Labels

Moving On With You, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The early morning sun painted the cosy cafe in hues of yellow as Chaewon bustled behind the counter, deftly preparing a cappuccino for a waiting customer. The comforting aroma of fresh coffee beans and pastries floated in the air, infusing the space with a delightful allure.

With the chiming of the door, Chaewon looked up to see Hyewon entering, a vibrant smile gracing her lips as she quickly served the customer so she could tend to the older girl's presence.

"Good morning, beautiful. Missed me?" Hyewon teased, eyes alight with mischief.

A gentle blush coloured Chaewon's cheeks, still getting used to the latter's form of endearment as she leaned across the counter, her eyes locked with Hyewon's. "You're becoming a regular here."

With grace and charm, the older girl sauntered closer, brushing a stray strand of hair away from Chaewon's face, her words a whisper, "There are no other cafes around here."

The younger girl pointed across the streets where Starbucks was located.

"Even if there is, yours is the only one I'd enter." Hyewon heard a soft snicker, watching the girl wipe her hands on her apron. "Because you're here."

Caught in a whirlwind of affection, Chaewon asks, "What brings you here? I thought you had a busy schedule today." She's usually filled with early morning meetings, ever since Chaewon got to know her.

Hyewon's demeanour shifted, her eyes reflecting sincerity as she gently took the younger girl's hand. "For you, I don't," she said. "My only plan for today is to be here for the rest of the day."

"Are you serious?"

Hyewon nodded once. "I'm going to help you out." She gestured around the cafe with a sweeping motion of her hand.

Chaewon remembered the girl bringing up how crucial this week was for her the other night. "But you said—"

"That'll be a concern for another day." Hyewon interrupts with a reassuring smile and stands up. She walks to the other side of the counter. "It's about time I did something to show how much I appreciate you for all those wonderful nights you've given me." She tugged on the pocket of Chaewon's apron, pulling her closer.

The younger girl's hands found their way onto Hyewon's waist. "Really?" The girl nods. "You're going to help me out?" She nods once again, seeing that wide smile spread across the latter's lips.

"That's good. I actually have many things to do today." Chaewon gives her a quick kiss on her cheek out of gratitude. "The supplier's coming and I have a new shelf on its way." She was about to get an extra apron just for Hyewon to pull her in for a kiss.

A deep, lingering kiss that causes thoughts to disappear into thin air. Chaewon confesses that the girl had a way of doing so too often to the point she's all she could think about.

If she were to do a push-up each time she thinks about her, gym memberships wouldn't be a thing. If she were to plank with how long Hyewon stays in her head every time she kisses her and the time after she lingers around, Chaewon would have abs no matter which life she is in, if past lives were a thing.

Hyewon pulls away, brushing a thumb over the latter's jaw, seeing those pair of eyes glisten before her. "That sounds like a lot of things," she said. "Now, what do you need me to do? This is the only time you'll get to boss me around."

That earned her a hefty slap to the shoulder.

In a place where life ends and begins, Minju finds herself standing right outside a glass window to a room, slipping her chilly hands into her coat pockets. She leans in a tad closer, observing the newborn babies who have just entered this world.

She managed to stop by during her lunch break.

"Do you like babies?"

Minju turns to see Juyeon mimicking her actions, looking at the adorable newborns through the glass.

"I guess they're cute. But they can be so annoying in a few year's time." He stands upright, turning to the girl. He reached into his coat pocket, pulled out a small bottle of strawberry-flavoured yoghurt and handed it to her along with the plastic spoon. "I noticed you didn't take this earlier. It's good for you. Especially when we barely get our nutrients."

Minju smiles, not at the thought of him giving the yoghurt to her but at the person she gets reminded of because of it, because of strawberry-flavoured yoghurt.

"Thank you." She gave a tap on his shoulder and started walking.

He follows and because of the palpable change in her mood recently, he asks, "Something good happened recently?"

"Why?"

"It's just, you're a lot more smiley," he said. "I mean it's a good thing. To see you smile is a good thing."

Minju hadn't really noticed but for him to point it out seemed like her actions affected others unintentionally. In a good way, at least.

I'm taking you with me.

"I smile a lot?"

"A lot more than usual," he assured. "I don't think anything could wipe that smile off your face." He pressed the button of the lift and waited next to her.

All Minju knew was the reason behind that smile of hers.

Minutes ticked by like hours as Minju admired the nightlife behind the windows of a bus. She never appreciated the journey back mostly because she's tired or finds no meaning in watching the passing roads when she sees it every day.

Dark clouds loomed overhead and the first raindrops splattered against the windows. A few drops turned into a drizzle, and before she knew it, it was a full-fledged downpour.

As the bus came to a stop outside her apartment building, she assessed the situation. The walk to her apartment from the bus stop was a good distance and there was no shelter in sight.

On days like this, Yujin comes to her mind. Like a saviour who appears at the very last minute but not today.

With a resigned sigh, Minju decided she couldn't wait any longer. She thanked the bus driver and stepped out, rain pelting her instantly, soaking her hair and clothes within seconds as she hid the tote bag under her jacket when it should have been over her head.

Her steps turned into a brisk jog then an all-out sprint. With a final push, she stumbled into the lobby, water dripping from every inch of her.

She pats her sleeve and tote bag, pressing the lift button. She checked the insides of her bag, making sure nothing was drenched, especially the little sketchbook that was carefully wrapped with brown recycled paper, adorned with a string that had a tag attached to it.

When she made it to her unit, she entered, dropping her shoes to the side. The first thing she does is place the sketchbook on the kitchen counter, making sure it is dry.

Why did she have a sketchbook with her?

She couldn't help but notice the few pages left on the one Yujin possesses. One that the latter probably had with her for a period of time, enough for all of its pages to get filled. As well as the one that had her portrait in it.

While she was ruffling her hair dry, her phone vibrated against the countertop as she looked to see Yujin's name appearing on the screen.

She picks up while taking off her jacket, immediately hearing Yujin's voice travel to her ears, "Are you home?"

Minju hums. "A few seconds ago." She heard a soft sigh of relief.

"I thought you'd be caught in the rain. It started pouring all of a sudden. I would've gone to pick you up."

The brunette smiles, leaning her lower back against the counter. "What are you doing?"

"What am I doing? I'm in the workshop."

"Again?"

"This is officially my second home unless you want to make yours mine. I have a project to work on. Although it would be much better with you around."

Minju snickers at the way she talks. "So you could find somewhere to balance all of your paper cranes?" The corner of her lips curled at that memory.

"Hey, they're more than just paper cranes," Yujin says. "I've put all my hard work into those tiny folds. It wasn't a simple task."

Minju found a tiny paper crane sitting right next to the water jug as if the younger girl tried to leave a trace of herself around the house. "You're going to fill my place with it one day." She reached for it, pinching it between her fingers.

Yujin snickers. "Do you have ten minutes?"

"Ten minutes? What for?"

"I want to see you."

"Now?"

Yujin hums. "Now," she said. "The weather's nice for hot chocolate."

"Don't you have things to do?"

"I can get it done later. My group mates are busy having their break anyway. I'll come get you. Wait at the lobby for me."

"Where are we going?"

"Where else?" Yujin asks. "The cafe."

...

The brunette waits by the door of the lobby as the winds send chills down her spine. The downpour had everyone seeking refuge, but amidst the sea of umbrellas, one stood out not for its bright yellow but for the person who sought shelter beneath it. 

With the navy blue jacket that glistened from the raindrops, Yujin closed the umbrella and approached Minju. There was a mischievous glint in her eyes as she attempted to shake off the rainwater from her hair. 

Minju tried to hide the concern in her voice, "I thought you were driving."

Yujin handed her the umbrella, asking her to hold it for a second while she took off her jacket. "Well, you see," she began. "Walking under the rain is a lot more romantic, don't you think?"

Minju couldn't suppress a smile at her response. "Romantic?"

Yujin hums, helping Minju into the jacket. "It's not every day we get to do this," she claims. "So we do what we can to make the best out of it." After zipping up the jacket, she stood tall, looking more radiant than the rain-swept street.

The scent of the younger girl clung to the jacket, overpowering that of the rain.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter