four

Reverie

four

 

 

The feeling of time slowing to a pause when I locked eyes with Prince Baekhyun was a cause of concern. My brother had cleared his throat to catch my attention and it was then when I realized I hadn't shown any respect greeting them. I mutter my apologies as I bent my knees, preparing myself to kneel down. The Crowned Prince stopped me from bowing fully at him, insisting I had no reason as an old family friend. 

 

“Please don’t,” He kindly said with the warmest smile on his face, “I’d find it insulting that you think I would impose an old friend in such a way.”

 

“Please impose,” My brother muttered under his breath, embarrassed.

 

“We are here to pick up the palace orders,” Prince Junmyeon announced, causing the blood in my face to drain. Pick up? We were not finished.

 

I gulped, “Please, um, take a seat. Let me check with Madam Min and fix you a cup of her special tea.”

 

The three men silently moved towards the small table in the corner of the shop, while the guard stood at the door. I jumped into the backroom, nearly losing my mind.

 

“Madam Min!” I hissed in urgency, I went around picking up a kettle for water and a few of the tea leaves that Madam Min loved to drink herself, “It’s the Crowned Prince!”

 

Her eyes twinkled, “Is it now?”

 

“What do I say? What do I do?” I whined, putting the kettle over a fire, “They are here to pick up the orders.”

 

“Well, they are not complete!” She obviously said as calm as could be.

 

“I know!” I chewed on my lip, pacing around. I suppose the eruption of nerves weren't exactly because we wre not finished but rather because there were two bodies a few steps away that I hadn't seen in years.

 

Madam Min let out a long sigh, “We have part of their order complete; they can take that today and, in two days’ time, I'll have it delivered to the Palace.”
 

I nodded, clearing my throat, “Perfect.”

 

I mindlessly fixed up a tray of cups and their arrangement of leaves before I walked back outside and set up the table for them.

 

“I apologize for our humble tea set,” I bowed my head, “This is the best we have.”

 

I ignored Prince Baekhyun's awe, as I practiced a very simplified tea ceremony, carefully choosing only the best leaves for them. Prince Junmyeon smiled at me, “Please do not worry yourself over such trivial things. Your brother here was just telling us that you spent ten years at finishing school, is that right?”

 

I bowed my head again, “Yes, in Baekje.”

 

Prince Junmyeon grinned, “I’ve heard the training is particularly exquisite there. When did you return?”

 

I cleaned wiped the tiny cups with a linen cloth after washing them out with the hot water, "About a month ago."

 

“Why are you here if you attended school?” Prince Baekhyun spoke up and it caught me off guard, I nearly knocked over the kettle as I began pour more hot water for the leaves to start seeping. It was his voice that kept distracting me. It had deepened but it still had that same tone with him. The same tone that annoyed me and entertained me to no end when I was twelve years old. My brother turned to me expectantly, as if he had the same damn question floating in his mind.

 

“At finishing school, Madam Min was our instructor for tea ceremonies.” I explained, “I became rather fascinated with performing tea ceremonies, but I was particularly gifted in recalling the properties of tea leaves.”

 

Prince Baekhyun blinked. Even his brother seemed to hang on to my every word. 

 

“I know the notion of a woman working is quite unheard of, especially if they come from society,” I explained, “But, I wasn’t born into society nor do I hold the same standings as my brother.”

 

“But you have the Royal family backing you up,” The Crowned Prince reminded.

 

“And I’m forever grateful for the kindness you’ve bestowed on my family,” I added, “It is because of that backing, I feel confident enough to have my own pursuits, instead of waiting for a prospect, like mother wants me to, just to secure a stable spot in society.”

 

Jongdae looked away, feeling guilty for knowing that his spot will never be questioned like mine. Even with a bit of luck, he worked hard to earn his place in society. My father as well, who’s became a celebrated tactical figure in the military. Mother followed her role as matron of the manor pretty well. She and her small staff of three ran the manor to the best of their abilities.

 

It was I who had a hard time figuring out where I fit in after my schooling, without having to be married off.

 

“Kaira!” Madam Min called, “The fire!”

 

I quickly excused myself to extinguish the fire I had left on to rush back to the visitors. I returned swiftly, changing the topic to explain the tea leaves to the three men.  

 

“Valerian Root and Lavender,” I announced, pouring their prepare tea hot water carefully into their cups, “After long travels, the body is tense from the diversion of its routine. This should help give you a well-deserved healthy rest.”

 

Prince Junmyeon smirked at his brother, "I suppose this is a different way you can relieve some tension instead of chasing the court ladies around, brother."

 

The Crowned Prince took a first sip and gave a satisfied sigh. Prince Baekhyun looked like he would take the chance to murder his brother at any moment, holding himself back with a clenched fist and a tight jaw. I bowed to show my gratitude when the The Third Prince took a small moment to sip all of his tea. 

 

I inwardly smiled when the tenseness of his jaw relaxed and he took a long inhalation to calm down. That was the magic of tea. I picked up the teapot once again and offered more to him, “Please allow me to pour you another."

 

The Prince took his eyes off his brother and quitely accepted more.

 

“Travels you say,” Prince Junmyeon swirled his tea around in his cup, giving it a curious look. I gave him a prompt nod to confirm. Prince Junmyeon, looking very impressed finished up his serving, “Shall we add this to our order then?”

