Chapter 7

The Substitute Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It has been a hectic day for Bella in the office. She had been working on the project, it was the main project for the year and needed to be done excellently.

 

She glanced at her wristwatch, it was time to go home, she needed to rest, she was exhausted and had a warm bath. She thought about going to Baekhyun's office to find out if he was still in the office, but she let it be and headed out of the company.

 

When she approached the parking lot, she noticed that Baekhyun's car wasn't there. Which means he had gone home. She got into the car and was about to drive off, but one of the directors, a female named Irene appeared in front of her car with a bright smile.

 

Bella was quick to step out of the car, she walked up to the lady with a smile of her own.

 

"Sorry to bother you, but please can I join you in the car? My car is acting up, it won't start. Please." She pleaded with puppy eyes and Bella laughed.

 

"Hey, of course. Get in." 

 

They both got into the car and Bella drove off. "You're Miss Irene right?"

 

"Yes. And I'm your husband's cousin." Irene said and her words surprised Bella. 

 

"Wow. I didn't know." 

 

"I figured. It's not your fault though. Baekhyun isn't much of a talker. He's only fully open to those he has a deep connection to. For example, his family, and those he's deeply in love with. That's Baekhyun for you." Her words came off hurtful, but Bella couldn't agree less. Her husband isn't much of a talker.

 

She smiled, she could guess that Irene might already know about her loveless marriage to Baekhyun.

 

"I guess you know about the history behind our wedding?" Bella asked and Irene nodded. 

 

"Yeah. I was at the wedding, and when I saw you, I knew instantly that you were not that disgusting , Kira." Irene frowned as she spoke about Kira. "I never really liked her, so when Hana told me what transpired during the wedding, I felt sorry for Baekhyun, for you, but I was low-key happy about it. Baekhyun desires better. Not after all he had been through in the past."

 

"In the past? What happened to him?" Bella was curious. When it came to Baekhyun, she wanted to know everything about him.

 

Irene sighed. Thinking back to what happened to Baekhyun hurt her. She looked at Bella and shook her head. "I don't think I'm in the position to tell you that. He will come out open to you when he's ready. Baekhyun isn't a jerk, he will surely come open to you. I'm sorry Bella, but please try and understand my point." Irene sounded apologetic, but Bella understood what Irene meant and she was cool with it.

 

"It's fine." Bella smiled. They talked about other things, and soon both ladies became friends. When Bella dropped her off, she headed home, to see her husband. 

 

When she got home, she was expecting to see her husband, but she was rather welcomed by an empty apartment. She dropped her handbag on the couch and headed to the kitchen. She began to prepare dinner, Baekhyun's favorite food.

 

She kept thinking about her husband, she could only imagine what Baekhyun had gone through in the past. 

She reduced the flame and headed to her room to freshen up. She was tired and a  warm bath would soothe her tensed muscles.

She took her time bathing, and when she was done, she dried her hair with a soft towel. She was about to get dressed when she remembered what she had left on the cooker. She ran out of her room with a towel around her chest, and she rushed down to the kitchen to check on what was about to get burnt. Luckily, the food was intact. 

 

She sighed in relief after turning off the flames. She set everything in its rightful place and left the kitchen. She was about to shut the kitchen door when Baekhyun made his way into the living room along with his best friend Jongin.

 

Without thinking twice, Bella rushed back into the kitchen and shut the door. She began to panic, she didn't know what to do, so she shut herself inside. She couldn't go back to her room as she didn't want Baekhyun and Jongin to see her with only a towel on.

 

Meanwhile, Baekhyun and Jongin had already settled on the couch. They were discussing the recent embezzlement that occurred in Baekhyun's oil and gas company. It wasn't something funny to be ignored.

 

"Your wife isn't yet home?" Jongin asked and Baekhyun looked around.

 

"She's home. I can sense her." Baekhyun replied. He looked at the staircase, but Bella wasn't coming down. "Give me a second." He got up and headed straight to Bella's room. He was suddenly worried about her as he remembered that she has a weak heart.

 

He opened her room door in search of her, but she wasn't in the room, only her clothes were on the bed. He went back to the living room looking tense and worried.

 

On noticing his friend's sudden facial expression, Jongin could tell that something was not right.

 

"What's going on?" 

 

"I can't find her. She's back, but not in her room. Let me check the kitchen." Baekhyun went to the kitchen, the moment he opened the door, his eyes fell on Bella, and without thinking, he pulled her into his chest and embraced her.

 

He didn't know how worried he was until he heard her heart beating steadily. After a few minutes, he pulled away to look at her, that was when he noticed what she was wearing, but he said nothing.

 

"Are you alright? I've been looking for you all over." He sounded worried but his tone was soft.

 

"I'm so sorry for making you worried, just that I couldn't go back to my room wearing only a towel around my chest in front of you and Jongin. I was too embarrassed, that's why I stayed here instead." She lowered her head as she spoke and Baekhyun couldn't help but wonder why she was in the kitchen in the first place.

He was about to ask when he noticed that she had prepared dinner.

 

He looked at her for a while before smiling. "I will be right back." He left the kitchen smiling and Jongin knew that he had seen her.

 

"Found her?"

 

"Yeah. I will join you soon." Baekhyun went to her room. He took one of her bathrobes and went back to the kitchen.

 

"Take this. I will be in the living room." He left the kitchen and joined Jongin who was just smiling in the living room.

 

Bella wore the robe and walked out of the kitchen. She smiled as she approached Baekhyun and Jongin.

 

"Good evening." She greeted cutely and Jongin smiled.

 

"Beautiful evening." He replied and she bowed.

 

"I will be down shortly after changing." She ran up the stairs while Baekhyun's eyes were on her the whole time. 

 

Jongin, who had noticed Baekhyun's constant stare at his wife, chuckled. "You're in love with her." 

 

"What makes you think so?"

 

"Because it's obvious, man. You've fallen deeply in love with her and it's written all over your face. Why don't you open up to her?"

 

Baekhyun sighed and shook his head. "I can't open up to her or anybody. Yes, I've fallen deeply in love with her, I can't deny that, but the truth remains the same. I can't open up to anyone, I don't want to end up hating her or arresting her when she ends up hurting me just like before. I just want to keep things the way they are, that's all." 

 

"I see. I get your point, but I want you to remember that Bella is a beautiful lady with feelings. Right now she has no idea what she is to you, and remember, she's nothing but a human with feelings. If anyone approaches and she falls for that person, she will be the one to ask you for a divorce because she's not a greedy woman, and she's not after your wealth. Don't forget what I've just told you." Jongin told the truth and Baekhyun understood him well enough.

 

"But I don't want the past to repeat itself. I don't want to get hurt again."

 

"I get your point, but that's not enough reason. Believe me, you will be in a more devastating miserable state when Bella falls in love with another man and decides to end it all with you. If that's what you want, then be prepared for more heart pain." Jongin's words were harsh and hurtful, but it was the truth.

 

Baekhyun said nothing but stared at a blank space. He was lost in thought, all that Jongin had said was hitting him so hard, but he just couldn't open up.

 

"Thanks for your advice, I will think about it. But right now, I want to focus on my recent project and also the opening of my new tech company in London. I will be traveling tomorrow after dealing with the son of a that embezzled my money for the past two years."

 

"I wish you the best but don't forget to deploy advanced bodyguards to protect you and Bella. Since you've now made yourself known, you will need tight security so that what happened in the office earlier with Kira, or a more ugly situation won't repeat itself. You need to be alerted all the time." Jongin suggested, but Baekhyun chuckled.

 

"You know very well that hiring trained bodyguards is the last thing I will do. Remember it almost cost me my life. Sorry, but that's not going to happen. No one is going to attack or harm Bella and me, so don't worry about that." Baekhyun said, and Jongin sighed.

 

"If you say so then it's fine. I just hope you don't regret this." Jongin said. He was concerned about his friend's safety.

 

"I won't." Baekhyun smiled.

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

That night they had their dinner together. Bella was exhausted, but seeing Baekhyun beside her was her driving force. She was so happy when Baekhyun smiled at her when their eyes met.

 

Although they didn't talk much and they retired to bed early, the small talk they had made Bella happy. The fact that she could talk and smile with her husband was eno

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter