Equal

Moving On With You, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yena tosses around the bed, annoyed at the beam of light entering her eyelids. She turned to the side, opening her eyes to see Yujin at the drawing table–one Hyewon got her when she first moved in. Her soft groan caught the attention of the younger girl.

"What are you doing?" Yena questioned while sitting up and looking at the digital clock next to her bed. "It's 4 in the morning. Don't you have class?" She saw Yujin nod like it was the most normal thing to be awake before dawn. "Why are you up so early?"

"I had enough sleep."

Yena's eyebrows knitted. "Did you eat something wrong? There's something wrong with you. Dim the lights a little. I'm trying to sleep." She hid under the blanket, wrapping it around her head to block out sources of light.

Yujin twisted the knob of her lamp and went back to her assignment which consist of her sketching the layout of her individual project for the semester. She reaches over for a yellow wooden pencil, shoving the tip into the sharpener sitting next to the angled table. She gently turned the lever, making sure she wasn't too loud.

When the tip of the graphite was sharp enough, she leaned into the table and started adding the tiny details to the floor plan she was working on. Every corner, every line, and every word, she meticulously connects each part with the pencil.

Soon, her idea gets drawn out in black and white, coupled with rough sketches of the building she had in mind. One that doesn't exist but could in the future. That is what Yujin likes about architecture. She was able to see the possibilities of what could happen and someday, change the world.

To her, architecture was making her imagination come to life. The buildings in her head do more than provide shelter for people. They were places where memories are made, places that could live longer than humans do. And those places are made by people who have a vision. Very similar to art where an artist wishes to convey their message through masterpieces.

Long before Yujin knew it, the sun started to rise as the clock hit 6 in the morning.

"Make sure to sleep when you all get back. I'll see you guys tomorrow morning." The supervisor dismisses the med school students on the night shift.

In the dimly lit locker room, Minju's tired fingers delicately removed the lanyard from around her neck. Her movements were slow and deliberate as she peeled off her white coat, draping it in the cabinet.

A deep voice pierced the silence of the room, breaking Minju's concentration. "Heading home?" The words belonged to a tall figure next to her, a newcomer to the team—Lee Juyeon. Rumors had it that he had served in the military before embarking on his medical journey, making him a bit older than the rest.

Minju's lips remained sealed as she met his inquisitive gaze. With a polite nod, she retrieved her bag, closing the cabinet door behind her.

Juyeon's warm smile persisted despite her lack of response. "Do you need a ride home?" he offered, adjusting the strap of his sling bag. "Bus services don't operate this early."

"I'm fine," Minju replied curtly, her tone suggesting she preferred solitude.

Undeterred, Juyeon swiftly organized his belongings and caught up with her. As they walked side by side, he probed further, trying to unravel the enigma that was Minju. "Were you always like this? All quiet and never talk about things out of the hospital."

"Do I know you?"

"No, but I want to get to know you."

"Why?"

Juyeon hums softly while thinking. "Because we're in the same team. I'll be working with you until the sub-internship," he said. "I thought I could use a friend."

Minju contemplated his words in silence, her guard slowly softening. "Okay," she conceded with a reluctant nod.

"Okay." Juyeon lets out a satisfied sigh. "Do you really not need a ride—" He got cut off when Minju's phone started to ring.

She gestured for him to go ahead, prioritizing the call.

"I'll walk with you."

Minju's patience waned as she picked up the call from Yujin, wondering why the latter was awake this early.

"I'm outside," Yujin's voice crackled through the phone. Minju peered out of the front entrance to see Yujin leaning against her familiar white car, waving enthusiastically.

Minju doesn't even question it, thinking of it as a lifesaver. She turned to Juyeon briefly. "I'll get going first." She quickly walked away before he could say another word.

Yujin deftly slipped her phone into her pocket, her gaze never leaving Minju as the brunette emerged from the sliding hospital doors. There was a subtle undercurrent of confusion in Minju's expression, but it was met with a warm, affectionate smile from Yujin. She rose to her feet gracefully as Minju drew near, her eyes sparkling with a hint of mischief.

"How does breakfast sound? Do you eat breakfast after your night shifts?"

A cautious yet curious smile played on Minju's lips as she responded, "I do, but—why are you here?"

Yujin simply shrugged, an air of nonchalance masking her true intentions. She deftly relieved Minju of her bag, then opened the passenger's door with a casual flourish. "Get in. We're going to your place."

"My place?" Minju's voice betrayed her bewilderment as she cautiously entered the car.

The younger girl lowered herself slightly. "Yes." She closed the door, went to the other side and eased herself into the driver's seat.

She fastened her seatbelt with an air of quiet determination and turned her gaze toward Minju. Her lips curled into a teasing smile, a glint of mischief dancing in her eyes. "Are you smiling because of me or does breakfast excite you?"

"Why are we going to my place?"

With a hint of mischievous confidence, Yujin leaned back in her seat, her gaze locked on Minju. "I'm going to cook for you," she declared, her voice carrying a note of playful intrigue. "I can't bring you to the dorm, so we're going to your place."

"Cook?" Minju thought her ears were playing tricks on her.

Yujin started the engine with a confident posture. "Oh, you'll be surprised." She winks playfully, earning a chuckle from the girl.

Seated comfortably at the kitchen island, Minju observed Yujin's bustling movements with keen interest as the younger girl paced back and forth, orchestrating a culinary symphony within the confines of the cosy kitchen. Her chin rested gently on her palm, dark eyes tracing Yujin's every move as she deftly grabbed a loaf of sourdough and positioned a pan on the stove.

"Why the sudden I'm going to cook for you?" She asked.

Yujin paused for a moment, regarding Minju with a playful glimmer in her eyes. "Is it sudden?" she countered, an air of mystery cloaking her intentions.

"It is."

Yujin turned around with the bread knife in one hand. "You don't like surprises?" she teased, her tone soft and inviting.

A subtle, affectionate laugh escaped Minju's lips as she observed Yujin's playful demeanour. "I like surprises," she admitted gently, unprovoked at the way she held the knife.

"If you didn't, I'm afraid this knife will end up somewhere else other than through the bread." Yujin jokes, going ahead to slice the loaf of bread.

Minju snickers, leaning to the side to make sure she is fine cooking. Not that she doesn't trust Yujin with fire, but for safety. She didn't feel like going back to the hospital this quickly. "When did you buy all these?" She asked about the ingredients that the girl brought with her.

"The moment the market opens." Yujin turns around after throwing the butter onto the pan. "Do you know they have sunrise discounts?"

"Sunrise discounts?"

"Never heard of it?" She saw the girl shake her head. "Me too. I made it up." Yujin placed the two slices of bread onto the pan. "But everything's much fresher in the morning." She dragged the small tray of eggs.

"Just baked and just laid."

Minju chuckled softly, savouring the delightful aroma filling the kitchen as the bread sizzled. "Are you sure I can just sit here and watch?"

"I have everything under control," Yujin assured her with unwavering confidence.

"The last time you said that we were stuck in the middle of nowhere." Minju sat back down when the girl turned around. "Just saying." Her nose did a tiny scrunch, letting her continue.

Yujin gave her one look before returning to the toast. "I liked it," she said, transferring the two pieces of bread from the pan, onto a white plate. "That day."

With her cheek resting against her palm, Minju's smile softened, her eyes locked onto Yujin's face. "You did?"

"Tell me when will I ever get to be in that situation again. If you were me, you would like it too," Yujin playfully retorted, cracking an egg into the pan, where it sizzled in hot oil.

"I'm not you but I liked it." Minju's response was a gentle affirmation.

The subtle shift in Yujin's movements and the way she paused hi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter