The Mother

The Friend Zone

Point of View : Hyomin

 

It was a cold morning. I slowly walked out of my house for school.

 

Mrs Lee : Hyomin?

 

I turned around to see Hoya's mother smiling at me from across the street.

 

Me : Mrs Lee. (I gave her a quick bow) 

Mrs Lee : Look at you. (she stared at me) Beautiful. (her voice slightly shaky)

Me : Look at me? (I let out a small laugh) Look at you! (I teared up) You don't look a day old.

Mrs Lee : (she gave me a smile, a sad one) He misses you.

 

I stared at her a long while. Only to realize that I, too miss him as well.

 

Mrs Lee : Come over. Sometimes. (she paused) Please.

Me : Mrs Lee...

Mrs Lee : I miss my daughter.

 

I nodded, turned around and walked away. I couldn't stop my tears from falling. 

 

Point of View : Hoya 

 

I ran down as soon as I saw Hyomin heading for school. My mom came in from outside.

 

Me : Mother. (I got close to her) Were you outside? (she didn't answer) Its cold. You shou....

Mrs Lee : You missed her. (she looked at me, I looked away) Again. You missed her again.

Me : What are you...

Mrs Lee : You never miss her. Ever. You always knew when she was going out. But now, you don't.

Me : Its not the same anymore, mother.

Mrs Lee : (she came close and cupped my face, gently) Of course it isn't. 

 

I kissed her forehead and head out for school. " What the hell is that suppose to mean?" I thought. My mother. I can't believe it. I use to hate her. She was barely home and always overseas. But now that I know the truth. I wish I didn't hate her. How could I not know?