Chapter 5 - Contract

Objection, Your Honor! Bakit Ako?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Contract: An agreement between two or more people that creates an obligation to do or not to do a particular thing.

 

 

 

“Battle of brains and buzzer hits! Ladies, gentlemen, and everyone tuning in! Welcome to the Season 6 of Buzz Your Wits!”

 

Ah. Buzz your wits. Never in my life I had expect na hahantong ako sa entablado nito.

 

Before, I was just a young student who looked up to the contestants battling here. My eyes would sparkle whenever I’m immersed watching, my heart would thump with the fiery tension of the competition, and my scream would be so loud if my favored contestant won the battle.

 

Good old days, I may say.

 

To be one with the lucky audience is already a great achievement, what more if I’m already privileged to be a participant in this quiz bee show aired on national television?

 

It’s a dream come true!

 

“It’s starting! Rina don’t be nervous ha!” Giselle is with me backstage. Inaway niya pa nga yung mga staff dahil ayaw siyang papasukin. She defended that I need moral support daw kasi palagi akong kinakabahan sa mga ganito.

 

It’s true... but Buzz Your Wits is an exception, kasi instead na kabahan ako, I feel overly excited to finally come up on that sacred stage and show the world what a Karina Yu could do.

 

Sa tingin ko nga, siya pa ‘tong kinakabahan eh. I can see her uneasy eyes tsaka yung hindi niya mapakaling mga paa at kamay. If this was our normal usapan I would’ve laughed at her.

 

“Gi, ikaw ata yung nervous.”

 

“Ha? Ako ba? Why me?” She’s also not helping. Baka mahawa pa ako sa kaba niya kaya I chose to hold her hand na lang and look up the tv.

 

The show master discussed the rules and mechanics; there will be 6 contestants all in all, 2 competitors per quiz and its best of 10. Whoever gets a perfect score on the first round will immediately proceed the final round – which is mostly impossible because lahat ng contestants ay competitive and highly intelligent.

 

Like how your typical quiz bee show goes, there’s the first round, semi-finals, and finals.

 

Yung first round ay parang elimination round. Kung sino ang mananalo will proceed to the semis.

 

The semis will determine kung sino ang lalaban sa final round.

 

And then, we’ll find out in the final round on who will take home the BYW Season 6 Champion accolade.

 

Kabisado ko na nga kung paano yung takbo ng show na ‘to. Wala kasi ata akong season na na-miss like, I would whine kay daddy kapag ayaw niya akong pahiramin ng TV because he’s watching Sports Cup.

 

Before, I was just on our couch envisioning the moment that I’ll step foot sa BYW stage pero ngayon, I’m really here making that desire a reality. Getting close in holding that shiny, gold prize.

 

Kaya nung sinabi na I got qualified, I only had two sentences in mind;

 

To claim that trophy is the reason why I came here…

 

So, I will not come home empty handed.

 

Other participants are from different universities and some are from the same. They’re all chosen by the heads and professors; they screened and checked every records in order to see who best fits the qualities of a buzzer.

 

It only took them days to approve my qualifications in joining the show whilst I heard from the others na it could take them months and months of screening. I guess hindi talaga maitatanggi ang angking husay at talino na dala ko ano? Chz!

 

I also heard na tatlo raw yung nakuha sa univ namin.

 

I didn’t have the chance to meet them dahil I instantaneously spent my time sa pag-aaral ng mga possible categories na lalabas sa show.

 

My friends and profs were understanding about my inability to attend whatever event they had.

 

Kagaya na lang nung time na there was an event sa school na hindi naman masiyadong important, kaya I decided to pass muna and ask for permission in which they agreed din, thankfully.

 

There was also that moment last time na my friends did not go straight home kasi mag-overnight daw kina Yeji but I said I had other plans which is to study for the competition.

 

I was engrossed in devoting my time sa pag-memorize and pag-basa that my social life really had to take a break.

 

I guess I’ll meet whoever the other two contestants are dito na lang sa show.

 

After breaking down everything that needs to be said; reminders, set of rules, how to buzz properly. Hindi na nagpatumpik-tumpik pa ang quiz master as he started right away.

 

“May I call on, our first two buzzers! Isabel Golez and Rayne Corpus.”

 

Both entered the stage and appeared on TV at the exact same time. Obviously, they’re nervous as they let out heavy breaths – broadcasted on the big screen.

 

“Buzzers, ready? Hands on your chests. Here’s your first question.”

 

Have you experienced na nung una you were not nervous at all? Pero nung papalapit na yung turn mo, your insides churn like how a washing machine would swirl the laundry?

 

Yup, ‘yan yung nararamdaman ko ngayon.

 

I’m now intently watching the two play and I believe, it’s best to ignore my frenzying insides..

 

And what felt like 30 seconds; was already 20 minutes.

 

First round: Part I is already done.

 

Golez and Corpus’ competition was a predictable battle. It seems like Corpus is prepared but Golez came stronger. She literally almost got a perfect score pero nakabawi si Corpus by winning 2 points.

 

Good flow for the first battle.

 

Wala sa first contestants yung dalawa na from our univ so baka sa second or makakalaban ko pa.

 

“Next participants, Ahn Yujin and Winter Kim! Come up on stage please!”

 

Nagpantig ang tenga ko nung narinig yung pangalan niya.

 

Let’s think again about the percentage of possibility na siya yung Winter Kim na tinawag.

 

First, tatlo kami ang kinuha from our univ.

 

Second, considering the requirements to be a buzzer; she’s overqualified – too good.

 

Third, hindi na pala kailangang pag-isipan dahil nakikita ko na siyang nakatayo with her face displayed on the wide screen.

 

You have got to be kidding me?!

 

So, isa siya sa dalawa pang nakuha from our school?!

 

No wonder she was also MIA these days…

 

I can’t handle another defeat from her.

 

Well, ayokong sabihin na talunan ako palagi kapag siya ang kalaban ko but she’s just so persistent in maddening me with her nonsense antipathy.

 

I’m just about to start my ‘ligawan'  or more like 'divert Winter Kim’s attention to me plan’ and I was meaning to do it after Buzz Your Wits!

 

…then this happened.

 

Basta! I won’t allow na ma distract ako sa thoughts ko while doing the quiz…

 

Though, my brilliant mind might have just come up with a wonderful idea.

 

Hmmm.

 

This could be a great opportunity to start with some subtle moves.

 

I smirked.

 

I think I know just what to do…

 

“And a perfect score from Winter Kim!”

 

ANO?!

 

Hindi ko nakita kung paano siya sumagot!

 

And how in the world did she get a straight 10?!

 

Was I thinking for a long while that I didn’t get to watch their quiz?

 

Does that mean siya ang kakalabanin sa finals?

 

“Lastly, Karina Yu and Lee Chaeyeon!”

 

Okay. No time to slack!

 

I stood up head high.

 

Not minding the loud crowd, the cameras that they use to show our faces in the TV, the red buzzer sa harap ko, my opponent who’s one of the students na kinuha from our school.

 

“Hands on your chests please… First question.”

 

I closed my eyes and readied myself. I think mabilis naman ako kasi hindi naman ako perfect sa speed and endurance test namin if it was nothing ‘no.

 

“This law was introduced in 2017 to reduce the tax load of low-income-earners. Buzz!”

 

My hand was never as fast as this moment.

 

“Ms. Yu. Answer.”

 

“The Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion Law also known as The TRAIN Law.”

 

I breathed out a sigh of relief as the host said the word ”correct”.

 

So far so good.

 

“Next question.”

 

The battle went on smoothly in my part as I gained 9 points already.

 

I won’t deny na yung kalaban ko is a strong opponent pero anong magagawa ko? Mabilis ako and sure akong tama yung mga sagot ko. Hmp!

 

Just one more and I’ll see you in the finals Winter Kim.

 

“Buzz!”

 

NO!

 

What was the question?!

 

Kakasabi ko lang na ayaw kong magpa distract sa thoughts ko!

 

“Encomienda.”

 

“Correct!”

 

Nakabawi siya ng isang puntos, causing me to not proceed in the finals.

 

If this was a quiz and nagka isang mali pa ako out of 10, I’ll beat myself up kung bakit namali ko pa ‘yon.

 

Now, I’ll have to play another game with Golez in order to determine who will beat the aussie.

 

“Golez and Yu. Kamay sa dibdib please.”

 

I expected an easier competition; where everything is going according to what I have visualized.

 

Pero bakit ba ko nag expect ng gano’n? This is Buzz Your Wits! And of course, there will never be an easy way if your aiming to be on top.

 

“First Question.”

 

Golez is great. She’s composed and focused.

 

But I can see na hindi siya minsan sure sa sagot niya. I need to identify her game para malaman ko kung paano siya ma outwit. It’s not like pwede kong itago yung buzzer niya ‘no! I don’t do that kind of stuff.

 

Okay, wait! Erase! Erase! Instead pala na basahin ang laro ni Golez, I should focus with mine. Kailangan ko ng strategy to speed up. I also need to set my mind to the questions and the voice of the quiz master only.

 

Let's get this done and over with.

 

And as far as luck would have it, I’ve been continuously buzzing and buzzing.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter