twentythree

Reverie

twentythree

 

I think there came a time when I realized the course of my life was about to radically change and I think that was what that shaman had predicted a long time ago. Perhaps the first time was intended as a road that I happened to come across on, but this time, it certainly felt like I had the choice.

 

My steps felt glacial as I was led into the Geunjeong Hall, where all political affairs took place. Even during my stay at the palace I had never dared to step inside the daunting looking structure. I felt even more insignificant as I looked up at the pointed edges of the beautifully decorated roof and scaled down to see the guards at the door. I ascended up the side steps and gave them a polite bow.

 

Even from the outside I could hear the murmur and the chatter that was going on inside.

 

The two guards exchanged looks and let out a formal shout to announce a new visitor. I held in my breath as the doors were pulled open and I stepped in.

 

It had been mid morning when I had arrived at the palace, I had taken a quick detour to visit someone special in the morning before I found myself to be escorted to the Hall. The day had turned into an early afternoon and was so pleasantly bright and warm. When I entered it took me a moment to adjust to the low light of the hall. I squinted for a moment, wanting to rub my eyes but remembering it was no lady like at all. When I was able to clear my vision, I took note of all the nobles and scholars that sat around the perimeter of the hall as one singular person was kneeling before the throne.

 

My father.

 

He looked over his shoulder and I could see his body slump in realization. Had I been forthcoming with my father, or anyone for that matter, about my intentions on crashing this inquiry? No. Even with the information of my expected attendence, I probably would have still caused such a stir among the curious onlookers.

 

Even Baekhyun rose to his feet the moment the doors were pulled opened, and I walked to the center of the room to stand right behind my father. I felt the eyes on me as I pushed down a faint light feeling in my head. Perhaps it was too soon to say that I had been fully recovered from the days of poor sleep, but one full night’s rest was enough to push my bravery to the center stage.

 

I didn’t know what to expect. I had realized that Baekhyun mentioned it was a public affair and that I had nothing to worry about when I had him and his brother to defend my father's honor. But after seeing the father figure of the Jol Family, sitting to the left of our King, did I feel reassured in my actions. I suspected that he just arrived this morning from his own travels after he realized Baekhyun had returned... or escaped.

 

I looked at the Queen long and hard hoping that they couldn’t see the wavering weakness in front of two powerful families of two different kingdoms. I blinked back the floating sensation of my defiance and set my eyes on the two thrones. I did my best to not let my eyes wander to the Queen’s right, where all her sons were seated next to her. Baekhyun slowly sank down in his seat, his eyes wide and scared for me.

 

My eyelids felt heavy as the Queen spoke.

 

“My Dear Kaira, what a… surprise to see you here.” Her jaw was firm, but her voice was steady. “I suppose you wanted to support your father in this inquiry.”

 

I gave a single nod.

 

She continued, “It’s nice to see you again. We caught wind of an illness here at the palace. You came down with something during your Honeymoon, cutting it short, is that right?”

 

 “Indeed it was but fortunately I feel my strength has returned,” I gave a curt smile. The Queen shifted around in her throne, uncomfortably.

 

She pursed her lips, “I am very sorry to hear of your unfortunate illness, I hope you are fully recovered. As for your father, we have become aware of some very pressing matters on behalf of your family. I’m sure you have been made aware.”

 

The blood in me ran ice cold, “I have, Your Majesty?”

 

I felt my eyes dart to the Head of Jol who looked unconcerned with my presence, as if I was just another insignificant obstacle to get by to achieve what they wanted.

 

“Your father has admitted to some unauthorized searches in our archives. As his daughter, has he mentioned a reason why he was snooping?” She began, “Our sources have seen him pouring over our scrolls a few weeks ago, as well as trespassing restricted areas in the Jol Family’s residence. An… embarrassing look for our kingdom. No doubt that you would agree.”

 

Glanced down at my father who looked quite pale. I felt the corner of my mouth pull up as the King leaned forward in fascination. He was relishing in such a display of humbling indignation. Baekhyun’s eyes rounded slowly sensing the danger that was possibly seeping from my eyes. I could feel the string of an arrow beginning to tighten as my target was locked.

 

“Mother.” Baekhyun began.

 

“Of course, Your Majesty. There is no need to doubt that it was a poor representation of your loyal subjects. But what we’ve come across is far more vile than a subject of yours trespassing.” I paused for a moment, my sights bouncing around at the amount of people in the room, “We have reason to suspect a festering plot rotting in your Kingdom. Something you would find of interest in hearing.”

 

There was a pindrop of silence that overcame the room full of titled men and woman, and scholars and scribes, at the edge of their chairs, some leaning over to get a better view at the sudden turn of events.

 

“We?” The King chuckled, “A plot of what form?”

 

I couldn’t help but to notice Baekhyun was panicking. I was treading very dangerous waters and he was worried but unable to do anything.

 

I cocked my head, “Well, Your Majesty, I regret to have to announce it so publicly, but your atrocious political movements have come to light and it’s something that is only fair your Kingdom knows. I suppose it's only fair they know but also their right to know.”

 

The usual bright, rosy cheeked King fell into a scowl, skin as pale as parchment.

 

“Atrocious?” The King hissed.

 

“I suspect you’ll soon regret the number of scribes I can assume you ordered here, for a simple inquiry. Strange is it not?” I glanced at Baekhyun and felt a knot lodge up in my throat. I could be thrown away, lynched perhaps. Seeing how the King was now lowering his gaze at me, I was possibly an order away from my death, yet the Queen held her hand up, letting the guards know to hold back.

 

“Whatever are you talking about girl? You dare to speak your King in such a way after all the gifts we have bestowed on your family over the years.” He hissed, very unroyal-like. I paused, feeling the tense atmosphere. If the outcome of this wasn’t my blood spilled, then it would be the scandal of the century for everyone to witness.

 

“People like your family are the kind that bite the hand that feeds them,” He snapped, looking around at his observing subjects to make a point. He meant that families like mine could seem like well-bred families but will never truly be one.

 

“Perhaps, I can voice my disagreement, then,” I raised my voice over the low buzz of the mumbles, “People like you are the kind that are the scariest, Your Majesty. Whatever my father was caught doing, it served a greater purpose to reveal what you have hidden. Since I can only assume that this rather large inquiry is meant to accuse him of something rather than to simply know.”

 

The Queen slowly turned to her husband, her gaze was sharp, and her jaw tense but she held the most dignified posture as she waited to hear her husband’s response. The King had gripped the armrest of his throne so tightly, his knuckles had turned white. He was racking his brain to shoot back a damning rebuttal but even the Head of Jol let out a scoff.

 

“You’ve hidden your intentions in plain sight and blinded us so cleverly for the benefit of no other but your own.” I placed an assuring hand on my father, “You were willing to sacrifice anything, even your own blood for your own gain, did you not?”

 

“You treacherous girl!” The King shouted rising to his feet, “No amount of schooling could pound the lowliness out of you. The nerve of displaying your ignorance. It is not me that is on trial, you father is being questioned for prying into unauthorized places.”

 

“A trial? I thought it was an inquiry." I glanced around the room to sense the budding confusion that was now sprouting in the spectators. "My father's prying has led us to  plenty of questions we have for you.”

 

I could see the reaction of Junmyeon's face as he raised his brows and cover his mouth to conceal his small growing smirk. 

 

“You called upon a family of tiger hunters and expected them to never suspect the curious nature of how two tigers casually found themselves in the palace.” I scrunched my nose, "Very telling."

 

The Queen closed her eyes.

 

“An impressive breach, is it not?,” I glanced at the guards, in hopes that the following words were not taken as an insult, “Seems unlike the palace guards to not spot such a large animal, like a tiger, and two of them at that. The inadequacy seems quite impressive, if not insulting, if our top trained guards let two big mistakes go undetected.”

 

The King turned red, “Are you-”

 

“Miss Kaira,” The Queen began, “If you have something to say, get on with it.”

 

The Queen glanced at her King and there was something broken in her look and I knew I was the one who broken it.

 

I glanced at the Queen, “You had bestowed upon us riches that would have never been possible in our lifetime and I ask Why? What purpose did it serve keeping us close? A year’s worth of your riches would have lasted us a few decades if we were sent away with that reward. We weren’t ever meant to be thanked but observed by the King, is that right? Our lowly status and ignorance kept us distracted and silenced to not question anything of that day. But I ask of you and your public this: How did the tigers infiltrate the walls of this palace without detection?”

 

“Is this how the infamous Tigress shows her loyalty to the King?” The Head of Jol, Father of the Duchesses, pipped up. He gave me a wicked glare and returned his disapproving look. I no longer felt the anxiety that had been eating me alive for the past weeks. All I had was these last moments that could determine the rest of my life. I was aware I had placed in motion something that could not be stopped, it was now or never to make it be known.

 

“Are you insinuating an involvement from me? You will be hung for treason!” The King snarled.

 

“NO!” Baekhyun shouted, rising up from his seat and striding over to me. The Queen's proper posture deflated and hung her head. I blinked and Baekhyun was at my side, shielding me from his father’s sight, “You can deny her allegations all you want, but you will not lay a finger on her.”

 

I peeked around Baekhyun’s shoulder and narrowed my eyes at the fuming King.

 

“My Queen,” I began and her face tore down. There was a hint of betrayal in her eyes and it had been hard to pinpoint where she felt the most deceived.

 

“Baekhyun,” She whispered out, but Baekhyun took the time to look around at the court.

 

“The Kim Family has found sufficient evidence, evidence that I have seen with my own eyes, of the Silla’s Kingdoms involvement of the tiger breech, only to reveal their underlying motives for the Kingdom's forced union.” He announced, “The breech that nearly costed my life was set for their benefit. What better way to show our kingdom that we are unable to defend against any threat than attack the heart of our Kingdom with tigers?”

 

The Queen shifted uncomfortably in her seat once more.

 

“What other kingdom prides themselves in defense?” Baekhyun question, “What other solution do we have for the so-called inadequacy of our defense other than to unify two kingdom’s that wouldn’t have the need prior?”

 

The King laughed, “My boy, you defend this girl and her accusations? Where are your loyalties?”

 

“I do,” He gritted his teeth, “I will follow my wife’s lead in anything she does. I’m forever indebted to her, father, just like the debts of your natal Baekje has with Silla. You talk about loyalties as if its my greatest fault when yours has always laid with Silla. You were ready to marry me off to settle Baekje’s debt with them.”

 

A wave of whispers erupted all around us and things began to look a lot cleared for the Royals sat in front of us.

 

The Queen remained unusually quiet. My father limped over his lap, sensing the tension in the room. Perhaps he was still ill from the travels, so it was up to me to make sure that I stayed strong. I needed to be strong. Baekhyun as my shield, reached behind him to grab my hand and squeezed it in reassurance.

 

Baekhyun turned his attention to my mother.

 

“The proposals offered in my stay in Silla were grossly in their favor. Father offered me up as a sacrifice thinking I wouldn’t question the preposterous marriage contracts I was being forced to agree to. If he was willing to sell me off for a debt, there is a high probable chance that my father, our King, would go as far to rig the tigers in our grounds with the help of the Jol family, to ensure that our Kingdom would rely on Silla, and eventually become depended on their protection.” Baekhyun growled, “You were willing to sell me off for your benefit. You were willing to place the lives of the people in our palace in danger for your own benefits. If you are capable of such things, what else are you willing to put our people through?”

 

“I did no such thing!” He shouted, “You will face the consequ-”

 

“Our family has no involvement in this family scandal!” The Prince Jol boasted.

 

“Except your family is known for breeding the most spectacular tigers in all of Silla.” Baekhyun shot, “I’d have to thank the Duchess Ara for allowing me to see the menagerie for myself, it’s quite impressive in size. In fact, I have my personal guard as witness to this beautiful collection of well bred tigers.”

 

“Treason!” The Prince of Jol shouted, in hopes to egg the King on and lock up his son and throw away the key.

 

“You throw these accusations with no real evidence,” The King snarled, “You have no way to prove-”

 

“Then prove your innocence. Where are the scrolls of the day of the breech?” Baekhyun raised his voice at his father, before he pointed at the royal scribes, “What purpose do they serve if not to detail the occurrences of what happens every day within the walls of this palace? Wouldn’t you consider such an event to document the details of that day?”

 

“Missing information isn’t enough to throw such accusations-”

 

“Then where are the scrolls,” Baekhyun raised his brow, “Bring forth your counter evidence.”

 

“A son challenges me?” The King narrowed his eyes, unwavering in his defense.

 

Baekhyun twisted his face, “A son? Just a son? Is that all I was, father? What answers do you have for the missing scrolls?”

 

“They’re not missing.” The King gritted his teeth in anger.

 

“Where are they?”

 

“They’re not missing.”

 

“Conjure them, then,” Prince Junmyeon turned to his father and shook his head, “This is enough of a spectacle in front of the court what easier way to prove your innocence than to show the scrolls.”

 

The King sat still at the sound of his eldest’s voice.

 

“I’ve heard the reports from our most trusted informants from the investigations carried out in the Jol Family Residence, father.” Junmyeon quietly announced, “And I’ve read the very little that was inscribed in the scrolls. You may be questioning the unauthorized access of the scrolls from General Kim but the suspicions are not founded on mere speculation. Your avoidance is telling.”

 

“This is blasphemous!” The Jol Prince stomped, looking around to address the spectators, “What a sick way of having such a low family twist their way into royalty, this Kingdom has shown the severe lack of care of who they select for their own. I was promised a prince for my Daughter, and a Prince I will get. The sanctions on trade are getting ridiculously out of hand. I hate to bore you with my observation but this pathetic romance is getting in the way of a political decision that affect more than just us. It will the whole of two Kingdoms.”

 

I stepped away from Baekhyun and moved towards the Jol family.


“Then keep it political.” I pointed out, “What use was it to manipulate our kingdom by implanting a conniving King and planting doubt and fear into our kingdom if it wasn’t for an ulterior motive. The Queen didn't decide on the marriage, did she? Who was it that brought forth the idea.”

 

There was silence and I took the time to address the spectating court, while the Queen thought of the small fact that I knew to be true. She was processing her own manipulation as I carried on, wasting no time.

 

“They were female,” I blurted out, “The two tigers of the day of the breech. Quite an odd thing of encountering two, considering tigers are not pack hunters, is it not?”

 

The King huffed, “Another word and I will have you both taken away.”

 

“Your Highness,” I turned Prince Junmyeon, “Would you care sharing what the informants had revealed to you of the mangerie of tigers owned by the Jol Family.”

 

Prince Junmyeon gulped, “All females, with the genetic disposition of a bent ear. Baekhyun had confirmed it as well when the Duchess Ara had given him the tour.”

 

The Queen looked ghastly white as her husband, The King, refused to accept the mounting evidence.

 

“If it isn’t telling, Mother” Prince Junmyeon continued, “Please take into consideration the reactions of the accused.”

 

The King snapped out of his glare at us and turned his attention to his first son. There was a tense moment of seething rage coming out of his eyes. His chest was visibly rising up and down as he began to realize how many eyes were intently watching him.

 

His jaw clenched and he cleared his throat.

 

“Fine.” He haughtly said, “I’ll get the scrolls myself.”

 

I blinked rapidly as Baekhyun looked over his shoulder to find me holding on to the fabric of his hanbok, in suspense. The King began to storm off as Baekhyun pulled me to the front.

 

“You should be standing proudly, next to me,” He whispered, with a kind smile on his face. I accepted his suggestion and stepped up, Baekhyun gave my hand another reassuring squeeze.

 

There was peace for a second. It felt like all was going to be okay until, it wasn’t.

 

There was a startling commotion coming from the corner of the room. A few people scrambled out of the way, falling over chairs to clear the way as shouts were heard from behind the small crowd.

 

The disruption cause Baekhyun and I to rip our eyes off each other to observe the source of the commotion.

 

Then suddenly, the crowd gave way to the King who, in his rage, held up a bow and arrow, aiming it straight at my father who was still on his knees. Adrenaline rushed through me as I saw in slow motion the King draw back his arrow and took his aim.

 

I lunged for my father, pushing him out of harms way. If anything, I hoped the arrow would hit me. I didn’t care. My father in no way deserved to be targeted. I felt the reverberating shrill screams as the whistle of the arrow cut throw the air and ricocheted off the smooth marble floor. My father’s soft body was well out of harms way as we took the impact of our fall. It took me a moment to assess my own body and realize I was unscathed and wasted no time to check on my father.

 

There was another commotion as the guards surrounded the King who was now in a full blown hysteria and the Prince of Jol was being detained.

 

I felt justified.

 

It was tipping in our favor, but not quite.

 

The voice of Baekhyun pulled me back from the chaos that was playing in front of me.

 

“Kaira…”

 

I lifted my eyes up at him..

 

Baekhyun’s eyes were glassy but void as he blinked rapidly falling to his knees. His hand reached up to his arm where the color of crimson red began to seep through. It was then when I realized that the arrow that had ricochet had pierced Baekhyun.

 

He had been hit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Thank you for your waiting! I know I have been slow on the recent updates but it was hard to write this chapter without having to repeat information or letting it go on for too long. Also, just a reminder that I do have a new story you should all check out IF you are freaking out about this cliff hanger. 

;)

 

New Story:
Diaphanous

Don't worry! I won't let too much time pass before the next update.