Introducing: The Warrior Babysitter?

Jelly Beans

The dragon reared it's ugly head, slathering jaws dripping thick trails of yellow acid, as the prince bravely stood his ground against the beast. Narrowing its eyes, the dragon let out a deafening roar, sending a shower of its acidic slobber towards the young prince. Still he did not move, though, as the acidic rain disintegrated the stony floor of the cavern around him. Unmoved by the prince's display of courage, the dragon opened its mouth wide and prepared to spew forth the fire that had gathered in its belly.

 

"Be careful, my prince! The dragon's fire is hot enough to turn a man to ashes!" the princess warned from her perch on the tower's window. Her pretty face could barely be seen from where the prince stood, but he smiled assuringly up at her as though they were standing right beside each other. Still the princess worried, though, and as she opened to cry out another warning the dragon spewed out its fiery-

 

"FWOOSH!" Seo Hyeon roared, throwing out a pair of fire truck red underwear from the hole that had been left open at the front of the "dragon" Yeong Hwa had created for this game. Apparently being the dragon was usually a job reserved for Eun Sun, but Seo Hyeon had apparently been coveting this role for some time and so had pushed the job of damsel-in-distress onto Yeong Hwa.

 

She didn't mind being the princess, though. All she had to do was sit perched on the edge of Seo Hyeon's bed and read from the story book. Which wasn't really all that much of a story book, or at least it wasn't in comparison to what Yeong Hwa had seen in the bookstores. This was thicker than anything Yeong Hwa had read, and had zero pictures. Of course the story was good, but it wasn't your average "see spot run" sort of thing. Not really what usually interested a pair of four year olds.

 

"Noona, keep reading!" Yoogeun urged, waving his plastic sword in Yeong Hwa's direction. Nodding, she bent over the book and turned the page to discover what happened next to the brave prince.

 

"Let's see..."

 

The prince jumped nimbly out of the way of the dragon's fiery death, crouching beneath a pillar of rock as the searing heat rushed by on either side of him. Walls of terrifying red surrounded him, and for a moment the prince wondered if perhaps he should have headed the princess's warning. His doubts were quickly abated when the walls disappeared just as suddenly as they had been created, and cautiously he stepped out from behind the pillar of rock.

 

The dragon seemed impressed, although reading the expression of a reptilian beast was just like trying to... to...

 

"Um... do your parents usually read this part?" Yeong Hwa asked, awkwardly looking up from the book. Yoogeun was still peering around from his rocky pillar, which had been created by draping a brown blanket over a tall stool, so it was up to Seo Hyeon to ease Yeong Hwa's hesitancy. Poking her head out from beneath the dragon's tail, Seo Hyeon looked up at Yeong Hwa with wide, innocent eyes.

 

"Uh-huh! 'Cept they never say what the book means"

 

"I wonder why" Yeong Hwa thought sarcastically, glancing down at the book again. "Well... alright. Let's get back to the story, then" Yeong Hwa sighed, shifting her position to keep her legs from falling asleep. Nodding, Seo Hyeon disappeared beneath the dragon once more.

 

The dragon seemed impressed, although reading the expression of a reptilian beast was just like trying to... to understand... calculus-

 

"That's not what the book says!" Seo Hyeon protested, popping her head out from beneath the "Dragon" once again. Clenching her teeth, Yeong Hwa smiled and shook her head. No way was she going to read what this book said to a pair of four year olds. She wasn't some sort of a ert, after all!

 

"Yes it is. Says so right here" Yeong Hwa argued, pointing inside of the book and hoping Eun Sun hadn't turned her kids into super geniuses who could read at age four.

 

Scrunching up her nose, Seo Hyeon crawled out from beneath the blankets that formed the "dragon" and stormed towards Yeong Hwa. Behind her, Yoogeun watched the scene with mild amusement and major annoyance. Apparently he didn't care about the terminology, so long as he got to kill the dragon within this life time.

 

"No it doesn't" Seo Hyeon said, peering over Yeong Hwa's shoulder. "It say's 'a woman on her per-"

 

"You're right! That is what it says! My bad!" Yeong Hwa interrupted, shocked that such uncouth words could come from the mouth of such an innocent girl. Proud that she had corrected the babysitter, Seo Hyeon went back to her position underneath the dragon.

 

Clearing , Yeong Hwa mumbled her way through the erted portion of the book before returning to the story.

