Her Smile

Moving On With You, Jinjoo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"That's all for today." A phrase said by the professor that made sure his students weren't statues as they started packing their bags, slamming their laptops, and making plans for dinner.

Yujin felt like she could finally breathe, sitting in the same position for the past three hours, watching the sun's rays make their way from the walls to the ceiling. Her back wasn't cooperating with her at the moment. With every small movement she makes, she hears a soft crack.

She packed her things, shoving her laptop into her sling bag. She picks up her phone from the table while standing up, checking to see if there is her favourite notification but sees none. Sliding her thumb upwards, all she saw was the last message Minju sent her a few hours ago, telling her she'd be sleeping.

One she had not replied to since she didn't want to disturb the girl from her sleep, coming back from her night shift a few hours ago. For a person who prefers calls over texts, Yujin noticed the girl had been leaving certain messages telling her what she was doing, or why she wouldn't be able to reply to her messages. Minju leaving a message was something Yujin came to like and appreciate.

Now she experiences how it feels like to be on the receiving end.

Just when she thinks about her, the phone starts buzzing as Kidnapper calls.

Yujin picked up but heard the professor calling for their attention. "Give me a second." She told the older girl.

"I forgot to tell you guys that the deadline for the individual assignment has been pushed forward in light of your group project." That earned multiple groans from students who were just about to leave. "The submission will be next week. Late submissions, you know what to expect. I've also left an email for you guys if you need an extra reminder." He ends off, not entertaining any negotiation from his students.

Yujin's jaw dropped, knowing she hadn't started on the models, only prototypes that were far from expectations. All she could do was sigh when sleep didn't seem to exist tonight and for the rest of the week. As if it did in the first place.

She nudges the chair to fold forward, allowing her to walk through. "You were saying?" She went back to the call.

"Did I call you at a bad time? Why did you sigh so loudly?"

"Is there ever a bad time?" Yujin's tone was playful as she pushed the door open, adjusting the strap of her bag. "It's nothing. The professor's just being stupid. What is it?"

"Well," Minju starts. "There's this dinner I'm going to. I was wondering if you wanted to come."

"Tonight?"

Minju hums. "I was told to bring someone, and I couldn't think of anyone else but you." Yujin had that sentence engraved in her head.

"Do you really have to think of anyone else?"

"There's free food."

"Where are you? I'll come fetch you."

That was enough to send her running down the hallway.

Yujin got to Minju's apartment building a few minutes early. While waiting, she folds the sleeves of her white denim jacket. Pulling down the sun visor, she checked her bangs, ensuring they weren't messy.

Her fingers tapped the bottom of the steering wheel as if it contained her excitement. She didn't ask what dinner it was or who was going. The only thing that mattered to her was Minju. (Maybe the free food)

Just as anticipation was building, Yujin's eyes were drawn to the entrance of Minju's apartment building. There, Minju stepped out of the lobby wearing a sundress that left her utterly speechless.

The sundress wasn't a breathtaking ensemble of colours. Just white. Purely white with its own intricate designs. Coincidentally, it was the colour Yujin loved on Minju and was slowly becoming her favourite.

Its fabric flowed gracefully around Minju, every movement accentuating her slender frame. There were only two thoughts that entered Yujin's head.

Was she caught in the middle of a wedding ceremony or a runway?

The younger girl swore she had her jaw on the ground, for she had never seen Minju put this much effort into her attire. Minju was usually the epitome of comfort, often opting for jeans and oversized sweaters. Even when they went on a blind date. But tonight was different.

Minju held onto the door handle, pulling it but the door was locked. She looked through the window to see Yujin with a little smile on her face. Giving a gentle knock to the glass, she managed to pull the latter out of her trance.

Yujin stumbled to find the button and unlocked the door. The brunette got in and the first thing she saw was Yujin reaching out her hand. Not knowing what she wanted, Minju placed her hand in the girl's palm. "Why?"

