Birthday Bicker

The Friend Zone

Point of View : Hyomin

I looked in the mirror as i fixed my uniform skirt. Yoona was taking the ribbon off my hair and straightening it out. 

 

Yoona : No one ties their hair in braids anymore Minnie~

Hyomin : Oh, I thought it was nice. 

Yoona : Well, its not. (she brushed my hair and let it fall on my shoulder) There you go. Now, you look gorgeous. 

Hyomin : I didn't before? 

 

She giggled and ran out. "Hurry down!" she shouted as she left. I took a last peek at myself. Added a little bit of gloss to my lips, took my schoolbag and ran down. "Oops, almost forgot" I thought. I ran back to my room and saw Hoya's birthday present on the edge of my table. I grabbed it and went down. 

 

Mom : Morning sweetheart.

Me : Hi mom. (i turned to look at my sister) Why aren't you in your school uniform?

Yoona : I'm not going to school. I have my interview to attend.

Me : Your what?

Mom : Didn't you know? She got an interview for that sports school she wanted to go. (patting Yoona's head)

Me : (my jaw dropped in shock) You are kidding me. You didn't tell me. 

Yoona : If I did, you'd probably wanted me to act all sophisticated like you. 

Me : No~ (I rolled my eyes) 

 

I looked at the time and squeaked. I gotta go. I gave my sister a hug and my mom a peck. I put on my jacket and head out for school. I saw Hoya waving at me from across the road. I hid his present in my bag and walked towards him.

 

Hoya : Hey Hiccup.

Me : Good morning to you too, Hoya.

Hoya : I am officially 16. (grinning with arrogance)

Me : You are? You don't look it at all. (sarcastically smiling as i folded my hands)

Hoya : You're just jealous coz you still a kid.

Me : Hoya, I turned 16 like, i dunno, 3 weeks ago. Sheesh, grow up.

Hoya : I just did, this morning. 

Me : (I laughed) You are too cute. 

 

He took my arm and we started walking to school. He talked about his night. He told me how his parents couldn't be home. They were busy with their jobs. Hoya's parents aren't cruel or anything. They're the nicest people I know. Their just really busy and tend to forget Hoya sometimes. But they love him to bits. I know they do. 

 

Me : What did they get you?

Hoya : They left a credit card and told me to have fun. 

Me : Well that's great. You are gonna have fun right? 

Hoya : Should I? I mean.. should we? (he looked at me, I nodded) Will we?

Me : Duh! Fun is my middle name! 

Hoya : You don't have a middle name.

Me : Yes, I do. I just said it was fun.

Hoya : Very well! (we almost reached the school gates) 

Me : Race ya to the gates, Birthday Boy. 

 

He started running and so did I. He pulled my bag once I got ahead of him. He jumped on me demanding a piggyback ride. 

 

Me : You're so heavy! (I said, breathless)

Hoya : Of course, I'm a man now!

Me : Then, walk! (I dropped him)

 

He fell on the icy ground. A few giggles from the group of girls at the corner were heard. 

 

Hoya : Morning ladies ~

Girls : Hi Hoya! (waving and squeaking at the same time like he's some kind of idol)

Hyoyeon : Happy birthday, Hoya. (her husky voice almost sounded like she was flirting. Maybe she was)

Hoya : Thanks for remebering, Hyoyeon.

 

They were standing there staring at each other like I wasn't there. I hated the atmosphere.

 

Me : Well, we should get to school. (I gave hoya a nudge)

Hoya : (Finally waking up from his fantasy) Right. Uh, school. 

Me : Bye girls. (I took him away from them) You both gotta quit doing that. Its getting on my nerves.

Hoya : She is beautiful. Did you see? Her eyes. They were sparkling. 

Me : Those are called contacts, Hoya. 

Hoya : Why do you hate her so much?

Me : I don't! 

Hoya : Yes, you do. 

 

We've reached our lockers by now. I grabbed a few book out of my locker.

 

Hoya : Everytime I talk about her, you turn cranky.

Me : No~

Hoya : Yes!

Me No!

Hoya : Yes, you do.

Me : No.. I don't.

 

The bell rang. I'm still annoyed.

 

Me : I'm going to class. 

Hoya : Me too.

Me : Well, I'm going first.

Hoya : Fine!

Me : Fine~

 

We dramatically turned our back on each other and marched to class. Him with his backpack slinged across his back and me with my books to my chest.