Desperate

Moving On With You, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minju trespasses Yuri's place, lying on the latter's bed as if it were hers. She hears feet shuffling against the floors and sees her best friend coming out of the shower with a towel wrapped around her hair.

"Are you a burglar? Who said you can enter as you like?" Yuri was dumbfounded by this behaviour of Minju's. The girl rarely comes over.

"Do you have Yujin's number?" She asks without lifting her head.

"What?"

Minju sits up and sees Yuri drying her hair. "Yujin," she says.

"Who is—oh." She grins. "What is this?" She teases, sitting on the edge of the bed.

"Why do you want her number? Didn't you get it during the date?"

"Do you have it?"

"If I say I do, tell me why I should be giving it to you?" Yuri plays her cards well, hoping Minju is giving something new a try.

"I gave her my number but never got a text from her." It has been two days.

"Why do you want a text from her?" Yuri smirks, narrowing her eyes. "You totally fell for her."

"No, but do you have it or not?"

"You sound so concerned."

"She came to the hospital the other day. I should be concerned."

"What's that about?"

"Long story. Give me her number." Minju extends her hand.

Yuri stands up, rubbing the ends of her hair with the towel. "I don't have it." She walks back to the bathroom.

"You—"

"I can ask her for you."

"Please." Minju lazily drops her hand.

"You're so desperate, Minju."

Jiwon comes out of her room to see Yujin at the dining table, blankly staring at her phone in the middle of the day. "What's up?" She sat beside her.

"I don't know what to do."

Jiwon sees the chatroom on her phone. "Who is Minju? Did you actually set her real name and not some weird nickname?"

"What nickname..."

"You always do that to every girl you talk to."

"I don't."

A mischievous grin dances on Jiwon's lips. "Pretty face, nice voice, brunette. You gave all sorts of names." She chuckles but sees her all serious. "What's wrong? Just text her."

"You gave all the qualities of her." Yujin notices, glancing at her. "Yena unnie told me I shouldn't bother her."

"Why are you listening to Yena? She's the last person you should be asking for advice. Do you even need advice?"

"I'm serious about her. She's not like others." Yujin's thumb hesitates to type a few words. "I want this cast off." She hits her forearm lightly.

"You say that about every girl and you still have a long time before you get that off."

Yujin groans, throwing her head over the chair. "Why is it so hard? I used to be able to say anything that comes to my mind but I'm afraid she might take it the wrong way." She complains.

Even though she's comfortable with Minju, she feels this pressure to not be too much. The girl may ask her to be herself, but Yujin doesn't know if she'll react like how other girls do. She's being extremely careful.

"How did you even meet her?"

Yujin sighs. "I go to this cafe down the street where she works. One day Yena unnie set me up on a blind date and it turned out to be her. Coincidentally."

"Talk about fate."

"I wish I had those."

"If that's not fate, what is?"

"Help me with this." She sits closer to Jiwon who halts her for a moment.

"Is she a doctor?"

Yujin wondered why she thought of asking, being overly accurate. "Soon to be."

"No," Jiwon shakes her head. "Don't date doctors."

Yujin was slightly offended. "Why does being a doctor matter here? You date people based on their profession? No wonder you're having a hard time."

"She'll have no time for you. It'll be worse if she's going to become one of those surgeons."

"My girlfriend's a cardiologist," Yujin utters. "I like the ring to it."

"Be serious, Yujin."

"What? I think she's fine."

"Remember Gaeul?"

"Your ex. Why?"

"She's a neurologist. You saw what happened. Back then, I only saw her once a week. What's the point of dating if they don't have the time for you? You'll only torture yourself. All they focus on is their job, not you."

"She's a cardiologist. Going to be. She has a heart, unlike yours."

"Mine had a brain, at least."

"Hey, she has a brain too. Extremely smart even." Yujin argues, defending Minju like her life depends on it.

"Don't fall for her," Jiwon warns.

"I'll fall for her."

"Don't."

"Already did." Yujin types something on her phone, going to her room so Jiwon can't stop her from doing anything.

Yujin: Did I take too long to tell you I'm okay with my broken arm?

She climbs up the bunk bed and waits, seeing the word Online appear below Minju's name. That was fast.

Minju: It's not broken. Just a hairline fracture.

Minju: How is it?

Yujin: Itchy.

The younger girl smiles, turning to her side with the phone in her face.

Minju: You can't scratch it, can you?

"I could just hear her laughing at me," Yujin mumbles.

Yujin: You're right, I can't. I want to take it off right now. I think I might die.

Minju: That would be bad.

Yujin: Do you know what would make things better?

Minju: What?

Yujin: Coffee.

She sees the text bubble appearing, hoping she's free to go down to the cafe since it was the weekend.

Minju: Now?

Yujin: Would it be rude to say yes?

Minju: I'll make you one. Meet me at the cafe. 

Minju sat at the counter, watching Chaewon handle the customers with the other staff on duty. With every ring of the doorbell, her head turned but it wasn't Yujin.

She taps the side of her phone, wondering what's taking her so long.

"Is she coming?" Chaewon asks, shifting the Iced Americano Minju made earlier. "She only comes when you're here." Her lips puckered, slightly jealous to see someone interested in Minju.

The brunette watches the droplets of water slide off the edges of the cup, feeling a buzz from her phone. 

Yujin: I'll take a while. Something came up.

"She's not coming?" Chaewon asks when she sees the smile fall from Minju's eyes.

The brunette puts her phone face down and shakes her head. "Something came up. She'll be late." She looks at the ice in the coffee slowly melting, forming a layer of water at the top.

Yujin pockets her phone after sending that text. She was only a few steps from her dorm building when she saw the girl she never wanted to see again.

Nakamura Kazuha. Her most recent ex.

"Why is your arm—"

"You don't need to know. I don't have much time. What do you want?" Yujin asks as she starts to regret the text she sent Minju. I should've just ran. Why did you stop then?

"Why did you stop then?"

"You said you have something you want to say to me."

"Don't you think you're being a little too much?" Kazuha asks.

There she goes again.

"What did I do now?"

"Why did you just disappear without saying anything?"

"We broke up. I didn't disappear. It's only fair for me to stop seeing you if we broke up." She saw the look in the girl's eyes, telling her something she couldn't comprehend.

"I miss you," Kazuha says. "I said I miss you." She made sure the girl heard her.

Yujin sighs. "And?"

"I'm sorry. It's all my fault. You can blame me. I don't want to lose you. Do you know what you put me through in the past month? Hell. I can't live without you."

"Are you blaming me for putting you through hell? What did you put me through for the past year then? What are you doing here anyway? I think I've made it clear it was the best for both of us."

"I don't want us to break up," Kazuha mutters. She starts articulating her thoughts in Japanese. "I didn't want to say it because you're right, I hate being wrong. I don't like to think that I'm wrong. You're the only person who never corrects me, thinking it'll hurt my feelings."

"So what? You went out in the world again and found out what you did wasn't right? What's the point of coming back here after a month? Did you think something would happen?" Yujin wanted to laugh. Nothing makes sense here, especially her showing up randomly without a heads-up.

There wouldn't be a heads-up either. There shouldn't be.

"We can talk it out. We always do that. Just don't break up with me."

"You broke up with me. Did you get into an accident to the point you forgot what you did? We're done." Yujin drew a line between them.

"We're not. We're just taking a break. Couples take breaks in between. That's how things work out."

"Not for us. I'm tired. I don't want us to patch things up if you're go

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter