five

Reverie

five

 

 

“Mother, she put our family name to shame!” Jongdae roared when he returned for dinner, barely have been seated with a hot plate in front us when he began his rant. It was unfortunate to face Jongdae in the absence of my father, who always took a kinder approach of my upbringing. Still, I wasn't looking forward to face my father once my brother inevitably tells him.

 

I directed my scowl to my plate, “It’s not like they care for the doings of a common lady.”

 

Lady?” My brother shot a glare, “You think anyone would confuse you for a baroness?”

 

I rolled my eyes, “I can assure you that I’m better trained than some of those who were born into privilege. I spent ten years away, didn't I? I was not allow to waste the time.”

 

Jongdae turned a wonderful shade of red and sputtered his complaints to my mother who sat the head of the table. I avoided her knowing look. She had insisted for me to not go into Madam’s today, perhaps if I would have listened, I wouldn’t be sitting through my brother’s lecture of how I needed to be home if I wanted to secure myself a respectable husband and now have my school truly go to waste.

 

“And if he’s a merchant?” I shouted back.

 

“A merchant?” My mother and brother both questioned as if I was the crazy one for suggesting such a profession for my nonexistent husband of mine.

 

“My Dear, Keira,” My mother started, “I have no idea what has gotten into you!”

 

“What would be so terrible about that?” I argued.
 

“Is this what she picked up at finishing school? The best one in our Kingdom Baekje?” Jongdae grumbled, pushing the food away in the displeasure of a terrible conversation.

 

“Yes,” I simply replied, “I'll have you know that Debating was one of my stronger subjects. And I still have no idea why a merchant is so look down upon, especially by my own family.”

 

“We are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to secure our family into society for generations to come.” My mother begged, “Surely it’s not too much to ask to sacrifice that bit of freedom for your own fated family.”

 

I huffed, “I was born to a low working class family who had forgotten who they are.”

 

“I haven’t forgotten,” My mother insisted, “Which is why I urge you to push yourself, you don’t want the struggle your father and I had to raise you.”

 

“I enjoyed my childhood, thank you very much,” I crossed my arms, “Before all of this.”

 

Jongdae sighed, “Even if the fates hadn’t intervened and we were still poor, Kaira, we would still be in a similar predicament. I would’ve had to leave and learn a trade somewhere else. And mother and father would have work tirelessly to provide you with a small dowry, so someone would take you as their bride.”

 

“Is it that terrible to marry down to a honest good man?” I questioned, “If everything that I want is provided for me?”

 

My mother and brother sat back, looking defeated. Jongdae let out a long sigh and glanced up at my mother, “There's more upsetting news, mother. The Prince requested for her presence.”

 

Our presence,” I corrected as my mother sat up at the news. I took the time to finally glance down at my food and begin nibbling on some well cooked meat that was beautifully prepared by my mother. I could taste the difference.

 

“Which Prince ?” My mother carefully asked, cutting into her own food now. We both dined lightly while Jongdae still refused to touch his food.

 

Jongdae made a face, “Do you really have to ask?”

 

“What would Prince Baekhyun be requesting her presence for?” She asked, intrigued why I was personally asked for.

 

Jongdae rubbed his eyes with his thumb and middle finger, “To join the festivities to search for a suitable bride.”

 

“He’s getting married?” My mother blinked as shocked as I was when I heard the news. My brother gave us curious looks, wondering why we were both so unaware of this news. Perhap this was well known in the upper circles of society, I thought, but we were hard accepted in society at all. 

 

“And Prince Jongin and Prince Sehun, as well. The King and Queen hope one of them can find a suitable bride from the Silla royals they’ve invited. More particulary the Third Prince who has the reputation of the... friendlier Prince among the court ladies.” Jongdae huffed, “I suppose father will be busy organizing security, so I’ll have to the Tigress, here.”

 

“Would you stop referring to me with that name,” I spat back, “It’s enough that I suffered through finishing school with being teased, I don’t need you to call me that either.”

 

My mother whirled back to me, a slight twinkle in her eye. I wasn’t quite sure what she was up to but I knew that she must have suspected something. Even back then, my mother had a lot to say when it came to Prince Baekhyun and I (and it was never anything positive). I felt on edge as her lips pursed as if she was thinking of a plan which only meant she was up to no good. 

 

I huffed, I suppose defiance is a family trait.

 

“Well,” She began, “I suppose it would be rude to deny a direct request from the Prince, himself. Kaira, tomorrow we will wake bright and early. We will go to the dressmakers.”

 

“I have plenty of dresses you’ve made yourself,” I pointed out, "Nice ones."


 “But you will be in the presence of royals, we will make sure you don’t stand out for all the wrong reasons,” My mother assured.

 

I had a sneaking suspicion my mother wasn’t revealing her entire intentions.

 

 

The next day my mother and I visited an old friend. Dressmaker Lay was a well known seamster, who worked close to the Myongwol District. His shop wasn’t very well traversed because it was a privately owned business with an invite only customer base. Luckily for my mother, during our time in the palace, she was able to befriend many skilled workers that were called upon the palace to decorate, to cook, and even to dress the royals themselves.

 

Lay was one of those befriended.

 

My mother dragged me out of the carriage and up a small alleyway, away from the foot traffic of the busy streets, that lead to a rich looking mahogany door that bared the inscribed plated sign:

 

Zhang, Lay
Garmenting Est. 1871

 

My mother knocked on the door and waited… and waited.

 

I mindlessly looked around to see what other private shops were in this alley way but my attention was brough back to the door, which swung open to reveal a family face I couldn’t place my finger on.

 

“Yes?” The man narrowed his eyes, “This is a private business practice-”

 

He trailed off as his eyes soften, analyzing my mother. She graciously bowed at him extending her apologize for showing up without notice.

 

“Mrs. Kim? Wife of the Royal General Kim?” He asked aloud to which my mother responded with a mischievous smile.

 

“The very one.”

 

Lay opened his arms to ceremoniously greet my mother, the way he was used to where he grew up in China. My mother and him let out a friendly laugh as they greeted each other with formalities. Lay finally turned to me and cocked his head.

 

“Who might this be?” He asked, his smile growing in disbelief. He had a strong suspicion as he went back and forth between my mother and I. 

 

 “My daughter, Kaira,” She re-introduced, “The very one who would run away from you during her measurements to go play with the Prince.”

 

Lay nodded slowly, “You made my apprenticeship a living nightmare. It is an honor to see you once again, Miss Kaira.”

 

“I apologize for being unable to keep still.” I bowed, "I'm told I was a bit unruly as a young girl."

 

A bit is an understatement. It must years now since I last saw you… What brings you both here,” He asked directly.

 

“A favor.” My mother pleaded.

 

Lay pressed his lips together a flash of worry crossed his face, “I see.”

 

Judging on the amount of work that he looked like he was in the middle of, it did seem concerning.

 

“We came across an unexpected invitation,” My mother explained, “My daughter did in fact, and we don't know exactly how to dress.”
 

“What sort of invitation?”
 

My mother looked back at me hopefully, “Her presence at the palace for the engagement festivities.”

 

Lay blinked fast, “A private royal function? And who, may I ask, requested her attendance?”

 

“The Prince himself, His Highness, Baekhyun.” My mother raised her brow and that was enough information for Lay to quickly usher us in.

 

Just like in Madam Min’s Apothecary, Lay’s workshop was meticulous organized, except for his small workspace where bits of cut fabric and unfinished pieces were being worked on. It seem slike he had about six mannequins that had been dressed in his current work pieces. He sat us down at his work table and went straight to his wall of colorful fabric. My mother went on describing what I had in my closet, in hopes that we would just need a piece or two to hopefully blend in with the extravagant wear of other royals. Lay shook his head, disagreeing with my mother's plan.

 

“No, no. None of that will do,” He hummed out, “I just got a splendid shipment of new fabric from China. I’ve been dying to use it and I haven’t had any real use for cutting into it.”

 

He pulled out a roll of beautiful, sheer, midnight blue fabric. There were threads intertwine that made it glisten when it caught the light. He showed us how it glimmer when the light shift. Lay looked pleased at our reactions and smiled.

 

“It’s truly a beautiful fabric.” My mother commented, glancing at me, "What are you proposing?"

 

Lay smirked, "I believe only the best is needed when you're dealing with the Royal family... I can squeeze in about four new dresses for Miss Kaira."

 

"Four?" I gasped, unaware that I was being manipluated into an unescapable scheme. 

 

Lay roll his eyes up dramatically and sighed, "Fine, stop twisting my arm. I can whip up a fifth dress if we can conjure an agreement on who will dress your daughter once she is engaged."

 

I felt my mouth drop, "Engaged?"

 

Lay blinked out his confusion before turning to my mother, "Why else would she get a direct invitation from a Prince if not to propose?"

 

"I've only just been reacquainted with him," I explained, "There is no need to assume more."

 

"And even if that were true," He began, picking up a pair of sheers to cut off a piece of thie beautiful fabric, "There will be others would do anything to grab a hold of the attention of someone great like you. And you must look the part."

 

I chewed on my bottom lip. Even if I wasn’t excited to attend the festivities, I began to grow a little worried about how I would be expected to act in some kind of performance expected from the Tigress. Even still, I knew he was correct and thought of all the lessons I had to endure during finishing school. I suppose that I would eventually need to apply them, I just didn't realize it would have to be at a Royal function.

 

“Isn’t the color too dark?” I cocked my head, “I’m sure I’ll blend in with the night…”

 

“Yes,” Lay agreed, wrapping the fabric around me to gain some inspiration , “And no. Trust me my dear I think it’s time for a new style to grace the Royal functions.”

 

"Something eye catching," My mother agreed.

 

"Something legendary."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So no Baekhyun in this chapter but I'll be posting the next chapter soon. Please don't forget to comment, subscribe, or upvote. It means the world to me!