 

“It’s all too much, brother,” Prince Baekhyun insisted, "The soaps and creams..."

 

The Crowned Prince shook his head, “Nonsense, Father and Mother are expecting our guests to be comforted with the very best. A tea like this would be a kind gesture to serve when they arrive.”

 

I blinked rapidly, “You'll be having visitors soon? How many?”

 

“About ten royal families, so about two hundred,” Prince Junmyeon informed, looking unfazed with the number at all. I began to tally all of our supplies and the soaps and the creams, and now teas…

 

My brother, taking note of my confusion, reached out for my elbow to ground me back to reality, “Sister, don’t you know?”

 

“Surely she must,” Prince Junmyeon smiled, “We are now in the marriage market, our father is organizing several events this month so we could find a suitable match to strengthen our kingdom.”

 

“Oh,” I let out the small breath of air escape my lips, “Well I hope you can find someone that is both suitable and you like as well, Your Highness.”

 

The Crowned Prince laughed, “Oh no, it's really not for me. For Baekhyun and the two youngest. I suppose our parents weren't too happy that Baekhyun has been teaching our younger brothers on the ladies of the court. By the way, is your friend stil out there?”

 

Baekhyun hissed out a warning to his brother who gave him a cheeky grin as I pour a second cup of tea for him. I felt an extreme sense of tightening in my throat. I don’t know why that took me by surprise. Perhaps I was shock to see such an old friend so suddenly and unexpectedly, and to hear that he was in search for such a partner.

 

My brother looked at me, expecting me to say something and not look like an idiot.

 

“I extend my wishes to you too, Your Highness,” I gave Prince Baekhyun a forced smile, “I’m sure the King and Queen will only treat his guests to the best festivities for your hopeful search.”

 

“Please come,” He unexpectedly said. The teasing nature of the table has disappeared as my brother and the Crowned Prince turned to Baekhyun in shock.

 

“Your Highness,” My brother cut in, “We couldn’t possibly-”

 

Prince Baekhyun ignored my brother and turned to me with an earnest look on his face, “Please.”

 

It was a strange sound coming from a dignified prince, the tone of a desperate plea. 

 

“It’s been so long since I’ve seen you,” He said, standing up, taking a step towards me. I took a small step back.

 

“Would you like another kind of tea,” I suggested, looking over my shoulder, eyes wide at Prince Baekhyun’s advancement. "I could fetch something else from the back." 

 

I had hope this would give me a moment to divert his attention for the second I need to get away.

 

“You missed my honoring and then your sudden departure…” He recalled whisper as if he didn't intend for the two pairs of ears to hear, “Just for old time’s sake, please join.”

 

The Crowned Prince had taken another gentle sip from his cup, “I think that sounds like a wonderful idea. One of the best you've had all year, brother. If your standing in society is something you want to secure. Miss Kaira, there will be plenty of Barons, cousins of the Families invited.”

 

“I don’t see why they would be interested in marriage.” I shook my head, nearing the age of twenty-three was already enough to raise a suspicious brow for a women in Society. I suppose working would also cause more criticism but I had a foolish plan to keep that a secret for the rest of my life.

 

Jongdae took a sip of tea and scowled at nothing in particular, “All you really have to do it introduce yourself as The Kim Kaira and I’m sure you’ll be swarmed with curious Lords waiting to be told the tale straight from the woman herself.”

 

Prince Baekhyun worriedly gave his advice to my brother, “Which is why you should your sister to all of the events.”

 

“I’m sure mother would hate to miss out on all the prospects The Tigress can accumulate.” Jongdae sneered at me, "She can my sister."

 

Baekhyun wheeled around to face my brother, but the Crown Prince beat him to a response, “But surely she will need the meticulous eye of her brother to weed out anyone deemed unsuitable.”
 

“They will all be unsuitable,” Baekhyun interjected. We all stared at Baekhyun for a stretch of time. Even the guard at the door seem to take interest in the conversation now.

 

Baekhyun glanced at me and frowned, “The guests are from Silla and it is quite far, your parents wouldn’t be too pleased if you’d have to settle so far from them.”

 

The conversation was ridiculous. I hadn't even really given the marriage market any serious thought and there I was, standing helplessly, as three men were talking about my own eligibily and prospects. 

 

“Why can’t they resettle here?” I questioned causing a burst of laughter from all in the room, even the guard as well. I shot them all glares, criticizing the unfairness of being a woman in this century.

 

It wasn’t long before they all finished their tea and Madam Min came out instructing the Palace guards on what crates they could load to their royal carriages. I cleaned up as our customers began for the door, I tried my best not to look so much at the Princes but I couldn't help myself. Prince Junmyeon brought so many nostalgic feelings of first loves and memories of reading in the spring time. But for Prince Baekhyun, hanging on to our memories felt more like I was going to lose him. 

 

Flashes of his impending future tore my insides apart, especially when I thought far ahead, at the inevitable Royal marriage and a beautiful bride by his side, surrounded by his very own delicate royal children. As they departed, he sat by the window of the carriage taking the liberty to openly stare as Madam and I stood outside her shop to properly bid them farewell. As the horses began to pull the carriage, Prince Baekhyun stuck his head out looking back and I could only imagine what he thought when he saw my future.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I promise the fluff is coming... with a bit more obstacles in the way, but nevertheless, it's coming. (sprinkled with a big of angst) ^^