The Movies

Moving On With You, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sitting in the cafe she works at wasn't something Minju expected. Not at all, not when Chaewon was constantly looking at her from the counter. The girl knew Minju was here for a date and a lot, but she didn't know who it was. The same goes for Minju, she has no idea who's this girl she's about to meet.

All Minju knew was the girl had long hair and was taller than her. That's practically the description for any girl. Yuri said she should just anticipate and know nothing of the girl. She wanted it to be a surprise for Minju although the brunette didn't understand a single bit about keeping details from her. It's just, Yuri.

However, being on a blind date was something Minju never knew she'd agree to do. Not when things were once so certain that meeting someone else didn't come across her mind.

Flashback...

As rain tapped on the window panes, two girls found themselves lazing around on the living room floor, huddled in a cosy blanket, engrossed with the drama series playing on the screen. The soft glow of the TV illuminated their faces, casting shadows that danced across the room.

It wasn't every day that they got to sit down together to catch up on a series, not like when they used to in high school. But Wonyoung was more than grateful that Minju decided to halt her assignments just for a few hours, knowing their first two years of university were the most demanding period of their lives.

Halfway through an intense scene, Wonyoung turned her gaze away from the screen, her eyes settling on Minju's thoughtful expression. Her fingers traced delicate patterns on Minju's arm.

Sensing the girl's gaze on her, Minju turned her head, her eyes meeting Wonyoung's with a knowing smile. "The tv's there."

"Let me look at you for a little bit."

Minju's heart did a little quiver at the request. Her lips curved into a playful smile as she leaned her head on Wonyoung's shoulder. "You have me every day. It's not like my face changes overnight." She nudged the back of her head into the crevice of the girl's neck, her soft hair brushing against Wonyoung's cheek.

She responded by letting her chin gently rest on Minju's head. "Do you know sometimes I wonder how everything happened?" Wonyoung felt Minju's arm slipping around hers, lacing their fingers. "And how lucky I am to have you."

"You've used up all your luck on me." The brunette expels a soft chuckle.

The admission held a weight of truth that neither needed to question. "I did," Wonyoung agreed, her touch a testament to that luck. "But what if things started differently?"

"What do you mean?"

A smile played on Wonyoung's lips as she painted an alternate reality with her words. "What if we met on a blind date?"

Minju's curiosity piqued, and she sat up slightly, her fingers still entwined with Wonyoung's. "Blind date?" The words were foreign, a hint of amusement in her voice.

Wonyoung nodded. "At the start of last year, everyone was pulling each other to go on dinners and all that. You told me you felt bad for rejecting the tons of dinners that got offered to you."

"You weren't any better." Minju couldn't count the number of girls who hung around Wonyoung as if they were moths drawn to the flame.

"Would you go on one if you could?"

"Why would I?" The brunette went back to leaning on Wonyoung's shoulder. "When I have you."

"What if you could?"

The question persisted, drawing Minju into a hypothetical scenario. "I can't imagine going on one."

"What if—" Wonyoung's words were cut off as Minju's hand gently covered her lips, a tender hush that spoke of affectionate intimacy.

"No more what-ifs," Minju warned, earning a small chuckle into her palm, seeing Wonyoung nod. "I'll never go on a blind date." She repeated, wanting to drill those words into the girl's head.

Wonyoung took hold of her wrist, taking her hand away. "Yes, ma'am." She closed the remaining distance between them, her lips meeting Minju's as if she were sealing a vow to not bring up what-ifs again.

End of flashback...

Chaewon acts as if she were wiping the table next to Minju's. "Is she going to be late? It's about to be eight." She shakes her head, a little disappointed.

Minju shrugs. She didn't really care. If she gets stood up, it's fine. She's not here wholeheartedly anyway and doesn't expect anything at all. "I don't have her number, I have no idea who she is. I'll just have to wait here then."

"What if she doesn't show up?"

"Should I get to work?"

Chaewon stops her, knowing she is joking. "Wait here," she said. She goes back to the counter when more customers start pouring in. Chaewon wonders what day it was for this many customers. She opened this shop a year ago, giving up her degree when she finally found where her aspirations lie. A dream to own a cafe to cater to those who want a little quiet time away from their busy lives.

She loves it. She loves her life now as a twenty-four-year-old college dropout. She's glad to have made that decision or else she could've been working nine to five at an office building. That wasn't what she wanted.

The brunette patiently waits. She's the type to be early for something because she doesn't like disrespecting people's time. Punctuality was very important to her and she knows it will be in her future when it's time for her to enter the medical industry.

The ding of the bell above the door made her look in that direction. She sees Yujin walking in with slouched shoulders. She's here again. Minju made eye contact with her and immediately had the girl walking in her direction as if she were a magnet.

Yujin sat opposite her. "You're not working today?" She checks her phone for the time.

"I only work on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays." Why did I tell her that? Minju drills a hole in her head as those lips of hers run loose.

Yujin looks up from her phone. "Today's Saturday," she said. "Why are you here then?"

"It's a long story." Minju sighs, leaning back into the chair.

"You look like you're waiting for someone." Yujin took the receipt on the table left by a previous customer.

"Someone who might never turn up."

"Why?"

"Like I said, long story."

Yujin puckers her lips, slipping her phone into her brown corduroy jacket. Minju sees her just sitting there, fumbling with the piece of paper. "Why are you here then? You're not going to order anything. It's only eight though."

Yujin breathes a chuckle. "Do I appear in your head a lot?"

"It's just..." Minju drags. "You're the one talking as if you don't appear here a few minutes before closing, asking for your iced americano."

"Hey, you're the one who wanted to make me one."

"Because you looked sad." She teases endlessly.

Yujin tuts, crossing her arms. "I don't want to bring that up."

"So, why are you here?"

"I'm meeting someone. A blind date," Yujin said. "I think she's late." She checks the time again.

She's also here on a blind date? "Aren't you going to call her?"

"It's called a blind date for a reason." Yujin gives her a funny look. "My friend set me up. I didn't technically say yes—maybe I did—but I'm here anyway." She shrugs.

Minju nods, sipping on the ade Chaewon made for her earlier. She hears Yujin ask, "Who are you waiting for then? I think I have some time for a long story. Unless you're just here doing nothing. Do people do that? Come to cafes and do absolutely nothing."

The brunette left Yuri's chat open and looked at Yujin. Unsure why it's embarrassing, she says, "I'm also here on a blind date." Maybe it was because she told Yujin she wasn't ready to date someone new and that's why it felt a little strange to tell her.

Yujin lifted her brows as her fingers paused folding the piece of paper. "You? Blind date?" She laughs. "Who managed to convince you?"

"I told you it's a long story." Minju texts Yuri, asking where the girl is. What's weird was that she said the girl had arrived at the cafe. She does see girls around but none of them have long hair. Coincidentally.

Yujin sees her looking around as she finishes with her tiny paper crane. "Why? Are they here?" She got ready to leave but didn't see anyone coming into the cafe.

"She said she's here..." Minju's eyes landed on Yujin.

Long hair, taller than her. Yujin does fit the description. She fits too well.

She heard a hum and saw a hand waving in front of her face. There's no way. Minju narrows her eyes at Yujin.

"Are you supposed to meet her here at eight and go to the movies after?" She asks.

Yujin sat up straight. "How do you know?"

"Oh god." The brunette puts her forehead into her hand, confusing the latter. Of all people, it had to be her. Just how small can the world be? It is a small city. She sits up, seeing the look of realisation hit Yujin.

"Oh." The younger girl blurts, elbows reaching for the table. "That's you?"

"What?" Somehow, Minju felt offended by that tone of hers.

"Totally my type." Yujin quotes. She relaxed her shoulders and chuckled as if she didn't believe everything that was happening.

The brunette points a finger to her chest. "I'm your type?"

"No." Yujin looks at her. "That's just what my friend told me. But–" She stops there when a cup of smoothie falls next to their table, splashing onto her. There goes the glass cup.

"I'm so sorry!" The staff immediately handed her some napkins but Yujin calmly told her she was fine.

Chaewon pokes her head out the counter, seeing one of her employees frantically finding ways to clean the glass. "What's going on?" She walks out, immediately going back into the kitchen to get a mop and a dustpan.

Minju passes Yujin some wet tissues as the girl cleans up the edge of her shoe. Her sharp eyes noticed a cut just along the latter's ankle where her dusty black jeans didn't reach. She stands up and heads to the back kitchen, grabbing the first aid kit on the shelves.

The staff bows slightly and gets a smile from Yujin. "I'm okay." She assures her as Chaewon helps mop the floor.

The older girl noticed who it was, keeping her widened eyes to herself. "Your iced americano will be on the house. I think you'd have to wash these." She points at her white Converse stained with speckles of chocolate smoothie.

Minju calmly lays out tissues beside the cup of distilled water she got from the kitchen, antiseptic cream, and a bandaid on the table amid chaos. She taps on Yujin's hand, asking the latter to sit next to her.

"Why?"

"Come here."

Yujin went beside her and was asked to lift her feet onto the bench. "Oh my." She saw the cut across her skin. She looks at Minju who went straight to treating it without even asking. "Okay, I get it. Doctor."

She watches the brunette who didn't say a word, dabbing the wound with the cream after cleaning it with water. She does it with so much care as if she were responsible for the cut.

"You're very meticulous," Yujin says, withstanding the pain she didn't feel earlier. It came unannounced.

"Is that a good thing, or a bad thing?" Minju opens the bandaid, looks at her briefly, and goes on to paste it over the wound.

"If you're doing it as a doctor, it's a very good thing. I think people would trust you if anything bad happens to them," Yujin says. "But if you're doing it because you want to, I'm afraid you might need to throw your phone in the water."

"Why would I throw something that expensive into the water?"

"So you won't have a phone number to give if anyone asks you for one."

"I'm not following." Minju gathers the tissues and plastics, stashing them aside.

A snicker found its way up Yujin's throat. She put down her leg and stood up as Minju's eyes followed her. "Where are you going?"

"We're going to be late." Yujin points her lips to the clock on the wall which shows 8:30 pm. "The movie starts at nine."

Minju raises her eyebrow. "You want to watch it with me?"

"Who else is my date here?" Yujin looks around and back at her. She in a snippet of air. "I already have the tickets though. It'll be a waste to not watch it. So what if it's you?"

"It's just..." The brunette had no excuses to give.

"On Your Wedding Day," Yujin says. "They're showing it again after five years."

Minju froze for a few seconds when she heard the title of the movie they were watching. She loved the movie but the memories that came with it weren't helping. The fact that she'll be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter