Accidental

Her Foolish Heart

|2012 (Back to reality)|

 

Ji Hyun was alone in the dance room since other 4 Minute members had returned to the dorm without her. She sighed and pouted, “Aish, they abandoned their own leader and went back home. How sweet of them…”

 

She sat down on the floor again and stretched. She looked at the mirror, still thinking of the words that Yo Seob had said at the vending machine. Having mixed feelings, she leaned on the wall and asked herself, “Should I be happy that Yo Seob treasures N.J?” After some thought, she fiddled with her fingers and questioned, “Or should I be sad that he does not treasure Nam Ji Hyun as much as I thought?”

 

Being caught in this situation, she could not help but feel dejected and happy at the same time. Although Ji Hyun was indeed N.J, she could not feel the love Yo Seob was expressing towards N.J directly. Was this one-sided love going to last forever?

 

Suddenly, the door opened after a few knocks, she jolted up to see who it was. She heaved a sigh of relief after realising who it was, “It’s you.”

 

“Ji Hyun, are you alone?” He scanned around the room and asked with concern.

 

“Yes, I am. Is anything the matter, Doo Joon Oppa?” Ji Hyun stood up and took her bag, ready to leave the dance room, “I’m leaving the dance room now.”

 

“That’s great!” Doo Joon folded his arms and gave a sly smile, “Shall we have dinner together? Apparently, the other members can’t stand the hunger and left without waiting for me to finish recording.”

 

Ji Hyun shook her head and laughed at his words and similar plight, “Looks like the leaders are on the same boat. I’m being abandoned too.” She switched off the lights and nodded at Doo Joon, “Let’s go and have dinner.”

 

-

 

“Doo Joon Oppa, what would you like to eat?” Ji Hyun asked him out of courtesy since he was older but Doo Joon put up his hand to hand the menu to her instead.

 

“Ladies first,” Doo Joon smiled and adjusted his chair. They were sitting side by side at the restaurant. Ji Hyun appreciated his thoughtfulness and accepted the menu.

 

Ji Hyun and Doo Joon ordered their food quickly and waited. “Ah, I need to use the washroom. I’ll be back very soon.” Ji Hyun said and ransacked her bag for her necessary items and left her seat.

 

What seemed like a lightning flash, a waiter did not notice that her bag was sitting on the edge of the table and knocked over Ji Hyun’s bag. Things fell out of her bag as her bag tumbled on the floor noisily. The waiter seemed taken aback by his clumsiness and wanted to help to pick up but both of his hands were full.

 

Doo Joon stood up and assured the waiter, “It’s alright. I’ll pick it up.”

 

Her cosmetics, handphone and many other items were unscathed. Just then, he noticed a piece of familiar envelope was sticking out of her bag. He was about to put it back in but he could not help but notice that he had seen such envelopes before. “Where have I seen this before?” Doo Joon asked himself and racked his brains.

 

“Ah, Yo Seob’s… N.J!” He stammered and finally remembered. He frowned and thought again, “But this envelope is so rare. Why does Ji Hyun have the same type of envelope?”

 

He pursed his lips and looked at the direction of the washroom. Ji Hyun was not out yet. It would just take five seconds to peep what was inside and put the envelope back in the bag right? After much hesitation, he swiftly took out the letter inside and read it.

 

“What…” He stuttered as he absorbed all the information that was processing in his mind right now, “Ji Hyun is… N.J?”

 

“Doo Joon Oppa!” Ji Hyun exclaimed when she spotted Doo Joon holding onto her letter for Yo Seob. She froze in place as she was unable to decide what she had to do. Was she supposed to snatch it back? Was she supposed to admit that she was N.J?

 

Doo Joon took the letter and put it back into the envelope hastily. He glanced at Ji Hyun’s pale face and knew that she was definitely N.J. Her face showed it all. Ji Hyun did not say a word and took her place beside him. The food came but no one touched theirs. What were they supposed to say in this situation?

 

“I’m sorry for running through your things,” Doo Joon started.

 

Ji Hyun was still speechless. She was frightened that her voice would crack and exposed her nervousness.

 

Doo Joon turned to face her bravely and asked, “Does he know?”

 

She knew that her secret was out of the bag. There was no way she could cover up anymore. Her eyes met Doo Joon’s. She knew Doo Joon was reliable and trustworthy enough. A part of her was embarrassed but another part of her was relieved that it was Doo Joon who found out instead of other members.

 

“He doesn’t,” Ji Hyun confessed and grabbed his hand, “Please don’t tell him the truth. He’s going to flip if he knows I kept this from him for so many years!”

 

Doo Joon propped up after Ji Hyun’s plead, “Why would you do this?”

 

“I just want to give him the encouragement he needs. I don’t know how to do it. But I want to know there’s someone out there giving him strength to pursue his dreams.” Ji Hyun looked down and said.

 

“Ji Hyun-ah,” Doo Joon called her name softly, “Do you like Yo Seob?”

 

The mention of his name set her heart beating so quickly. She was taken aback by his abrupt question but tried to deny it, “No… No!”

 

“There’s nothing you can hide from me, Ji Hyun.”

 

She released her grip on his hand and closed her eyes in defeat, “It doesn’t matter. Yo Seob has no feelings for me. He likes N.J more than me.”

 

“But you’re N.J!” Doo Joon retorted.

 

“I’m not!” Ji Hyun said, “To him, I’m just a friend. Being N.J or not doesn’t change the fact. It may sound crazy but he has feelings for N.J. There’s no room for me in his heart.”

 

"You're so foolish," Doo Joon said under his breath so Ji Hyun would not hear him.

 

Doo Joon sighed as he felt sorry for Ji Hyun. She had been there for Yo Seob since pre-debut but Yo Seob was oblivious to her feelings for him, taking her for granted. If only Yo Seob knew how much Ji Hyun had done for him. “Ji Hyun, I respect your decision and I won’t tell him,” Doo Joon promised as her eyes lit, “But you have to take note what will actually happen if Yo Seob finds out. His temper is not a joke.”

 

“Yes, Oppa. I’ll be careful.” Ji Hyun zipped her bag and gave a smile to him, “Thank you, Oppa.”