Doing What Matters

Moving On With You, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Midnight Coffee. Two things that aren't supposed to go together. Minju wasn't a fan of caffeine at night. But she does consume it on days she has night shifts or on days like this.

While the machine diligently brewed her capsuled long black, Minju's gaze drifted downward to her own hands. They lay on the countertop, fingers poised like a pianist's before a grand performance. Her hands were slender and capable, yet they held the weight of a daunting responsibility—a responsibility she willingly accepted.

Her mind wandered to the trials she had faced during her clinical rotations—cardiology, internal medicine, and general surgery, each demanding an insatiable hunger for knowledge and a thirst for understanding. As she deepens into her third year, emergency medicine, her ultimate calling, requires her to be a master of all.

As her coffee machine finally completes its work, her phone vibrates against the countertop, distracting her from her thoughts.

Yujin: Are you awake?

As Minju felt a smile tugging at the corners of her lips, she quickly suppressed the rising warmth of emotion.

Minju: I am now.

Yujin: Sorry. You can go back to sleep. I'll not disturb you.

The brunette leans against the counter.

Minju: You can't sleep?

She wonders what the girl is up to at two in the morning.

Yujin: I have too many things in my head. It's keeping me awake.

Minju looks at the cup of coffee and into the living room where all her work lies. She decided to make a little time for the girl.

Minju: Do you stay near the cafe?

Yujin: It's a walk. Why?

Minju: Then do you know where the redwood bridge is? The one behind the building.

Yujin: I do go there often. Near the park. Why?

Minju: I'll meet you there.

Yujin: Now?

Minju: Yes.

Standing by the sidewalk, not a single car drives by at this hour. Maybe a handful. Minju kicks the little pebbles, pacing along the side of the mini redwood bridge. She looks afar as she waits for the younger girl, a hand in her jacket pocket, the other holding onto a mini thermos flask.

A minute passes as a figure walks into the park, crunching on dried leaves. Minju squints to see Yujin all huddled up in a grey oversized hoodie with LONELY  embroidered across her chest in blue, waddling towards her. She waved slightly so Yujin could see her.

Minju couldn't give a reason for the unsteady beats of her heart when the younger girl approached a step at a time. The thought that she was here made her feel that way. A little nervous and a little joy. 

Yujin stops in front of her. "Of all places, you made me come here." She worries Minju might feel cold at this time of the night. 

The older girl shoves the warm thermos flask into her uninjured hand.

"What's this?"

"Hot chocolate." She went to sit on the bench as Yujin followed her. "What's on your mind?" She saw the girl struggling to open it and helped her.

Yujin thanks her. "You made me come here to ask me that?" She sees Minju nod. "Good choice." She tries the warm beverage, humming in delight when it soothes her taste buds.

"You made this?" She was impressed. "What can't you make?"

"It's instant."

"Still good." Yujin settles it aside and leans against the bench. She noticed Minju looking at her, waiting for her to say something. "Let's see..." She empties the air in her lungs with a sigh.

"It's just one of those days when my head has a mind of its own. The what-ifs that appear, questioning my entire existence on earth. Don't you have one of those days?" She looks at Minju who gives a nod. "But today's a little different. I feel like I've lost everything. I constantly blame myself for the things that happen because of me. If I didn't do this, would something else happen instead? I find myself regretting so many things to the point I can't keep track. And then I thought about that day she came back to find me." A shaky breath escapes her lips.

"Sometimes I find humans funny. They complain about something but end up doing the exact same thing. I'm being the person I hate. A hypocrite. I say I want to focus on what's in front of me but a part of me is still holding onto her. I don't like that I'm doing that. The fact that she told me she would change got me. What if I threw away whatever pride holding me back and gave her a second chance? What if I just let my hypocritical feelings take control of me? What if I just do what I could do and not think of the outcome or months after? Would it feel less miserable?" Yujin finds herself letting those tears create the shine in her eyes. "I hate that there's still a part of me that misses her."

Minju could feel the pain in her soft voice. No one would know what goes on in Yujin's head when she has that constant smile on her face. She could say the most heart-wrenching thing and still laugh it off when deep inside, she hurts the most.

She lifts the hood over Yujin's head after putting herself in her shoe. Minju knew she wanted to be alone and yet wanted someone to be there to listen.

Bewildered by that action, Yujin turns to face her. "What's that for?"

"Let it out," Minju said. "I don't mind." She puts her hands into her pockets. "I'll listen to all your what-ifs if you're comfortable."

"You make me wanna bawl my eyes out and laugh my off at the same time. What are you? You'll be a saint if you don't mind me talking about something completely irrelevant to your life." Yujin snickered. "You're not bored? I can assure you there are more what-ifs than three measly ones."

"I'll listen to all of it then." Minju looks at her with the most honest eyes Yujin has ever come across. As if the latter was telling her to put down those walls when she's with her. 

Yujin felt a wave of relief wash over her as she sat across from Minju. For so long, she had grown accustomed to people trying to fix her problems, offering well-intentioned but often overwhelming suggestions on how to improve her situation. But Minju was different. Yujin could see in Minju's eyes a genuine interest, a willingness to understand without immediately jumping in with solutions. It was as if Minju had created a safe space where Yujin could simply be herself, without the pressure to conform to anyone else's expectations or ideas. She's listening. Actually listening. 

Yujin realized that this was exactly what she needed. 

"Is that why you can't sleep? You have endless questions that don't come with the answers you want to hear."

"Partially." Yujin relaxes her shoulders, deciding to open up a little more. "I have a condition."

"A condition for me to listen or..."

"I'll only tell you." The younger girl does a little squint.

Minju had no clue what she was talking about. "What is it?"

"Insomnia."

The brunette drew her eyebrows together, getting a little worried but she didn't make it too obvious. "For how long?"

"I didn't get it checked. But for as long as I know, I've had trouble sleeping ever since I stepped into university. I thought it was just schoolwork keeping me up or the coffee that I consume at midnight. I do question how I can go a whole night without sleep on some days. It felt pretty normal, it is normal for architecture students to stay up, until recently. I feel like I can knock out anywhere during the day."

Minju knew her hunches were right. But to hear her say that the lack of sleep was normal, worried her. "Why didn't you get it checked?"

"I'm not dead."

Minju sighs in disappointment. "So you're going to wait until something happens and then go to the hospital?"

"It's not that serious." Yujin rolls her heel over a rock her feet found below the bench. "Are you worried for me?" She lightly nudges Minju's shoulder.

"You worry people a lot sometimes." The older girl suddenly stands up. "First the arm, now this. Is there anything else I should know? Don't surprise me with something life-threatening."

"Why are you standing up?"

"Do you actually live in a dorm? Don't you have friends who can look out for you?"

"Why do you sound mad?" Yujin backs down slightly like a puppy getting reprimanded for chewing a shoe. Minju didn't realise she came off too strong. She knew it wasn't anger but worry because it didn't seem like the latter was taking care of herself.

Silence took over as Yujin stared at her, wondering what she had done wrong.

"Let's go." Minju starts walking without hesitation, expecting the girl to follow. Yujin did, jogging after her. Realising she left the thermos flask on the bench, she went back to get it.

"Where are you going?" Yujin walks next to her. All she saw was that little frown formed on the brunette's forehead. The thoughts she had disappeared and were replaced by the reasons for Minju's sudden anger. It was her first time seeing Minju irritated. She didn't know the girl had it in her when she was usually calm.

"My apartment." The older girl holds onto her sleeve and drags her along.

Yujin stops walking. "Your apartment? Why? All of a sudden? What did I do?" She looks at the fingers pinching her sleeve.

"You said you wanted me to help you. I can't heal your broken heart but I can try to make you sleep."

"Make me sleep–are you trying to kidnap me?"

"Why would I kidnap you? How can I do that? You're not a kid."

"Then why are you bringing me to your apartment?"

"Do you want me to help you or not?"

Yujin gave it a thought. "It's 2 am," she said, wo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter