Wake Me Up

The Nerd and the Conceited [Discontinued]

 

Chapter Two: Wake Me Up

 

        I smiled as I inhaled the fresh yet polluted air that was around me. I was strolling around town after school looking for my buddies. No one even bothered to text me back. What a drag.

 

        I walked passed the library until something caught my eyes. I saw her at the library through the clear glass windows. And boy, she looked very uncomfortable.

 

        I quickened my pace to the library doors and walked to her table. Her head was placed on the ivory table. Her breathing was peaceful and her snores were light. I shook my head. She shouldn't be sleeping like this. I tapped her arm in order to wake her up.

 

        The female stretched a bit and then her eyes started to blink quite rapidly before noticing me. She turned to face me and blushed a lovely red. “Jihoon-shii,” she said as she tilted her head. I smiled as her expression on her face looked cute.

 

        Yah!” I cried, “Oppa! Call me oppa!” She brought her right hand to her face and chuckled, “Jihoon oppa.” Her laugh was quite adorable.

 

        I grinned, “Now replace Jihoon with P.O. Just like you did at lunch today.” She blew a raspberry and pushed her glasses to her nose bridge.

 

        P.O oppa, I like Jihoon oppa more,” replied the lady who sat before my eyes. “Ah, how rude of me. I never introduced myself. My name is Park Minhee. Thank you for picking up my books today. It was very sweet of you.”

 

        I felt like my voice was caught between my throat. It felt like it was just the two of us in this world. Her and I alone. My heart started to race and race. I could feel the blood rushing to my cheeks.

 

        It's nice to finally know your name,” I plastered on a smile. Do I have a disease? Why is my heart beating so fast? Do I have blood pressure? Aigoo, it's probably due to all the bad foods I have been eating.

 

        Even though I try to abandon these meaningless thoughts
        I meet up with you in my thoughts every night
       But it doesn't make me happy at all
       With every new page that's turned, we're like a novel impending tragedy

 

        I questioned her, “Are you normally at the library?” She nodded her head as I looked at the book she used as her pillow. “Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin. Is it a good book?”

 

        She smiled, “It's alright so far.” “Are you always alone? Why do you read? I never read. It's too much of a hassle. What's your favourite colour?” I asked quickly.

 

        For someone I have just officially met, you ask a lot of questions. But anywho, yes I am always alone. I read because when I read, I'm out of this reality. I'm brought to somewhere far away. I get to be away from all the hurt and shame. And you should read, it'll probably bring your IQ up somehow. And I like orange how about you?” She replied so smoothly.

 

        I was the kind of man that had nothing impressive to show off
        But I was a man that knew how to treasure every day spent with you
        Looking back now, I can't help but think how pathetic I was
        I prioritized my emotions before myself 

 

        Hurt and shame? Away from reality? I thought. I was about to ask but however, my phone started to ring. I picked it up, “Hello?” “Yah! Get your to the arcade. We've been trying to message you but you wouldn't reply!” Yookwon bellowed loudly. I stared at Minhee and replied, “I'm coming, hyung!”

 

        She smiled at me as I closed my phone. “I have to get going but my favourite colour is hot pink!” I yelled as I rushed my way through the doors. Minhee giggled as nearby people shushed me.

 

        I raced my way to the arcade where we normally meet up. As I reached the door, I smiled as an image of Minhee entered my mind. I've had a crush on her since freshmen year.

 

        The first time I ever saw her was when she was getting pummelled by tomatoes. I couldn't do a single thing for her and yet she stood there so strongly. She is a goddess to my eyes. And I am nothing but a mere commoner who couldn't even save her.

 

       Even knowing that it wouldn't last forever
       I chased you like a man without pride