nineteen

Reverie

nineteen

 

I awoke, my body still unsure of pains caused by a wedding night. It had been the day after, and I felt the breath of life enter me after I slept soundly with a warm body next to me for the first time.

 

It had been a late night, one that I tried to avoid thinking of due to the visceral images that played in my head that would induce a violent shade of red to tint at my cheeks. I could already feel the heat fanning at my face as I burried myself into a pillow, catching a glimpse of a side getting dressed. A moment later, a dip in the bed next to me made me curiously peek once more only to be attacked with a simple kiss on the forehead.  

 

My husband, who cheekily wanted to be called by the name of Sir Khyunbae, announced he must leave to attend to family duties of his and requested I go back home to gather my belongings. He insisted that I stay here for the time being before he figured out better living arrangements for us.

 

I wasn't sure why we couldn’t just stay in this small and quaint home in the woods. The fresh morning and the calm surrounding of nature, I couldn’t imagine a place more perfect to live in. However, I was well aware of the rush and the lack of proper preparation might have contributed to a simple living arrangement.

 

He had promised me much more when we were tangled in the sheets of beautiful linens and coming off a high of intimacy. There was a look in his own eyes that look determined and unwilling to forget his promise.

 

He had swiftly left whispering a loving farewell. I snuggled into the comfort of a marital bed but not for long. An hour later or so, I was greeted by Lord Kyungsoo around midday, escorting me back into the boat he had paddled the night before so he could take me back to collect my things. He was polite and didn’t speak of the night. Instead, he mused me with a piece gossip from the palace.

 

“I heard it was a wild feast,” He smiled, “One would think that the drinks were switched for sleeping elixirs. Jongdae heard it straight from the servants, all of the royals and guest were a groggy mess. The lucky ones made it back to their quarters early for a slumber. Can you imagine? A celebration such as the one they had, and they all slept like solid rocks on the floors of the grand dinning hall?”

 

I kept a smile to myself as Lord Kyungsoo continued rowing, sending me a sincere smile. When we finally reach the dock, we both jumped onto his waiting horse. There was no carriage to stroll me back into Saeryeo Row. Despite my concerns of such an entrance, Lord Kyungsoo insisted it would be fine but I also had no other choice.

 

We galloped towards Hanseong and weaved our way into the busy streets of the markets until I was finally dropped off at my home. Kyungsoo was right in his assumption that it would be fine. Eerily enough there was not a single person on out street. When I pointed it out, Kyungsoo gave me a sheepish smile.

 

“The Palace just officially made and announcement of the courtship between Prince Baekhyun and Lady Ara. I’m sure the Row went off to gossip over afternoon tea.”

 

With that, Lording Kyungoo left and I gather myself to walk up to my home where I was greeted by mother, in shock that I was back.

 

Her eyes were wide and wild, looking like she had just seen a ghost.

 

“Are you alright?” She hissed at me, placing me down in the sunroom as she rushed around to grab a tea pot. I was about to comment how still and quiet our home was when I recalled that our servants were sent away. Father must be at the palace and Jongdae still asleep.

 

“Of course I’m fine,” I mumbled out, feeling like an entirely new woman. My mother gave me a look and I ducked my head.

 

“I know you're wondering of my return” I sighed out, “I was told it would be best if I collected a few of my belongings so I could stay comfortable at the place of stay.”

 

My mother’s eyes glassed over, blinking rapidly so that her tears wouldn’t betray her. She knew she wasn't allowed to know any details of where I was staying.

 

I’m sure she wasn’t thrilled being left out in the dark but after yesterday, there was no doubt that she was briefed and the sheer fear in her dainty face was enough for me to focus back on the next steps.

 

“I will be safe,” I insisted.

 

She gulped, kneading her hands together and let out a sigh, “Yes. Yes. Well, I can help you chose a few things…”

 

While we took a break of placing my things in a chest, we received a request for my presence from the palace in the late of the afternoon. A fear seeped in me when a decorated palace guard stood at the door of our residence and insisted he would not leave without me.

 

I looked over his shoulders to find a fine royal carriage at the front of our home. I complied but not before changing into another of Lay’s creations. It was the palace after all.

 

Dressed in a high neck lace cream colored blouse with pearl buttons and a powered blue wrap skirt, I nervously rushed down the stairs. Tucking the blouse into the tight waist line of the long skirt, I flew out of my home and into the waiting royal carriage in charge of the task of escorting me to the palace.

 

I struggled thinking of what I would be doing at the palace when there was just an official announcement made of the courtship. Perhaps it was a way to taunt the announcement in front of me. Surely, the Queen wanted a sense of assurance that her original was restored, and had to be sure that I understood it well.

 

I was not a part of their elaborate life. I chewed my thoughts out onto my bottom lip, milling the things that I might face. 

 

Before I knew it, I was escorted to the Queen’s Dwellings. It was a beautiful structure that resided next to a bank of water, the balcony stretched out over the water. I’ve heard it was her favorite place in the entire palace and I could only hope not to ruin the peace for her. I was close enough that I was able to hear the joyous chatter of her and her guests were enjoying a pleasant warm day on her modest balcony.

 

Modest for a Queen, I thought, noting of the elegance of the structure decorated with the utmost royal details.

 

They were divulging in cookies and sweets when I had finally appeared around the corner and finally entered through a side entrance, nothing that the windows had been pulled back to enjoy a wonderful day blessed with comfortable weather.

 

I sunk to my knees and properly bowed at the Queen when I was announced to the small gathering.

 

“My Dear Kaira!” The Queen kindly greeted. I immediately felt out of place. There was something different that I couldn’t quite place my finger on. Perhaps I was used to the sharp looks of the Queen from being constantly scolded by her. Maybe she was comforted in the fact that she was finally surrounded by the group of women she chose for her son. I didn’t know, but her eyes had softened and even had a distinct look of melancholy.

 

When three other women looked up at me decorated in their finest gowns, I was brought back to reality with condescending smirks. It was the Duchesses and their mother sharing a knowing look. They had won the favor of the Queen in their eyes.

 

I rose back on my feet and gave a final bow, clasping my hands together at the front of my skirt. It was then when the five familiar faces of the princes’ turned to reveal themselves to me and my heart began to sink.

 

Had I known that I would be sitting in a late teatime with the people present, I would have thrown myself in the water to drown.

 

I quickly dodged Prince Baekhyun’s wide eyes and softly greeted the Queen.

 

“You’re finally here,” She smiled, motioning the other end of the table, the only spot available for me to sit at was right next to her. She lifted a delicate looking teacup to her lips and smiled as I took my seat. The Duchesses’ Mother gave me a long look, who sat across from me.

 

“Always making a statement, Miss Kaira,” She pointed out as I sunk to my cushion for the low rising table. I looked down at my garments and felt a blush creep up my neck, feeling a rush of embarrassment at the attention.

 

“I would have dressed more appropriately if I had more time,” I admitted.

 

Prince Junmyeon cleared his throat, “It is very becoming of you. I often liked the styles that the women wore in Europe.”

 

“Right Junmyeon. I always said, once the marriage preparations are in order a woman drastically changes,” The Queen smiled, causing Lady Ara to sit up straighter. “You must be dying of excitement for tomorrow.”

 

I looked around confused.

 

“Tomorrow?”

 

The Queen hid her smile behind her teacup and cleared . Baekhyun hung his head to avoid the glance his mother gave him.

 

It felt like I had walked into a very calculated set up. I placed my two hands, neatly on the table and watched as a small teacup was filled for me by a servant. I quietly thanked her.

 

“Our cherished Kaira,” The Queen continued, “I hope you know what a pleasure it is that you were able to join us this fine afternoon in hope you would share what is coming tomorrow for you.”

 

I bowed my head, “I apologize in advance but... my brother has kept an extraordinary tight lip. I don't have much to divulge."


Prince Junmyeon quickly jumped in, “No need to apologize.”

 

Lady Ara cleared , “Well I suppose this is the perfect time to then talk about our day tomorrow, right Your Highness?”

 

Baekhyun watched me intently as if he knew I was trying to feign a comfort in this most uncomfortable situation.

 

“Your Highness?” Lady Ara repeated, causing Baekhyun to turn his attention back to Lady Ara. Prince Junmyeon tried to hide his smirk but failed miserably.

 

“Yes?”

 

There was an awkward lull of silence that the Queen refused to bring attention to.

 

"i've got word that most of our things are stowed away in our carriages and we should be prepared to leave after a wonderful breakfast tomorrow morning," The Duchesses mother drawled, "It really unfortunate we can't stay to hear who the lucky person will be to be married to Miss Kaira. Truely."

 

“Miss Kaira, will you ever reveal fortunate man that your brother has sourced?” The Queen piped up. Another very interesting question that brought me a rush of anxiety. Right at that moment, there was a burst of late afternoon light that scattered over the open balcony. I would have considered it a perfect day if it wasn’t for the circumstances I found myself in.

 

I dare say, it casted a beautiful twinkling glow on the row of Princes', as they casually enjoyed their meal with their mother and the unexpected guest.

 

“I…,” I trailed off gulping. I felt myself freeze as all the curious eyes focused on me. Baekhyun pressed his lips together and sent a soft glare towards his mother. With my brother and father off preparing to execute our plan I had no one to help me out of this sticky situation. They always knew what to say.

 

“Is it not one Sir Khyunbae?” Prince Junmyeon mused sending me an undetectable wink in my direction. My shoulders relaxed and I smiled as I gave a small but prompt nod to answer.

 

Junmyeon turned to his mother, “I knew it. Mother, we met this gentleman in my travels with Jongdae. Quite the man, a bit empty headed, a little unfortunate looking-”

 

Baekhyun choked on the scone he had been thoughtfully chew on. Prince Jongin leaned over a very stiff looking Baekhyun and ofter his cup of water. Junmyeon continued.

 

“-hard to tell if they would be a good match, after all how can any eligible man live up to the Tigress?” Prince Junmyeon made a point to grin proudly to the Duchesses mother who pursed her lips in a disapproving manner.

 

Baekhyun cleared his throat and in a rather quiet voice he lent his opinion to the matter at hand.

 

“The scones are too dry.” He mumbled.

 

I reached for one and took a small bite and savoring the crumbling goodness.

 

“I think they’re fine.” I announced, smirking to myself.

 

We connected eyes. Baekhyun gulped and turned his attention back to the array of plates to grab another treat. We had managed to successfully detract from the awkward topic. I felt a bit more at ease.

 

“Where is he from?” Prince Sehun curiously asked, “Surely he’s not from our kingdom or we would have had come across him at one point of time if he shared the same circles as my brother’s.”

 

The Duchess Ara smiled, “Well certainly doesn’t sound familiar to me. Our circles runs smaller… Perhaps the Baekje Kingdom?”

 

I tried not to look at Baekhyun’s stony face as he mechanically reached for another treat. The Queen sat silently as the new information sunk in. She glanced over at her stuff son who certainly didn’t want to be here hearing of this lie of an upcoming wedding that had already happened.

 

The Queen raised her brows, “Well I’m certain your brother has a good eye for a suitable man that your father would approve.”

 

“Would Baekhyun approve?” Prince Sehun snickered quietly under his breath. Prince Jongin joined him in their secret shared laugh causing a pull of tension to heighten the awkwardness

 

Feeling the change of mood, Prince Chanyeol turned to me and smiled, “In your honor, Kaira, we all had an impromptu feast last night.”

 

“It wasn’t in honor of Kaira…” Baekhyun sputtered, looking around nervously worried that something inappropriate was said.

 

“Wasn’t it that harvest moon feast?” Lady Binna gave me an obvious scowl, as it if was my fault that a truth was twisted when I wasn’t even involved.

 

“It was a full moon,” I agreed.

 

Prince Chanyeol smirked and in a now so low voice, he motioned over to Baekhyun with his thumb, “Someone was very upset of a certain wedding, so Junmyeon ordered round after round of drinks for our guests. It was wild.”

 

Prince Jongin, who had looked bored out of his mind a few moments ago, was now animated, “I remember a making toast and happily eating but I can’t remember faces… it felt like I was happily floating away on a cloud. I wish we could share the night with you but it is uncertain how much we drank.”

 

Prince Junmyeon cleared his throat when the Queen shot him a lot, “I just wanted to liven up the mood, mother. Plus, it seems like everyone enjoyed their night. Everyone finally came out of their slumber and not a hangover in sight!”

 

Lady Ara’s eyes twinkled, “I was certain that I was dancing with you, Your Highness, but I had mistaken your Prince Jongin.”

 

There was a questioning silence that fell over the table and Lady Ara immediately began to explain herself after an elbow from her mother.

 

“I don’t mean to say that you and Prince Jongin look alike or that I would ever confuse you,” She spewed out, “Please don’t take offense that I would ever make that mistake.”

 

Prince Baekhyun crumbled into an entertained smile, “I don’t.”

 

“It’s just that, like Prince Sehun mentioned,” She nervously added in, “It was a very strong drink. I usually don’t drink at all so the effects must have been twice as crimpling.”

 

Prince Sehun gave an undignified snort.

 

“Father was hugging the ham,” He hiccuped into a fit of laugh, “I remember Father hugging the ham!”

 

We all shared a laugh. I looked around a bit confused wondering if I should partake more in the laughter for a situation that I was not in attendance of.

 

The Queen nodded slightly, “Well I must say that I do enjoy my cherry brandy but that drink last night, what was it Junmyeon?”

 

Prince Junmyeon’s smile grew into a frown as the question sunk in.

 

“What?”

 

“The drink you ordered,” The Queen repeated.

 

“Chanyeol said you ordered the rounds,” She pointed out, “What did you order?”

 

For the first time ever, Junmyeon was speechless. He blinked rapidly until Baekhyun swooped in to save him.

 

“He must have had a drink before the entire party,” Baekhyun teased, “I think his exact words was bring us the strongest we have, isn’t that right Jongin?”

 

Jongin shrugged, unsure for himself, “I just remember that it felt like I experience the night with bits of pieces glittery fuzz in my vision.”

 

Prince Jongin pointed to Lady Binna suddenly and smirked, “You were crying! Weren’t you?”

 

The Duchess looked very offended at Jongin’s playful accusation.

 

“How absurd!” She scoffed, “I am a Lady and I conduct myself as such!”

 

Prince Baekhyun seemed very amused of all this and even the Queen who was holding back a smile, covered politely with a napkin before she divulged in her own story.

 

“I can’t recall much, but I do remember being help back into my quarters and asking my maids to turn off the moon,” The Queen giggled, “I was told when I woke that I wasn’t looking at the moon.”

 

“What were you looking at your Majesty?” The Duchesses mother leaned in curiously.

 

“I was looking at the opal in the King’s crown!” She mused breaking down into a laughter very much like Prince Sehun would. They shared the same charming eye smile.

 

“And you Baekhyun?” Prince Sehun raised his brows, “What do you remember of the night?”

 

Baekhyun's cheeks turned red and he turned to Chanyeol.

 

“W-why not ask Chanyeol!” He defensively said. I took a sip of my tea. It was really warm in here, wasn’t it. I shifted around in my seat and watched on at Prince Sehun bullied Baehyun into submission.

 

He pouted shoving Sehun away from jabbing his elbow into his side, “I just remember the night like a dream.”

 

Not that I didn’t care for the nights of the others, I just was uniquely interested in what Baekhyun had to say. I did my best to not look too interested in the words of his night in case the watchful eye of the Queen was thoughtfully watching my reactions.

 

“Well I’m not sure if it's true but I can recall something about skin… lots of skin… Was Chanyeol trying to convince the entire table that was natural?” He slowly began and Chanyeol sat up straighter.

 

“Oh!” Chanyeol blinked, not an ounce of shame in his face appeared, “Did I lecture anyone who could hear me about my travels in France?”

 

Prince Junmyeon crossed his arms and nodded slowly, “I do think you were pulling at the strings off your robes…”

 

Chanyeol paused before he roared into laughter.

 

I took my final sip of tea as I dodged the smallest of smiles from a Prince.

Baekhyun looked around at the mess of the feast. He gave his brother a hard look as the disaster played in front of their very own eyes.

 

Everyone was acting loopy.

 

Their father was hugging a very disgruntled Mother of the Duchesses who was wearing a hideous brown frock laced with unfortunate jewels. Sehun was stuck in the corner hearing Lady Binna crying about how she wasn’t chosen to be courted. Jongin was gleefully dodging the advances of Lady Ara who was loudly begging for a dance. With a lopsided grin, Prince Jongin leapt over people who had taken refuge of the warm floors of the palace, their bodies draped drastically over everything: the tables, chairs, and even other people.

 

Every single guest that had been well taken care of over the past few weeks was now in a spectrum of witless actions, half lidded looks, and slurred speech.

 

The pinnacle of the trifecta was the tallest of the brothers.

 

Chanyeol was pointing a stern finger at their friend Minseok, who blinked blankly up at the tall Prince who had trouble managing the volume and tone of his voice.

 

“Bare skin is a gift to humanity,” He slurred out, “To deny the pleasures of , is going against nature it self! We were not born with garments and ormamament… ornalamants-”

 

Chanyeol paused and huffed at the inability of his tongue, “Ornaments. Look here.”

 

He shoved a sleeve up his arm baring the milky smooth skin of a royal gesturing to a stone cold face.

 

“Look at all we hide and for what reason?” He passionately asked statue of the bust of the Late Ruler, their Grandfather.

 

Baekhyun dragged his eyes over all the mess back to Junmyeon who stood as sober as he was. His brother simply shrugged.

 

“Jongdae didn’t tell me how much we should give them.” He mumbled, “I peeked back into the kitchens to see how much we had left and I… I think some of our staff also drank some.”

 

Baekhyun gulped, “I suppose it’s hard to control these things, what of the guards from the west gate?”

 

Junmyeon gave a prompt nod, to ensure that their other targets had a bit of the tea that Jongdae had procured from Madam Min.

 

With that, it was enough for Junmyeon and Baekhyun to feign a loopy kind of act as they passed their staff who were onlooking in astonishment. They spent their efforts trying their best to help the situation while the two brothers slipped past the giggling guards who seemed to have been squeezing out tears from their laughter, pointing to a tree.

 

Baekhyun took off his wig and tucked it under his plain hanbok as Junmyeon joined him in a worn down carriage they had found in the stables, borrowing it from a guest, they assumed. With that, they left the hysteria of what was mean to be a feast to honor the full moon harvest, and rode off into the richness of the night guided by the warm light of a honey moon.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Surprise! Another chapter~ If it wasn't clear before, then I hope this is a HUGE clue and an insight of what happened behind the scenes. I think you can guess why the ceremony was bumped up.

 

; )