise I will never enter your life ever again.”

 

She held back her tears and walked away. Yo Seob witnessed her leaving without a word. He did not expect things would get to this stage. He did not expect their relationship to sour. He did not want that to happen. He did not want N.J to cease to exist. Most importantly, he did not want Ji Hyun out of his life.

 

Yo Seob chased her immediately after she turned away and ran. “Ji Hyun!” Yo Seob called for her name and reached out for her hand straight away. He pulled her in for a hug and buried his face in her hair, “Ji Hyun, how can you say that? How can you say that after entering into my life like this? There’s no way you’re getting out! There’s no way!”

 

“Yo Seob… what do you mean?” Ji Hyun asked as her head was pressed tightly onto his chest.

 

“You have crawled your way into my heart, Ji Hyun. Whatever happened before, I don’t give a damn anymore. Ji Hyun, what matters the most now is you stay right here with me. Don’t leave me.” Yo Seob shut his eyes and spoke out his true feelings to Ji Hyun at last.

 

Ji Hyun cried on his shirt which was getting wetter by the minute, “I… The person you love is N.J – not Nam Ji Hyun.”

 

“No, Ji Hyun.” Yo Seob was determined to change her mind, “I love you. Ever since I entered CUBE, you showed me the path. You helped me so much… as Nam Ji Hyun. But I was too blind to see you.”

 

Ji Hyun became very silent. Yo Seob knew she was slowly convinced by him, “Ji Hyun, don’t leave my heart whenever you like. You cannot leave and enter my life whenever you want. There’s no turning back. You are trapped in my life now.”

 

Yo Seob took the pink note and flashed it to her, “If I extend my hand right now, will you never let it go? I will never let your hand go forever, Ji Hyun.”

 

“Yo Seob…” Ji Hyun tightened her hug and laid her head down comfortably on his chest. It felt warm and sweet.

 

Neither of them was willing to let go any moment – at least for now.

 

“Ji Hyun,” Yo Seob whispered her name sweetly and realised even saying her name out loud made his heart skipped a beat. Love was truly magical to have such effect on a person like him.

 

“Your foolish heart has touched mine.”

-


Author's Note:

Words in italic teal are taken from Love Day - Yo Seob and Eun Ji.