Yujin looked at her hand and held onto it. "I love what you're doing but I very much prefer your phone right now."

"My phone?"

"It's better than throwing it into the sea because, Kim Minju, who is this other bride I've never heard of before? Are you keeping something from me?"

The brunette chuckles lightly. "What are you talking about?"

Yujin took a quick glance at Minju as a whole, motioning for her to put on her seatbelt. She turned down the fan of the air conditioner and gripped the steering wheel. "You'll not hear me calling you pretty from now on because I now know the word pretty itself doesn't cut it."

Minju caught on while pulling the seatbelt halfway. "What will I hear you calling me then?"

"I will skip to the ring—anyway, what's this dinner about?" Yujin says quickly, turning out of the complex. She heard a soft snicker. "Is it something important? You should've told me, so I'd change into something nicer."

Minju briefly scans Yujin with her eyes. The latter wore everyday blue denim jeans, pairing black innerwear with a white denim jacket. Something about Yujin makes everyday clothes look expensive. "This is fine," she said. "It's just a small farewell party."

Yujin nods slowly, reaching behind just to pull out a small bouquet of red roses, beautifully coupled with white baby breath flowers.

She hands it to Minju whose eyes lit up at that gesture. 

"Don't worry, it didn't burn a hole in my pocket," Yujin assured, knowing it would be one of the concerns in Minju's head.

"What's the occasion?"

"There's no particular occasion," the younger said. "I just thought of you." She glanced at Minju who had a placid smile dancing across her lips.

"Thank you."

While admiring the flowers, Yujin snuck a gentle kiss on the brunette's cheek as a way of receiving her gratitude.

Minju's cheeks blushed, turning to see that dimpled smile of Yujin's, bright eyes telling her how much she appreciated her without saying it.

Standing at the door of a private VIP room, Yujin leans down to Minju's ear. "You said small farewell party. I don't think this is small." She grasped the brunette's pinky, afraid of getting lost in the crowd of people she didn't know. 

Upon entering, a softly lit corridor adorned with tasteful artwork and plush carpets led them to the heart of the VIP room. A long, polished wooden table was impeccably set with fine silverware, bathed in the soft glow of crystal chandeliers.

There were guests having small conversations at the sides, perhaps catching up with their lives.

Yujin never imagined stepping foot on the top level of a skyscraper. "Where exactly did you meet her?" To her, a farewell party happens at a barbecue place. Not some fine dining dinner that could be mistaken as royalty dinner.

"At a conference two years ago," Minju whispered back as she saw the main event walking their way.

The girl moves with quiet confidence, her every step purposeful and deliberate. There's an aura of mystery about her, as she carries with her the weight of untold adventures and experiences. As though she wasn't from around here. Her eyes were deep with a mesmerising shade of honey-brown, framed by long lashes that accentuated their intensity.

"Minju!" The girl greeted with open arms, wrapping them around the brunette who returned the gesture. "You're so beautiful today."

She released Minju, a bright smile plastered across her face. "Thank you for coming. How long has it been? Two years?" Minju nods. "Time flies." She gently nudges her shoulder in a friendly way.

She turned to Yujin who gave a polite smile. "She's a new face. Who's this? Your plus-one?"

Yujin extended her hand. "I'm Yujin."

"Yujin?" The girl uttered in surprise. "I'm Yunjin. What a coincidence. Just a letter short." She smiles, shaking the latter's hand.

Yujin chuckles lightly, releasing her hand. "It's nice to meet you. I heard this was a farewell party of yours."

"Yes! You see, I'm leaving for the States next week to further my studies. Quite demanding, but totally worth it." She flicks her wrist. "You're her..." Yunjin shifted her gaze towards Minju. "Girlfriend?"

"No." The brunette spat, looking at Yujin whose lips tightened. "Not yet." She breathes out as Yunjin shoots a teasing gaze at the other girl.

"So you guys are—"

"There are other guests waiting for you." Minju quickly chases her away, earning the biggest grin from the girl who greeted her other guests. She knew what would go down if Yunjin continued being within arm's reach of her.

She turned to Yujin who wasn't any better—her famous dimpled smile that made her feel things.

Yujin wrinkles her nose. "Not yet." Her voice was filled with tease. Minju held onto her arm and pulled her along to the dining table.

Yujin's mind was swirled with those two words as they stood by the chairs, choosing a seat. She put her hand to the left side of her chest. "My heart fluttered."

"Fireworks?"

Yujin hummed. "But this one feels more comfortable." She pulled out the chair for Minju to sit, taking the little white purse the girl had with her. Those two words gave her the next level of assurance she never thought to receive. She expected the older girl to introduce her as a friend but not yet felt a million times better.

When she sat down, she leaned towards Minju. "What does she do?"

"Her father's one of the best surgeons at our university's hospital. She's not in the field but was at the conference which she found extremely boring," Minju answers. "She's going to continue with her theatre studies overseas."

Yujin nodded slowly, eyes following the said girl who was looking for someone, almost as if she were head counting her guests.

"Where are you..." Her quiet mutter held slight uncertainty.

Yujin saw her motioning for the waitress to start the dinner, wondering who was missing but didn't find the need to when she didn't know a single person there.

When she felt subtle winds blowing onto her, the first thing she did was to take off her denim jacket, laying it over Minju's legs that weren't covered by her dress. It felt like a habit Yujin gradually developed over time.

The thump of the door opening startled almost everyone, earning their attention.

A girl enters with a beige knitted cardigan, looking as if she had rushed from her previous schedules.

Yujin looked to see who it was. She could recognise the girl from afar, even with the newly bleached streak of hair framing her face.

Minju saw the slightest knit in Yujin's eyebrow, shifting her eyes towards the girl at the door. The familiarity she held made Minju's mind run. She recognised that figure and yet couldn't put her finger on it.

"Zuha." Yunjin gestured for her to quicken her steps. Kazuha politely bows to the guests, heading towards the girl. "Why are you late?"

The Japanese girl pulls out the chair, "There were many red lights." She sits, lifting her gaze just to meet with one she thought had left her life.

While the blonde does her short speech about today's gathering, Kazuha notices Yujin avoiding her gaze. This might be the worst seat to be in, directly in front of the girl. But there weren't any other seats since she was late.

And this seat is especially hers.

The waitress entered with a trolley of food waiting to be served. Dishes that were meant to be shared. And since Yunjin was leaving for the US, she decided to go all out on Korean dishes, including the abundant sides.

Minju looked at Kazuha for a second to see her gaze lingering on Yujin. Eyes never lie, the feelings they held and that was when she realised where she had seen the girl.

The first time she ever saw Yujin step foot into the cafe.

While the waitress was placing the dishes on the table, Yunjin said, "I haven't introduced you guys." She turned to Kazuha. "Remember that one time I told you about the girl who nearly killed my dress by running too fast?" She gestured at Minju.

"I nearly killed your dress?" This is the first time Minju's heard it, only remembering running across the conference atrium to see someone.

Yunjin chuckles at the memory of the coffee that could've gotten all over her dress. "This is Minju." She turned to Kazuha, introducing her to the other two. "Kazuha. My—"

"Friend." The Japanese girl interrupted, smiling sheepishly when Yunjin gave her the What are you talking about look.

Yunjin tries to read the room, fails, and goes with it, wondering if being exclusive is still too much. "Yeah, my friend," she said. "And she's Yujin." She motioned at the said girl politely.

Yujin gave a polite nod, shifting her body so the waitress could serve the dishes on her side.

Minju observes every little thing happening.

The way Yunjin's eyes spoke to Kazuha who has been avoiding the latter's gaze. They seemed to have something going on but Minju didn't want to assume. Yujin has been trying to d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter