Chapter 18

9 MONTHS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She was driving while wiping the tears rolling down her cheeks. It didn’t stop and her eyesight became blurry because of it. Out of nowhere, she saw a figure crossing the road. She had no idea who, but her mind told her to avoid it. Out of shock, she turned her wheels to the right, changing her direction. She thought she was still having her car under control, but the surprise turn swayed her car and her tires lost grip. She ramped up a tree and she felt her whole body screaming in pain. There was just pain and then her world turned dark. In the cold night, she was battling to survive.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sakura ran through the double doors and got to the receptionist. He felt his heart beating even more the moment he reached there. One thing that was certain, he was a total mess.

 

“C-Can I know… Kwon Eunbi?”

 

He couldn’t even complete his sentences. He prayed hard the nurse in front of him would understand what he meant.

 

“And who are you?”

 

“Miyawaki Sakura, her husband… please…”

 

“Mrs. Miyawaki is still in surgery. Please follow me.”

 

Sakura let the nurse lead him far into the hospital until they reached an operation room. They stopped when a guy in a uniform walked towards them. The nurse gave a slight nod towards the officer and left the two back to her work. Sakura looked up at him.

 

“Where’s…. my wife?”

 

“I’m Officer Choi Yena. You must be her husband. Sir, Mrs. Miyawaki was involved in an accident earlier. A passerby called an ambulance, and she was brought here. They told me she needed surgery, but I don’t know anything else. Do you have anyone that you should call, sir?”

 

Sakura barely registered anything that Officer Choi had told him. His eyes fixed on the light sign written ‘Operation Room’. His wife was in there and it was all his fault. Yena knew how hard it was for this man to face this kind of thing, so he didn’t mind when Sakura barely focused on him.

 

“Mr. Miyawaki?”

 

Yena called again and this time he got a response from him.

 

“I… called my dad and hers. They are on… their way.”

 

Sakura choked on his words. He was barely holding on.

 

“How about friends? You know, to accompany you here?”

 

“Chaewon and Minju.”

 

Yena felt sorry for this guy. He placed his hand on his shoulder.

 

“Sir, be strong. I know it is hard for you, but you have to stay strong for her. Only then, she can fight her way back.”

 

Sakura looked down on the floor. He finally cried his eyes out. He dropped on the floor and cried even more. Reality finally hit him. He might lose her and the last thing he did was hurt her. Yena knelt down and pulled the crying guy for a hug. Miyawaki Sakura that he saw on the TV was totally different from the one he saw tonight. Like his mom once said, a hug can cure any sadness. Until his friends were here, Yena thought of holding him for a while.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I was avoiding her before the accident.”

 

Yena looked to his right and saw Sakura’s head leaning back to the wall. His eyes were red and puffy.

 

“I’m sure that had nothing to do with the accident, sir.”

 

“I might have lost her tonight and the last thing I did was avoid her. I’m a bad person.”

 

Yena saw tears come from his eyes once again. Whatever happened, he knew Sakura might have regretted doing it. He prayed that Eunbi would be okay so that this guy could start tossing the guilt away.

 

“One bad mistake doesn’t mean you’re a bad person. That means you’re human and a human makes mistakes. She’s fighting inside and I’m sure if she can see you now, she would want you to keep on cheering for her.”

 

Sakura closed his eyes.

 

“Thank you, Officer.”

 

“You’re welcome.”

 

“Sakura!”

 

Both Yena and Sakura turned to their right and saw Minju was half running towards them with Chaewon following closely from behind. Sakura stood up but the moment Minju reached him, she slapped him hard on his right cheek, almost making him stumbled a little. He didn’t dare to look up because he knew Minju was angry at him.

 

“Did you know she was crying because of you?! Did you know she was hurting when you avoided her?! How dare you?!”

 

If it wasn’t for Chaewon holding her back, Minju would have slapped his face again. She was so mad at him for doing this to Eunbi.

 

“Minju! Calm down!”

 

“NO! HE’S THE REASON WHY EUNBI IS IN THAT OPERATION ROOM!”

 

“I know but hurting him won’t help Eunbi at all!”

 

Sakura didn’t utter a single word. He knew it was his fault. It was all his fault.

 

“I’m… sorry… I’m so… sorry.”

 

Sakura dropped on his knees and cried once again. Minju stopped her tantrum while Chaewon was already looking down at his friend.

 

“I’m sorry… please… I just want her back.”

 

Minju looked at Chaewon before going back to Sakura. This was her first-time witnessing Sakura so broken like this. He had never shed tears for anyone before and watching him crumpled down because of Eunbi was a sight that she wished she wouldn’t have to witness.

 

“Please… I just want her back…”

 

Chaewon let Minju go when she knelt down and held onto Sakura who cried on her shoulder. Officer Choi looked at Chaewon.

 

“I think I’ll just wait downstairs. She’s still in surgery. Please do inform me when they have finished. Have a good day, sir.”

 

Chaewon gave a weak nod and Yena left the three of them. Chaewon knelt beside Sakura.

 

“She’ll be fine. I know she will.”

 

And just like that, they tried to console him and prayed for Eunbi’s survival. Only that matters at the moment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Dad, I’m sorry.”

 

Hodong shook his head and tightened his hold on Sakura. Watching his son crying so much like this hurting him. The last time he saw him crying was when he lost his wife, and his son lost his mother. Sakura cried so much that day and he promised himself that he would do anything just to make sure he wouldn’t cry like that ever again. But not tonight. Tonight, Sakura was in a mess.

 

“Shh, it’s okay, Kkura. I’m sure Eunbi will be fine. She’s one tough girl.”

 

Sakura hadn’t spoken much other than saying sorry all the time. Hodong looked at Chaewon.

 

“Chaewon, can you pick Changmo up from the airport when he arrives? He’s coming with Wonyoung.”

 

“Sure, Uncle. Don’t worry.”

 

“Thank you, Chaewon.”

 

Hodong brought Sakura on one of the chairs and both sat down with Minju and Chaewon occupied the seats a bit further from them. Sakura had stopped crying, but Hodong didn’t let him go. Then the light signage turned off.

 

“Kkura, they’re done.”

 

Sakura looked up and wiped his remaining tears. A doctor came out and it was Sakura who made his way first followed closely by Chaewon, Minju and Hodong.

 

“How’s my wife, doctor?”

 

The female doctor pulled off her mask.

 

“Are you her only family members?”

 

There was uncertainty in her voice and its frightened Sakura. He had a bad feeling about this.

 

“Her family is on their way here. Doc, please tell us how’s she?”

 

Sakura heard her faint sigh. But he kept on telling himself that everything would be okay.

 

“She came with head trauma and body injuries due to the impact. Apparently, her stomach probably received a lot of force when it hit the steering wheel. The baby…”

 

“My baby…”

 

“We couldn’t save your baby. I’m sorry, Mr. Miyawaki, but we managed to save Mrs. Miyawaki. Her vitals showed positive sign but she’s in a coma state and we have no idea when she will wake up.”

 

Sakura stumbled backwards and kept on saying no. He couldn’t believe this. He lost their baby and now Eunbi might not wake up at all.

 

“NO! YOU LIE!”

 

Sakura turned around and kicked the trash bin with everything he got. Hodong with Chaewon helped restrain him while Minju backed away making space for them. The female doctor screamed for nurses and said something to them. One of them brought back a syringe and gave it to her.

 

“Hold him!”

 

Hodong and Chaewon kept on holding onto the mad Sakura while the female doctor injected something in him.

 

“Eunbi!”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter