Just A Step

Her Foolish Heart

Yo Seob, happy birthday.

 

Thank you, Yo Seob. (sob sob)

 

“Yah, Yo Seob, are you sure you turned 23? Your tweets are telling me a different story.” Doo Joon sighed but still very amused by Yo Seob’s childish tweet to himself.

 

Yo Seob chuckled while lying on his couch, reading the replies from his fans who were amused as well, “It’s called fan service and being entertaining! You should learn it from me.”

 

Without telling Doo Joon, Yo Seob posted another tweet online.

 

I wonder what you will give me. ;)

 

He smiled at the thought of it. No matter what happened, N.J would prepare a special gift for Yo Seob’s birthday. Fans would normally give common things like snacks but N.J was indeed different. Since she knew BEAST’s address, she was able to send the present directly via parcel.

 

“What do you think Ji- I mean N.J will give you this year?” Doo Joon almost let it slip.

 

“Wow, can you read minds?” Yo Seob was surprised.

 

Doo Joon shrugged, “You’re easy to read.”

 

“I don’t know,” Yo Seob shrugged along with him, “She’s always so unpredictable. I never knew what to expect from her but everything she does makes me feel happy.”

 

“I hope her present to you is to reveal her true self…”

 

“What did you say?” Yo Seob got caught in his own world.

 

Doo Joon cleared his throat and shrugged it off, “Ah, I mean I hope you will like her gift.”

 

“I always do.” Yo Seob suddenly sat up and ransacked his backpack, “Ah! I almost forgot all about it!”

 

“What is it?”

 

“I’m supposed to perform the song with Ji Hyun three days later but I forgot all about it! I need to start memorising the lyrics now.” Yo Seob finally found his papers to the lyrics and started scrolling through the lyrics once more.

 

He started singing to himself as a practice.

 

I've been alone on my birthday
I've had nothing do on the weekend
But I'm eagerly looking forward to such named days

 

He paused right there.

 

Birthday.

 

In fact, it was his birthday today. And four days from his birthday would be Ji Hyun’s birthday.

 

He made up his mind and whipped out his phone from his pocket. He dialled the number and breathed in deeply.

 

“Ji Hyun,” He breathed in and out anxiously again, “You know, our birthdays are quite near so I was just thinking…” And Yo Seob turned to see Doo Joon was eavesdropping on their conversation. He motioned to Doo Joon to get lost but Doo Joon just stayed and giggled.

 

Yo Seob turned to his phone, “Just a minute.”

 

He stood up and went into the room to talk instead to avoid Doo Joon’s uncomfortable stare, “Ji Hyun, I was just wondering if you want to celebrate together.”

 

-

 

I wonder what you will give me. ;)

 

Ji Hyun scrolled to see Yo Seob’s tweet and scoffed, “What more is he expecting from me?”

 

She shook her head and moved to her table and touched the ‘masterpiece’ that she had been preparing for his birthday since two weeks ago, “I hope you like it, Yo Seob.”

 

Like it was mandatory to be N.J, she wrote a letter that came with the bottle itself.

 

Yo Seob-sshi,

 

Happy birthday to you.

 

 I saw your tweet. Every year, I would send a parcel to you for your birthday. This year, I did not do that because my fear of destroying the present to you. The glass is fragile and I cannot risk it. Thus, I passed this to the apartment staff to give it to you personally.

 

It’s neither expensive nor fancy but to be honest, star is my favourite shape. Every time I feel sad about life, I will lift my head up and look into the night sky, with the stars shimmering, I feel that I am not alone.

 

Your number 1 fan
- N.J ;)

 

She stuck the letter to the bottle and placed it in a beautiful colourful box. Ji Hyun checked the time on her watch – it was 4.30pm right now. She was meeting Yo Seob at 6pm for dinner at her place. The 4 Minute members decided to leave the house intentionally to give the both of them some privacy for their birthday celebration.

 

“Ah! I better go now,” Ji Hyun flustered and grabbed the box hurriedly, “If not I will not have enough time to prepare dinner.”

 

Ji Hyun was overwhelmed with the fact Yo Seob decided to celebrate their birthdays together so she suggested to prepare the dinner herself. However, she was running late.

 

She rushed down and walked as quickly as possible. Luckily, BEAST’s apartment was not far from 4 Minute’s place. She should be able to hand the gift to the staff at the apartment before Yo Seob would arrive at his dorm.

 

Arriving at the entrance, she sneaked around to see that Yo Seob was not in sight before breathing deeply and out. She noticed the middle-aged male staff who was almost dozing off at the table so she knocked on the table lightly, “Excuse me, sir…”

 

“Yes, miss?” He was hardly awake but replied politely after seeing a beautiful girl in front of him.

 

“Can you hand this box to Yang Yo Seob living in Unit 501 by today?” She bit her lips, hoping he would agree.

 

He scrutinised the box and raised an eyebrow, “Are you a fan?”

 

She was dumbfounded. The staff did not know that she was a celebrity as well. She was partly embarrassed but relieved as it was easier for her this way, “Well, you can say that. But please don’t tell him anything about me, okay?”

 

“Well, if you say so.” The staff was confused by Ji Hyun’s request, “I promise to hand this to him personally when he comes back.”

 

“Thank you so much!” Ji Hyun bowed and waved goodbye.

 

Ji Hyun looked down to check her watch again and mumbled, “Ah… I’m terribly late and I haven’t started cook- Ah, I’m sorry!”

 

She bumped into someone at the entrance but was too consumed about her dinner to see the person while apologising. “I’m so-“ The person was about to return the apology but Ji Hyun turned swiftly and left the apartment.

 

The male staff called out, “Ah, Mr Yang!”

 

Yo Seob was a little shocked when the staff called him as he entered the BEAST’s apartment as that was the first time. He replied back after a short pause, “Eh? Yes?”

 

The staff took out the box and gave it to him, “Someone dropped by to give you this.”

 

Yo Seob took the box immediately, “Thank you.” He opened the box on the spot and looked at the bottle of stars. He grinned naturally after seeing the glittering bottle and tore off the letter to see who it was from.

 

His smile faded as he whispered, “N.J…”

 

She was here?

 

He rushed to the staff’s table and tried his best to frame his words, “Excuse me, sir! This box… I mean the one who gave it to you… When did she come over to give this?”

 

Apparently, the staff was still calm, “Well, as a matter of fact, she just left the building the moment you entered the apartment.”

 

“The moment I entered?” Yo Seob thought.

 

Suddenly, his mind was clear.

 

The girl who he bumped into.

 

The girl who had wavy brown hair and was wearing a blue flowery dress.

 

She’s N.J.