Need a Job? Just use Free Candy!

Jelly Beans

The glowing red eyes of the giant robot T-rex, pausing in its destructive rampage long enough to fix these murderous eyes on Yeong Hwa, were the last things the girl saw before she was suddenly floating on the peaceful breeze that tickled the air around her. Keeping her eyes shut, Yeong Hwa listened to the sounds of nature around her as she tried to hold onto the last calm remnants of sleep.

 

“Isn’t that the girl who lost the fight?”

 

“Yeah… I knew the “Warrior Princess” was rumored to be tough but this seems a bit extreme”

 

Recognizing her name, Yeong Hwa cracked one eye open to try and locate the sound of the chatting. It seemed to be coming from a pair of girls walking past Yeong Hwa’s comfortable position on the school roof, both of them sending rapid glances in her direction, but it was difficult to pin point because of the sheer amount of students on the roof.

 

Sitting up, Yeong Hwa slowly looked around at the mob of students who had gathered on the roof and thus invaded her personal space. There was not normally this many spectators, and she used the word spectators because everyone seemed fixated on her. Blinking away the sleep from her eyes, Yeong Hwa split her face open with a wide yawn as she tried to make sense of the situation through the foggy blanket of confusion that still shrouded her brain.

 

“Seonbae Nae Yeong Hwa!” a sudden powerful female voice called out, announcing her presence and startling Yeong Hwa. Spinning around from where she saw, Yeong Hwa came face to face with the giantess from her previous fight. That in itself wasn’t all that bad, but the fact that the girl was on her knees and bowing to her was bringing color to the tips of Yeong Hwa’s ears.

 

“Y-yes?” Yeong Hwa croaked, forgetting for a second about the audience who was watching her. After clearing , Yeong Hwa tried again, “yes?”, and this time her voice rang out far more clearly. Around them the students stilled their private conversations in order to listen in on the far more interesting one between the two girls.

 

Inhaling deeply, the giantess poked her head up and met Yeong Hwa’s eyes with a nervous, but determined, look. “Um… you can sit up if you want” Yeong Hwa muttered, gesturing awkwardly for the giantess to get up with one hand while she glanced around at the spectators. They were calling a lot of attention to themselves, which under normal circumstances Yeong Hwa wouldn’t have minded. Lunch was supposed to be her time for catching up on sleep, though, as well as not running into awkward situations like this one.

 

“My name is Ahn Min Hee” the girl began, her voice remaining calm despite her apparent nervousness. Nodding, Yeong Hwa tried to process the information that was suddenly being inputted into her brain. her lips nervously, “Giantess” Min Hee, Yeong Hwa felt the nickname would always remain as a private little thing she had, thought of how to continue with whatever it was she wanted.

 

“Um… nice to meet you?” Yeong Hwa tried when it seemed like Min Hee had reached the end of her conversation ability. A bright grin sparkled across Min Hee’s face as she bobbed up and down in a quick little bow. Raising her eyebrows, Yeong Hwa turned to face Min Hee fully and crossed her legs Indian-style.

 

Min Hee’s eyes flickered down to the skirt Yeong Hwa was wearing, and then suddenly she had pounced onto the piece of fabric. Yelping, Yeong Hwa tried to jerk away but already Min Hee had pressed the skirt down beneath her hands. “What the hell are you doing?!” Yeong Hwa gasped, trying to push Min Hee off her.

 

“You’re were showing” Min Hee defended, her eyes entirely open and honest as she looked up into Yeong Hwa’s. Sniggers began developing around the enclosing circle of bystanders, bringing even further color to Yeong Hwa’s face. “Well, actually it’s more like boxers-”

 

OKAY!” Yeong Hwa interrupted, a maniacal smile appearing on her face as she slashed her hand across in a quick, definite movement.

 

Smiling, Min Hee returned to her kneeling position and once more went dead serious, apparently satisfied with her “good” deed for the day. Of course, Yeong Hwa was pretty sure she had been being serious about preserving Yeong Hwa’s dignity with the whole thing, too. The situation was what was getting incredibly out of hand and starting to resemble some sort of two-bit comedy that had to have a laugh track to encourage its viewers to laugh. Definitely not the kind of movie Yeong Hwa had planned on her life being.

