Introducing: The Warrior Princess

Jelly Beans

All of them paid money, something that Yeong Hwa found very important when looking for a job, but none of them sounded remotely interesting, something else she found important. "I mean seriously! File organizer, flipping burgers, waitress... these jobs are crap!" she groaned, lightly tapping her fist against the advertisement board. It was a brilliant idea on the school's part, but the idea wasn't being put to its full potential since it was flooded by crappy advertisements from businesses who had run out of all other options.

 

When even the local bum wouldn't take your job, you sent it to Woollim to see if some desperate kid would take the job. Unfortunately, Yeong Hwa was getting to be one of those desperate scum and would soon have to swallow her pride and just take one of the jobs. That, or be one of the bums on the street who still had their pride intact.

 

The idea did have its merits, but if Yeong Hwa was out on the streets where her pops came back he would literally rip his own head off. She knew that he must feel guilty about putting her into this situation, so she just had to grin and bear it until he came back.

 

"A few months..."

 

He had only planned on being gone for a few months, maybe three at most. Now it had almost been a year since his departure, with another summer of worry and loneliness rolling along far faster than Yeong Hwa liked. Not that she was particularly fond of school, but at least it gave her something to keep her mind occupied with. At least... when she bothered showing up.

 

That was another thing she needed to worry about. Well, actually, two things, but the most pressing matter was her grades. Her dad's head would literally explode if he found out that his 'sweet' and 'innocent' daughter was failing every single one of her classes. Schooling was not just one of the most important things to him, it was the most important thing. After all, an education was how a poor farm boy like himself was able to move from the country into South Korea's capitol and become the successful business man he was.

 

At least, Yeong Hwa assumed he was successful. His sudden departure from her life, and the zero-contact policy he had since been maintaining, suggested that his endeavors had not been quite as successful as he had claimed.

 

Sighing, Yeong Hwa rubbed irritably at her nose and glanced up and down the hall. Classes were still running at the moment, but there was always the chance of a cell phone camera snapping a picture of Woollim High's "Warrior Princess" searching through the crap jobs. Pride before all else was Yeong Hwa's policy, especially when her image was the only thing keeping her from becoming swamped by humans, none with any positive interactions on their minds.

 

When it looked like nobody was around, she went to slip her hands into her pockets and head off down the hall. Her hands passed through thin air, however, brushing past the fabric of her dark blue checkered skirt on their way. Ah yes, she had finally come to a compromise with the faculty on wearing the female uniform to school. Today was the first day she was putting that compromise into action, and already she didn't like it.

 

Frowning, Yeong Hwa tugged awkwardly at the skirt and tried to pull it lower without exposing the top of her . How any of the students here managed to wear these scraps of fabric and still keep their heads up was beyond Yeong Hwa, who could already feel the heat creeping up her face as she caught a glimpse of far more thigh than she had ever expected. Of course she had seen the uniform on the other girls, but... it just felt really weird being on her.

 

Plus the shirt was far too fitted, cinching in just the right places to accentuate her slim figure and curves, non-existent as they were. Far different from the straight cut boy's uniform, which successfully hid all her female parts and allowed Yeong Hwa to hold her head up high. Now she was busily worrying about hiding her figure while avoiding the pressing gazes of the student body, who had taken considerable notice of her new image this morning when she came to school.

 

This attention was why she had gone and hid in the bathroom until she was positive everyone had filtered into the classrooms, and had been doing so for the entire day so far. Maybe if her attendance began falling since she donned the female uniform the school would let her go back to her normal outfit. Probably not, though. The sadistic creeps enjoyed watching her squirm, especially since they felt some sort of accomplishment by making the school's "Rebel Queen" bend to their will. Honestly, though, she wasn't like that.

 

Much.

 

"Alright, maybe I do like being a bit rebellious, but that doesn't-"

 

The school bell suddenly went off, interrupting Yeong Hwa's train of thought. Blinking, she glanced down the hall to see a trail of students filing out of their classrooms and heading out for lunch. Sighing, she rubbed the back of her neck and took one final look at the board to see if there was absolutely, positively nothing that she might remotely want to work as.

 

"Yeong Hwa Nae?" a voice inquired from behind her, sending a chill through Yeong Hwa's body. Putting on her most relaxed expression, she calmly turned to face whoever was addressing her and came face to face with... a female chest, to put it in the kindest terms. And not one hidden by a shirt, as her own was, but with as much as was possible without being ographic, displayed for the whole world to see. Surprised, Yeong Hwa took a step and bumped her back against the job board.

 

"You are Yeong Hwa Nae?" the girl inquired again, folding her hands over the voluptuous front part of her personage. A twinge of jealousy sparked through Yeong Hwa's mind as she compared this girl to her own flat-chested self, but the twinge was squashed by her realization that if she felt strange now it would only be ten times worse to try and hide those things.

 

"Yes, that's me" she responded, smiling casually up at the girl as she cautiously took a step to the side to remove herself from between the board and the girl. Judging by the body language this woman was exhibiting, she didn't have pleasant intentions when it came to her interactions with Yeong Hwa. "Do you need me for something?" she added, clasping her hands behind her back and stretching onto her toes.

 

s were something Yeong Hwa could let go, but height had always bothered her to a large extent. She hated being as short as she was, though her father had always assured her that on females it wasn't a bad thing and instead made her dainty. Dainty was hardly the image Yeong Hwa wanted to command, though, especially since her reputation had really taken off.

 

"Denounce your title" the girl replied simply, her expression never flickering.

 

"Huh?" Yeong Hwa snorted, doubling over slightly as she tried to keep herself from cracking up entirely. Her conversation partner was not quite as amused, though, and her expression only managed to sour further as she looked down at Yeong Hwa with disdain. Glancing up at this giantess, Yeong Hwa noticed the girl's eyes flicker down to Yeong Hwa's toes with a look of smugness. Frowning, Yeong Hwa dropped back down onto her heels.

 

At this point a crowd of students had begun to gather around the pair, none too quiet whispers filling the stiff air between Yeong Hwa and her new found "friend". Many of the whispers were in favor of Yeong Hwa, which she couldn't help but feel proud about, but a few were obviously displeased with Yeong Hwa's iron-fist rule of the school. They were probably the friends of this girl, speaking out of loyalty rather than actual feeling.

 

"Listen to me, sounding like some sort of a snob" Yeong Hwa thought, rolling her eyes before her mind could process the situation. Across from her the girl stiffened as she picked up Yeong Hwa's eye roll and misinterpreted its meaning.

 

"You want to die?" She snapped, unfolding her arms in a brisk and very threatening manner. Blinking, Yeong Hwa took a step back in order to keep some distance between herself and the giantess, as well as making it easier on her neck when making eye contact. Besides this little recognition the threat had barely phased Yeong Hwa, though, and instead placed a knowing smile on her face as she nodded slowly. It could be considered an ignorant death threat, but Yeong Hwa was feeling like a little imp today and being mischievous was more fun than her worry about death.

 

The crowd around them had bolstered in size now that an actual threat had been exchanged, with the students being drawn to violence like the Romans were to their Colosseum. "And thus history repeats itself" Yeong Hwa thought, glancing around at the students who had formed a tight circle around the pair, thus making themselves into an eager peanut gallery. Currently, the peanut gallery was sniggering as the giantess' challenged was met with a mocking rebuke on Yeong Hwa's part.

 

Her attitude had always been a crowd pleaser, although it never seemed to please her opponent as well. Such as now, when the giantess, now riled up, had begun to send threatening glares to the surrounding crowd in an attempt to get them to shut up. That was a fine tactic indeed, but only if you were scarier than your opponent and, despite the probable ability of facing down a charging rhino, this girl was unfortunately not scarier than Yeong Hwa. She hardly held the same charismatic sway that Yeong Hwa did, nor had she have the ever swelling reputation Yeong Hwa boasted.

 

Still, it didn't seem right to just let the poor girl steam like that, so reluctantly Yeong Hwa raised her hand for a call of silence. Instantly the order was obeyed by her loyal servants, none of which would dream of ever actually speaking to her or in anyway approach her, with only a few choked chuckles and expectant smiles left behind as a reminder of the previous disorder. Smiling, Yeong Hwa nodded her thanks and lowered her arm just as the giantess turned to her with a dark glower.

 

"Why do you listen to this... this stick?!" she demanded, turning slowly to address the crowd that encircled them. Each time she faced someone their eyes would quickly avert away, not wanting to seem in the least bit threatening. Sure she didn't have the same reputation as Yeong Hwa, but it was obvious she packed a very real punch in comparison to the rumors that floated around their "Warrior Princess". "Why?!" She repeated when no signs of a response started up.

 

Eventually, after much shuffling of feet and downcast gazes, though, a tentative voice spoke up from the protection of the back of the crowd. "Haven't you heard of her reputation?"

 

"Reputation?!" The giantess roared, rounding viciously in the direction of the voice. Even Yeong Hwa knew that the question, though having meant to be posed innocently, could be taken as a threat by an angry, irrational mind. Glancing over in the direction of her admirer, Yeong Hwa smiled sympathetically at the frightened face that poked out from between the mass of bodies before it was swallowed up by a sudden closing of ranks by those around them. Soon a grim, defiant wall stood between the giantess and her prey, successfully deterring the beast.

 

So instead she turned top face Yeong Hwa once more, whose calm smile had yet to falter. Yeong Hwa wasn't entirely sure what had set off this girl, since she couldn't recall any truly threatening behavior on her own part, but apparently something had poked her wrong and now Yeong Hwa was taking the brunt of it. Not that she cared, though. Better someone protected like her than some innocent bystander who happened to cough wrong while in the presence of the giantess.

 

"Have any of you seen her fight?" the giantess demanded, changing tactics as she gestured to Yeong Hwa. The awkward shuffling of feet and downcast gazes started up again, bolstering the giantess' confidence in slandering Yeong Hwa. Of course Yeong Hwa would never let her faithful subjects falter, though, and so opened for the first time in what seemed like a century.

 

"Do you want to see me fight?" she countered, shrugging her shoulders as her eyes turned icy cold. Yet still the smile did not falter, though that hardly reassured anyone.

 

This time, nobody wasted any time speaking their minds. "No!" several voices piped up, amongst a chorus of other, similar comments.

 

"Yes" Yeong Hwa's challenger, for she was now making her intentions obvious, snarled as a slow smirk began to grow on her face. This girl was going to dethrone Yeong Hwa one way or another, and now that slandering and outright threats hadn't worked she was planning on taking the physical route. Yeong Hwa wasn't surprised, of course. It had been pretty obvious this girl wanted to ruin Yeong Hwa's reputation through a bloody conquest, as diplomacy never seemed to be the strong's strong suit.

 

"Alright" Yeong Hwa agreed, shrugging her shoulders as she slipped into what looked like a martial arts stance from a corny two dollar movie. A few mutters went up around the crowd at this obvious display of total incompetence in fighting, and the confusion only bolstered the giantess' confidence as she broadened her shoulders and began to resemble a sumo wrestler. Not because she was fat, but because she was... big. Everything about her was just big, and suddenly Yeong Hwa felt two sizes too small.

 

The confusion quickly dissipated when the crowd noticed the fight was now imminent, and was instead replaced by a loud cheer that echoed up and down the hallways. The circle tightened even further than it had been before, and the now incoherent voices of the students urged on the two "champions" with a pulsating roar. They were probably chanting something, but Yeong Hwa was still trying to regain her hearing from the initial burst of noise and couldn't make out what they were saying.

 

"Fight!" a boy suddenly shouted out, his voice ringing above the roar of the crowd and becoming the starter's pistol for this particular event. Reacting to the command, the giantess rushed forward, arms extended outward like the crushing claws of a crab, and quickly closed the distance between herself and Yeong Hwa.

 

A burst of adrenaline flooded Yeong Hwa's veins as her flight instinct took hold, pushing her into avoiding the arms of her attacker. Then, with a little force, she turned this fleeing instinct into that of a fighter's and reached up to take hold of the nearest arm. Quickly her hands had moved into the familiar position she had used to take down many enemies, the muscles of the giantess rippling beneath her fingers as they prepared to pull the arm out of Yeong Hwa's grip. Before this could happen, though, Yeong Hwa had squeezed as hard as she could and hit just the right points, instantly relaxing all the muscles.

 

"Wh-" the giantess began, thrown off by the sudden loss of strength, but her voice was cut sort as Yeong Hwa took advantage of the situation and her down to the ground. Forced to her knees, the giantess lost the wind in her lungs by the sudden impact and was only able to hold in a silent growl as Yeong Hwa got a good grip.

 

The whole matter was over in a few seconds, but a full minute passed before the crowd realized that their exciting fight was over. Hesitant about how to proceed, the crowd slowly died down with only the densest of the bunch persisting until, eventually, they were shamed into silence by the glares of their neighbors.

 

They were impressed, yes, and with this her reputation as the "Warrior Princess" would hold for a while yet, but this wasn't enough. This little skirmish would just palliate the carnal hunger of the spectators, not satisfy them entirely. And what kind of a legend would she be if she didn't get them the full meal, an entire show that would satisfy them for a while yet? Hardly the "Warrior Princess" she silently gloated about being.

 

"Besides, it's always fun to put on a show" Yeong Hwa thought as she carefully drew her hands along the girl's skin until her fingers were wrapped firmly around the thick neck of the giantess.

 

This commanded the full attention of the spectators, catching the air in their throats as they watched bug eyed. Yeong Hwa knew that she wouldn't be able to snap the girl's neck, despite obvious implying that she could, but the crowd most certainly did not know that. For all the knew, Yeong Hwa had faced down a bullet train and brought it to a halt with a simple puff of hair, among the other rumors that floated about the school.

 

Would she kill this girl? Right in the middle of a school? Was the "Warrior Princess" of Woollim High really the blood thirsty monster she had been portrayed as?

 

These were the questions Yeong Hwa liked to imagine were running through the minds of her classmates as she lapped up the attention they showered upon her. She couldn't even hear a breath passing through their open mouths, suggesting that breathing had taken second place in importance when compared to the fight of the century.

 

Leaning forward, Yeong Hwa blew aside a strand of hair from the giantess' ear to make room for . "Do you give up?" she whispered, her breath tickling the girl's ear and causing her to draw back slightly. Even her opponent seemed to have forgotten the situation she had been placed in, entirely caught up in the heat of the moment. Around them, the crowd pressed closer to try and catch a snippet of the conversation.

 

"Yes" the giantess grunted, tipping her head in submission. Smiling brightly, all traces of malice gone from both face and voice, Yeong Hwa released the giantess and stepped back. She wasn't worried about the girl suddenly trying another attack, so there was no cause to further humiliate her in front of the student body. Brute she may be, but Yeong Hwa could sense that she was an honorable brute, at the very least.

 

Around them the crowd erupted into cheers, the voices once more becoming incoherent as excitement took hold. Satisfied with her performance, Yeong Hwa refrained from bowing and instead slipped through a gap in the crowd to escape the merging humans that would inevitably crush her. As soon as she was outside the thick cluster of people she became just another face in the crowd, dropping the flamboyant personality of before and becoming the average girl she had always wanted to be.

 

Sort of.

 

"If it isn't the "Warrior Princess" fresh from a battle" a male voice chuckled from beside Yeong Hwa, drawing her attention to the small group of seven or so boys that had been watching the fight from a distance. It didn't take long for her to recognize the group as Infinite, the "Kingkas" of Woollim High School. Why they called themselves Infinite she didn't know, but the name had always annoyed her for some reason. Probably because the mere presence of it blatantly suggested that the boys had incredibly high opinions of themselves.

 

The boy who addressed her was the leader and oldest of the group, Sung Gyu. Surrounding him on either side were the remaining members, all watching her with an air of dissatisfaction. Taking note of their expressions, Yeong Hwa crossed her arms over her chest and shrugged her shoulders. "You guys not like the performance or something? I'd be happy to do better if one of you would just volunteer" she offered, smiling in mock innocence at them.

 

"Maybe you, L?" Yeong Hwa asked, tilting her head in the direction of the boy in question. How do you even come up with a name like L? A single letter, and not even from something remotely Korean?

 

Smirking, L shook his head as his eyes flickered up to the ceiling for a second. Apparently he was not impressed with this performance, either. Glancing over at the other members, it seemed that only one of their rank was even remotely impressed with her, though he tried to hide it. Allowing a second for a brilliant smile, Yeong Hwa nodded in Sung Jong's direction when their eyes met, despite his trying to avoid her look. Startled, he quickly looked away before the other members could corner him about having "fraternized with the enemy".

 

He was the only one out of the group that Yeong Hwa could stand, and only because he was the maknae and thus naturally came across as innocent. In reality he was just the same as the others, but Yeong Hwa couldn't shake off her initial opinion of the guy from when they had first met. At the time he hadn't known about her reputations as a "bad- rebel girl" and had treated her like any other student, albeit one that dressed in the wrong uniform. Now, though, he ignored her just like his precious "Hyungs", until they otherwise indicated.

 

It was a pity when an angel was into Hell by demons in disguise.

 

"Don't you ever get tired of putting on an act?" Woo Hyun asked from his position next to Sang Jung, apparently having caught her paying attention to his precious Donsaeng. Frowning thoughtfully, Yeong Hwa took a moment to think about it before shrugging her shoulders.

 

"Not really. How about you? I imagine you aren't really as amazing as you like others to think" Yeong Hwa said, smiling challengingly at Woo Hyun. The Kingka almost rose to the challenge, too, but was quickly suppressed by a sharp nudge from Hoya. Taking the hint, Woo Hyun simmered down and chose to ignore Yeong Hwa rather than return with a snappy comeback of his own. Pity, for she did love debating with people. It was always fun to trip them up.

 

"So how did that fight even start?" Sang Yeol asked, showing a little interest in her situation. Raising her eyebrows, Yeong Hwa shrugged her shoulders helplessly.

 

"I honestly have no idea. She just came up to me, got pissed, and tried to crush me" Yeong Hwa explained, giving a short playby of her recent battle. Sang Yeol nodded thoughtfully and then quickly dropped all interest as his fellow Kingkas began to grow suspicious of the direction this conversation was taking. "The why doesn't really matter, though. All I'm concerned with is that I won" she continued, smiling in satisfaction as she recalled that moment of cheering right after her miraculous defeat of the giantess.

 

David and Goliath all over again, except this time David was one bad- chick who-

 

"I want the two students responsible for the fight to step forward right now!" a high-pitched, nasally voice demanded from the opposite side of the crowd that had clogged up the hallway. Biting her lip, Yeong Hwa stood on tiptoes to see who was addressing them, and how fast she was going to need to run in order to get away.

 

"Having trouble seeing, shorty?" Woo Hyun teased. That one actually stung a bit, and instantly deflated Yeong Hwa. Frowning, she stuck her tongue out childishly at Woo Hyun, much to the enjoyment of the other members, and stalked off in the opposite direction of the looming threat. There was still quite a bit of time left before lunch was over, and if she hurried she would be able to make it to the roof for a quick nap and some well-deserved music listening.

 

Speaking of music... Yeong Hwa pulled out her Ipod and lightly pushed the earbuds into her ears before turning on the gadget. After some quick flipping through of her music library she settled on a recent favorite of hers, Run by Epik High. Smiling, she hit the play button and took the songs advice by speeding up her progress. No sense in getting caught, again, especially when she was trying to get a job by going through the school.

 

They would probably be relieved to see her taking a serious outlook on her future by finding work, hoping that it would get rid of her troublesome behavior, so would be happy to help her out. If she was an obvious lost cause, though, they wouldn't hesitate to get rid of her. Thus she had to keep her head above water, and the one thing the upcoming summer break provided was a good chance for the school to "forget" about her past actions and start over with her slate clean.

 

That would be nice. Not having the staff breathing down her back would be an improvement, but somehow it lacked the luster of her current life style, which she had become entirely drunk on. It was a compromise she would need to make, though, and one that she was willing to if it meant not ending up on the streets as a proud, but stupid, bum.

 

"Aish... reality " Yeong Hwa chuckled darkly, not appreciating having to live on her own.

 

 


Author's Note: I write fluffy crap so much better than an organized story, haha Hopefully the fluffy stuff isn't too bad, though, and any readers who may float by will be able to choke it down ;) <---- Speaking of readers, thank you everyone who ends up supporting this! :D

Hope you enjoyed this first chapter! Please subscribe and leave a comment with what you like/don't like! Always looking for pointers :D

 

My influence for Yeong Hwa's "knowing smile". Love ya Shut Up Flower Boy Band!!! <3