Awakening

Free Falling

 

I could feel myself lift from my physical body. I heard church bells and pictured myself floating among angels being carried away. But something didn’t feel right. My spirit suddenly started to feel heavy and the white dream faded. 
I heard the sounds of something rolling. What, I wasn’t sure. I heard something rustling. It was quiet, and then I heard muffled sounds, one of a higher pitch and one of a lower pitch. Was it God talking to one of his angels, because I didn’t think that’s what God sounded like. Then I heard a middle tone sound that was much louder than the rest. It sounded familiar but I couldn’t pin point it. It was too muffled and far away for me to distinguish. 
 
I heard a clacking sound and more noises that seemed too jumbled for me to tell apart. Finally, I willed my eyes to open and for them to see again. At first, all I saw a bright light and closed my eyes. Does heaven really look that, artificial?
I tried again this time squinting. Everything was so blurry, like an camera before it focuses. I tried to concentrate on one thing, anything but everything was white, so I had nothing to focus on. I had been trying so hard to see that I hadn’t realized how sore I was until my own eyes were exhausted from squinting. 
Finally I gave up and just looked into the light. After a moment, I could see through it and saw the light bulb. I smiled at my own stupidity and pushed the light away from my face. I sat up slowly, acknowledging the fact that I was obviously injured. I tried to recall my last memory. I crossed my arms and thought, then it hit me. I remember standing up against a wall ready to defend. Shin Sang pounced and then I felt my stomach rip. What did he do? Then I remember seeing everyone’s tears and saying goodbye to each person. 
So I’m obviously at the hospital. I’m not like every other stupid girl who asks ‘Where am I?’. If you’re injured you’re going to go to the hospital. Because I’m pretty sure that none on my friends know how to take care of someone who looks like they are going to bloody die.
But the question is, where is everybody and what exactly happened after I “died”? And how long have I been asleep?
 
Suddenly, I hear a door open and shut. At first I didn’t really notice there was a sound, but then I backtracked and remembered. I looked up to where the door was and saw Ji Yong standing there. His eyes full of shock and tears. He quickly walked to my hospital bed and hugged me. He didn’t say anything. He just embraced me and I welcomed it. What did he go through? 
He finally looked up after the silent hug. His tears were already flowing. 
“Don’t cry baby.” I said. I wiped away his tears. But more just poured out. I kissed his cheek.
“I’m fine. See?” I said smiling. He just choked up and sobbed. I hugged him tight and hushed him. He was like a big baby.
 
Finally he stopped crying.
“Mianhe.” he bowed. Before he could raise his head again I slapped him upside the back of his head. He looked shocked.
“Yah! Don’t be apologizing!” I yelled. “I should be the one apologizing. I’m the one who put you in this state. Mianhe.” I said quietly and bowed. When I looked up I touched one of the many scars on his face. “Emotionally and physically.”
“As long as you’re alright, I don’t care for these.” He put his hand over mine while it was still on his cheek. “Emotionally though, I went through a lot. But now that you’re safe, my challenge is over.” He said smiling at me. 
“I swear I thought you died!” He suddenly exploded.
“Good thing I’m not right?” I said smiling. He couldn’t help but smile at my goofy one.
 
“Hey, how long have I been out? And what happened after I knocked out exactly?” I asked. He was now on my bed next to me. He laid there with his arms behind his head. I watched as he thought. 
“You’ve been out for a week now. The doctors said if you stayed asleep any longer you’d go into a coma. As for what happened, well once you knocked out, or ‘died’ as all of us thought, Seung Hyun Hyung called an ambulance. We explained the situation. Unfortunately, the press found out that you were rushed to the hospital. But not everything. Don’t worry. We told them that you fell really ill at the studio and needed to be rushed to the hospital.” I nodded taking everything.
“Where are the others?” I asked looking around. 
“Hey, am I not good enough for you? Now you need the others guys too?” He asked turning on his side, holding his head up with his arm. I pushed him, and smiled.
“No trust me, you’re plenty.” I said. 
“What’s that supposed to me?!” He asked sitting up. I laughed until my stomach literally hurt. I clutched it and laughed in pain.
“Yah, don’t hurt yourself!” He said laying me down and putting his hand on my stomach. 
“You’re the one who made me laugh!” I said pouting and crossing my arms. He smiled shaking his head.
 
Suddenly, the door opened and the others rushed in.
“Jin Jae!” the girls ran at me hugging me from every direction. Ji Yong jumped out of the way. They bombarded me with questions and all I could do was smile at them with a confused look on my face.
This was going to be a long month.