 

“So… Min Hee, how can I help you?” Yeong Hwa asked, trying to switch the subject from underwear before anyone decided to make comment on it.

 

“Having fun with your girlfriend, Yeong Hwa?” an all too familiar, and unwanted, voice called out from behind Yeong Hwa. Apparently it was too late to rectify the situation, or at least when the Kingkas were involved. Sighing, Yeong Hwa glanced over her shoulder with the calm, confident, challenging look she always used around Infinite and smile impatiently at her addresser Woo Hyun.

 

“I had no idea that yesterday’s little scuffle was actually a display of S and M” he continued, enjoying his little moment far too much. Usually he wasn’t quite this outspoken, but only because Sung Gyu, the all-powerful leader of Infinite, would shut him up before he ran his mouth for too long. A quick glance around the gathered crowd showed that Woo Hyun had showed up on his own today, though, and that she wouldn’t be getting any help from Sung Gyu. Not that she was entirely thrilled with the idea of using one of the Kingkas for assistance in keeping some loud mouth punk in line.

 

“And already I’m back” Yeong Hwa thought, catching the “loud mouth punk” thought. It truly didn’t take her long to get into her favorite character, the “Warrior Princess” of Woollim High School. “And I had no idea that you and Sung Jong had a little something going on” Yeong Hwa chuckled, smiling innocently at him.

 

The crowd began glancing around at each other in disbelief, but Yeong Hwa already knew how to play this one out. “Any of you guys at the fight yesterday? I mean someone must have noticed how jealous Woo Hyun got when he caught me looking at his boyfriend Sung Jong” she reasoned, glancing around at the crowd with an expectant smile on her face. It didn’t matter if any of them had actually seen any sort of between the trio, the students hated being out of the loop and were happily nodding their heads in agreement as though they perfectly understood.

 

Thus is the beauty of rumors and their origins in human stupidity.

 

“Leave Sung Jong out of this, Yeong Hwa” Woo Hyun snapped, not appreciating the sudden change in the crowd’s allegiance. The poor boy didn’t stand a chance against Yeong Hwa, though. He might have a pretty face and cute personality, but Yeong Hwa had the golden touch when it came to manipulating the crowd.

 

“Don’t like me bringing up your boyfriend?” Yeong Hwa challenged, cocking her head to the side as a slow smirk spread across her face. Already Woo Hyun’s patience was fading as he became more aggressive, but unfortunately he wasn’t the only easily aggravated one in this little group.

 

“If you don’t leave Seobae out of your petty showmanship than I’ll throw you off this roof right now” Min Hee threatened from beside Yeong Hwa, rising menacingly to her face as the entirety of the giantess made its appearance. Even Yeong Hwa found herself shirking away slightly from the impressive amount of pure dark energy radiating off Min Hee as she glared daggers at Woo Hyun.

 

Woo Hyun remained unworried about this obvious threat, though, and faced down Min Hee with as much courage he could muster under the crushing stare of the giantess. Glancing between the two, Yeong Hwa could tell that this little argument wasn’t going to go get either better or worse before the end of the upcoming summer break, so decided to intervene before everyone got bored and somebody decided getting a teacher involved would spice things up.

 

“Come on, Hubae. We can talk about this somewhere private” Yeong Hwa said, rising to her feet and gently taking Min Hee’s arm. Surprised, Min Hee looked down at Yeong Hwa as though she were seeing the daughter of Buddha. Blushing, Yeong Hwa pulled Min Hee towards a secluded area of the roof and away from the prying eyes.

 

"So then you accept?" Min Hee asked the moment Yeong Hwa stopped walking, her eyes lighting up hopefully. Frowning, Yeong Hwa rubbed at the back of her neck and looked up at the sky, slowly exhaling.

 

"You haven't told me what you want, yet. Besides preserving my dignity..." Yeong Hwa replied, glancing at Min Hee from the corner of her eye. This was hardly the girl she had confronted not too long ago, and Yeong Hwa couldn't tell yet which version she preferred.

 

"Ah... right" Min Hee laughed nervously, wringing her hands as she fixed her gaze on the roof. "Um... I want to be your disciple" she mumbled, hardly hesitating before making such a ludicrous request. Raising her eyebrows, Yeong Hwa pushed her hair behind her ears in order to make sure there was nothing distorting the sound of Min Hee's voice. "I... you really impressed me last time and-"

 

"No" Yeong Hwa flatly replied, turning to leave.

 

"What?! But... why?" Min Hee asked, apparently trying to figure out why she hadn't gotten the answer she wanted. Sighing, Yeong Hwa rubbed at the back of her neck and turned to face Min Hee again.

 

"The whole point of me being... this" Yeong Hwa gestured to herself, "is so that I can avoid people. I know it seems like I'm some sort of Robin Hood, or whatever, but I'm not actually much of a people person. Besides, I hardly think you want me as some sort of teacher" she explained, shrugging her shoulders. It wasn't that she had anything against Min Hee, the girl seemed decent enough, it was just that Yeong Hwa wasn't the type to take on an apprentice. Or whatever term this giantess had used.

 

Lowering her eyes, Min Hee nodded slowly. "I understand. I'm sorry to have disturbed you" she sighed, a dissapointed smile surfacing on her face and tugging at Yeong Hwa's heart strings.

 

"But... um... if you ever want to... talk? Maybe hang out? I dunno... I'd be alright with maybe once in awhile" Yeong Hwa managed to get out, not wanting to entirely throw away Min Hee's hopes. Instantly the girl's attention snapped up and her smile turned into a beaming ray of sunshine.

 

"Of course! Thank you, Seobae!"

 

"Yeong Hwa" she corrected, not at all comfortable with the terminology Min Hee was using. Nodding, Min Hee muttered a quick correction before bobbing a quick bow and leaving. Yeong Hwa, in response, held her hand up for a few seconds as a lazy wave and then headed back towards her nap spot.

 

At this point the area had cleared out once more, since the show was no longer running, with only the few usual people remaining here and there. Satisfied, Yeong Hwa lay down in her usual place and closed her eyes. Slowly she drifted back into dream land, this time bringing along a bazooka for use in taking care of any giant robot dinosaurs.

                      

"Thank you! Please come again!" The girl chimed as she bobbed a quick bow to Yeong Hwa. Smiling, Yeong Hwa acknowledged the cashier with a small wave as she grabbed the handles of her bag. Returning her smile and wave, the girl moved on to the next customer. Customer service only extended to the few seconds you actually interacted with the customer, after which you were expected to entirely ignore the conversation from before and move onto the next person. It was why Yeong Hwa could never do this sort of thing.

 

"Relationships ought to last longer than a few minutes" she thought, pushing open the door of the convenience store and heading out into the warm late afternoon light. Everything was painted in oranges and reds, creating a warm atmosphere that would never otherwise show up in this part of town. Not because the area was "bad", per say, but just because most people who ended up here were either running from the police, had a small amount of income or, rarely, just liked the "quaint" atmosphere.

 

Yeong Hwa fell into the second category, and she wasn't quite sure if she also meshed with the first. Her father had never really explained the reason for his sudden dissapearance, except for saying that he had run into some difficulties at work. Difficulties entailed working over time or quitting your job, though. Not running away without a word for an entire year, leaving your daughter to support herself from a rooftop room.

 

Sighing, Yeong Hwa dug inside the plastic bag she carried and pulled out a roll of Smarties.

 

Although indulging in candy right now, when her financial stability was experiencing an earthquake of epic proportions, wasn't the smartest idea Yeong Hwa felt like she owed herself something. She had finished the first semester of school now, and summer break had officially started. Now she was looking forward to lazy months in the warm sun...

 

"Wrong" she grumbled, remembering money. She would probably end up having to get some stupid job over the summer just to keep from ending up a street bum. Glancing over her shoulder, Yeong Hwa could still see the convenience store where that poor cashier was working. Pretty soon, that might end up being herself. Faking a smile and kindness as she assisted hundreds of stupid humans who didn't appreciate the cashier's hard work.

 

Frowning, Yeong Hwa paused in her journey home and clasped her hands infront of her stomach. "Thank you for coming! Please... No, that's not right" she stopped mid-bow and tried to think of the correct wording. "Thank you! Please come again!" She settled on, doing a quick bow with a large smile plastered tightly onto her face. This was definitely not the job for her, but if it was a choice between pride and eating she would have to-

 

"No!" a young child screeched, his voice hitting that teeth grinding, skin crawling note that all children were adept at. Wincing, Yeong Hwa looked across the street to see which kid was dissaproving of her acting. Although she herself had to cringe at the fake act as well. Maybe the kid was just one of the more honest critics.

 

"Yoogeun, could you please just wait a little longer? We'll be home soon, and then Umma will give you a treat" a woman in her mid-fourties pleaded, one hand holding a young girl's and the other carrying several plastic bags filled with groceries. Sitting on the sidewalk in front of them was the screaming boy, probably around four or five years old, his face scrunched up and bright red. Fat tears rolled down his cheeks as he pounded his little fists against the pavement, which only made him cry harder because of the pain.

 

Not wanting to get caught up in the drama, Yeong Hwa poured the smarties into her hand and popped them all into at the same time. As the candy began to melt in she resumed her progress towards home, trying to block out the sound of screaming boy behind her. She hadn't gotten two feet, though, before the little girl, sensing her brother's pain, let out a sympathetic wail.

 

"Aish" Yeong Hwa sighed, jogging across the street towards the now entirely helpless mother. As she slowed to a stop beside the little boy, she awkwardly rubbed at the back of her neck and bowed to the woman, who was too busy trying to comfort her daughter to really pay much attention to the stranger.

 

Crouching beside the little boy, Yoogeun she believed, Yeong Hwa rummaged around in her bag. Yoogeun, seeing this stranger beside him, let out a particularly nasty scream and swung his fist angrily at this intruder on his tantrum. Surprised, Yeong Hwa glanced down at her arm, where the boy was currently pounding mercilessly on her.

 

Trying not to smile at his sad attempt, Yeong Hwa pulled out a er from her bag of goodies. This got Yoogeun's attention, and he stopped wailing long enough to listen to what this mysterious stranger with the delectable candy had to say. "If you stop crying then Noona will give you this er. But you have to calm down first, okay?" Yeong Hwa enticed, waving the candy slowly in front of Yoogeun's face. Transfixed, he slowly relaxed his face and followed the candy with hungry eyes.

 

"Do we have a deal? Candy for good behavior?" Yeong Hwa asked, entirely unashamed to admit her outright bribery of the child. Pursing his lips, Yoogeun thought about her offer for a few seconds before nodding and shyly reaching out towards the er. Apparently he was feeling a little akward around this stranger, especially since not two seconds ago he was screaming his brains out.

 

Smiling, Yeong Hwa pulled off the wrapper of the er and handed it to Yoogeun. Returning her smile, Yoogeun wiped away the remaining moisture from his cheeks before accepting the er and popping it into his mouth. Behind him, his sister peered curiously around her mother's leg, her eyes transfixed on the bag Yeong Hwa carried.

 

"Do you want some too?" She offered, holding the bag out to the little girl. This one was a bit more leery of strangers, though, and it took her a full minute and a little encouragement from her mother before she would even approach Yeong Hwa. "er?" Yeong Hwa asked, remaining natural around the little girl despite the younger's obvious distrust of her.

 

"Yes, please" she mumbled, outstretching both hands hesitantly. Surprised that the girl spoke so well, Yeong Hwa pulled out a er, unwrapped it, and handed the candy to the little girl.

 

"You're very polite" she complimented, smiling at the little girl. She returned the smile and popped her er into , eagerly enjoying the sweet goodness. Satisfied that she had done her good deed for the day, Yeong Hwa straightened up and bowed quickly to the mother before turning to go. Before she could take one step, though, a little hand slipped into hers and held her firmly in place. Surprised, Yeong Hwa glanced down to see the little girl was tightly gripping Yeong Hwa's fingers and smiling up at her.

 

"Um..." Yeong Hwa started, unsure of how to handle the situation.

 

"Seo Hyeon, Noona needs to go home now" the mother intervened, trying to seperate Seo Hyeon's hand from Yeong Hwa's. Stubbornly, the girl tightened her grip and actually batted away her mother's hand.

 

"Hey now, you need to be nice to your Umma" Yeong Hwa scolded, not even realizing that she was scolding a stranger's child. A second later her rudeness registered, and horror filled Yeong Hwa's eyes as she glanced apologetically at the mother. The woman seemed unfazed, though, and instead tried once more to remove Seo Hyeon's hand from Yeong Hwa's.

 

"No! Leave me alone!" Seo Hyeon snapped, jerking Yeong Hwa's hand away from her mother's reach. Wincing at the sudden strength of this little girl, Yeong Hwa shifted her grip on Seo Hyeon's hand to a more comfortable one.

 

"Um... I live that way so it really isn't much trouble" Yeong Hwa mumbled, gesturing in the direction of her home with the plastic bag of candy. In the corner of her eye she couldn't help but notice that both Yoogeun and Seo Hyeon's eyes followed the candy-filled bag with almost hypnotic precision, their eyes growing wide as saucers when the slightest of bulges appeared in the plastic. Kids could be pretty cute, even when they weren't trying.

 

"Really? You really wouldn't mind?" the mother asked, sounding like someone had offered her a million dollars. Shrugging her shoulders in the universal gesture for 'no problem', Yeong Hwa smiled at the young mother. "Thank you so much!" she exclaimed, wrapping her arms around Yeong Hwa in a quick hug. Surprised, Yeong Hwa instinctually jerked away from the touch, make the woman quickly drop her gesture of appreciation in embarassment.

 

"Sorry" Yeong Hwa mumbled, chewing her lip awkwardly.

 

"Noona, I want up!" Seo Hyeon suddenly demanded, tugging on Yeong Hwa's shirt. Nodding, Yeong Hwa crouched down and scooped up Seo Hyeon despite the little girl's mother's obvious worry about her daughter's behavior. Once Seo Hyeon was resting comfortably on Yeong Hwa's hip the older girl turned to the twins' mother and gestured for them to start walking.

 

Nodding gratefully, the woman took Yoogeun's hand in her now free one and the quartet began walking, their pace rather slow in order to not overtake Yoogeun. "My name is Kim Eun Sun" the woman suddenly introduced, smiling over at Yeong Hwa. Glancing over in the woman's direction for a moment Yeong Hwa allowed a quick smile to flash across her face before going back to fixing her gaze to the front. After a few seconds, the woman spoke up again, "and your name would be?"

 

"Aish..." Yeong Hwa mumbled, scolding herself for having totally missed the woman's implied request for an introduction. Sometimes she really could be terribly stupid when it came to the social aspect of human life, which as it was nearly one hundred percent of being human you would think she would be the expert.

 

"I'm sorry. It's rude for me to suddenly ask-"

 

"No, no, no!" Yeong Hwa interjected, attempting to wave the hand that was not holding Seo Hyeon's but the bag she was holding made for a very awkward jerking of her hand. Embarrassed, Yeong Hwa dropped her hand and lowered her eyes. "I was talking about... you know, never mind" Yeong Hwa chuckled, entirely thrown off by her own stupidity. Eun Sun nodded and smiled patiently as she waited for Yeong Hwa to finally get around to introducing herself.

 

"I'm Nae Yeong Hwa. It's very nice to meet you, Ahjumma" she introduced, bowing stiffly as she tried to make up for her previous mistakes.

 

"Please, call me Eun Sun" she laughed, a light blush dusting the woman's cheeks as she corrected Yeong Hwa. This request put Yeong Hwa in a bit of an awkward situation, though, since calling a woman who must be a decade older than herself by her name seemed a little... rude? "Do you mind? It makes me feel so old for someone to call me Ahjumaa" Eun Sun continued, smiling hopefully at Yeong Hwa. Slowly, the teenager nodded her head.

 

"Then I'll call you Yeong Hwa!" Eun Sun said brightly, flashing Yeong Hwa one last smile before going back to looking straight ahead. Nodding, Yeong Hwa chose not to comment on this familiarity. This was even weirder than Min Hee's sudden declaration of servitude this afternoon, and you had to be trying pretty hard to be weirder than that embarassing confession.

 

A few second later Yoogeun was reaching up to Yeong Hwa and trying to rummage around in the candy bag. Frowning, Yeong Hwa pulled it high above the little boy's head and out of his small hand's reach. Matching Yeong Hwa's expression exactly, Yoogeun looked up into her face and pointed meaningfully in the direction of the bag. "Candy please" he ordered, the polite words obviously only a nuisance to the little guy. From her seat on Yeong Hwa's hip, Seo Hyun looked hopefully in the direction of the bag as though expecting to get a hand out as well.

 

Now locked in the heart melting gazes of both children, Yeong Hwa tried to look to their mother for assistance. Of course she couldn't play the part of the bad guy, as she was a total stranger to both mother and children, but the woman whose whole duty in this world was to raise the twins could easily tell her kids no. Eun Sun was busy talking on her cellphone with someone, which would explain how Yoogeun had gotten over to the bag of candy. Without his mother holding his hand, he was a heck of a lot more bold.

 

"Fine, you can have a little more candy. Promise to brush your teeth super good, though. I don't want you getting cavities because of me" Yeong Hwa conceded, awkwardly reaching into the bag for two more pieces of candy while also holding onto Seo Hyeon.  Both children eagerly held out their hands, tiny fingers extended in eager anticipation of a delicious treat. Sighing, Yeong Hwa plopped a candy bar in both hands. Instantly the wrappers disappeared and the chocolate goodness went in the kids mouths.

 

"Whaf fat?" Yoogeun asked through a mouthful of chocolate.

 

"What's what?" Yeong Hwa asked, confused by the little boy's sudden question. Squishing his eyebrows together in serious thought, Yoogeun swallowed his chocolate to make room for words and tried to pronounce what was on his mind.

 

"Ca... cavi..."

 

"Cavity?" Yeong Hwa assisted when she finally understood what the little boy was getting at. Nodding vigorously, Yoogeun snapped his mouth shut and handed over the thinking cap to his "Noona". How on Earth was she supposed to teach a four year old about cavities?

 

"Um... cavities are..." Yeong Hwa rubbed at the back of her neck nervously, feeling the intense stares of both children on her as they waited expectantly to be enlightened. "Demons. Cavities are little demons that live in candy and eat your teeth if you don't brush them away at night" Yeong Hwa explained, her voice taking on the tone that everyone does when teaching a child something new, especially when it was blatant lie. Such as the Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus, and now tooth-eating demons.

 

Both children's eyes widened in horror as Yeong Hwa told them about the demons, shocked that they had just eaten monsters that would now make a meal of their little teeth. Realizing that in these few moments she might traumatize the twins for life, Yeong Hwa quickly tried to rectify the situation. "That doesn't make candy bad, though. At first the demons are... friends? Yeah, friends. They make the candy taste yummy. But after they've been on your teeth all day they get hungry, so they eat your teeth. If you brush them away, though, then the demons won't eat your teeth" she explained, hoping that now the kids would be dead terrified of eating candy. After all, she herself was an avid fan of the sweet things and yet could also proudly boast that she had never, not once, had a cavity.

 

As long as you took care of your teeth it was fine to eat as much of the candy as you wanted, although that was something Yeong Hwa would let the kids find out on their own. Right now teaching them to eat sparingly was the best. At least, Yeong Hwa assumed that was how it worked. She had never actually taken care of kids before, making this little walk the most educational experience she had ever been involved in.

 

Surprisingly, it was pretty fun.

 

Seo Hyeon seemed to be taking this story the hardest out of the two, as she was now on the verge of tears. "Do the demons get hurt?" she whimpered, obviously concerned about visciously tearing into the candy, which had no been revealed to actually be living creatures. Before Yeong Hwa could assure Seo Hyeon that she wasn't a murderer, though, her little brother piped up.

 

"Demons are magic! We can't hurt 'em!" He explained, grinning up at his little sister with teeth stained dark brown from the chocolate. Sniffing, Seo Hyeon nodded and returned her brother's smile.

 

"Oh. My. God. That is just way too cute!" Yeong Hwa thought, on the verge of squealing in excitement over such a sweet display of brother-sister love. This was something else that was entirely new, since she had grown up as an only child who could only stand by enviously as her friends older siblings showered them with affection.

 

Squeezing Seo Hyeon in a quick hug, Yeong Hwa nodded in agreement with Yoogeun's explanation. Beside them, Eun Sun glanced over at her twins and this girl as she listened to the young man on the other end of the line, someone who she wasn't always proud to call son. Why couldn't be like Yeong Hwa and actually care about taking care of the twins? Then she and Chung Hee could finally take that vacation they had been planning on-

 

"Please come home on time tonight, dear. Bye" Eun Sun interrupted, stopping her son's long-winded monologue about why he couldn't come home due to a last-day-of-school party that night. On the other end her oldest child tried to stop his mother from hanging up, but Eun Sun had already snapped the phone shut and focused her one track mind on Yeong Hwa.

 

"Do you have a job this summer?"

 

Caught off guard by Eun Sun's sudden question, Yeong Hwa couldn't help but suddenly allow the depression of being jobless hit her hard. "No. Unfortunately" Yeong Hwa sighed, noticing a sudden increase in weight on her shoulder. Glancing down, she noticed that Seo Hyeon had closed her eyes and fallen asleep on her shoulder. Even Yoogeun was showing signs of being tired as he staggered along the sidewalk between Yeong Hwa and Eun Sun. Smiling, Yeong Hwa scooped up the little boy in her other arm and hefted him onto her hip, where he quickly passed out.

 

"Are you sure they aren't too much trouble?" Eun Sun asked, gently removing Yeong Hwa's bag from her hand to lessen the load on Yoogeun's side.

 

"It's no big deal" Yeong Hwa shrugged off, smiling reassuringly at Eun Sun. "So... what was the point of you asking me about working?" she added, wondering if perhaps it had been more than a simple passing comment. Reminded of what she had said, Eun Sun quickly jumped back into whatever she had been trying to allude to before.

 

"Do you want a job?"

 

"Is this seriously happening?" Yeong Hwa thought as she rummaged around in her closet for some acceptable shirts. Most of what she had was baggy graphic t-shirts in varying shades of gray and more gray. Hardly what you wanted to wear for your first day on the job, or the following days.

 

Months.

 

Apparently she had just gotten a summer long job babysitting the twins, Seo Hyeon and Yoogeun, while their parents went on a vacation. Where exactly they were headed Eun Soo didn't say, and Yeong Hwa couldn't help but suspect the eclectic woman didn't even know where she and her husband were going to travel to. Not that the destination, or anything about this vacation, was all that important anyway. All that really mattered was that Yeong Hwa now had a job that wouldn't damage her pride.

 

"Sort of" she mumbled, yanking a couple more brightly colored shirts off their hangers and stuffing them into the overnight bag she would be bringing over to the Kim household the next morning. Since the parents would be gone twenty four-seven Eun Sun had asked Yeong Hwa to simply live there over the summer in case anything happened during the night. It seemed like a pretty good idea, except for the fact that Eun Sun had, as a passing thought, mentioned that they had another kid, and one who was much older than an adorable four year old.

 

"I hope you don't mind my asking, but why bother hiring me if you already have someone to mind the twins and the house? For free?" Yeong Hwa asked as she helped Eun Sun empty her grocery bags. There had never been any actual request for assistance, Yeong Hwa had just kind of found herself doing it and didn't bother stopping.

 

Sighing, Eun Sun paused in her putting away of the groceries and rested against the counter. "Because my son, while a wonderful child, is not the most responsible of people. I wouldn't trust him to take care of my darling twins for an hour, let alone an entire summer" she chuckled, though it was obvious she found the situation anything but funny. "Don't worry about him, though. He's never around the house, even over the summer. You'll hardly see him."

 

Nodding, Yeong Hwa pulled out a bag of flour and handed it over to Eun Sun. "Do you know how to cook?" Eun Sun asked, gesturing vaguely to the kitchen they were standing in. Hesitantly, Yeong Hwa nodded her head. Noticing her new babysitter's hesitancy to say yes, Eun Sun put on her most charming smile and patted Yeong Hwa on the shoulder. "Don't worry, I don't expect a five star meal out of you. Just so long as you aren't ordering pizza every night, I'm happy" she assured, glad to see that Yeong Hwa didn't flinch away from her touch this time.

 

"You won't have to worry for a second about me. I promise to treat your finances respectfully" Yeong Hwa assured Eun Sun, doing a quick bow in the spur of the moment. Laughing, Eun Sun rested against the counter and tried not to be too uncaring about Yeong Hwa's position.

 

"You don't need to be so nervous, Yeong Hwa! I don't want you living in my house for months and feeling like a guest the whole time! Treat the house like its your own" Eun Sun encouraged, smiling at Yeong Hwa as she resumed putting away the groceries. Nodding, Yeong Hwa opened the refrigerator and slid in a carton of eggs. "Of course... don't go too crazy. A little respect would be appreciated" Eun Sun ammended, not wanting to give entire free reign to a teenager she had just met on the streets.

 

"Of course" Yeong Hwa agreed, smiling nervously at Eun Sun as their friendly chat suddenly began to seem more like a job interview.

 

"Great! So just bring your stuff over tomorrow. You can use our spare room during your stay here" Eun Sun exclaimed, grinning brightly at Yeong Hwa. She was evidently extremely excited about this little setup they had going.

 

"A bit too excited, if you ask me. I mean how many people just hand their kids over to a random teenager passing out free candy?" Yeong Hwa thought aloud, rubbing at the back of her neck irritably. Eun Sun, while a wonderfully kind person, did not have much of her upstairs occupied in Yeong Hwa's opinion. Hopefully her husband was at least a bit smarter and would be able to talk some sense into his-

 

"Aish! But this is my job I'm talking about!" Yeong Hwa groaned, zipping up her bag and flopping down onto the couch she used for a bed. Glancing around her room, she couldn't help but feel a little pang of homesickness. She wouldn't be living here for all of summer, and would be leaving behind the wonderful memories she had of this place for a stranger's home. Of course, she would have to do that when her father returned to reclaim her....

 

If he returned to reclaim her...

 

Maybe it would be better if she moved on with her life like this. After all, there was no gurantee that her dad was coming back. It had already been a year, after all. Who was to say he hadn't simply forgotten about his daughter, who had been waiting patiently all on her own for this whole time?

 

In a spur of the moment decision, Yeong Hwa rolled off her bed and fished her cell phone out of the overnight bag. It didn't take long for her to skim through the whopping three contacts in her address book in order to find her father's number. Hitting the call button. Yeong Hwa brought the phone to her ear as she hung over the edge of the bed. The blood had already rushed to her head when the answering machine's generic message began playing. At the very least her dad hadn't changed his number...

 

"Appa? It's... um... It's me. Yeong Hwa? Yeah... you probably knew that..." Yeong Hwa laughed nervously. She shouldn't feel this weird about talking to her own father, for goodness sake! "Um... I just... I thought I'd call and tell you about my day. Um... school's out for the summer, so I decided to get a job... I'm going to be babysitting these two twins... and their older brother... while their parents go on vacation... um..." Yeong Hwa had reached the end of her phone call small talk and akwardly waited for a few seconds before deciding to end the message earlier than she had originally planned.

 

"I love you, Appa. Please come home soon"

 

 

 

 


Author's Note: Hm... not sure what to write here, so I guess I'll just slap in a random gif :D