 

The prince did not care if the dragon was impressed with his courage or not, though. The beast had kidnapped his one true love, and now he would pay for having committed such a grave sin. Extending his sword, the prince fixated his eyes on the wise, golden orbs of the dragon, sending forth a silent threat of what was to come...

                   

"Hey, Myung Soo, didn't your parents leave for their vacation this morning?" Sung Gyu asked, glancing over at his friend as he did so. Shrugging his shoulders carelessly, Myung Soo didn't bother commenting on this. Sighing, Sung Gyu ran a hand through his hair and pushed his bike out in front of Myung Soo to prevent him from walking any further. Surprised, Myung Soo looked up at his leader questioningly.

 

"Shouldn't you have at least said goodbye to them?" Sung Gyu asked, resting against the handlebars of his bike.

 

Myung Soo shrugged his shoulders and attempted to step around Sung Gyu's blockade, but the older boy simply moved it further into Myung Soo's way. Seeing that he had no way out besides answering, Myung Soo resigned himself to doing so. "I said goodbye last night, right before coming over" he muttered, shifting his overnight bag's position on his shoulder. "What's the big deal, anyway? It's not like they aren't coming back or something"

 

"And how about the twins? Did they just have free range of the house all day?" Sung Gyu continued, not about to give up on his line of questioning.

 

Slowly beginning to get irritated with this invasion of his private life, Myung Soo ran his hand through his hair irritably, pushing away the dark brown locks from his equally dark eyes. "My mom got a babysitter. Apparently she showed up before the two even woke up" Myung Soo explained, glancing over at Sung Gyu to see if this answer was satisfactory enough. Judging by the look on his Hyung's face, it wasn't.

 

"Apparently? How do you even-"

 

"Babysitter? Is she some old hag, or is she actually hot?" a voice suddenly asked as its owners wrapped his arms around Myung Soo's waist. Jumping slightly, Myung Soo jerked around in the person's grip until he was face to face with an ear to ear grin. Looking up slightly, Myung Soo recognized Dong Woo.

 

"What do you think you're doing, sneaking up on people like that" Myung Soo grumbled, squirming out of Dong Woo's grip. Chuckling, Dong Woo ruffled his Dongsaeng's hair briefly. Stepping back, Myung Soo glared at his Hyung and tried to fix his now muffed up hair. Beside the pair, Sung Gyu managed a small smile as he approached Dong Woo and wrapped an arm around his shoulder.

 

"Come on, Myung Soo. Spit it out! Hot or not?" Dong Woo persisted, reaching out and nudging Myung Soo's shoulder.

 

"I don't know. Haven't met her yet" Myung Soo insisted, finishing up the repairs for his hair. Sighing, Dong Woo glanced over at Sung Gyu forlorgnly.

 

Shaking his head, Dong Woo tried to wrap his arm around Myung Soo's shoulder, but the younger boy squirmed out of his Hyung's reach before he got the chance. "Come on, Myung Soo. You've got a girl staying in your house all summer and you don't even bother learning if she's good looking or not? This could be your chance to finally get a girlfriend!" Dong Woo encouraged, although to both Myung Soo and Sung Gyu it seemed more like he was teasing Myung Soo then actually looking out for his love life.

 

"At least take a picture of her, okay? If you don't want her, and she's hot, then I'll take her!" Dong Woo added, switching tactics now that it seemed like he wouldn't get Myung Soo hooked up. Frowning thoughtfully, Myung Soo delayed his response until it seemed like Dong Woo would explode from waiting.

 

"Sure" he finally responded, shrugging his shoulders noncomittaly. "But only if she's good looking" he quickly amended, switching his bag to the opposite shoulder. Nodding, Dong Woo turned to Sung Gyu.

 

"Hey, I think you have some of my stuff"

 

"Why?"

 

"Because nobody else does!" Dong Woo groaned, throwing his hands up in the air. Raising his eyebrows, Sung Gyu began unslinging his bag from his shoulder.

 

"Did you actually check?" he asked, resting the bag on the seat of his bicycle in order to make it easier to rummage around in. Nodding, Dong Woo pointed to his face, which now that Sung Gyu looked was redder than usual and covered in a thin sheen of sweat.

 

"Do I normally look this sweaty? I had to chase after every single one of them" Dong Woo complained, frowning pitifully. Smiling, Sung Gyu ped his bag and gestured for Dong Woo to go through it in search of his things. "I especially need my phone, since Myung Soo is sending me that photo" Dong Woo mumbled as he rummaged around inside of Dong Woo's bag. Glancing over Dong Woo's shoulder, and thus blocking out the grumbles that were coming from him, Sung Gyu watched as Myung Soo waved a silent goodbye and started heading towards his house.

 

"Later" Sung Gyu called after him, waving goodbye. Instantly Dong Woo's head shot up and in the direction of Myung Soos' departure.

 

"Yah! Don't leave yet!" Dong Woo exclaimed, trying to stop Myung Soo from leaving. Glancing over at his shoulder, Myung Soo raised his eyebrows questioningly. "If my stuff isn't in Sung Gyu's bag then you'll have it!" Dong Woo explained, jabbing his finger towards Sung Gyu's open bag.

 

"I thought you said that you were positive it was in mine" Sung Gyu chided, knocking his fist gently over the back of Dong Woo's head.

 

"I meant in either your's or- YAH! Myung Soo-ssi! Get your back over here!"

 

"If it isn't with Sung Gyu then just come over to my house to get your stuff" Myung Soo called over his shoulder, waving goodbye to Dong Woo just before turning the corner.

 

"Myung Soo-ssi!" Dong Woo groaned, praying that perhaps his friend would come back around the corner in a second. Unfortunately the Gods weren't listening to him today, and Myung Soo didn't magically show up once more. Sighing, he turned back to Sung Gyu's bag and started going through the contents in search of his prized possesions.

 

After glancing over his shoulder to make sure Dong Woo hadn't decided to give chase, Myung Soo picked up his pace in order to make it home before dark. He had meant to come home before lunch, since he was a little worried about leaving Yoogeun and Seo Hyeon in the care of a total stranger, but one thing had led to another and before he realized it he had been wandering around town with the guys for the remainder of the day. For all he knew, the kids could be in the hands of some crazy kidnapper who was currently trying to drown them. Or something.

 

"That's just stupid. Stop letting your imagination get the best of you and calm down"   Myung soo thought, rolling his eyes. Seriously, the likelihood of anything happening to the twins was about as much as a meteorite coming out of the sky and killing him. Absolutely none. They were probably just playing with their new babysitter, no care in the world as they did so. The one he should be worrying about was himself, not the kids.

 

"Seventeen years old and I'm being babysat like a child" Myung Soo thought aloud, scuffing his sneakers against the concrete sidewalk. He had tried talking his parents into allowing him to look after the twins while they were gone, but his stupid mom just didn't seem to have any confidence in him. One would assume that after nearly two decades of living with Myung Soo she would realize that he wasn't going to do anything stupid, especially when it came to the twins, but apparently the woman was more stubborn than one would think.

 

Sighing, Myung Soo finished the rest of his journey in aggravated silence, finally coming to the end of his travels at the front doorstep of his house. Inside he could hear Yoogeun and Seo Hyeon playing, loudly, up in what sounded like Seo Hyeon's room. Already he could tell that this was going to be a very long, very loud night. Inhaling deeply to steel himself for the twin's energy, Myung Soo fished around inside his pant's pockets for the house key his parents had given him.

 

After a second, though, he realized that the door was already unlocked. Surprised, Myung Soo turned the doorknob just to be sure and, as expected, the door opened. Apparently the babysitter hadn't bothered locking the door behind herself when she came in the house. "And I'm the irresponsible one?" Myung Soo muttered, remembering the many times his mother had accused him of being a childish boor who couldn't take care of a ghost, let alone two children. Yet here she was, hiring someone who didn't even know to lock the front door.

 

Such was life when you lived with a hypocrite like Eun Sun. Aggravating, with a side of tiresome.

 

"Hello?" Myung Soo called out, his timing perfectly aligned with a loud sqeal of delight from upstairs. They certainly hadn't hear him after that display of lung capacity. Sighing, Myung Soo kicked off his shoes into the corner and headed towards the stairs. As he went, he poked his head briefly inside the kitchen to see if the twins had gotten the chance to eat. It looked like they had, although Myung Soo couldn't say he was impressed with the fact that this babysitter had left all the filthy dishes in the sink.

 

Shaking his head, Myung Soo resolved to call her out on the irresponsible behavior she had been exhibiting and headed up the stairs. It was easy enough to find the three, all Myung Soo had to do was follow the sounds of laughing children. The hard part was steeling himself enough to go inside, where he knew the sound would be amplified to deafening proportions.

 

"The prince, having slain the dragon, raised his blood covered sword... are you guys sure this is the book your parents read you?" an unfamiliar voice asked from the opposite side of the door. That probably belonged to the babysitter... but she sounded awfully young. Normally they got middle-aged ahjummas who would dote over the twins and entirely ignore him. Apparently Dong Woo had known what he was talking about when he asked if the babysitter was hot.

 

"Yup!" Seo Hyeon and Yoogeun chimed.

 

"It just seems so... mature" the babysitter sighed. Something about her voice sounded... familiar, though. Like he had heard her somewhere before, but couldn't recall who the voice belonged to.

 

"You guys not like the performance or something? I'd be happy to do better if one of you would just volunteer. Maybe you, L?"

 

L... who called him L? Actually, that question wasn't very helpful. Practically the entire student at Woollim High had taken to calling him by his nickname, and even some of the faculty had begun using this name when addressing him. Of course... who would be talking about a performance? It wasn't like he had ever involved himself with the drama club, or anyone else who would perform, so why would a performance be mentioned?

 

Now more curious than he cared to admit, even to himself, Myung Soo cautiously pushed open the door to Seo Hyeon's bedroom to see just who this mysterious stranger was. It wasn't hard to spot her, in all her sparkly, pink glory as she sat perched on the edge of Seo Hyeon's bed, the twin's story book opened on her lap. Frowning thoughtfully, Myung Soo tried to put a name to the face that was framed by dark brown curls and a thin white sparkly veil from Seo Hyeon's dress up collection.

 

Princess was the first word that came to mind "No duh. She's dressed up like Barbie on her wedding day" Myung Soo scoffed, his frown deepening as he began getting serious about the challenge of identifying this girl. The next word was Warrior, which since it didn't fit her current outfit was probably more on the right track. What kind of girl addressed herself as a Princess Warrior, though?!

 

Princess Warrior... Warrior Princess? That sounded more correct... but still, what kind of girl in their right mind would be proud to call herself a Warrior Princess? Especially when talking to him? Most girls always tried to come across as extremely feminine and desirable, all in the name of impressing the Kingka L long enough to get a date with him. Or even to get into his pants, on occasion.

 

"Warrior Princess..."

 

"I honestly have no idea. She just came up to me, got pissed, and tried to crush me"

 

Now he remembered. This was the girl who had started that fight not too long ago, and the one who had gotten herself the title of The Warrior Princess of Woollim High. Nae Yeong Hwa, probably the only girl in the entire school that had the respect of everyone, including, although they would never admit it, the faculty. She was quite the impressive person, having pushed aside all the social norms and become stronger than most guys, having defeated the previous Warrior King before she had even gotten into the school.

 

A little ninth grader taking down the big bad King, then a senior at Woollim High. It had been a thorn in the school's side until they learned that she was willing to step up as the new Warrior, which then got her a free pass to popularity. Which she sent through a shredder and threw back in the gift giver's faces. That had always annoyed Myung Soo to no end, how she had so easily given up what most people, himeself included, worked incredibly hard to achieve.

 

"And now she's babysitting?" Myung Soo thought aloud, realizing that he was having trouble believing what was right before his very eyes. After all, it wasn't very common for a girl rumored to have defeated the old King with a single punch to be playing dress up with a pair of four year old twins.

 

"Dong Woo... you want that picture, you've got it" Myung Soo thought as he pulled out his cellphone.

                   

"I'm huuuuungry" Yoogeun suddenly announced, flopping onto the ground and discarding his sword. Glancing down at her brother, Seo Hyeon debated on whether her own stomach should start complaining and, after coming to a decision, flopped down beside him.

 

"Me tooooo" she whined, rolling onto her back and looking towards the door. Sighing, Yeong Hwa stood up and stretched out her arms. It was a little difficult to move in the costume, since it was made for a body much smaller than her own, but besides the tiara squeezing a bit and the tutu being almost painfully too small it wasn't all that bad.

 

"OPPA!!!" Seo Hyeon suddenly shrieked, joyfully leaping to her feet and practically teleporting to the open doorway. Surprised, Yeong Hwa looked up to see where the little girl was heading, which was straight to a young man standing in the doorway, slightly startled by his little sister's sudden appearance. Of course, he actually wasn't all that young, at least in comparison to her own age. If he wasn't the same age as her, then he couldn't be more than a year older than her.

 

Actually, besides being close to her age, he seemed awfully.... familiar...

 

"L!" Yeong Hwa gasped, her hands flying up to the tiara she was wearing and quickly discarding it onto Seo Hyun's bed. Looking up from greeting his little sister, L met Yeong Hwa's eyes and allowed a slow smile to creep across his face. He knew who she was just as much as she knew who he was, and he was obviously overjoyed to see the Warrior Princess in such a situation. Swallowing hard, Yeong Hwa finished discarding her princess costume and tried to act as cool as she possibly could under the mounting pressure.

 

Glancing back at Yeong Hwa, Seo Hyeon shook her head defiantly. "His name isn't L, silly!" she sighed, beginning to grow tired of having to correct her Unni all the time. Mimicking Seo Hyeon's sigh, Yeong Hwa rolled her eyes and sat down heavily on the edge of the bed. Hurt by her Unni's sudden change in personality, Seo Hyeon clung tightly to L until he finally lifted her up onto his hip.

 

"You must be our babysitter, then?" L asked as he patted Yoogeun, who had also rushed up to greet his big brother, on the head. Nodding sullenly, Yeong Hwa began thinking frantically about how she could rectify the situation. Honestly, though, she couldn't see a way out of this mess. "Then feel free to call me Myung Soo. Since we'll be getting closer this summer, after all" he said, putting on his best fake smile.

 

"Glad to, Myung Soo" Yeong Hwa muttered, spitting out his name like it was some sort of poison. Unfazed by her distress, Myung Soo adjusted Seo Hyeon to a more comfortable position and then left the room. Sighing, Yeong Hwa reluctantly followed him.

 

"I hope you don't mind, but I took your picture earlier. I thought my mom might want to see how well you're getting along with the twins... and maybe a few others will want to see it, too" Myung Soo announced as he descended the stairs, both twins clutching tightly to him as they went. Pausing at the top of the stairs, Yeong Hwa attempted to murder the arrogant Kingka with her laser stare, burrowing into the back of his head. Unfortunately, Myung Soo's brains didn't explode and she was forced to resign herself to this fate.

 

He had obviously been threatening her, although what he wanted in return for keeping hushed up about the pictures Yeong Hwa didn't know. Hopefully nothing too terrible, but with people like Myung Soo you could just never know.

 

"So what do you want to eat?" Yeong Hwa asked as she followed Myung Soo into the kitchen.

 

"Whatever you feel like making. I'm not picky" he replied, keeping his back to her as he helped Seo Hyeon into her seat. Nodding, Yeong Hwa crossed over to the cupboards and began rummaging around inside to try and find something that she could cook with. Obviously there were a lot of ingredients, Eun Sun kept a well stocked kitchen after all, but Yeong Hwa wasn't sure what she was supposed to use all of them for. Besides Gaeran Tost-u, she didn't know much when it came to cooking.

 

"Yoogeun wants Tost-u!" Seo Hyeon piped up from behind, speaking for bother herself and her brother. Glancing over her shoulder, Yeong Hwa could tell that both kids really did have their hearts set on the dish. Sighing, she ran a hand through her hair and nodded, unsure of whether she should encourage them eating the same thing for all three meals of the day. Right now, though, the moral dillema wasn't enough to keep her from making the easy, tasty dish, though.

 

"Alright, Gaeran Tost-u it is!" Yeong Hwa cheered, smiling at the twins and pointedly avoiding Myung Soo's gaze. Yes she was acting a bit childish about the whole situation, but after working for this long on her reputation, having it be so obviously threatened wasn't the best feeling in the world.

 

Turning her back once more to the three, Yeong Hwa started pulling out the ingredients. Behind her, Myung Soo pulled out his cellphone once more when it began buzzing, announcing that a new message had arrived.

 

Hey! You still haven't sent me a picture of this new babysitter!

Don't tell me you forgot all about it!!!

I didn't forget. Just gimme 1 second

and I'll send it right now.

Alright...

Glancing up to make sure Yeong Hwa wasn't paying attention to him, he didn't want her destroying his phone, or whatever rebels like her did, Myung Soo flipped over to his camera. When he was positive she wouldn't be looking over, he quickly held up the phone and snapped a shot of her back, the flower apron she had donned just barely visible in the photo. Then he once more hid the cellphone under the table and got ready to send the picture to Dong Woo.

Seriously! Stop keeping me waiting!

You have 0 patience, don't you? Here's the photo you wanted...

Dude! you can only see her back :(

Well come over if your so damn curious!

Nah, she looks pretty cute even just from the back ;D

U should introduce us tomorrow!

 

L?

 

Hey U still there???

 

Okay... CYA tomorrow!

 

 


Author's Note: I would have posted an actual picture of Yeong Hwa but... I'm too lazy to try and find one :P
 Instead, I'll just put another random gif :D

<---- D'aaaaaw <3