Road Trip

Moving On With You, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nearing the night, Yena drags her feet across the hallway, turning into her room just to see Yujin sitting on the floor with a huge duffle bag in front of her and two stacks of clothing next to it.

"You're going back to the gym?" She sips on the warm milk she had microwaved earlier, sitting on the edge of the bed. "How odd."

"I'm not," Yujin said while folding a knitted vest. "I'm going on a short trip." She neatly chucked the two sets of clothing into the duffle bag, squeezing it to the side. "What do you think kids at the age of four like?"

"A trip? With who? Why am I not invited?"

"With my girlfriend." Yujin turned to the older girl. "Why would you be invited?"

Yena scoffed softly. "You two are already going on trips? It has only been two weeks. You don't ever think about me." That earned her a sock to her face. "Is Minju all you ever think about now? The world doesn't revolve around her. What about me?"

"You have your own girlfriend."

Yena sat up when she realised. "Right, I do. But what I don't have is a car. I can't bring her anywhere."

"Try night bus rides. They're awesome," Yujin said. "Don't you have your brother's car?" She continues packing.

Yena sinks into the pillows. "I borrowed it last week and kinda drove over a curb. He won't let me use it for the next two months."

" to be you. But there are many other things you can do without a car."

"Like?"

"Think about it yourself." Yujin wasn't going to spoon-feed her. "So, what do kids like?"

"Think about it yourself." Yena scoffed and reached for her phone. "Why are you asking about kids anyway?"

"She has a sister. I'm thinking of getting her something."

"Minju has a sister? Since when?"

"What do kids play with nowadays? I don't even remember what I played with." Yujin put herself in her core memories when she was a child.

"All you had was a sketchbook when I came here." Yena snickers at the memory of twelve-year-old Yujin around the dorm.

"We're talking about a four-year-old here. Maybe I should go with food. That can never go wrong."

The older girl couldn't agree more as she sat up, finishing the last bit of her milk. She saw Yujin slipping a small handbook into the front pocket of the duffle bag. "Why do you have a guide to sign language? Do you have nothing better to do?"

"Just because," Yujin said.

In fact, she has been trying to memorise some phrases for the past two weeks. She just wanted to do it after hearing about Minju's father and wanted to try communicating with him.

Even though she had Minju who could teach her, she wasn't keen on disturbing the brunette who had more important duties to attend to.

"Whatever it is, have a good trip. I'm going over to Yuri's. Don't miss me too much." The older girl disappears from the room.

As the first light of dawn painted the sky, Yujin bustled down the steps of Minju's apartment lobby, carefully placing the brunette's bags into the boot of the car.

"We could've taken the bus." Minju rubs her eyes. "You wouldn't have to drive."

Yujin closes the boot. "It'll be boring," she says and goes to the girl. "I'd rather drive. You know why?"

"Why?"

The younger girl cups her face. "Because then I can kiss you at every red light." She gently pressed her lips on Minju's forehead, earning a nose scrunch.

"It's too early for this."

Yujin kisses her lips, transferring that smile of hers to Minju before helping her get in the car and closing the door.

She gets in herself and puts on her seatbelt. "And there are too many people on the bus, insufficient rest stops, too many rules—it's better that I drive. It's not that far anyway."

"Four hours. Have you driven that long before?"

"Nope." Yujin adjusted the heater to a comfortable warmth. "The last time I was hours in a car was with you."

"Hours? When?"

"When we got stuck in the middle of nowhere," Yujin said with confidence and started to drive off. "When you kissed me without permission." Her shoulder scrunched, getting smacked in the arm as expected. "If only you used this strength in the room."

"Ahn Yujin," Minju utters with jaw clenched.

The younger girl giggled, glancing to see a playful frown on Minju's forehead. She reached to the back, retrieving not only a blanket but a panda plush toy. She hands them to Minju. "I'll wake you up when we're at the breakfast place"

"I'm not tired."

Yujin faked a laugh. "Your eyes are closing bit by bit."

"Who am I to blame?" Minju spreads the blanket over her legs.

"The one who kept you up all night."

"And who's that?"

"Me," Yujin admitted easily. "So, sleep. Use that little guy as a pillow." She points at the panda.

Minju snickers and mumbles random things under her breath, shifting into a comfortable position while Yujin carefully declined her seat.

For the next hour, the younger girl kept her word and took advantage of every red light before they headed out of the city, planting kisses on Minju's hand, forehead and cheek as if each kiss were some checkpoint.

Stretching her arms over her head, Minju embraces the crispy winter air while Yujin locks the car. She goes to the older girl, quickly but gently wrapping the knitted scarf around her neck.

As she tucked the warmer neatly, she heard Minju say, "That was..." She yawns. "...the best nap I've taken in a car."

The younger girl snickers and holds onto her chilly hand. "You could've just told me I'm a good driver."

Minju slapped her stomach, only to get tugged warmly into Yujin's arms as they made their way to a famous rest stop that served legendary, steamy hot Udon.

Yujin told the older girl to find a seat while she ordered. Minju sat by the windows fogged by winter and continued stretching her muscles. She turned to the counters and saw Yujin folding the receipt, about to come back just to stop when she saw a toddler trying to retrieve the tray on the counter that was too high for her.

Yujin helped the little girl, bringing her food to where her family was. Minju's heart warmed up along with her body, eyes following the latter.

Yujin settled the receipt on the table and said, "Is it a good thing that kids these days are trying to be independent?"

"Hm?"

"There was no way she could've carried two full bowls of noodles back." Yujin smiles when she sees the little girl wave at her. She gave a small wave back.

"Why are you not sitting?"

"I'm going to go get some tissues. Apparently, they don't hand them out here. Said it was to save the earth." She shrugged and left her phone with Minju before jogging out of the restaurant.

The older girl looked at Yujin's phone, noticing the photobooth pictures still stuck behind the clear case. She ran her thumb over the picture as she got reminded about the very day Yujin asked to be her first patient, to fix the latter's heart, and spent the rest of the day seated in front of nothing but food. Minju had no idea how many shrimps she ate that day.

A few knocks on the window made her turn in that direction.

Yujin wiped the fog away with her sleeve, smiling at Minju. She puffed a few breaths on the window before tracing the shape of a heart, filling it with the letter M.

The older girl grinned at the heart Yujin drew, her heart warming even more. Almost as if the younger girl was trying all ways to keep her warm. She gestured for Yujin to come back in, not wanting her to catch a cold.

The younger girl laughed, feeling the cold air bite at her cheeks. She stepped back into the warmth of the restaurant, quickly going to Minju. She shivered a bit, pretending to be colder than she actually was.

Out of playfulness,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter