Fly High

The Nerd and the Conceited [Discontinued]

 

Chapter Three: Fly High

 

        Everyday was a struggle. A struggle that I can handle. But I know that at one point, I'll break down and there would be nothing I can do. They say that you can fall down seven times and get back up eight times. However once I fall, I am forever down on the ground. I'll sink away in the darkness.

 

        “Nerd!” “Geek!” “Filthy loser!” I can hear the names being yelled at me as I walk down the halls. I lower my head in shame. I felt slime going down my shirt. The colour of it is red. Ah, tomatoes once again. I sighed in sadness.

 

        If only I was an average student, I wouldn't have to tolerate this torture. I bumped into someone. My eyes go shut as I awaited for the person to yell at me. It never came. All the tomatoes are no longer tossed at me. Instead, I heard many gasps and apologies.

 

        I slowly opened my eyes and looked up to see Zico staring back down. I have gained shivers. I shuddered in fear. I remember the first time I saw him. It was the first year of sophomore year. He glared at anyone in his way. He had the bad boy aura around him. That image of him still lingered around in my thoughts.

 

        “Hey, are you okay?” he softly whispered. I gave him a funny look. Ever since he saw me at the wooden table at the back of the school, I can see his expressions soften. “Sorry,” I muttered as I walk away from him.

 

        I treated it like any other day. Me vs. The rest of Block B. At this point, I would be hugging my books to dear life whilst the boys, on the other hands, walk down the halls as if they were worshipped. I'd be the one pummelled with hurtful words while they would have airy flirtatious and caring words surrounding them. This is our normal routine. A routine I would like to stick to, at least, til the end of my high school career.

 

        In the classroom, I sat at a desk all alone with no one surrounding me. I feel like something terrible will happen. Something that will not be reversible. I breathed out deeply and clasped my hands together. I let my head relax on it until I hear a chair screeched near me. It was coming closer and closer.

 

        A soft voice whispered, “Hey there.” I looked to my side and saw Jihoon. “Jihoon oppa?” I tilted my head curiously. He sighed ever so deeply, “P.O oppa!” I snickered to myself, “I'm a nerd. You shouldn't be associating with me.”

 

        “That's okay! We are friends now,” he smiled lightly. Chingu? I thought to myself. I tightly placed a smile on my face.

 

        A human like me is incomplete 
        In the trouble of not being as grown, I reflect over myself like how I eat
       Even catching my breath is a waste of time
       Run till the sun sets

 

        After school, I walked home. The sun was setting. The time became late and so the sky was dark. I was doing some self study at the library. I hate education. But in South Korea, education is life. High marks can get you into a nice, well paying job. Something that I need. It's for survival. Other countries, like Canada, it's all about being social and having connections. Knowing the right people can get you the right job.

 

        I grabbed my house key from my school bag. I heard the door next to mine open. I see a guy smiling at me.

 

        “Hello. From this day, we will be neighbours. Please treat me well,” the smooth voice said. I dropped my keys. I knew something terrible would happen. I just knew it.

 

Author's Note: Hello there.  To not confuse any readers out there,  the picture above indicates the chapter's POV.  It will most likely go in the order of Zico, Jihoon and Minhee.  Thank you for reading!