three

Reverie

three

 

 

10 Years Later

“Mother, my work apron,” I called out to her as I braided my hair quickly in the reflection of the looking glass. I smoothed down my plain garment made of beautiful white linen, only the best my mother could conjure. She had been so excited to hear of my return she prepared an entire wardrobe of many beautiful dress that I never touched. Her hopes centered around the idea that I could wear them now that I was out in Society and trained as a Lady.

 

Much to her dismay, I had no interest in attending parties and balls for leaving much of her hard work untouched and unworn. I relied on the simple frocks that were shoved into the corner of my wardrobe. During my schooling, I realized that a clean and easy appearance was fit for me, especially because my interests didn't exactly align with the other students. I took the interest in the study of apothecary while most of the girls sewed, painted. I even have to admit some girls were very talented piano players and singers. I, on the other hand, loved to lead the tea ceremony.

 

Tea ceremony was certainly a difficult task to master and, best of all, it didn't require the restriction of a tight beaded dressed that was needed to entertain.

 

Madam Min, our teacher, must have seen something in me and offered an apprenticeship after I really leaned into tea making. My mother nearly fainted at the result of sending her daughter to a finishing school only to return as an apprentice.

 

She made me promise not to tell anyone of my working endeavors even to my own family, in fear that it wouldn’t sit well with my father or my brother. I agreed only if she promised me that I wouldn’t have to attend any stupid high society parties.

 

Surely the girls that I went to school with would also be out and looking for a husband and I didn’t want to be the topic of a riveting conversation that would deviate from their mundane lives.

 

Most of the time I went unnoticed at school, as plain as a fly on the wall, until my name was mentioned.

 

Kim Kaira.

 

“Kim Kaira? The Tigress herself?”

“Surely not the same four-year-old girl who disemboweled a tiger in front of Prince Baekhyun.”

“Such a beauty like her? Surely it was a tiger cub.”

“Isn’t it scary to see how a lowly citizen can quickly mimic someone from our circles?”

 

Alas, I was able to barter with my mother to attend two functions this year of my choosing, nothing more, nothing less. I just had to be smart about which functions to attend. I grimaced at something large like any Ball’s or even small events like our neighbor’s annual summer feast. Lucky for me, I didn't have to worry about it just yet since it was only acceptable to be escorted to a ball as a single woman. 

 

When I had returned, I was notified that my brother had taken an excursion with the Crowned Prince Junmyeon to enjoy a beautiful summer in Russia. I could only imagine what kind of trouble both men were getting themselves into. Clearly, I didn't have the company of my brother and my father was usually away most of the time. I only had the company of my mother but she was too afraid to attend these frivolous balls considering her lack of education.

 

“Kaira,” My mother sighed as she saw me pin my bothersome thick hair into a low bun, she had my green apron folded over her arm, “No respectable man would marry someone who participates in the working class.”

 

I rolled my eyes up and smiled at my mom through the looking glass, “And what of your work? You make the most beautiful food arrangements for our neighbors.”

 

“Those are gifts.” She pointed at me.

 

“What will they think when they find out it wasn’t our servants who made them?” I winked.

 

“Kaira,” My mother warned, “They know fully well we don’t have a full staff like everyone on in this neighborhood.”

 

I hummed out, “How mysterious, wonder who made the food then?”

 

“Kaira,” My mother snapped, "It would be nice of you to visit them one day! They've heard so much about you and they also have eligible nephews. Kind ones."

 

I didn't want to entertain her words because I knew eventually she would push for more. I stood taller assured that I didn't need assistance to find a suitable partner as I approached her, taking my apron from her arms, kissing her cheek as I walked out of my room and down the stairs to the foyer. Our home was still grand and marvelous in comparison to my childhood home, but it was quite a humble home on the most traversed street of the affluential Myeongwol District: Saeryeo Row.  

 

I bided farewell to my mother who was standing on top of the stairs looking quite dismayed in my life choices, but I couldn’t help myself as I joined the bustle of the street, filled with the society slowly taking their time to get to their destination and around the carriages and vendors. I nearly crashed into a gentleman who gave me such a strange look as I hurried past him.

 

If I had been taking my time, stolling along just like all of high society, then I would have given him a more heart felt apology and noticed how devilishly handsome he was. But, alas, he was left behind with a simple apology as I reached the end of Saeryeo Row and began my small journey to Madam Min’s Apothecary.

 

I loved helping Madam Min out. She was such an outstanding woman of her time running her very own business. Recently, she received such a large order of her special soaps and calming creams that she needed my extra help to fulfill the request and I was more than willing to do so.  

 

I arrived before opening time, announcing my arrival when I came through the back door of her shop. Madam Min screeched from her backroom where she created all her concoctions. I rushed to her side only to find she was beginning her final batch of soaps. The dizzying oils of lavender and honey relaxed me from the hustle and bustle of traveling on the busy streets.

 

“Can you start placing the finished soaps on the ivory dishes?” Madam ordered surrouned by an eclectic amount of items as she stirred a hot pot of wax, “The dishes just came in last night. The silk pouches are also in the same crates.”

 

Ivory? Silk?

 

Confused, I peered into the crate the Madam motioned to as she tended to her pot. I gave her a confused look.

 

“How did you afford-”

 

She cut me off, “Sweet child, afford? Me? I don’t think I have enough money to buy ten of those dishes. They were sent.”

 

I picked up a stack of the silk pouches, all different and ornate and all beautifully hand crafted.

 

“Then who?” I questioned.

 

“Who else would be able to afford the kind of opulence you see?” Madam Min cocked her head knowingly, placing a fist on her hip. Her grin stretched a mile wide when it dawned on me.

 

The Royals.

 

I gave her a slow nod when I realized this important order was for the family that I once knew.

 

I didn’t think too much of that part of my past. I didn’t really question why I was torn away from my studies to a finishing school. Most of my memories were whipped out of me. Anytime I had mentioned the Palace or the Prince or even my family at finishing school, I was taken away for punishment. I suppose it was because I would immediately tear up and crying was not allowed at finishing school.

 

Even now, it was better not to think back to my time there, running wild and free on the palace grounds.

 

I hadn't really thought of the fond memories of reading books with the Crowned Prince in a long time. I even felt guilty indulging in my memories as I began packing some of the soaps on their ivory dishes into the silk pouches. Madam Min instructed me to cushion each pouch once they were placed in another crate.

 

I mechanically and mindlessly continued working, my mind miles away, when the store bell rung signaling a customer had entered. I wiped my hands briskly on my apron and announced myself to the customer before attending them.

 

I reverted my attention back to Madam Min, “Is there anything else you need help with, Madam?”

 

She grinned, shaking her head, “Just tend to the customers, please dear.”

 

I nodded and walked to the front shop of Madam Min’s Apothecary and nearly died on the spot.

 

I noticed my brother first, dressed in his scholar garments. He had aged well during my time away. He still looked quite young, unable to grow the infamous facial hair of a scholar, but still looked wise nonetheless. Next, standing a step ahead of my brother (who was throwing daggers at me with his eyes) was the Crown Prince Junmyeon and his royal guard.

 

The Infamous Duo, I thought. I gave a wearly smile as I ducked my head in respect. I exhaled the breath I had been holding in during that moment in time. Time had not been cruel to Prince Junmyeon. The Crowned Prince was as handsome as ever. It was no surprised to know that even his actions were wildly gossiped about, so much so, it even reached my finishing school. Girls would swoon over Prince Junmyeon after hearing the recent gossip of his scandalous pursuits. I had no doubt that my brother was possibly a faceless character in those stories.

 

Still, Prince Junmyeon's face was always welcomed sight. I wish I could have appreciated this small moment more because I knew it woul dbe short lived. Another body came tumbling in, his laugh ringing through the air as he swatted a court lady away from nibbling at his ear. That’s when my world came crashing back in.

 

Prince Baekhyun pushed himself into my vision and time stood still. He had grown. Where before I recall being taller than him, he was now towering over his own brother. His cute round face was now cut into a more masculine one, except when he was smiling at the court lady. That boyish charm returned all over again for that split second.

 

I felt my hands nervously wringing as I stared into each face, scared of each reaction. Scared of what they would say next.

 

My brother had no clue of my conditions considering he had been traveling with the Crowned Prince and my mother made me swear not to mention it to him when we exchanged letters. I wasn’t sure if the Crowned Prince would even recognize me and the mere thought made me feel unsure.

 

But it was Prince Baekhyun who I surprisingly wanted to know the inner workings of his mind. His eyes were full of joy from the company of his female friend. The joy dissolved as he found himself observing the meticulous organization of Madam Min’s shop and then his sights landed on me.

 

He paused.

 

It felt like an eternity especially because I could sense my brother's glare deepen. 

 

I cleared my throat, “Your Highnesses, we weren’t expecting-”

 

“KAIRA?” Prince Baekhyun blurted.

 

I closed my eyes and saw my brother Jongdae's jaw harden, I knew this meeting will not stay a family secret for long. Dread sank in.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you for subcribing and upvoting, but most of all thank you for taking the time to read this silly little story. I promise you it will be full of fluff.