Chapter 16

The Substitute Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What's going on?” Mira asked as she walked into her parent's living room. She looked tense and worried. 

 

She was having fun with some friends when her mother called her, sounding so disturbed and worried.

 

“You sounded so off on the phone. Is everything alright?” She sat next to her mother, feeling scared.

 

“Mia isn't in support of you getting married to Baekhyun anymore. She told me to my face that she had accepted Bella as her daughter, and that she was going to protect her at all costs. She went back on her words and even lied that you said you have no romantic feelings for Baekhyun. Mia is so unreliable and unreasonable.” Bora said angrily while tapping her phone on her lap.

 

Mira sighed. She felt relieved knowing that nothing bad had happened to her mother or family.

 

“You have to calm down Mom. Aunt Mia told the truth. I told her I'm not romantically interested in Baekhyun, and that's true. He's someone I respect a lot and someone I also fear. Yes, I was in love with Baekhyun. I mean, he's every woman's dream, he's handsome, wealthy, and his looks are godlike, so I was deeply in love with him, but then I witnessed his firsthand anger the day Aunt Mia took me to his mansion in London. The way he talked to his mother was scary. He was calm, but his eyes were dark and I saw nothing but pure irritation and anger. Also, do you know that Mrs Cathy and her family are all in jail with life imprisonment because they hurt his wife? Bella.” Mira smiled and caressed her mother’s hand.

 

“Baekhyun's love for his wife is the strongest and purest, so please forget about me marrying Baekhyun because it will never happen,” Mira said calmly, but Bora folded her fit and shook her head. 

 

“I will never let that happen. Baekhyun is supposed to be your husband, you should be the one called a billionaire’s wife and not that worthless low life. I will make sure I separate them from each other, till then, I will never rest.” Bora was furious and so was Mira. She stood up and glared at her mother. 

 

“You have to stop this madness, Mom. You're talking about a very dangerous path, a scary one at that. If you do anything to hurt Bella or Baekhyun, then be rest assured that you're doomed. Baekhyun will stop at nothing till he completely ruins you and everything you have ever loved. So please, I'm begging you to stop. You're not doing this for me, and you know that, so please stop.” She pleaded, but Bora smiled angrily.

 

“I'm not doing this for you?” She stood up to meet with her daughter. “Of course, I'm not doing this for you and that's the truth. I trained you to be this good so that you will someday get married to a wealthy man and I can have all the wealth and riches in this world, but you're crushing my dreams. I've worked so hard to come this far, I won't let any ungrateful orphan I saved from an orphanage home ruin my plan.” Bora had a sinister smirk on her lips when she saw how shocked and pale Mira was.

 

“Mom.” Mira walked closer to her mother, she couldn't feel her legs, but she pushed forward, completely ignoring her cold feet and hands. She gently touches her mother's hand before holding it. “What are you saying, Mom?” Her voice was shaking, her eyes were teary, she was scared, but she had to ask.

 

Bora saw pain in her daughter’s eyes, she saw despair and she loved it. She walked closer to Mira and caressed her face. 

 

“I'm so sorry you had to know the truth this way. You were just a tiny baby with no ray of hope when I adopted you. I took good care of you and loved you as my very own. I've never asked for anything from you until now, so you have to grant my wish. You will seduce Byun Baekhyun and get married to him either by hook or crook. Not for you, but for me. That's all I want and I will get it.” She smiled and patted her face before walking away, leaving Mira in a state of shock and despair.

 

Mira couldn't move her legs, she had tears rolling down her cheeks as she watched her mother walking away. All her life she had seen Bora as her mother, her biological mother. She thought her mother loved her, but she was wrong all along. Everything was a lie, her life was a lie. She looked around, but she couldn't see any pictures of her childhood on the wall. All she could see were her graduation pictures and pictures of awards she had received back in the university and her career.

 

She brought her hands to her face and cried bitterly. She was hurt and depressed, she had no one to talk to and it was killing her. She grew up knowing that her Dad left them for another woman, that was what Bora told her. She dragged her weak feet out of the living room and she drove off.

 

She arrived at her apartment with tears in her eyes. She went to her room and lay on her bed. She began to think about what Bora said, about her being an orphan, and then forced her to seduce Baekhyun and get married to him.

 

“Why?” That was all Mira could say with tears rolling down her cheeks. “Why is my life like this?” She asked herself and continued crying for a few hours.

 

Her television was on, and Sehun was giving a speech regarding the recent criminal activities going on in society and how people should be more security conscious.

 

She managed a small smile and caressed the screen. “I can't even fall in love with a man of my choice. I can't love who I want to. My life is messed up and completely over.” She sighed and went to the living room to get a bottle of alcohol to clear her head.


 

⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜


 

Bella was all cuddled up in Baekhyun’s arms in the living room watching a Christmas movie while eating some fruit and some cake. It was that time of the year, and it was looking like Christmas already due to the interior and exterior decorations. They wore a couple of Christmas pajamas and they were having a great time.

 

“It's three days until Christmas. What would you like us to do before Christmas?” Baekhyun asked while caressing Bella's hair.

 

“Let's go out. I want to go to different eateries, then we'll go gift shopping for us and the family. How about that?” Bella and Baekhyun seem to like the idea because his parents will be coming over for Christmas.

 

“That's an excellent idea. We'll start our fun outing from tomorrow.” He kissed her hair and she snuggled closer to him. They stayed awake till almost midnight before going to bed.

 

That night, Baekhyun left the room when Bella was fast asleep. He went to the security section to have a word with his bodyguards. 

 

“Good evening, boss.” The head bodyguard, Minho greeted.

 

Baekhyun smiled. “Good evening. I saw your missed calls earlier, but I was busy.” He sat down next to Minho. “Is something wrong?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“I'm not sure yet, but I saw someone suspicious around earlier, before I could check out who it was, the person was gone.” 

 

Baekhyun sighed. “Who could that be? I don't have any enemies and my wife doesn't either. Just who could that be?” Baekhyun asked with a disturbed heart.

 

Seeing how worried his boss has become, Minho decides to give the billionaire his word. 

“Don't worry boss. I will make sure no harm comes to ma'am Bella and you. I will get to the bottom of this in the morning. Please calm down.” He said and Baekhyun looked at him and smiled.

 

“Thanks, bro. Let me know of your findings tomorrow.” He turned around and walked away while many thoughts were going through his mind.

 

He stood beside their bedroom door admiring his beautiful sleeping wife, and immediately, all his worry was replaced with joy, happiness, and gratitude. He shut the door behind him and joined his wife on the bed. 

 

“My love.” He muttered as he embraced her closer to himself. “I will protect you with everything I have. I will make sure no one hurts you and our baby. I promise you.” He kissed her lips before switching off the room light.


 

⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜⚜


 

Mira was wide awake, she was sleep-deprived and her head was spinning with so many thoughts. 

 

She kept thinking about what her mother said, and the fact that she was not her mother's biological daughter. She opened another bottle of alcoholic wine and drank it all in one go.

 

She has been drinking alcohol ever since she got back from Bora’s apartment. Her head was crowded with thoughts, she was a complete mess both emotionally and physically.

 

After emptying the 6th wine bottle, Mira felt hot, extremely hot. She staggered her way from her room to the living room. She needs air and distraction. She needed to get away from everything and find peace if that was even possible.

 

She picked up her car keys and left her apartment with the lights on. She barely made it to her car and she drove off without a destination in mind.

 

She made it to the express road, and her vision was very blurry, but she didn't stop. She kept driving recklessly, and a white car started following her at a high speed, in no time, it overtook her and blocked her from going any further. 

 

However, she wasn't fast enough to stop the car, and she ended up hitting the side of the car, causing serious damage to the car before she stopped the engine.

 

She didn't come out of the car, rather she was mumbling things with her eyes closed as she had no idea about what happened.

 

The man in the white car came out from his now-damaged car and he frowned. He walked over to Mira's car and knocked on the car window glass, but Mira opened the door and managed her way out of the car.

 

The man said nothing but stared at her. He was mesmerized by her beauty despite her messy hair and puffy eyes.

 

“Hey, why did you block me from going further?” She asked while trying to maintain a steady balance as she was heavily drunk.

 

The man cleared his throat, and he walked closer to her.

“You were driving recklessly, and you even hit my car, yet you're asking me such a question. Have you any idea that I'm a detective and I could arrest you for reckless driving?” His tone was deep and filled with anger and Mira knew he was angry.

 

She walked closer to him and looked at him properly, and she smiled after recognizing his face.

 

“Detective Oh Sehun?” She smiled and bowed, but she reeked of alcohol. “I've been watching you on television, I've always wished to meet you in person and here you are.” She chuckled and hugged the detective, but Sehun gently pushed her away, he wasn't happy about her behavior.

 

“Behave yourself or you will regret your actions greatly. How can you be driving when drunk? Do you want to die?” Sehun was upset about the situation that he had to ask.

 

“Yes.” Mira's voice changed drastically as she replied to his last question.

 

“I want to die. I want to end it all, so please shoot me to grant my wish.” She said and sat down on the ground. Her eyes were puffy, her cheeks red from the alcohol and cold, but she didn't bother.

 

Sehun looked at her for a while, and he decided to bend over next to her. He could tell that she was in pain.

 

“I won't hold what happened against you. It's already last and you need to home right now.” Sehun said, but she shook her head.

 

“I don't want to go back home. Can you just kill me, please? It will make my life much easier and I will be at peace.” She said, but Sehun shook his head.

 

“What's your house address?” 

 

“House?” She mumbled. “I don't have a house.” She looked at the detective, her eyes filled with sadness and Sehun saw it all.

 

He sighed and stood upright. He looked down at his wristwatch, it was already past midnight, it would be wicked of him to leave a drunk lady alone in the middle of nowhere.

 

“Get up and come with me.” He helped her up and led her to his car

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter