Chapter 3

The Substitute Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bella had finished bathing and she wore a v-neck top and knee-length skirt.

She sat in front of the body-length mirror in her room, staring into a blank space.

 

She couldn't comprehend that the same Baekhyun, Kira, and her family belittled and disgraced turned out to be South Korea's most wealthy billionaire.

 

She felt cold chills of shock and fear enveloping her. With a deep sigh, she packed her hair into a ponytail. She wanted to leave the room to the living room, but she wasn't sure how she would react to Baekhyun when he talked to her, or how she was going to relate with him.

 

After much thinking, she decided to stay back in the room. She laid on the bed as that was all she could do, and unknowingly she slept off.


 

                            🌹🌹🌹🌹


 

Baekhyun had just bid goodbye to his close friend, Jongin. He took a walk around his compound, trying to clear his mind of unwanted thoughts.

 

He walked around the mansion, he had missed his home so much. He was glad to be back home after many months of being away from his home, but his heart wasn't.

 

After a twenty-minute walk around, he went back inside. He glanced at the wall clock, it was past 11:am. He settled on one of the couches and he the television.

 

He wanted to get his mind away from Kira, from his marriage to a woman he doesn't love. He just wanted to distract himself, but he soon regretted it. 

 

Wilson was giving one of his political speeches and beside him was his wife, Kira. She was happy, full of smiles.

 

Baekhyun didn't change the channel, he rather switched off the television and just shut his eyes, but he suddenly thought about Bella. He opened his eyes and looked around, she was nowhere to be seen.

 

Jongin had already told him about his discussion with Bella earlier. He got up and went to her room. They needed to have a real talk about everything.

 

"Bella, we need to talk." He said politely before knocking. It wasn't long enough and the door was open.

 

Bella lowered her eyes when she came out of the room, she couldn't look him in the eyes.

 

"Good morning, Sir." She stuttered.

 

"Good morning. We need to talk, let's go to the living room.

 

When they got to the living room, Bella was still standing while Baekhyun was already sitting down.

 

"Why are you standing?" 

 

"Nothing. I'm okay this way." She lied and Baekhyun understood her situation.

 

"Look Bella, I know that Jongin has told you who I am, but that shouldn't be a problem for you. You're my wife now and I want you to act like that. I won't hurt you, so please feel free and sit down."

 

Bella was amazed by his gentle words, and how calmly he spoke. She sat down and smiled softly.

 

"Thank you and I'm sorry." She apologized.

 

"What are you sorry about?" The billionaire asked. All that happened had nothing to do with her.

 

"Everything. I'm sorry for all that my cousin, aunt, and uncle did to you." She sounded apologetic, but Baekhyun shook his head.

 

"This is why I said we need to talk. Everything that happened has nothing to do with you. I got married to you and I take responsibility for that. You're my wife and I will treat and take good and proper care of you and your family. I will make sure you have the freedom to do anything you want to do, and do whatever you want. But, what I will not take is you hurting me or betraying me for the sake of money. If you do that, I will make sure you never see the sunrise again and the same punishment will be given to your family. Got it?" Baekhyun wasn't frowning, but he was dead serious and Bella noticed it.

 

"I swear to you today that I won't hurt you, I won't betray you and I won't let anyone hurt you. You don't have to worry about getting me or my personal family anything because I don't want anything and I've got no family because I lost both parents back in high school. You don't have to worry about me because I will never hurt you." Bella was serious, but Baekhyun felt sad hearing what she said about her parents.

 

"I'm sorry about your parent's demise. It must have been hard on you."

 

"Yes, it was. I had to struggle to graduate from high school. I got different part-time jobs and through that, I got into the university and graduated. Life has been very difficult for me, but I'm grateful for life." She smiled and Baekhyun found her smile so beautiful. He wondered how she was able to still smile after everything she had been through.

 

"I'm sorry, Bella." Baekhyun wasn't happy at all. He began to wonder how she ended up with the Lee family. He could still recall how Kira referred to Bella as a loser, and he wanted to know more about her.

 

"How did you end up with the Lee family?" 

 

"It was during my final year in the university. I was in class when I suddenly collapsed. When I regained consciousness, I was in the hospital and the doctor told me that I was suffering from heart disease which had led to a weak heart. I needed money for my treatment, so I called my mom's elder sister, Aunt Cathy and that was how she gave me the money for the treatment, but on the condition that I become their house helper and I agreed to it. That's how I ended up staying with them." Bella explained everything but Baekhyun wasn't surprised at the wicked behavior of the Lee family.

 

"You've suffered unjustly. I'm sorry about that. But how's your health update? Are you perfectly fine now?"

 

"Don't be sorry, Sir. You did nothing wrong. My health is stable, but my heart is weak. I get easily affected by stress, but I'm used to it." Bella sighed and lowered her eyes to look at her fingers as she thought about everything.

 

"Is it hereditary?" Baekhyun asked sadly.

 

"No, it's not. When things got too difficult for me, I sold our little house to complete my education. I needed a place to stay, so I rented an apartment but the environment was highly polluted by carbon and it affected me. I partly caused this to myself." 

 

"Don't say that, It's not your fault. I will get you treated and make sure you're perfectly and well treated. I promise." 

 

"Thank you so much, Sir. I'm grateful." She smiled again, and Baekhyun chuckled.

 

"How old are you?" He asked while smiling.

 

"I'm 27 years old."

 

"And I'm 33. Do you think it's ideal to address me as Sir?"

 

"But you're far greater and higher than I would ever be. I can't think of any other way to address you other than Sir." She explained and Baekhyun shook his head.

 

"Don't say that. You're my wife and whatever is mine belongs to you. From today, call me by my name, Baekhyun. Okay?" 

 

"Yes, Baekhyun." Her voice sounded so sweet and innocent and the billionaire found himself smiling again. 

 

"That's good." He stood up and walked over to Bella. "Our wedding gifts arrived an hour ago, it's over there. let's go unwrap our gifts." He pointed towards the dining room and Bella swiftly turned around to where Baekhyun had pointed, and her eyes doubled in size.

 

She was so excited and immediately stood up. She was so scared of Baekhyun earlier that she didn't see the heap of gifts in the dining section.

She trailed after Baekhyun with her face filled with smiles like a little child.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter